Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220827 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3450 on: April 21, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
I'm leaning towards believing that I won't slip an axel and getting off the tih's...They just don't grind.  think I'm gonna go thunders for this reason.

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3451 on: April 21, 2018, 02:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know how we’ll venture 5.8s fit on an 8.5 board? Width wise.
[close]

Well, they are 8.5" wide, so I'd say that they fit pretty much flush.

The venture website says the 5.8 fit 8.2 and up so I was wondering if anyone had some experience with using them on a 8.5 board. Your snarky reply almost helps.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3452 on: April 21, 2018, 04:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The venture website says the 5.8 fit 8.2 and up so I was wondering if anyone had some experience with using them on a 8.5 board. Your snarky reply almost helps.

Ran them on an 8.5 Krooked for a while. End of axles were flush with the deck, no overhang. I prefer the wheels to be flush and to have a bit of axle overhang so I went back to Indy 159's.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:52:38 PM by palelight »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3453 on: April 21, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Have a set of standard 149 Indy stage 10s with stock bushings. I hate them. I think they turn slow and crappy. Would I like stage 11s any better?

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3454 on: April 21, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Sent my old ass axle-slipped venture 5.8's to DLX and they laced me with a set of some 5.8 V-lights (hollow kingpin/forged baseplate). Gonna try to break in the stock bushings first before I start fiddling with shit, but best believe I got like 3 other bushing options set to go.
[close]

Awww so lucky, that’s deluxe for you though.

They hook it up, back when I was doing my venture 5.2 lows I noticed the holes were drilled off set on one of them and asked for just a baseplate replacement and they sent me 4 baseplate with bushings and pivot cups, a pair of cast and a pair of hollow forged baspleates and a bunch of stickers

Deluxe seriously is the best distribution in the Buisness, they reply fast, give you great service and warranty. Pretty glad I have 70% deluxe stuff

yeah they hooked it up for me, DLX is the best.

The stock bushings in Ventures really aren't all that bad though! Skated them today and they didnt give me nearly as much trouble as i expected. It might be this Arizona heat softening up the bushings but I skated them just as they came at first and tightened them a quarter turn or so a couple times further into the session and they were good to go. Nice surfy turn but still stable on landings. Gonna tell my gear madness to shut the fuck up and just rock with these for a while

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3455 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
Im riding two sets of venture 5.8s. One using original washers and purple bushing and the other using after market soft red Indy barrel bushings. Both top bushing “tuned” down to my liking. Both set up exactly the same the stockbushings are looser. I had to sand the Indy bottom bushing down to match the ventures.

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3456 on: April 21, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
Running thunder 149s bones bushings soft, broken in no nut washer. Ride it loose it's a dream right now, I can ride it without the fear of the nut coming off

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3457 on: April 21, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m sorry. I just didn’t really understand your question. I had them on a 8.5” board. Don’t like the turn personally, so haven’t got much experience with them but width wise they were absolutely fine for me. I don’t have a problem with 8.5” trucks on a 8.25” board though so what do I know.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3458 on: April 22, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »
Have a set of standard 149 Indy stage 10s with stock bushings. I hate them. I think they turn slow and crappy. Would I like stage 11s any better?

I don’t know if this was true of the stage 10s but the stock bushings in the stage 11s are bad. I always swap them out for the Indy aftermarket bushings and you can actually see the difference in quality when you compare them. Does Indy do this on purpose? Seems like it. But you might not like the turn of the aftermarkets either if Indys in general are not your cup of tea. I like the stage 11s with aftermarket orange bushings. I prefer them to all the trucks I’ve skated recently including Thunder, Krux, Venture and Ace.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3459 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
Figured this would be the appropriate place to ask: Why did skaters in the 80s use panhead or trusshead hardware? Any benefits? I think I read that they could reduce pressure cracks cause they sit on top of the deck rathr than dig in, but I also wonder if they hinder flip tricks etc. Maybe countersunk just werent thought of for use back then?

Kinda want to throw some on a deck just for fun.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3460 on: April 24, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
If you can tell me why I used Bridgebolts I can try to help you with your question.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3461 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
I’ve been skating those indy aftermarket conical bushings few years now, I recently change bottom ones to barrells and man, I thought I like wiggly trucks but my skating has improved a lot lately... Stability is the key.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3462 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
Man I thought I was madness over when I started liking all my trucks and didn’t have any real pickiness and liked the thunder 148 most and stuck to it for a week but then it crept back in me and I had to feel the goodness of ace again and Damn damn these are amazing feeling tricks when like they said the bushings break in

Phenomenal, definitely recommend to anyone

But beware they do no matter what easily pick up speed wobble in fast/down hill situations. Idk what it is but they definitely like to speed wobble but the turning

Amazing, it’s like bouncy and fun

Like I said before: it has the response like a thunder but the carve of an indy, I had a few close calls doing my 2 miles to work and carved sharp around 2 cars and it felt right

Not sketchy at all
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3463 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »
I'm thinking of going all Ace on all my setups. Got a rain cruiser with 149 Indys and a "big boy" cruiser with 159 Indys. The set up with Ventures I'm getting rid of entirely. Any thoughts? Is it worth it to have the "same" trucks on all set ups?

