Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220931 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3390 on: April 05, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.
[close]

kinda interesting to see someone on here who doesn’t like thunders. I don’t like them either but have kept mum about it. they seem to not turn at all and then suddenly jerk to the side. that’s thunder “stability” and “turn.” I prefer even krux over thunders.
[close]

I like thunders, but sometimes I feel like they're kind of unpredictable. They've bit me in the ass more times than any other truck. I do think they feel stable, and I don't mind the turn.. But they have a weird thing that happens where they turn so quick that you can get chucked at the oddest moments.

I don't remember if I talked about it before, but twice I've been thrown for seemingly no reason. Just pushing or riding along, and next thing I know I'm upside down looking up at the sky..

I like thunders enough that I still ride them (They need to be the highest model, with harder bushings than stock, that's the only way I can ride them), but I also keep three other setups with indys too.
[close]

I tried to get on the Thunder Bandwagon too but I like loose-ish trucks and I was getting pitched from wheelbite just carving.

Expand Quote
I tend to get wheelbite no matter what I'm riding but it's way worse on Thunders; used to ride the old 149s that were really low, very loose with 53mm wheels and it was wheelbite for fucking days, not much has changed even with that WHOPPING 1mm diff from the cast plates and still riding 53mm ;)

It's why I went to ACE/theeve in the first place. Oddly, ACE being so low don't cause as much wheelbite.

[close]

How does Theeve compare to Ace?

Expand Quote
Can Venture please get on the 8.25 hype and make some 5.5s again?! I'm like goldilocks over here, 5.8s too big, 5.2 too small...
[close]

Thirded.

Theeve are the closest you'll get to ACE (the prototypes ran on ACE plates); they are a bit less turny than ACE and more carvy but stable on center like Thunders); I'm hoping to pick up some 8.5" tiax soon. Honestly, if you can't choose between Indy or Thunder, Theeve or ACE bridge the gap (tho choose ACE if you ride loose/carve and Theeve if you straight-line - they carve great but getting ACEs to go in a straight line take some effort, hard ass bushings and cranking them down to break their turnylove.

Currently riding 8.18" TiKings with bones softs top and bottom and ACEs with 88a indy aftermarket conicals; I can essentially bring both to a session and have no adjustment issues switching boards, something I can't do with either truck and shifting to indy or thunders. That make sense at all? :P

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3391 on: April 05, 2018, 10:57:30 PM »
Yah..I say Theeve is between an Indy and an Ace.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3392 on: April 06, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
Now you guys are making me wanna setup my theeve Tiax to try...
But 8.18 or 8...

Also I feel the broken In ace bushings now, I was riding them like 1-2 threads down then took off the bushings for a day and let them return and spring back to shape and threw them back in but barely flush(almost nylon) and damn they are smooth, but stable.
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3393 on: April 06, 2018, 04:20:29 AM »
I posted this in the Ace thread and some of you might already know but the new stock bushings on the Ace "Classics" are incredible. 

When they redesigned the trucks with a beefier hanger, they came with rock hard bushings that literally took 10+ sessions to break in.  The new soft bottom/harder top bushings feel broken in immediately and have an amazing turn and stability.

I always thought you would want a harder bushing on the bottom but I was wrong.  They nailed it with the new ones

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #3394 on: April 06, 2018, 05:57:28 AM »
Are these the ones? I want to try the new bushings, but just got a pair of one of the older builds.
http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=21081

BMCsteve

« Reply #3395 on: April 06, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »
Are these the ones? I want to try the new bushings, but just got a pair of one of the older builds.
http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=21081

It's hard to say because SoCal just updates their stock but not the description.   If you want to be safe, order them directly from Ace

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/accessories/products/ace-stock-bushings

BMCsteve

« Reply #3396 on: April 06, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
Also, I didn't do a comparison but i think the new top bushing might be a couple MM shorter than the old ones which is also a good thing

Not Local

« Reply #3397 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:18 AM »
I posted this in the Ace thread and some of you might already know but the new stock bushings on the Ace "Classics" are incredible. 

When they redesigned the trucks with a beefier hanger, they came with rock hard bushings that literally took 10+ sessions to break in.  The new soft bottom/harder top bushings feel broken in immediately and have an amazing turn and stability.

I always thought you would want a harder bushing on the bottom but I was wrong.  They nailed it with the new ones

Very true. Nice to have trucks that come with good bushings finally.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3398 on: April 06, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »
Also, I didn't do a comparison but i think the new top bushing might be a couple MM shorter than the old ones which is also a good thing

Kingpin the same length? I'd imagine with shorter tops there would be more thread exposed? They, like Theeve, have long pins to begin with due to taller bushings (even if they squashout).

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #3399 on: April 06, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »

Does the beefier hanger make the truck heavier?

BMCsteve

« Reply #3400 on: April 06, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kingpin the same length? I'd imagine with shorter tops there would be more thread exposed? They, like Theeve, have long pins to begin with due to taller bushings (even if they squashout).

