Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 295311 times)

SirCletusIV

• Rep: 0
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3360 on: March 18, 2018, 09:00:34 PM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

What wheelbase are your previous boards? You sure you set on a 15 in wheelbase? Do you skate transition?

I never looked at wheelbase when riding my previous boards. I tried looking for the wheelbase of my last board which was this pink Real James hardy board but It's older and i can't find it anywhere online let alone the specs. I try to skate everything but I would like to improve my flatground game a lot. My reasoning behind the 15 inch wheel base size is that I'm a tall guy and I heard a longer wheelbase would improve my center of gravity a bit more.

Most boards have a wheelbase between 14 and 14.75 inches, with the normal being about 14.25 - 14.38 ish. 15 inches is very long, it could get quite tedious for flatground. I'm a lot taller than you and I find that 14.75 is as long as I'm willing to go. While a longer wheelbase is undoubtedly more stable, it also takes a lot more effort to spin/flip etc. I would recommend you find something along the lines of a 14.75 ish wheelbase board, see if you like that, and if you do, either stick with it or then try 15 inches. Going from a standard wheelbase to 15 inches is a pretty drastic change, and could throw you off quite a bit.

Fair enough I'll look for another substitute. My problem is  I'm a heavier dude and I want something to last a while and the Powell flight boards that are my size are both 15 inch wheelbase sizes. It seems to be the only board with technology that isn't a gimmick. I was thinking that getting ace trucks could kind of diminish the wheelbase size of the board as I've heard people say they give the board a shorter feel. Idk.

It's true, aces to diminish wheelbase, but the effect trucks have on wheelbase, unless you change from polar opposites like from Thunder to Ace/Theeve, is minimal. So aces plus the powell could actually however work with the powell 15 inch wheelbase board, making it a bit more manageable, like a 14.8 inch wheelbase board or something (don't quote me, just a random guess). So in a sense it would balance out a bit while still having a far longer than usual wheelbase.

I hope so. Like i said, i don't have a lot of options being a bigger guy and i hate getting mushy boards after the first week of skating so for right now powell flight boards seem to be my best bet. I'll just have to take a chance and see if can still keep my flatground game with a 15 inch wheelbase board with aces.

What trucks are you riding now?

i'm riding 149 indys right now

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3361 on: March 18, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
Okay so the soft metal on the ace trucks takes almost no time to get use to

Theyíre actually really nice trucks

Compared to Indy they donít turn as smoothly but they do carve as much but in turn for smooth they react quick like a thunder and act stable like a thunder

They feel nice for tre flips and feel type tricks but straight tricks like kick flips and heel flips take some adjusting

Overall in my opinion I like them a lot, might go back to Indy though cause idk, Indyís feel great out the gate even when you arenít warmed up and stretched Indy just flow but weíll see, these ace arenít bad at all. Definitely top 3

The ace feel like a carvy turny thunder, to me, And this is with the stock bushings which if you didnít see in the ace trucks thread itís a different Duro top and bottom stock they got going on

You know.. I never thought I'd say this, but I totally wholeheartedly agree with this.

I have amazing kickflips with Thunders, but I can't seem to figure them out decently with Ace's. When I do them often times I end up turning frontside.

Thanks for knowing too mongoloid, I know what Iím feeling canít be just me even if I am considered the crazy guy on this thread and the whole message boards

to me a thunder and Aces are polar opposite trucks....the only thing they have in common is they aren't indys.

I can see why you say because thunders are really stable and tight and aces are usually unstable and loose but I think that would be old ace cause I got the new ones called the ďclassicsĒ and the way the bushings squeak and respond reminded me straight thunder/venture bushings but the geometry pushes the turning more
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #3362 on: March 19, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

What wheelbase are your previous boards? You sure you set on a 15 in wheelbase? Do you skate transition?

I never looked at wheelbase when riding my previous boards. I tried looking for the wheelbase of my last board which was this pink Real James hardy board but It's older and i can't find it anywhere online let alone the specs. I try to skate everything but I would like to improve my flatground game a lot. My reasoning behind the 15 inch wheel base size is that I'm a tall guy and I heard a longer wheelbase would improve my center of gravity a bit more.