I wonder if I'd get any benefit running Ace 55s with 1/8" risers and 60 mm Ricta Clouds on my cruiser with a 15" wheelbase. Normal set ups have Ace 44s with 54 mm wheels and 14.5" wheelbases. 🤔

I've got nothing against Indys really but the Ace feeling has got me hooked. 😊

Well, I got Ace 55s for my bigger cruiser today. Went pushing for about 8 km with it and it felt like home instantly even though the bushings clearly aren't broken in properly yet! I fucking love the Ace turn. I can actually turn properly while pushing which seems almost impossible with Indys with Bones mediums. I love how Aces are kinda unforgiving but very predictable. I feel like I know what is going on all the time much better with Aces. Gonna stick with Aces. I really see no reason to change it up. 😊

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3464 on: April 25, 2018, 07:50:45 AM »
I’ve been skating those indy aftermarket conical bushings few years now, I recently change bottom ones to barrells and man, I thought I like wiggly trucks but my skating has improved a lot lately... Stability is the key.

I recently went back to some older 149 Ti's with the barrel bushings after loving how Ace's turn but not feeling confident enough with setting up for tricks and landing tricks.  I will eventually get a cruiser, fuck, at 34 I should already have one.  It seems to be where my skating is quickly going, but while I still like skating flat and ledges, Indy's will stay on my street setup.  A cruiser with 55's sounds like a lot of fun though.

Mongoloid

« Reply #3465 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:04 AM »
I’m realizing low trucks (aside from thunders) just aren’t for me.

Ace lows were my jam for awhile, but nearly everything instantly improved switching to the regs. Switch Ollies much higher, nollies tucking up to back knee

I also switched from riding 03’s to 44’s on 8-8.25” setups, and the axle width seems to be working out far greater. Still rocking red doh doh’s in my setup.

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #3466 on: April 25, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
Noticed in a picture of Gilbert Crockett for his new shoe that he is rocking the six hole baseplate on his trucks. Is this that nose slide baseplate issue again? I like my thunders but the madness is creeping back. Wish thunder would just release a baseplate that wasn’t stumpy.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #3467 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Noticed in a picture of Gilbert Crockett for his new shoe that he is rocking the six hole baseplate on his trucks. Is this that nose slide baseplate issue again? I like my thunders but the madness is creeping back. Wish thunder would just release a baseplate that wasn’t stumpy.

I think that's just a cool guy style thing, pretty sure they stick out just as far as the four hole baseplates.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3468 on: April 26, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
gil skates indys
hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3469 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »
I think it's because he skates vintage stage of indys

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3470 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also 159 and wider Indys have the six hole pattern baseplate

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3471 on: April 26, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Not all 159s.  I have some forged 159 stage 11s that have the 4 hole.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3472 on: April 26, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Not all 159s.  I have some forged 159 stage 11s that have the 4 hole.

Could be just the cast ones then. Mine are standard cast and they have the six hole pattern.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3473 on: April 26, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
How wide are Venture 5.8 hi's ? Would they fit OK on a 8.25-8.38 board ?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3474 on: April 26, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
How wide are Venture 5.8 hi's ? Would they fit OK on a 8.25-8.38 board ?

5.8s are 8.5s

get it...GET IT!? :)

Diocletian

« Reply #3475 on: April 26, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Any of you truck lunatics ever run Indy hangers on Ace baseplates or vice versa? Curious to know how the combo turned out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3476 on: April 26, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
Any of you truck lunatics ever run Indy hangers on Ace baseplates or vice versa? Curious to know how the combo turned out.

Once, the yoke sticks out like a MF'er

Diocletian

« Reply #3477 on: April 26, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which combo?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3478 on: April 26, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
I just bought a set of 8.5 Krux from Daddies.  They are on sale for $16.95.   I mounted them and did three ollies in the garage and the back truck had the boardside bushing blow off the edge of the washer.  WTF.  I have never had this happen with another truck and I heard that Krux bushings were top notch.

Put them back in and hope it doesn't happen again?  Run some Bones?  I also have some new 95s from https://funboxskate.com/product/bushings/

I'm 180 lbs.   Just too much for these dainty bushings?

EDIT:   I reset them and they blew out again within a minute.   Bones Hards it is.   I also found some fresh Mini Logo mediums if the bones end up to be too stiff.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:48:36 PM by backinaction »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3479 on: April 27, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Which combo?

Indy plates/ace hanger (it's as bad as it sounds but it does stick further out than stock)