I think the kingpin is the same length.  my problem with the old bushings is that I would have to really crank them down to get the kingpin flush.  now it's no problem.  I think a lot of people were sanding down the old top bushings

BMCsteve

« Reply #3401 on: April 06, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does the beefier hanger make the truck heavier?

Slightly heavier but if you're skating Ace's, you probably don't care about weight anyway.  After spending a small fortune on titanium trucks, I'm now convinced that weight means absolutely nothing (for my skating at least)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3402 on: April 06, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
That could be the first step....or has the madness just shifted.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3403 on: April 06, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
Weight screws with certain tricks of mine, too light and shit flys away, too heavy and rotations feel wonky. I tend to ride 8.25/8.3 - a 8.3 with ACEs and that shit feel clunky has hell for flippity shit but great for bowls.

BMCsteve

« Reply #3404 on: April 06, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Weight screws with certain tricks of mine, too light and shit flys away, too heavy and rotations feel wonky. I tend to ride 8.25/8.3 - a 8.3 with ACEs and that shit feel clunky has hell for flippity shit but great for bowls.

Yeah, I just stopped flipping my board.  Problem solved! haha

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3405 on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:43 PM »
I love my ace classic 44, love love love them

They feel literally as the name calls, a classic truck. They’re solid, turn solid, feel solid. They feel like what a standard normal good premium skateboard truck should feel like. Turns but isn’t crazy soft and loose, stable but not tight, and weight is actually good being lighter than Indy’s significantly in my opinion. Flip tricks feel solid on them too, takes a few adjustments but once you get adjusted kickflips feel good, I’ve been catching them bolts too 90% of the time which is usually not common, like 50/50 bolts or tail and middle of board land with other trucks

I skate 8-8.1 decks and was testing trucks as usual skating some flat street doing lines, Ollie up curbs, quick 50-50’s and so far I’d have to say Indy 139 are nice and definitely great but aces are just a tab better. I was getting my bs 360 better with the aces too

Gonna go back and test my thunders with all this thunder talk, I just remember going to the Indy/ace side cause it was true what Ben degros said with the whole wheelbase and teeter totter thing where thunders make it heavier cause of the pushed out wheelbase but maybe they aren’t that bad...I do get better board feel with indy/ace but...

Why did I like them so much before? Also was re watching old batb and seeing Chris cole and Shane O’Neill beating people with such consistency got my goat

yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3406 on: April 07, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »
OCD Rant on trucks v.234312423.0

See you in a week, on indy or thunder ;)

(I feel your pain)

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3407 on: April 07, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »
I think I finally got my Indys (standard 139s) where I need them. Skated earlier in the day and while I enjoyed the turn more with the trucks looser, my tricks felt more luck than skill (not stable landings). So just now, tightened front truck a half rotation and rear a full rotation .. and finally feels pretty good. I wish my turn was a smidge more loose but I like where my kickflips are at now.

(P.s. I still like my Ventures too though! Kickflips feel a smidge better on my Ventures)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3408 on: April 08, 2018, 12:39:46 AM »
Expand Quote
OCD Rant on trucks v.234312423.0
[close]

See you in a week, on indy or thunder ;)

(I feel your pain)

Haha yeah I can’t choose, skated the thunders today and all I can say is...

It’s all preference now, in the way of who you wanna support or how you wanna turn cause after today I realized the only factors that keep you consistent is basically riding the same gear. Everything

I been riding the same formula 4 gt 99a, modus bearings, and krooked 8.06 cromer, And gt blazers for the last 2 months and seriously almost every truck I plugged has worked. Some better than other but seriously they all worked(except stock tensors of course)

But yeah, the thunders were actually ok, my kick flips and everything were a bit better and more consistent cause of the lower height and stability but it did lack a little board feel and turn. Good turning trucks give better board feel and thunders lacked a bit but boy oh boy my kickflips sucked up to my feet and caught with huge pop so I might keep them on, especially since they’re my most expensive trucks

Titanium lights, light but it’s all gimmicks

Hollow lights are what you want if you want light, no need for titanium or soft magnesium

It’s always so hard to choose trucks but I say choose the set that is best for whatever skating you have fun with most and do the most, I love street pj Ladd/Shane O’Neil/Chris cole/prod/every pro who doesn’t really do tranny or vert style so probably gonna keep the thunders on. Especially for these crazy catching flip tricks, they just catch with little effort
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3409 on: April 09, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
Kickflips on thunders or ventures really do feel nice. I'm trying to regain what I had with Indys back in stage 6,7, and 8. I'm thinking if I just put in the time I can get used to them. I seriously get like 30 minutes to myself every other day or so, so it's hard to not always feel rusty. I also acknowledge that 99% of it is in my head, and that if I could go skate for hours at a time like pre-kid days, I wouldn't spend all day at work overanalyzing trucks!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3410 on: April 09, 2018, 12:40:31 PM »
Kickflips on thunders or ventures really do feel nice. I'm trying to regain what I had with Indys back in stage 6,7, and 8. I'm thinking if I just put in the time I can get used to them. I seriously get like 30 minutes to myself every other day or so, so it's hard to not always feel rusty. I also acknowledge that 99% of it is in my head, and that if I could go skate for hours at a time like pre-kid days, I wouldn't spend all day at work overanalyzing trucks!

