Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220551 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3480 on: April 27, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any of you truck lunatics ever run Indy hangers on Ace baseplates or vice versa? Curious to know how the combo turned out.
[close]

Once, the yoke sticks out like a MF'er
[close]

Which combo?
[close]

Indy plates/ace hanger (it's as bad as it sounds but it does stick further out than stock)

Gotcha. Wonder how the opposite performs.

Diocletian

« Reply #3481 on: April 27, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
So as far as modern trucks go, are Krux and Thunder the only two that fit Krux kingpins without the need for epoxy to hold the nut in place?

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3482 on: April 27, 2018, 05:44:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any of you truck lunatics ever run Indy hangers on Ace baseplates or vice versa? Curious to know how the combo turned out.
[close]

Once, the yoke sticks out like a MF'er
[close]

Which combo?
[close]

Indy plates/ace hanger (it's as bad as it sounds but it does stick further out than stock)
[close]

Gotcha. Wonder how the opposite performs.

I've been fiddling with the trucks I have laying around and it seems like the baseplate and the angle of the kingpin (the lesser it is from 90 degrees) have more effect on turning characteristics than the hanger.

Try the other way around!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3483 on: April 27, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
So as far as modern trucks go, are Krux and Thunder the only two that fit Krux kingpins without the need for epoxy to hold the nut in place?

Well, you can tighten/loosen them easily once the nut is on but I'd still epoxy them so if you were to ever loosen them so much the nut drops off.

bawtawd9

« Reply #3484 on: April 28, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
What feels lower to the ground, krux downlows or venture lows? Or are they basically the same?

Probably go with krux as I imagine they have more carve.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3485 on: April 28, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »
What feels lower to the ground, krux downlows or venture lows? Or are they basically the same?

Ventures are lower at 48mm maybe 47 and krux downlows are actually 52mm tall
yes

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3486 on: April 28, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »

Never skated Ventures, but Krux have literally the least amount of carve I've skated. They turn fine, especially at higher speeds, but do not carve like other brands. That being said I like them a lot and rock them on my cruisers since they are stable as hell. Mini-Logo are super low and are much more turny.

bawtawd9

« Reply #3487 on: April 28, 2018, 11:29:17 AM »
Hmm aright, ill give mini logo a shot, I dig their wheels.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3488 on: April 28, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
Hmm aright, ill give mini logo a shot, I dig their wheels.

From what I've read they're the lowest truck out there that turns not tilts ;)

I've a set on my kid's board, they turn just fine (I've not ridden them enough to vouch for them being awesome tho).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:01:01 PM by Xen »

IHOP

« Reply #3489 on: April 29, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Noticed in a picture of Gilbert Crockett for his new shoe that he is rocking the six hole baseplate on his trucks. Is this that nose slide baseplate issue again? I like my thunders but the madness is creeping back. Wish thunder would just release a baseplate that wasn’t stumpy.
[close]

I think that's just a cool guy style thing, pretty sure they stick out just as far as the four hole baseplates.

Yea he skates old indys, not sure what stage but I would assume 9 or earlier based on photos.

Mongoloid

« Reply #3490 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:03 AM »
Mini logo aren’t so bad until the pivot cup blows out.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3491 on: April 29, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
This could be wrong but I think Powell spent years engineering the mother of all trucks...when they realized the couldn't make it the way they wanted they took the design, put cheaper parts on it and made it the mini logo truck.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3492 on: April 29, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
This could be wrong but I think Powell spent years engineering the mother of all trucks...when they realized the couldn't make it the way they wanted they took the design, put cheaper parts on it and made it the mini logo truck.....

I believe it, cause it could’ve been a premium truck next to their premium bones wheels and bearings and bushings, it could of been the original theeve but the real original Powell trucks stocked with premium bones hardcore bushings