Most boards have a wheelbase between 14 and 14.75 inches, with the normal being about 14.25 - 14.38 ish. 15 inches is very long, it could get quite tedious for flatground. I'm a lot taller than you and I find that 14.75 is as long as I'm willing to go. While a longer wheelbase is undoubtedly more stable, it also takes a lot more effort to spin/flip etc. I would recommend you find something along the lines of a 14.75 ish wheelbase board, see if you like that, and if you do, either stick with it or then try 15 inches. Going from a standard wheelbase to 15 inches is a pretty drastic change, and could throw you off quite a bit.

Fair enough I'll look for another substitute. My problem is  I'm a heavier dude and I want something to last a while and the Powell flight boards that are my size are both 15 inch wheelbase sizes. It seems to be the only board with technology that isn't a gimmick. I was thinking that getting ace trucks could kind of diminish the wheelbase size of the board as I've heard people say they give the board a shorter feel. Idk.

It's true, aces to diminish wheelbase, but the effect trucks have on wheelbase, unless you change from polar opposites like from Thunder to Ace/Theeve, is minimal. So aces plus the powell could actually however work with the powell 15 inch wheelbase board, making it a bit more manageable, like a 14.8 inch wheelbase board or something (don't quote me, just a random guess). So in a sense it would balance out a bit while still having a far longer than usual wheelbase.

I hope so. Like i said, i don't have a lot of options being a bigger guy and i hate getting mushy boards after the first week of skating so for right now powell flight boards seem to be my best bet. I'll just have to take a chance and see if can still keep my flatground game with a 15 inch wheelbase board with aces.

I just measured two of my setups. Both 14.5" wheelbase boards. Other with Indy 149s and other with Ace 44s. The real wheelbase of the Indy setup is 446 mm and the one with Aces has a 439 mm wheelbase. So, that's a 7 mm difference. 0.28" Pretty small, but I guess it's not insignificant as I feel like I can definitely notice a difference between 14.25" and 14.5" wheelbase boards. Maybe I should be getting boards that have an even longer wheelbase to pair with the Aces. 🤔

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3363 on: March 19, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
The truck madness has become for me.

I have thunder 148 team hollow with bones medium with both washers (without the geometry of the truck is slightly off) on a real full se 8.38 and Krux 8.5 stock on a real 8.38 full (I measured and it's definitely an 8.5).

I realized that thunder extend your web by 3 inches and Krux by 2.75.

Mixing up I finally realised 17.375...it kinda works.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3364 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »

I just measured two of my setups. Both 14.5" wheelbase boards. Other with Indy 149s and other with Ace 44s. The real wheelbase of the Indy setup is 446 mm and the one with Aces has a 439 mm wheelbase. So, that's a 7 mm difference. 0.28" Pretty small, but I guess it's not insignificant as I feel like I can definitely notice a difference between 14.25" and 14.5" wheelbase boards. Maybe I should be getting boards that have an even longer wheelbase to pair with the Aces. 🤔

But when you factor in turning radius- you can't really compare wheelbases like this... Thunder push the axles out but they turn tighter. You're all losing your minds.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #3365 on: March 19, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »

But when you factor in turning radius- you can't really compare wheelbases like this... Thunder push the axles out but they turn tighter. You're all losing your minds.

Exactly. My ďproblemĒ is that I hate short boards. 15Ē wb with Indys is a bit long though (or maybe itís the fact that itís a clunky 8.9Ē board with 60 mm cruiser wheels and risers). 14.5Ē wb with Aces is alright but somehow I feel a bit longer might be better. Maybe not 15Ē but maybe 14.75Ē or 14.62Ē like the Real 8.38Ē full has. Or maybe Ventures with a 14.5Ē wb board. I just like how Aces perform much better than Indys or Ventures, so Iíd rather make them work. 🤔

The craze is strong but itís all good fun to me still. Hopefully Iíll never reach rob levels of madness. 😊

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #3366 on: March 19, 2018, 11:36:56 AM »

Compared to Indy they donít turn as smoothly but they do carve as much but in turn for smooth they react quick like a thunder and act stable like a thunder

They feel nice for tre flips and feel type tricks but straight tricks like kick flips and heel flips take some adjusting

Overall in my opinion I like them a lot, might go back to Indy though cause idk, Indyís feel great out the gate even when you arenít warmed up and stretched Indy just flow but weíll see, these ace arenít bad at all. Definitely top 3

The ace feel like a carvy turny thunder, to me, And this is with the stock bushings which if you didnít see in the ace trucks thread itís a different Duro top and bottom stock they got going on

You know.. I never thought I'd say this, but I totally wholeheartedly agree with this.

