Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220706 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3360 on: April 03, 2018, 02:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.
[close]

kinda interesting to see someone on here who doesn’t like thunders. I don’t like them either but have kept mum about it. they seem to not turn at all and then suddenly jerk to the side. that’s thunder “stability” and “turn.” I prefer even krux over thunders.
Count me in too, never liked thunders.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3361 on: April 03, 2018, 03:03:42 AM »
i've been running these thunders for for a few years now, right now got em on with some spits that are probably 52mm and i still get wheelbite with risers but ive just never really bothered to sort it out. i could probably do with a new set of trucks but something in my head makes me want to stick with these fucking wheelbite prone, fucked up rear kingpin, rear hanger axle groove, cracks in the hangars, axle threads completely fucking destroyed piece of shit thunders

Diocletian

« Reply #3362 on: April 03, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
Anyone ever skate older Thunders from the mid to late 90’s after they didn’t look the same as Indy stage 7’s and finally took their own shape? How was the turn compared to the latest Thunder geometry? Still really low with a lot of wheelbite?

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #3363 on: April 03, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.

Standard Thunders or team baseplates?

I just picked up a set of Thunder Team Hollow 148's to kill my curiosity... Had been skating Stnd Indy 144's.

I feel like something a tad lower and lighter would be nice... I ride a loose setup with 52's, so I'l report back.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3364 on: April 03, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
This winter is messing with my bushings.

After january I stopped going outside, right now I'm not skating unless the sun is out!

Because of this winter I have two warped decks. One of them I barely even got to skate :(

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3365 on: April 03, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kinda interesting to see someone on here who doesn’t like thunders. I don’t like them either but have kept mum about it. they seem to not turn at all and then suddenly jerk to the side. that’s thunder “stability” and “turn.” I prefer even krux over thunders.

I like thunders, but sometimes I feel like they're kind of unpredictable. They've bit me in the ass more times than any other truck. I do think they feel stable, and I don't mind the turn.. But they have a weird thing that happens where they turn so quick that you can get chucked at the oddest moments.

I don't remember if I talked about it before, but twice I've been thrown for seemingly no reason. Just pushing or riding along, and next thing I know I'm upside down looking up at the sky..

I like thunders enough that I still ride them (They need to be the highest model, with harder bushings than stock, that's the only way I can ride them), but I also keep three other setups with indys too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:40:32 AM by JusticeAbberdash »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3366 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
I can see the wheelbite being annoying is fair ball.....nothing worse than landing a decent kickflip and getting bucked for landing a bit too much heel or toe....

I've got the bug of wanting the current standard issue ie. 8.25....the tih's not grinding is starting to annoy me and I think I'm over getting axel slip again. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3367 on: April 03, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »
I tend to get wheelbite no matter what I'm riding but it's way worse on Thunders; used to ride the old 149s that were really low, very loose with 53mm wheels and it was wheelbite for fucking days, not much has changed even with that WHOPPING 1mm diff from the cast plates and still riding 53mm ;)

It's why I went to ACE/theeve in the first place. Oddly, ACE being so low don't cause as much wheelbite.

such

« Reply #3368 on: April 03, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
anyone skating a smaller truck? ive been skating an 8.25 with 149 trucks for a while now, and while i like the stability i feel like my flips are waaaay slower and i also feel like its harder to stay on top of grinds, especially 50-50s. i know indy has an 8.25 truck, but i dont know if i would even notice a difference between that and 149s, so im thinking of just going down to 139s.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3369 on: April 03, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
anyone skating a smaller truck? ive been skating an 8.25 with 149 trucks for a while now, and while i like the stability i feel like my flips are waaaay slower and i also feel like its harder to stay on top of grinds, especially 50-50s. i know indy has an 8.25 truck, but i dont know if i would even notice a difference between that and 149s, so im thinking of just going down to 139s.
In my opinion from skating both (Im not sure if I know yet what im talking about though, ive been searching so feel free to disregard my posts) you will definitely notice the difference on 8.25. I would stick with 144 unless you are planning on sizing down to 8, if you want to stick with 8.1-8.4 go with 144.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:51:49 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3370 on: April 03, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »

Going down to a stock pair of 139s (ie no extra inner washers, no purposefully wider wheels) is gonna feel magic carpety, 144s are a solid truck.

i've been tossing up bumping from 144 to 149 but i really like how these new indys work out

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3371 on: April 03, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
Sounds a bit weird...but I went from a round cut conical type wheel to a straight cut....suddenly.... More truck!  I think less about riding narrower trucks....

