Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 293120 times)

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3480 on: April 16, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »
My personal experience with Indy aftermarkets is a bit different to what I read here.

I actually went from this:
Just finished a second session on the blue conical indy aftermarkets in 149 thunder hollow lights. Top indy washer at the bottom, thin bones washer at the top. Had only been using bones hard bushings for the last 4 years, and I was not expecting such an improvement in my ride. Bushings broken in out of the box and the trucks actually turn much-much sharper. The difference is almost as noticeable as when i first went to bones from plain barrel minus the frustration of getting used to new shit. I am super stocked, these things are heavenly.

to this:

The bushing on the left is the top bushing of the blue ones after 4 sessions lying next to a brand new indy hard/black. I have been on the blacks for around 4-5 sessions, skating in much hotter weather and they don't seem to have packed down. I hope they don't, they feel almost as loose as the blue ones felt when I wrote my first post about them. They are conical so they naturally feel loose but I think if I skated these during a heat wave, they would melt. Could I have gotten a dodgy set or one that was possibly lying in a shop display being hit by the sun for years? I have been reading only great things about these bushings but the blue didn't make it a week.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #3481 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
^good to hear that, i had some regrets not taking the blue ones during the harsh breaking in process of the black cylinder sets, exhausted knees, but blacks ones are the best !

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3482 on: April 16, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Ha! for me even the black ones took no time to break in. They felt slightly harder than the blue that had been reduced to half the size, just no break in time. They have maintained their shape and size but definitely feel softer than bones hard. The blue ones kind of melted through the yoke! I always have the nut flush and am not heavy.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #3483 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
I'm thinking of going all Ace on all my setups. Got a rain cruiser with 149 Indys and a "big boy" cruiser with 159 Indys. The set up with Ventures I'm getting rid of entirely. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to have the "same" trucks on all set ups?

I wonder if I'd get any benefit running Ace 55s with 1/8" risers and 60 mm Ricta Clouds on my cruiser with a 15" wheelbase. Normal set ups have Ace 44s with 54 mm wheels and 14.5" wheelbases. 🤔

I've got nothing against Indys really but the Ace feeling has got me hooked. 😊

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3484 on: April 20, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
My personal experience with Indy aftermarkets is a bit different to what I read here.

I actually went from this:
Just finished a second session on the blue conical indy aftermarkets in 149 thunder hollow lights. Top indy washer at the bottom, thin bones washer at the top. Had only been using bones hard bushings for the last 4 years, and I was not expecting such an improvement in my ride. Bushings broken in out of the box and the trucks actually turn much-much sharper. The difference is almost as noticeable as when i first went to bones from plain barrel minus the frustration of getting used to new shit. I am super stocked, these things are heavenly.

to this:

The bushing on the left is the top bushing of the blue ones after 4 sessions lying next to a brand new indy hard/black. I have been on the blacks for around 4-5 sessions, skating in much hotter weather and they don't seem to have packed down. I hope they don't, they feel almost as loose as the blue ones felt when I wrote my first post about them. They are conical so they naturally feel loose but I think if I skated these during a heat wave, they would melt. Could I have gotten a dodgy set or one that was possibly lying in a shop display being hit by the sun for years? I have been reading only great things about these bushings but the blue didn't make it a week.

I think the blues you got are the indy low conicals 92a, they make the blue for the lows too only in conical and they just basically come with a shorter top/roadside bushing and a normal bottom bushing

yes

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3485 on: April 21, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Anyone know how weíll venture 5.8s fit on an 8.5 board? Width wise.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3486 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »

Well, they are 8.5" wide, so I'd say that they fit pretty much flush.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -186
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3487 on: April 21, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »
Sent my old ass axle-slipped venture 5.8's to DLX and they laced me with a set of some 5.8 V-lights (hollow kingpin/forged baseplate). Gonna try to break in the stock bushings first before I start fiddling with shit, but best believe I got like 3 other bushing options set to go.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3488 on: April 21, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »
Sent my old ass axle-slipped venture 5.8's to DLX and they laced me with a set of some 5.8 V-lights (hollow kingpin/forged baseplate). Gonna try to break in the stock bushings first before I start fiddling with shit, but best believe I got like 3 other bushing options set to go.