I have amazing kickflips with Thunders, but I can't seem to figure them out decently with Ace's. When I do them often times I end up turning frontside.

Thanks for knowing too mongoloid, I know what Iím feeling canít be just me even if I am considered the crazy guy on this thread and the whole message boards.

Yeah, you definitely nailed it with that assessment. I hate that I have multiple setups with different gear for different purposes. Ever since picking up the board again every little gear nuance makes a noticeable difference in every aspect of skating for me. Back in the day I could skate nearly anything interchangeably (skate trucks from lows to highs, 7.5Ē - 8Ē decks, 50mm - 56mm wheels) and there would be zero difference in my ability. Now thatís definitely not at all the case.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #3367 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
perfect fit shoes madness is in my brain too now, thanks rob ! ;)

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3368 on: March 20, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »

Thanks for knowing too mongoloid, I know what Iím feeling canít be just me even if I am considered the crazy guy on this thread and the whole message boards.

Yeah, you definitely nailed it with that assessment. I hate that I have multiple setups with different gear for different purposes. Ever since picking up the board again every little gear nuance makes a noticeable difference in every aspect of skating for me. Back in the day I could skate nearly anything interchangeably (skate trucks from lows to highs, 7.5Ē - 8Ē decks, 50mm - 56mm wheels) and there would be zero difference in my ability. Now thatís definitely not at all the case.

Haha I think itís just something that happens as you grow with and into your passions, like Iím sure tennis players as kids didnít care about whatever tennis gear is when they were young they just wanna play and will pick up any racket or whatever it is they call it.

I use to be the same not caring just borrowing one of many of my friends setups if I forgot my board and just skated it cause fun but I think itís cause In the early days we all donít have an adjusted style

we all probably in our glory days had off styles that werenít about how to do the tricks properly and with finesse and style but just to land trick after trick and put it in our abd list to tell others

Ahaha my bad, it really is a big deal in my opinion to just have the right fit snug shoes

Not snug cramping your toes but close, I feel having a comfy snug shoe for skating is like having snug gloves for doing precise things with your hands

You have greater control and feel for things when itís snug compared to a sorta loose roomy toe shoe that gives you that off feeling and slip of the flick moment that embarrasses you at the skatePark in a game of skate against some groms sloppy no pop kickflip and you think to yourself how did you mess up on a kickfliP

On a good note these ace classic 44 take some getting use to but damn they are great trucks, gonna keep skating them

Sorry indy, maybe next setup
yes

drinny

« Reply #3369 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:48 AM »
What hardness are the purple bushings in regular Venture 5.25 high these days? DLX distribution I think.

On a fresh pair, real good but sometimes want an extra bit of late compress turn in pools. Not sure whether to experiment with harder or softer.... I ride... medium-tight? No flippy-floppy and probably tighter than I used to since getting back into it this year (I'm 43 lol).

drinny

« Reply #3370 on: March 21, 2018, 04:42:12 AM »
Shoe madness is the real killer for life... trying to transition from well worn Accel OG's and remembering leading foot a bit thinner than back, always get a shifting/gappy feel at some point soon as that initial suede stiff support lapses.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3371 on: March 21, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

Thankfully this one is easy, Nike, DC and Most non-pro vans fit me perfectly (wide toe box) and no jamming my foot towards the front due to my foot sliding forward, something The Kwalks do to me.

Everything else out there is too narrow.

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3372 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
If you go back on Ronnie Creager's Instagram he has a bunch of picks of Pro's setups with detailed descriptions of which part, what size etc.  Good stuff to nerd out over.

