Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296608 times)

Sad Hippo

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3390 on: March 30, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
They've had trucks other than lows for a minute now but nobody ever took the time to try them. Ive been skating these new high ones in 151 size for about two weeks. They turn more like a venture does, stable and precise. They extend your wheelbase but not quiet as much as ventures do, like in between thunder and venture. They are extremely light but the magnesium ones are a little more unforgiving and "tin" sounding. You can really feel the surface you are skating on they don't dampen very much. The magnesium slides and grinds really well its really fun, especially to slappy curbs and such or slappy crooked grinds. They wear down about three times as fast as normal trucks and are expensive, but they are a legitimately unique experience. It would be difficult to skate mag ones all the time you would need new trucks about every month or two. I haven't tried the aluminum ones.
Look at the axle is in comparison to where the baseplate holes are. They do not extend the wheelbase.  Tensors were always some of the shortest when it came to wheelbase deviation, shorter than indy at least.  He probably doesn't have them, and has no idea what he's talking about.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #3391 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
I'm sure they've changed but Rodney engineered the truck not to carve...but to provide some lateral movement for balance.....I remember Haslam skating the hi's and being way more stoked when he got on Indy in how they turned.....we can talk about this...but it's just madness.....I guess though if you are looking for light trucks that grind great...these could be the ones.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3392 on: March 30, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
They've had trucks other than lows for a minute now but nobody ever took the time to try them. Ive been skating these new high ones in 151 size for about two weeks. They turn more like a venture does, stable and precise. They extend your wheelbase but not quiet as much as ventures do, like in between thunder and venture. They are extremely light but the magnesium ones are a little more unforgiving and "tin" sounding. You can really feel the surface you are skating on they don't dampen very much. The magnesium slides and grinds really well its really fun, especially to slappy curbs and such or slappy crooked grinds. They wear down about three times as fast as normal trucks and are expensive, but they are a legitimately unique experience. It would be difficult to skate mag ones all the time you would need new trucks about every month or two. I haven't tried the aluminum ones.
Look at the axle is in comparison to where the baseplate holes are. They do not extend the wheelbase.  Tensors were always some of the shortest when it came to wheelbase deviation, shorter than indy at least.  He probably doesn't have them, and has no idea what he's talking about.

I always skated the tensor regs, I pre ordered these in November when they announced them to shops. They came in mid March. Been skating them for two weeks now. They turn similar to ventures in my opinion. Maybe they donít extend the wheelbase I could be wrong, but they feel similar to ventures they are not at all surfy like ace or like Indy. Buy them and try them and feel free to form your own opinion. In that photo the axle is forward towards the front mounting holes, so do you know what you are talking about?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:47:49 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3393 on: March 30, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »

How do you ride, tight or loose?
Medium-loose, but I am 210lbs. Iím using the stock bushings with bones top washers instead of regular washers. The stock bushings are pretty stiff but perfect for me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:26:42 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3394 on: March 31, 2018, 01:56:58 AM »
Iíve had both the low and reg 10ís aluminum

Theyíre not good trucks, trust me

I'm sure they've changed but Rodney engineered the truck not to carve...but to provide some lateral movement for balance.....I remember Haslam skating the hi's and being way more stoked when he got on Indy in how they turned.....we can talk about this...but it's just madness.....I guess though if you are looking for light trucks that grind great...these could be the ones.

I can tell why, I swapped the tensor Regs back to my indy standard stg11 144 and damn it was a dream, free feeling carvy turning

The tensor arenít that bad but they are definitely not good, I donít get how zered rips riding them. Maybe cause the bones bushings make it a tad more bearable

I canít decide between ace or Indy but so far I kinda like how Indyís feel more smooth and solid, the ace were rockin but idk...I kinda miss the way the latest indy turn but I love the way ace feel, they feel so classic working trucks that just do what they were meant for, skating and tricks

But yeah, Indyís feel better for rolling around free roaming here and there
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3395 on: March 31, 2018, 07:56:05 AM »
Yah someone mentioned that Tensors turn kinda like ventures.....I could see that for sure.  I sort of judge how trucks turn based on just carving around on street and a frontside carve in a bowled corner...

Indy is just a good stable predictable turn....it's a nice broad circle....Ace's are nice and stable and then they hook sharply....that's why I say they are the opposites of thunders which turn sharply then bottom out.  Aces are super fun though....