Awww so lucky, thatís deluxe for you though.

They hook it up, back when I was doing my venture 5.2 lows I noticed the holes were drilled off set on one of them and asked for just a baseplate replacement and they sent me 4 baseplate with bushings and pivot cups, a pair of cast and a pair of hollow forged baspleates and a bunch of stickers

Deluxe seriously is the best distribution in the Buisness, they reply fast, give you great service and warranty. Pretty glad I have 70% deluxe stuff
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #3489 on: April 21, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
I'm leaning towards believing that I won't slip an axel and getting off the tih's...They just don't grind.  think I'm gonna go thunders for this reason.

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3490 on: April 21, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »

The venture website says the 5.8 fit 8.2 and up so I was wondering if anyone had some experience with using them on a 8.5 board. Your snarky reply almost helps.

palelight

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3491 on: April 21, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »
Anyone know how we’ll venture 5.8s fit on an 8.5 board? Width wise.

The venture website says the 5.8 fit 8.2 and up so I was wondering if anyone had some experience with using them on a 8.5 board. Your snarky reply almost helps.

Ran them on an 8.5 Krooked for a while. End of axles were flush with the deck, no overhang. I prefer the wheels to be flush and to have a bit of axle overhang so I went back to Indy 159's.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:52:38 PM by palelight »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3492 on: April 21, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Have a set of standard 149 Indy stage 10s with stock bushings. I hate them. I think they turn slow and crappy. Would I like stage 11s any better?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -186
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3493 on: April 21, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »

Awww so lucky, thatís deluxe for you though.

They hook it up, back when I was doing my venture 5.2 lows I noticed the holes were drilled off set on one of them and asked for just a baseplate replacement and they sent me 4 baseplate with bushings and pivot cups, a pair of cast and a pair of hollow forged baspleates and a bunch of stickers

Deluxe seriously is the best distribution in the Buisness, they reply fast, give you great service and warranty. Pretty glad I have 70% deluxe stuff

yeah they hooked it up for me, DLX is the best.

The stock bushings in Ventures really aren't all that bad though! Skated them today and they didnt give me nearly as much trouble as i expected. It might be this Arizona heat softening up the bushings but I skated them just as they came at first and tightened them a quarter turn or so a couple times further into the session and they were good to go. Nice surfy turn but still stable on landings. Gonna tell my gear madness to shut the fuck up and just rock with these for a while

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3494 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Im riding two sets of venture 5.8s. One using original washers and purple bushing and the other using after market soft red Indy barrel bushings. Both top bushing ďtunedĒ down to my liking. Both set up exactly the same the stockbushings are looser. I had to sand the Indy bottom bushing down to match the ventures.

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3495 on: April 21, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
Running thunder 149s bones bushings soft, broken in no nut washer. Ride it loose it's a dream right now, I can ride it without the fear of the nut coming off

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3496 on: April 21, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »

Iím sorry. I just didnít really understand your question. I had them on a 8.5Ē board. Donít like the turn personally, so havenít got much experience with them but width wise they were absolutely fine for me. I donít have a problem with 8.5Ē trucks on a 8.25Ē board though so what do I know.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 69
« Reply #3497 on: April 22, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
Have a set of standard 149 Indy stage 10s with stock bushings. I hate them. I think they turn slow and crappy. Would I like stage 11s any better?

I donít know if this was true of the stage 10s but the stock bushings in the stage 11s are bad. I always swap them out for the Indy aftermarket bushings and you can actually see the difference in quality when you compare them. Does Indy do this on purpose? Seems like it. But you might not like the turn of the aftermarkets either if Indys in general are not your cup of tea. I like the stage 11s with aftermarket orange bushings. I prefer them to all the trucks Iíve skated recently including Thunder, Krux, Venture and Ace.

franquietits

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3498 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
Figured this would be the appropriate place to ask: Why did skaters in the 80s use panhead or trusshead hardware? Any benefits? I think I read that they could reduce pressure cracks cause they sit on top of the deck rathr than dig in, but I also wonder if they hinder flip tricks etc. Maybe countersunk just werent thought of for use back then?

