Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220743 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3420 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:18 AM »
^ I have Bones Med with no washers in my Ventures. Feels very loose

I put Bones mediums on mine just to test them out now too as can be seen in the pic cuz I had an extra set around. I'll have to wait until Saturday to test them properly though but on the carpet just standing on the board it doesn't feel as loose as Aces with stock bushings, so I'm hoping Bones softs would solve that.  :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3421 on: April 12, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »
We don't talk too much about the hi or lo trucks....I don't think we've reached that level of craziness.....yet.

If we want to get nerdy...what compliments the wheelbase measurement, is how steep the pop is.... Like the ace is set back (wheelbase) but I bet it's a steeper angle on the nose or tail because of the height and geometry of the truck....thunder the angle is not as steep and the truck is lower..... Mellower but quicker pop.

Koo....koo.....

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3422 on: April 12, 2018, 08:22:32 AM »
We don't talk too much about the hi or lo trucks....I don't think we've reached that level of craziness.....yet.

If we want to get nerdy...what compliments the wheelbase measurement, is how steep the pop is.... Like the ace is set back (wheelbase) but I bet it's a steeper angle on the nose or tail because of the height and geometry of the truck....thunder the angle is not as steep and the truck is lower..... Mellower but quicker pop.

Koo....koo.....

You could easily make a comparison if you had a bunch of trucks and some time and patience. Set them up on the same board with the same wheels one after another. Measure the angle the board is at when the tail is on the ground. That can be easily done with the iPhone compass app for example. Swipe left and it'll show you a level and tell you what angle the phone is at. Place the phone on the griptape in the middle of the board and you've got your result.

What these numbers tell anyone is another thing though as I don't think many people have any reference for what would be the optimal for them. But maybe it might come with time if you measured that with every deck. Could definitely use this to get deeper into the madness!  ;D

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3423 on: April 12, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Koo....koo.....
[close]

You could easily make a comparison if you had a bunch of trucks and some time and patience. Set them up on the same board with the same wheels one after another. Measure the angle the board is at when the tail is on the ground. That can be easily done with the iPhone compass app for example. Swipe left and it'll show you a level and tell you what angle the phone is at. Place the phone on the griptape in the middle of the board and you've got your result.

What these numbers tell anyone is another thing though as I don't think many people have any reference for what would be the optimal for them. But maybe it might come with time if you measured that with every deck. Could definitely use this to get deeper into the madness!  ;D
[close]

Most boards aren't identical either, though

That's why I suggested doing it on the same board one after the other.  ;)

I did a quick measurement of a bunch of different setups that I have. Real 8.38" full with Ace 44s, Real 8.38" with Ace 44s, local brand 8.25" with Indy 149s and Doomsayers 8.38" with Venture 5.8s. All with 54 mm wheels.

All were 36° apart from the set up with Ventures, which was 38°. Dunno if that's a significant difference.

I feel like both the Reals pop very different from each other and the set up with Indys definitely pops different than the normal Real 8.38". The set up with Ventures pops very nicely though. I think the feeling of the pop might have more to do with where the tipping point is than the angle you end up with but I really don't know.  :D

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #3424 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »
Yeah each truck tips a bit differently Degros talks about how a truck manuals I think in his reviews.  As mentioned before 'the gap' also affects this.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3425 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »
I found Ventures feel too spread out on Quasi 8.5 deck with 14.25 wb and for some reason on my DOA with 14.5 wb feels closer together. Maybe have something about PS boards they feel much "forward" with the short tails and long nose? Anyone get that feeling when the front truck feels so far away?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3426 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote

Most boards aren't identical either, though
[close]

That's why I suggested doing it on the same board one after the other.  ;)

I did a quick measurement of a bunch of different setups that I have. Real 8.38" full with Ace 44s, Real 8.38" with Ace 44s, local brand 8.25" with Indy 149s and Doomsayers 8.38" with Venture 5.8s. All with 54 mm wheels.

All were 36° apart from the set up with Ventures, which was 38°. Dunno if that's a significant difference.

I feel like both the Reals pop very different from each other and the set up with Indys definitely pops different than the normal Real 8.38". The set up with Ventures pops very nicely though. I think the feeling of the pop might have more to do with where the tipping point is than the angle you end up with but I really don't know.  :D

Good points. I wonder what the standard amount of flat between the trucks and the edges is. Prof. Schmidt always talks about one or two "fingers" of flat as measurement.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3427 on: April 13, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »
All I know is Indys on a 14" wb feel awful and cramped. Back to Ventures.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3428 on: April 14, 2018, 12:18:59 AM »
All I know is Indys on a 14" wb feel awful and cramped. Back to Ventures.
I feel total opposite, skating 8.25” w/14” wb with 149’s indys and this setup feels like my dreams come true, feels like I’m on control again, just like when I was 15yrs old on 7.625” board. I use to skate antihero’s but when I found out about wheelbases realised those boards are having it too much for my tastes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:17:58 AM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3429 on: April 14, 2018, 06:19:37 AM »
I dunno why I try to like these Ventures. They do not turn properly at all.