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3372 on: April 03, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »
Oh yeah, wheel shape can effect how you turn

Idk why, but I like the way tensor regs look, I can’t get over them and how hyped I am on Daewon since the beginning and how his setup is and riding tensor, and now I’m also hyped on zered and he’s an east coaster too and his setup and how gnar he is so

I took my hype to life and setup my tensor regs the zered way, spitfire wheels and bones medium bushings and I can see the difference, definitely bones bushings make tensors wayyyyyyy better

And I’m riding them medium loose and it’s feels awesome, not as smooth as ace or Indy but idk...it feels sick! Like the days you wanna mimick your favorite pro cause you finally have something of their product and can skate somewhat like them
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3373 on: April 03, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »

Idk why, but I like the way tensor regs look, I can’t get over them and how hyped I am on Daewon since the beginning and how his setup is and riding tensor, and now I’m also hyped on zered and he’s an east coaster too and his setup and how gnar he is so

I took my hype to life and setup my tensor regs the zered way, spitfire wheels and bones medium bushings and I can see the difference, definitely bones bushings make tensors wayyyyyyy better

And I’m riding them medium loose and it’s feels awesome, not as smooth as ace or Indy but idk...it feels sick! Like the days you wanna mimick your favorite pro cause you finally have something of their product and can skate somewhat like them

Pretty sure those dudes can skate anything you give them!

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3374 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:48 PM »
Can Venture please get on the 8.25 hype and make some 5.5s again?! I'm like goldilocks over here, 5.8s too big, 5.2 too small...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3375 on: April 04, 2018, 12:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty sure those dudes can skate anything you give them!

True, but really though stock tensors are pretty trash

Throw some classic broken in double action bones bushings and the tensors are actually decent and rideable

My backside 180 are actually popped and I can easily pull off a lazy bs 360 where you slide the last 180
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3376 on: April 04, 2018, 06:15:58 AM »
Can Venture please get on the 8.25 hype and make some 5.5s again?! I'm like goldilocks over here, 5.8s too big, 5.2 too small...

Feel that. That's odd to me that they don't.

I'm down to 2 setups. Both are the same minus trucks. 8.0 deck, 52 mm Spitfire Bigheads, Swiss bearings. Oh another difference is hardware I guess? One has shorty's 7/8 and other has diamond mike Carroll 7/8. Anywho, I've got Indy standard 139s on one, and Venture lo 5.25s on the other. I quite like them both. Venture are underrated to me, I think they turn ok. I haven't skated them on tranny in years but Wade was a monster on them, before he switched to Indy

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3377 on: April 04, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
Never knew these existed, circa 2003. They're like quasi bones-bushings w/lower kingpin clearance:

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3378 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »

i skate thunders and i tried both 149s and 147s on 8.25 decks (before the 148s came out) and i definitely liked the 147s more. i also felt like grinds were harder to lock in on the 149s, however i didn't have any problems with flip tricks. i'm skating an antihero 8.5 with 147s right now and they still feel good.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3379 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I like thunders, but sometimes I feel like they're kind of unpredictable. They've bit me in the ass more times than any other truck. I do think they feel stable, and I don't mind the turn.. But they have a weird thing that happens where they turn so quick that you can get chucked at the oddest moments.

I don't remember if I talked about it before, but twice I've been thrown for seemingly no reason. Just pushing or riding along, and next thing I know I'm upside down looking up at the sky..

I like thunders enough that I still ride them (They need to be the highest model, with harder bushings than stock, that's the only way I can ride them), but I also keep three other setups with indys too.

I tried to get on the Thunder Bandwagon too but I like loose-ish trucks and I was getting pitched from wheelbite just carving.