FS-OverKOOK

• Rep: -9
« Reply #3373 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:03 PM »
If you go back on Ronnie Creager's Instagram he has a bunch of picks of Pro's setups with detailed descriptions of which part, what size etc.  Good stuff to nerd out over.

so he's saying its a 8.25 with 139s and it appears that the axle is wider than the deck?? I'm guessing those are 149s. I have 149s on a 8.5 and the axle is slightly under the deck and with a 8.25 I would guess the axle would slightly protrude.

drinny

« Reply #3374 on: March 24, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
Reckon the wheels are flush, perfect IMO just the angle making them look over. I never get why so many ride with a board way overhanging tiny trucks.... Maybe a magic carpet feeling or enjoy the sensation of losing all grip on sharp turns :/

Either way as someone else said upthread Venture need to make those 5.8 v-hollows exist again. Raw please (graphics on trucks so off-putting).

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #3375 on: March 24, 2018, 02:51:37 AM »
that pic screams 149s for sure

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3376 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
Watch out guys, looks like tensor made a new truck thatís basically to me looks like a taller thunder(hangar shape) with Indy style baseplates(the front and how it sticks out for slides) and thunder style bushings

As much as you think ima try a set, nahhhh

Iím hooked on the ace/indy train
yes

micky682

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #3377 on: March 28, 2018, 06:57:08 AM »
This winter is messing with my bushings.
Keenan had that special ability to make his switch tricks better than his regular tricks but still let you know they were switch.

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3378 on: March 28, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »
The longer I have been on SLAP the wider my set-up has become. Side effect? Anyway, I have an 8" set up with stage 9 139 Indy's that I really don't want to skate anymore, but I wanted to see if the base plate could be used on my stage 11 149 hanger for my 8.5 to lighten the load a tad. Sure enough, the stage 11 hanger fits perfectly on the stage 9 base plate. Also, the stage 11 base plate with stage 9 hanger measures exactly 53.5, which indicates to me that the additional height in the Stage 11 comes from the hanger. Also, was reading skateboardingismylifetimesport and one of the guys was raving about mini logo trucks and said they only measure 47.5. This seems crazy low, but maybe the added balance of a lower truck would actually cause less wheel bite even though the wheels are closer to the board. Anyone into mini logo trucks?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #3379 on: March 28, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
Watch out guys, looks like tensor made a new truck thatís basically to me looks like a taller thunder(hangar shape) with Indy style baseplates(the front and how it sticks out for slides) and thunder style bushings

they doing it in magnesium? 

backinaction

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3380 on: March 28, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
The longer I have been on SLAP the wider my set-up has become. Side effect? Anyway, I have an 8" set up with stage 9 139 Indy's that I really don't want to skate anymore, but I wanted to see if the base plate could be used on my stage 11 149 hanger for my 8.5 to lighten the load a tad. Sure enough, the stage 11 hanger fits perfectly on the stage 9 base plate. Also, the stage 11 base plate with stage 9 hanger measures exactly 53.5, which indicates to me that the additional height in the Stage 11 comes from the hanger. Also, was reading skateboardingismylifetimesport and one of the guys was raving about mini logo trucks and said they only measure 47.5. This seems crazy low, but maybe the added balance of a lower truck would actually cause less wheel bite even though the wheels are closer to the board. Anyone into mini logo trucks?

On my 8Ē mini logos I use up to a 52 wheel and am ok with the wheel bite. On my 8.38 I am running 55s and have risers bringing them up to 53.2 mm. I prefer them to my Indys. The grind is smoother and the angle at the edge of the hanger does help lock in.