Kinda want to throw some on a deck just for fun.

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3499 on: April 24, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
If you can tell me why I used Bridgebolts I can try to help you with your question.

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3500 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
Iíve been skating those indy aftermarket conical bushings few years now, I recently change bottom ones to barrells and man, I thought I like wiggly trucks but my skating has improved a lot lately... Stability is the key.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3501 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
Man I thought I was madness over when I started liking all my trucks and didnít have any real pickiness and liked the thunder 148 most and stuck to it for a week but then it crept back in me and I had to feel the goodness of ace again and Damn damn these are amazing feeling tricks when like they said the bushings break in

Phenomenal, definitely recommend to anyone

But beware they do no matter what easily pick up speed wobble in fast/down hill situations. Idk what it is but they definitely like to speed wobble but the turning

Amazing, itís like bouncy and fun

Like I said before: it has the response like a thunder but the carve of an indy, I had a few close calls doing my 2 miles to work and carved sharp around 2 cars and it felt right

Not sketchy at all
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3502 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »
I'm thinking of going all Ace on all my setups. Got a rain cruiser with 149 Indys and a "big boy" cruiser with 159 Indys. The set up with Ventures I'm getting rid of entirely. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to have the "same" trucks on all set ups?

I wonder if I'd get any benefit running Ace 55s with 1/8" risers and 60 mm Ricta Clouds on my cruiser with a 15" wheelbase. Normal set ups have Ace 44s with 54 mm wheels and 14.5" wheelbases. 🤔

I've got nothing against Indys really but the Ace feeling has got me hooked. 😊

Well, I got Ace 55s for my bigger cruiser today. Went pushing for about 8 km with it and it felt like home instantly even though the bushings clearly aren't broken in properly yet! I fucking love the Ace turn. I can actually turn properly while pushing which seems almost impossible with Indys with Bones mediums. I love how Aces are kinda unforgiving but very predictable. I feel like I know what is going on all the time much better with Aces. Gonna stick with Aces. I really see no reason to change it up. 😊

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3503 on: April 25, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
Iíve been skating those indy aftermarket conical bushings few years now, I recently change bottom ones to barrells and man, I thought I like wiggly trucks but my skating has improved a lot lately... Stability is the key.

I recently went back to some older 149 Ti's with the barrel bushings after loving how Ace's turn but not feeling confident enough with setting up for tricks and landing tricks.  I will eventually get a cruiser, fuck, at 34 I should already have one.  It seems to be where my skating is quickly going, but while I still like skating flat and ledges, Indy's will stay on my street setup.  A cruiser with 55's sounds like a lot of fun though.

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #3504 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »
Iím realizing low trucks (aside from thunders) just arenít for me.

Ace lows were my jam for awhile, but nearly everything instantly improved switching to the regs. Switch Ollies much higher, nollies tucking up to back knee

I also switched from riding 03ís to 44ís on 8-8.25Ē setups, and the axle width seems to be working out far greater. Still rocking red doh dohís in my setup.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

Horsemeat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3505 on: April 25, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
Noticed in a picture of Gilbert Crockett for his new shoe that he is rocking the six hole baseplate on his trucks. Is this that nose slide baseplate issue again? I like my thunders but the madness is creeping back. Wish thunder would just release a baseplate that wasnít stumpy.

Lt. Frank Drebin

• Rep: 27
« Reply #3506 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Noticed in a picture of Gilbert Crockett for his new shoe that he is rocking the six hole baseplate on his trucks. Is this that nose slide baseplate issue again? I like my thunders but the madness is creeping back. Wish thunder would just release a baseplate that wasnít stumpy.

I think that's just a cool guy style thing, pretty sure they stick out just as far as the four hole baseplates.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #3507 on: April 26, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
gil skates indys
hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #3508 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »
I think it's because he skates vintage stage of indys
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3509 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
I think it's because he skates vintage stage of indys

Also 159 and wider Indys have the six hole pattern baseplate