Bones mediums: way too stiff
Bones softs: wobbly as fuck
Indy super softs with washers: too stiff
Indy super softs without top washer: wobbly as fuck
All stock: No turn
Stock without top washer: wobbly as fuck
Nuts tightened to flush on all
 :o

I don't get it. It's either so wobbly that you've got absolutely no stability whatsoever or then it's super stiff. Tightening even a bit makes it go from the wobbliest truck to the tightest. I'm done. I love Aces and am gonna stick with those. I like the Venture pop. It's crazy. But whatever, I also like to turn and it's not like I can't pop just as high with Aces.   :-X

I'm sorry for being rob 2. Shit happens when you don't get to skate enough.  :D

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3430 on: April 14, 2018, 06:52:57 AM »
Damn that's weird, I have v turns with the indy super softs and washers and I'm loving it. Super responsive, turn on a dime, and no wheelbite at all.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3431 on: April 14, 2018, 06:59:43 AM »
Shit happens when you don't get to skate enough.  :D
Even the soft indy aftermarkets require a decent amount of break in time so its hard to judge how they affect the trucks' turning without skating them for a week or so.  I don't skate ventures but do skate the aftermarket indy bushings and in my experience they are super stiff the first few sessions and then slowly start to feel really good.  This has surely been discussed somewhere in this thread but if you lay the board down on a carpet or something and just lean back and forth for a few minutes a day you can quicken the break in process.  I'm just saying don't dismiss them right out of the gate because they are the most responsive bushings in my opinion.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3432 on: April 14, 2018, 12:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Shit happens when you don't get to skate enough.  :D
[close]
Even the soft indy aftermarkets require a decent amount of break in time so its hard to judge how they affect the trucks' turning without skating them for a week or so.  I don't skate ventures but do skate the aftermarket indy bushings and in my experience they are super stiff the first few sessions and then slowly start to feel really good.  This has surely been discussed somewhere in this thread but if you lay the board down on a carpet or something and just lean back and forth for a few minutes a day you can quicken the break in process.  I'm just saying don't dismiss them right out of the gate because they are the most responsive bushings in my opinion.

I've had them on the Ventures since last fall. I used it as my rain/shit weather setup for a while during the fall and back then I blamed the stiffness of the bushings on the low temperature but now skating it inside I see that they just don't turn the way I want.

When I say that Ventures don't turn, I mean that they don't turn deep enough for me. They turn, but the turn just isn't what I like. It's either too shallow or just flopping side to side and still kinda shallow. Also I don't feel like they return very much at all if you get them to turn a bit deeper which makes carving a bowl feel very weird.

They're just not for me. I'll stick with Aces.  :)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3433 on: April 14, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »
I got a PM about my truck wheelbase measurements so I measured again, this time all on the same Pass~port deck with 14.25” WB. Good thing too ‘cause I got slightly different results. Last time I shouldn’t have assumed all 14.25” WB decks have their holes drilled the same since we are talking about skateboards here. Anyway, here are the measurements.

Ace 17.13
Krux 17.38
Indy 17.63
Thunder 17.69
Venture 17.75

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3434 on: April 15, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »
I am curious about Ace , but not ready to try yet. The fact that Julien switched to Ace was more first "huh?". And my dude Barley as well. Based on Indy stage 3 right?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3435 on: April 15, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
I got a PM about my truck wheelbase measurements so I measured again, this time all on the same Pass~port deck with 14.25” WB. Good thing too ‘cause I got slightly different results. Last time I shouldn’t have assumed all 14.25” WB decks have their holes drilled the same since we are talking about skateboards here. Anyway, here are the measurements.

Ace 17.13
Krux 17.38
Indy 17.63
Thunder 17.69
Venture 17.75

Strangely enough on my 14.25" WB decks I get exactly 17" for Ace and just under 17.5" for Thunder.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3436 on: April 15, 2018, 03:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace 17.13
Krux 17.38
Indy 17.63
Thunder 17.69
Venture 17.75
[close]

Strangely enough on my 14.25" WB decks I get exactly 17" for Ace and just under 17.5" for Thunder.

the variation is crazy. a 14.25” WB can give such different results from deck to deck. but at least using the same deck you can find out the relative differences in WB between truck brands.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3437 on: April 15, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »
To anyone with the new Thunder Team Lights/Hollows. On the Thunder site they list the stock bushings as 99d but they feel as soft as the usual 90d (I think?) that come with most Thunders (I was expecting something like Bones hards). Are Thunder’s replacement bushings more reflective of the actual duro rating like aftermarket Indy’s?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3438 on: April 16, 2018, 04:25:23 AM »
Another weekend on the Ace "Classic" (v2.5) and they keep getting better and better.  If you're not obsessed with weight like I used to be, give them a shot

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3439 on: April 16, 2018, 04:33:12 AM »
Just tried this combo on my Indy's

Bones Hard top bushing w/ stock barrel bottom bushing. kept both the top Bones Washer and the stock Bottom washer. I'd normally blow thru the stock top Indy bushing due to the top washer cutting thru the top bushing. This combo adds the rebound of Bones to help center back the truck quicker while still keeping the surfy feel of a full on stock Indy.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3440 on: April 16, 2018, 04:46:51 AM »
To anyone with the new Thunder Team Lights/Hollows. On the Thunder site they list the stock bushings as 99d but they feel as soft as the usual 90d (I think?) that come with most Thunders (I was expecting something like Bones hards). Are Thunder’s replacement bushings more reflective of the actual duro rating like aftermarket Indy’s?