I have  ML 8 and 8.38,   Indy stage 8 146 and 11 159 hollow, thunder 147 hollow light, royal 5.5 inverted and G&S currently built up. Favorite is ML 8.38. They could use a little more kingpin clearance, but thatís my only beef.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:44:40 PM by backinaction »

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3381 on: March 29, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »

Haven’t ridden my sets in a while(have the 8” and 8.38”) but last I remember they felt niceeeee, just I didn’t like how they weren’t solid cause of the hollowed out baseplate making it such an adjustment for me on manuals, but they are definitely worth a try especially for the price. They are excellent beginner price point trucks. They have control like a thunder but carve almost like an Indy it’s crazy, the lower center of gravity does help with flat ground a lot

Watch out guys, looks like tensor made a new truck that’s basically to me looks like a taller thunder(hangar shape) with Indy style baseplates(the front and how it sticks out for slides) and thunder style bushings

I’m hooked on the ace/indy train

Ahaha yeah as usual, the tensor standard is magnesium over titanium

Also I know I asked this before but seriously, which side of the barrel bushings should touch the hangar? The flat sharp edge side with rings on the surface or the smooth round edged flat side?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:29:25 AM by rob »
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3382 on: March 29, 2018, 04:47:03 AM »
Info on the new tesnors - https://tensortrucks.com/

Reinforced hanger, same height as standard Indy's, revised geometry, etc.  People hate on tensors but their quality is top notch since they released the 10's

drinny

« Reply #3383 on: March 29, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
Look weird (ok less weird than previously, but at least that was an identity....) mix of not-quite Thunder/Venture/misc.

I'd be curious to see them in real life, at least they do a full wide range. Wonder what the wheelbase is like compared to V's

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3384 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:00 AM »

Rob is the Bubblegum Tate of trucks...

Havenít ridden my sets in a while(have the 8Ē and 8.38Ē) but last I remember they felt niceeeee, just I didnít like how they werenít solid cause of the hollowed out baseplate making it such an adjustment for me on manuals, but they are definitely worth a try especially for the price. They are excellent beginner price point trucks. They have control like a thunder but carve almost like an Indy itís crazy, the lower center of gravity does help with flat ground a lot

Ahaha yeah as usual, the tensor standard is magnesium over titanium

Also I know I asked this before but seriously, which side of the barrel bushings should touch the hangar? The flat sharp edge side with rings on the surface or the smooth round edged flat side?

schralp pal

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3385 on: March 29, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3386 on: March 29, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
Info on the new tesnors - https://tensortrucks.com/

Reinforced hanger, same height as standard Indy's, revised geometry, etc.  People hate on tensors but their quality is top notch since they released the 10's

I can't front these are actually kind of interesting, although they still kind of have that "wal-mart board" look to them.

Kind of maddening that TENSOR of all brands can afford to make hollow axle/kingpin trucks for the 8.25-8.5+ range but Venture won't. They bullshitting.

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3387 on: March 29, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
I never dreamt the day would come that Tensor would get thrown in the mix of a new truck to try out to satisfy the madness. Not visually appealing but the turning geometry, height, and bushings are. Think theyíll turn like an ace???

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3388 on: March 30, 2018, 12:12:52 AM »
They've had trucks other than lows for a minute now but nobody ever took the time to try them. Ive been skating these new high ones in 151 size for about two weeks. They turn more like a venture does, stable and precise. They extend your wheelbase but not quiet as much as ventures do, like in between thunder and venture. They are extremely light but the magnesium ones are a little more unforgiving and "tin" sounding. You can really feel the surface you are skating on they don't dampen very much. The magnesium slides and grinds really well its really fun, especially to slappy curbs and such or slappy crooked grinds. They wear down about three times as fast as normal trucks and are expensive, but they are a legitimately unique experience. It would be difficult to skate mag ones all the time you would need new trucks about every month or two. I haven't tried the aluminum ones. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3389 on: March 30, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
They've had trucks other than lows for a minute now but nobody ever took the time to try them. Ive been skating these new high ones in 151 size for about two weeks. They turn more like a venture does, stable and precise. They extend your wheelbase but not quiet as much as ventures do, like in between thunder and venture. They are extremely light but the magnesium ones are a little more unforgiving and "tin" sounding. You can really feel the surface you are skating on they don't dampen very much. The magnesium slides and grinds really well its really fun, especially to slappy curbs and such or slappy crooked grinds. They wear down about three times as fast as normal trucks and are expensive, but they are a legitimately unique experience. It would be difficult to skate mag ones all the time you would need new trucks about every month or two. I haven't tried the aluminum ones.

How do you ride, tight or loose?