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #3396 on: April 02, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #3397 on: April 02, 2018, 10:52:39 PM »
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.

kinda interesting to see someone on here who doesnít like thunders. I donít like them either but have kept mum about it. they seem to not turn at all and then suddenly jerk to the side. thatís thunder ďstabilityĒ and ďturn.Ē I prefer even krux over thunders.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:54:18 PM by ChuckRamone »

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3398 on: April 02, 2018, 11:18:56 PM »
stick some risers on them?

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3399 on: April 03, 2018, 02:51:28 AM »

kinda interesting to see someone on here who doesnít like thunders. I donít like them either but have kept mum about it. they seem to not turn at all and then suddenly jerk to the side. thatís thunder ďstabilityĒ and ďturn.Ē I prefer even krux over thunders.
Count me in too, never liked thunders.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 116
« Reply #3400 on: April 03, 2018, 03:03:42 AM »
i've been running these thunders for for a few years now, right now got em on with some spits that are probably 52mm and i still get wheelbite with risers but ive just never really bothered to sort it out. i could probably do with a new set of trucks but something in my head makes me want to stick with these fucking wheelbite prone, fucked up rear kingpin, rear hanger axle groove, cracks in the hangars, axle threads completely fucking destroyed piece of shit thunders

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3401 on: April 03, 2018, 05:37:33 AM »
Anyone ever skate older Thunders from the mid to late 90ís after they didnít look the same as Indy stage 7ís and finally took their own shape? How was the turn compared to the latest Thunder geometry? Still really low with a lot of wheelbite?

se7en3two

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3402 on: April 03, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »

Standard Thunders or team baseplates?

I just picked up a set of Thunder Team Hollow 148's to kill my curiosity... Had been skating Stnd Indy 144's.

I feel like something a tad lower and lighter would be nice... I ride a loose setup with 52's, so I'l report back.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3403 on: April 03, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
This winter is messing with my bushings.

After january I stopped going outside, right now I'm not skating unless the sun is out!

Because of this winter I have two warped decks. One of them I barely even got to skate :(

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3404 on: April 03, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »

I like thunders, but sometimes I feel like they're kind of unpredictable. They've bit me in the ass more times than any other truck. I do think they feel stable, and I don't mind the turn.. But they have a weird thing that happens where they turn so quick that you can get chucked at the oddest moments.

I don't remember if I talked about it before, but twice I've been thrown for seemingly no reason. Just pushing or riding along, and next thing I know I'm upside down looking up at the sky..

I like thunders enough that I still ride them (They need to be the highest model, with harder bushings than stock, that's the only way I can ride them), but I also keep three other setups with indys too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:40:32 AM by JusticeAbberdash »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3405 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
I can see the wheelbite being annoying is fair ball.....nothing worse than landing a decent kickflip and getting bucked for landing a bit too much heel or toe....

I've got the bug of wanting the current standard issue ie. 8.25....the tih's not grinding is starting to annoy me and I think I'm over getting axel slip again. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3406 on: April 03, 2018, 11:29:21 AM »
I tend to get wheelbite no matter what I'm riding but it's way worse on Thunders; used to ride the old 149s that were really low, very loose with 53mm wheels and it was wheelbite for fucking days, not much has changed even with that WHOPPING 1mm diff from the cast plates and still riding 53mm ;)

It's why I went to ACE/theeve in the first place. Oddly, ACE being so low don't cause as much wheelbite.

such

• Rep: -44
« Reply #3407 on: April 03, 2018, 02:23:02 PM »
anyone skating a smaller truck? ive been skating an 8.25 with 149 trucks for a while now, and while i like the stability i feel like my flips are waaaay slower and i also feel like its harder to stay on top of grinds, especially 50-50s. i know indy has an 8.25 truck, but i dont know if i would even notice a difference between that and 149s, so im thinking of just going down to 139s.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3408 on: April 03, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
anyone skating a smaller truck? ive been skating an 8.25 with 149 trucks for a while now, and while i like the stability i feel like my flips are waaaay slower and i also feel like its harder to stay on top of grinds, especially 50-50s. i know indy has an 8.25 truck, but i dont know if i would even notice a difference between that and 149s, so im thinking of just going down to 139s.
In my opinion from skating both (Im not sure if I know yet what im talking about though, ive been searching so feel free to disregard my posts) you will definitely notice the difference on 8.25. I would stick with 144 unless you are planning on sizing down to 8, if you want to stick with 8.1-8.4 go with 144.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:51:49 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3409 on: April 03, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »

Going down to a stock pair of 139s (ie no extra inner washers, no purposefully wider wheels) is gonna feel magic carpety, 144s are a solid truck.

i've been tossing up bumping from 144 to 149 but i really like how these new indys work out

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3410 on: April 03, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
Sounds a bit weird...but I went from a round cut conical type wheel to a straight cut....suddenly.... More truck!  I think less about riding narrower trucks....