That’s what I do, but luckily for me I get 20 min during lunch breaks everyday to break off some of the rust
yes

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #3411 on: April 09, 2018, 09:00:11 PM »

It's hard to say because SoCal just updates their stock but not the description.   If you want to be safe, order them directly from Ace

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/accessories/products/ace-stock-bushings

Thanks! Just got em they feel awesome, surfy and stable. Like the broken in old ones but a little bouncier feeling.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3412 on: April 11, 2018, 10:28:36 PM »
Here’s a list of truck wheelbases I measured on decks with 14.25” WB:

Ace 44 Hi - 17.13”
Krux K4 Tall 8.25 - 17.25”
Independent 139 Stage 11 - 17.38”
Venture 5.8 Hi - 17.44”
Thunder Team Hollows 147 Hi - 17.69”

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3413 on: April 11, 2018, 10:44:49 PM »

Ace 44 Hi - 17.13”
Venture 5.8 Hi - 17.44”

What are your A and B measurement points? Axle to Axle?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3414 on: April 11, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace 44 Hi - 17.13”
Venture 5.8 Hi - 17.44”
[close]

What are your A and B measurement points? Axle to Axle?

middle of axle to middle of axle.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3415 on: April 11, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »

Ace 44 Hi - 17.13”
Venture 5.8 Hi - 17.44”

Nice! Good info!

Here's a comparison pic of Ace 44s to Venture 5.8s. Rear axles are aligned. Quite a difference.

I fucking love Aces, but I really like the pop on Ventures and the feeling the extended wheelbase (and shorter tail?) gives me. So I'm trying to make these Ventures turn, somehow! Gonna try Bones soft bushings next. Indy super softs weren't soft enough with all the washers in place at least.  :)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #3416 on: April 12, 2018, 12:23:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace 44 Hi - 17.13”
Venture 5.8 Hi - 17.44”
[close]

Nice! Good info!

Here's a comparison pic of Ace 44s to Venture 5.8s. Rear axles are aligned. Quite a difference.

I fucking love Aces, but I really like the pop on Ventures and the feeling the extended wheelbase (and shorter tail?) gives me. So I'm trying to make these Ventures turn, somehow! Gonna try Bones soft bushings next. Indy super softs weren't soft enough with all the washers in place at least.  :)

LOL i never got the whole SLAP claim on "Ventures not turning" granted its been 3 years since i last used ventures but i had the 5.2 high's with bones mediums and they worked fine. I think this general consensus is from the lo's...

You should try the Independent aftermarkets barrels - ive had both bones and indy bushings and the indy ones are WAY better - can just tell by the quality of the urethane and the CNC machine they use
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3417 on: April 12, 2018, 01:22:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44 Hi - 17.13”
Venture 5.8 Hi - 17.44”
[close]

Nice! Good info!

[close]

LOL i never got the whole SLAP claim on "Ventures not turning" granted its been 3 years since i last used ventures but i had the 5.2 high's with bones mediums and they worked fine. I think this general consensus is from the lo's...

You should try the Independent aftermarkets barrels - ive had both bones and indy bushings and the indy ones are WAY better - can just tell by the quality of the urethane and the CNC machine they use
totally agree, I'm riding the same set of black indy barrels for more than a year, still perfect and no signs of weakness

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3418 on: April 12, 2018, 04:26:04 AM »
I weigh more than 90 kg, so I’m not a light guy at all. I’ve tried the Indy blacks and with them I feel like I could as well have solid trucks, where the hanger and baseplate are one continuous piece of metal.

My preference on truck tightness changed drastically after breaking my leg and now I want them loose as possible pretty much. Aces stock with the nut tightened to where it barely stays on is perfect IMO. The only thing is, Aces shorten the wheelbase and I like a long wheelbase and I feel like I get a more controlled and proper pop with Ventures.

Ventures with stock bushings don’t turn deep at all. With Indy super softs it was much better but I still couldn’t get a turn deep enough as easy as I want. So now I’m going to test the Bones softs without washers and if those don’t work, then I’ll probably try the Indy super softs without washers. I feel like the turn is there in Ventures, you just need really soft bushings to get it out of them or some other special stuff, like shorter bushings or something.

I guess it all depends on what you’re used to and what kind of a turn you like. I think all trucks turn but I like it to happen easy and deep. 😊

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3419 on: April 12, 2018, 05:15:51 AM »
^ I have Bones Med with no washers in my Ventures. Feels very loose