To me they seem even softer...I put bones medium with no issues and they're awesome.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3441 on: April 16, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »
My personal experience with Indy aftermarkets is a bit different to what I read here.

I actually went from this:
Just finished a second session on the blue conical indy aftermarkets in 149 thunder hollow lights. Top indy washer at the bottom, thin bones washer at the top. Had only been using bones hard bushings for the last 4 years, and I was not expecting such an improvement in my ride. Bushings broken in out of the box and the trucks actually turn much-much sharper. The difference is almost as noticeable as when i first went to bones from plain barrel minus the frustration of getting used to new shit. I am super stocked, these things are heavenly.

to this:

The bushing on the left is the top bushing of the blue ones after 4 sessions lying next to a brand new indy hard/black. I have been on the blacks for around 4-5 sessions, skating in much hotter weather and they don't seem to have packed down. I hope they don't, they feel almost as loose as the blue ones felt when I wrote my first post about them. They are conical so they naturally feel loose but I think if I skated these during a heat wave, they would melt. Could I have gotten a dodgy set or one that was possibly lying in a shop display being hit by the sun for years? I have been reading only great things about these bushings but the blue didn't make it a week.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3442 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
^good to hear that, i had some regrets not taking the blue ones during the harsh breaking in process of the black cylinder sets, exhausted knees, but blacks ones are the best !

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3443 on: April 16, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Ha! for me even the black ones took no time to break in. They felt slightly harder than the blue that had been reduced to half the size, just no break in time. They have maintained their shape and size but definitely feel softer than bones hard. The blue ones kind of melted through the yoke! I always have the nut flush and am not heavy.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3444 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
I'm thinking of going all Ace on all my setups. Got a rain cruiser with 149 Indys and a "big boy" cruiser with 159 Indys. The set up with Ventures I'm getting rid of entirely. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to have the "same" trucks on all set ups?

I wonder if I'd get any benefit running Ace 55s with 1/8" risers and 60 mm Ricta Clouds on my cruiser with a 15" wheelbase. Normal set ups have Ace 44s with 54 mm wheels and 14.5" wheelbases. 🤔

I've got nothing against Indys really but the Ace feeling has got me hooked. 😊

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3445 on: April 20, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
My personal experience with Indy aftermarkets is a bit different to what I read here.

I actually went from this:
Expand Quote
Just finished a second session on the blue conical indy aftermarkets in 149 thunder hollow lights. Top indy washer at the bottom, thin bones washer at the top. Had only been using bones hard bushings for the last 4 years, and I was not expecting such an improvement in my ride. Bushings broken in out of the box and the trucks actually turn much-much sharper. The difference is almost as noticeable as when i first went to bones from plain barrel minus the frustration of getting used to new shit. I am super stocked, these things are heavenly.
[close]

to this:

The bushing on the left is the top bushing of the blue ones after 4 sessions lying next to a brand new indy hard/black. I have been on the blacks for around 4-5 sessions, skating in much hotter weather and they don't seem to have packed down. I hope they don't, they feel almost as loose as the blue ones felt when I wrote my first post about them. They are conical so they naturally feel loose but I think if I skated these during a heat wave, they would melt. Could I have gotten a dodgy set or one that was possibly lying in a shop display being hit by the sun for years? I have been reading only great things about these bushings but the blue didn't make it a week.

I think the blues you got are the indy low conicals 92a, they make the blue for the lows too only in conical and they just basically come with a shorter top/roadside bushing and a normal bottom bushing

yes

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3446 on: April 21, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Anyone know how we’ll venture 5.8s fit on an 8.5 board? Width wise.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3447 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
Anyone know how we’ll venture 5.8s fit on an 8.5 board? Width wise.

Well, they are 8.5" wide, so I'd say that they fit pretty much flush.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3448 on: April 21, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »
Sent my old ass axle-slipped venture 5.8's to DLX and they laced me with a set of some 5.8 V-lights (hollow kingpin/forged baseplate). Gonna try to break in the stock bushings first before I start fiddling with shit, but best believe I got like 3 other bushing options set to go.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3449 on: April 21, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »
Sent my old ass axle-slipped venture 5.8's to DLX and they laced me with a set of some 5.8 V-lights (hollow kingpin/forged baseplate). Gonna try to break in the stock bushings first before I start fiddling with shit, but best believe I got like 3 other bushing options set to go.

Awww so lucky, that’s deluxe for you though.

They hook it up, back when I was doing my venture 5.2 lows I noticed the holes were drilled off set on one of them and asked for just a baseplate replacement and they sent me 4 baseplate with bushings and pivot cups, a pair of cast and a pair of hollow forged baspleates and a bunch of stickers

Deluxe seriously is the best distribution in the Buisness, they reply fast, give you great service and warranty. Pretty glad I have 70% deluxe stuff
yes