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3411 on: April 03, 2018, 07:57:59 PM »
Oh yeah, wheel shape can effect how you turn

Idk why, but I like the way tensor regs look, I canít get over them and how hyped I am on Daewon since the beginning and how his setup is and riding tensor, and now Iím also hyped on zered and heís an east coaster too and his setup and how gnar he is so

I took my hype to life and setup my tensor regs the zered way, spitfire wheels and bones medium bushings and I can see the difference, definitely bones bushings make tensors wayyyyyyy better

And Iím riding them medium loose and itís feels awesome, not as smooth as ace or Indy but idk...it feels sick! Like the days you wanna mimick your favorite pro cause you finally have something of their product and can skate somewhat like them
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3412 on: April 03, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »

Idk why, but I like the way tensor regs look, I canít get over them and how hyped I am on Daewon since the beginning and how his setup is and riding tensor, and now Iím also hyped on zered and heís an east coaster too and his setup and how gnar he is so

I took my hype to life and setup my tensor regs the zered way, spitfire wheels and bones medium bushings and I can see the difference, definitely bones bushings make tensors wayyyyyyy better

And Iím riding them medium loose and itís feels awesome, not as smooth as ace or Indy but idk...it feels sick! Like the days you wanna mimick your favorite pro cause you finally have something of their product and can skate somewhat like them

Pretty sure those dudes can skate anything you give them!

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3413 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:48 PM »
Can Venture please get on the 8.25 hype and make some 5.5s again?! I'm like goldilocks over here, 5.8s too big, 5.2 too small...

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3414 on: April 04, 2018, 12:41:16 AM »

Pretty sure those dudes can skate anything you give them!

True, but really though stock tensors are pretty trash

Throw some classic broken in double action bones bushings and the tensors are actually decent and rideable

My backside 180 are actually popped and I can easily pull off a lazy bs 360 where you slide the last 180
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #3415 on: April 04, 2018, 06:15:58 AM »
Can Venture please get on the 8.25 hype and make some 5.5s again?! I'm like goldilocks over here, 5.8s too big, 5.2 too small...

Feel that. That's odd to me that they don't.

I'm down to 2 setups. Both are the same minus trucks. 8.0 deck, 52 mm Spitfire Bigheads, Swiss bearings. Oh another difference is hardware I guess? One has shorty's 7/8 and other has diamond mike Carroll 7/8. Anywho, I've got Indy standard 139s on one, and Venture lo 5.25s on the other. I quite like them both. Venture are underrated to me, I think they turn ok. I haven't skated them on tranny in years but Wade was a monster on them, before he switched to Indy
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

franquietits

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3416 on: April 04, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »
Never knew these existed, circa 2003. They're like quasi bones-bushings w/lower kingpin clearance:

roba

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3417 on: April 04, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »

i skate thunders and i tried both 149s and 147s on 8.25 decks (before the 148s came out) and i definitely liked the 147s more. i also felt like grinds were harder to lock in on the 149s, however i didn't have any problems with flip tricks. i'm skating an antihero 8.5 with 147s right now and they still feel good.
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

@grandroba

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3418 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »

I like thunders, but sometimes I feel like they're kind of unpredictable. They've bit me in the ass more times than any other truck. I do think they feel stable, and I don't mind the turn.. But they have a weird thing that happens where they turn so quick that you can get chucked at the oddest moments.

I don't remember if I talked about it before, but twice I've been thrown for seemingly no reason. Just pushing or riding along, and next thing I know I'm upside down looking up at the sky..

I like thunders enough that I still ride them (They need to be the highest model, with harder bushings than stock, that's the only way I can ride them), but I also keep three other setups with indys too.

I tried to get on the Thunder Bandwagon too but I like loose-ish trucks and I was getting pitched from wheelbite just carving.

I tend to get wheelbite no matter what I'm riding but it's way worse on Thunders; used to ride the old 149s that were really low, very loose with 53mm wheels and it was wheelbite for fucking days, not much has changed even with that WHOPPING 1mm diff from the cast plates and still riding 53mm ;)

It's why I went to ACE/theeve in the first place. Oddly, ACE being so low don't cause as much wheelbite.

How does Theeve compare to Ace?

Thirded.

doublesteveburger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #3419 on: April 05, 2018, 06:38:14 AM »

quick update: got pitched on the sesh yesterday turning out of a fucking front rock on tranny, over these things.