I tend to get wheelbite no matter what I'm riding but it's way worse on Thunders; used to ride the old 149s that were really low, very loose with 53mm wheels and it was wheelbite for fucking days, not much has changed even with that WHOPPING 1mm diff from the cast plates and still riding 53mm ;)

It's why I went to ACE/theeve in the first place. Oddly, ACE being so low don't cause as much wheelbite.

How does Theeve compare to Ace?

Thirded.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3380 on: April 05, 2018, 06:38:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

quick update: got pitched on the sesh yesterday turning out of a fucking front rock on tranny, over these things.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3381 on: April 05, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Venture 5.8 V-Lights over the normal highs? Forged baseplate and hollow kingpin and that's it? Worth it? Same 1.5 mm height difference as forged gives on Indys? Making them 52 mm? 🤔

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3382 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »
RE Thunders:

I currently have my 147s set up with a 1/10 riser and 51 wheels so my wheel bite isn't too bad. I do get the occasional stop, but I am putting up with it because of the pop.  My ollies on other trucks had been good - no complaints.  I put Thunders on a setup and I found myself getting more height pretty naturally.  Then I stepped on one of my other setups that I have skated plenty and found my timing was off. I can't get the same height I had last month.  Thunders just ollie better for me.  I'll still keep other trucks on boards for pool/transition, but for street I'm going to put up with the wheelbite for now.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3383 on: April 05, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
Reminds me of what someone said before: "Thunders are good if you're just skating in a straight line."

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3384 on: April 05, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thirded.

What size Ventures would a normal person run on an straight 8' deck?

I'm on 5.2's with 7.75 deck, +1 extra inner washer to get my wheels absolutely flush with my board edge (no axles don't stick out, can't see them rolling from above etc.)

Does anyone make thinner axle nuts?? I see these being a thing in my future.... and about 5 washers lol

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3385 on: April 05, 2018, 09:04:41 AM »

Does anyone make thinner axle nuts?? I see these being a thing in my future.... and about 5 washers lol

Quick eBay search leads to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-100-5-16-24-Hex-Jam-Nylon-Insert-Lock-nut-Nylock-Stainless-Steel-Half-Height/162331765168?hash=item25cbba29b0:g:JH4AAOSwux5YXZFG:sc:USPSFirstClass!94110!US!-1

EDIT: Not thinner, just less threads and more nylock
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:06:47 PM by backinaction »

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3386 on: April 05, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-100-5-16-24-Hex-Jam-Nylon-Insert-Lock-nut-Nylock-Stainless-Steel-Half-Height/162331765168?hash=item25cbba29b0:g:JH4AAOSwux5YXZFG:sc:USPSFirstClass!94110!US!-1

cheers!

anything to avoid buying new trucks lol

I only recently did the washer trick and it's made quite a difference for certain stuff (or placebo).

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3387 on: April 05, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

cheers!

anything to avoid buying new trucks lol

I only recently did the washer trick and it's made quite a difference for certain stuff (or placebo).

I always use enough washers on the inside of my wheel so the nut is flush to the axle. I can't stand having threads showing - mainly because they get fucked up.

I don't know how thin these nuts are compared to regular skate nuts, but if you could get 1/8" per side it would give you the equivalent of 1 size truck up on Thunder or Indy, and give you those in-between sizes for the companies that don't have them.

I did a bit more research and those nuts I linked to on eBay were .265" thick.  I took a caliper to regular skate nuts and measured .255" thick.    The eBay nuts just have more nylock and less threads, but are the same overall thickness.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:08:14 PM by backinaction »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3388 on: April 05, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thirded.
[close]

I'm on 5.2's with 7.75 deck, +1 extra inner washer to get my wheels absolutely flush with my board edge (no axles don't stick out, can't see them rolling from above etc.)

I ride 5.2s on an 8.06. It feels pretty much flush to me (maybe a tiny bit of board overhang) although your wheels' width could cause some variation.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3389 on: April 05, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thirded.
[close]

[close]

I ride 5.2s on an 8.06. It feels pretty much flush to me (maybe a tiny bit of board overhang) although your wheels' width could cause some variation.
I used to ride 5.0's on an 8" board, I liked the little bit of overhang.  5.2's will give you more flush, maybe try those ace 3/8" nuts? I don't know man, I like to keep my axles flush or under, not my wheels.