If they could redesign it though to look something sorta like an indy/ace/theeve maybe even venture I would totally rock them 100% but idk the aesthetics as kooky as that sounds throws me off with the chevron logo on a blank generic shaped hangar and the funny Walmart truck looking baseplate even though it is light cause it’s hollowed out so much but I feel there could of been such a more eye pleasing design they could of done that would take the trucks to the level of ermico

maybe if there’s a mini logo stage 2 in the works with such a design I’m giving them all my money and I mean, Swiss L2 bearings or Swiss 6, mini logo/bones  wheels, the new trucks and even The aftermarket mini logo bushings
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:59:45 PM by rob »
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3493 on: April 30, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
 I believe my madness has passed R.I.P. I spent the last 3 days switching trucks around and skating the same spot. Staying with Indy (whom I never would have tried others had stage 9 not been so shitty to me). Thunders and Ventures are both great trucks but the turn, weight, grind just feels right with independent for me. I'm glad too cuz they've been my #1 choice since 86 (minus a year in 92 when I rode venture featherlights and had BPSW, a year or so in 2003 when stage 9 came out, and this past wave of madness). Still wish the axle had that thicker style pre stage 9 but it's all good. Anyway, good luck guys.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3494 on: April 30, 2018, 09:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe it, cause it could’ve been a premium truck next to their premium bones wheels and bearings and bushings, it could of been the original theeve but the real original Powell trucks stocked with premium bones hardcore bushings

If they could redesign it though to look something sorta like an indy/ace/theeve maybe even venture I would totally rock them 100% but idk the aesthetics as kooky as that sounds throws me off with the chevron logo on a blank generic shaped hangar and the funny Walmart truck looking baseplate even though it is light cause it’s hollowed out so much but I feel there could of been such a more eye pleasing design they could of done that would take the trucks to the level of ermico

maybe if there’s a mini logo stage 2 in the works with such a design I’m giving them all my money and I mean, Swiss L2 bearings or Swiss 6, mini logo/bones  wheels, the new trucks and even The aftermarket mini logo bushings

The aftermarket minilogo bushings are really really nice (I was skating the soft ones in my ACEs; the top bushing is really low profile, bottom is the same height as stock aces.

I'd skate them if they weren't super low (49mm?) I can't rock tiny wheels to avoid wheelbite.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3495 on: April 30, 2018, 09:52:29 AM »
I went back to my thunder 147 cause they respond fast and are lightest and I’m riding 8.2 and below and they work great

Kinda testing out ace 44 on the side since they work great too

Down to thunder vs ace

Might throw indy in there but kinda doubt it since compared to my top 2 choices the Indy are great at turning but response and weight throw me off
yes

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3496 on: April 30, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The aftermarket minilogo bushings are really really nice (I was skating the soft ones in my ACEs; the top bushing is really low profile, bottom is the same height as stock aces.

I'd skate them if they weren't super low (49mm?) I can't rock tiny wheels to avoid wheelbite.

I run an 8" ML setup with 52s and usually have a 1/10 riser, although I occasionally have them setup without.

I have a set of 8.38s with 55s and use a 1/10 soft and a 1/8 hard.  That brings them up to around 53 high and I don't get too much wheelbite. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3497 on: April 30, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
I went back to my thunder 147 cause they respond fast and are lightest and I’m riding 8.2 and below and they work great

Down to thunder vs ace

Might throw indy in there but kinda doubt it since compared to my top 2 choices the Indy are great at turning but response and weight throw me off

Yep...if you can't decide ACE or Thunder....Indy is the right answer.....or I'd run two set ups...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3498 on: April 30, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Down to thunder vs ace

[close]

Yep...if you can't decide ACE or Thunder....THEEVE is the right answer.....or I'd run two set ups...

Lighter than indy (if you go for tiKings) and turn much sharper, are stable on center but can still carve. Youc an also leave them stock, #probably the only truck you don't have to fuck with.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3499 on: April 30, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Down to thunder vs ace

[close]

Yep...if you can't decide ACE or Thunder....THEEVE is the right answer.....or I'd run two set ups...

[close]

Lighter than indy (if you go for tiKings) and turn much sharper, are stable on center but can still carve. Youc an also leave them stock, #probably the only truck you don't have to fuck with.

Except they look hideous. I noticed they bought back the Tih though, but that one has issues grinding on metal apparently.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3500 on: April 30, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
The lack of grinding has me looking at thunders.....

If you can't decide Krux or Tensor.....I'd say Theeve....

Diocletian

« Reply #3501 on: April 30, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I always thought titanium was like an indestructible metal and after some google searching about axles and how Chromoly ones are actually stronger than titanium, I don’t see how a truck entirely made of titanium could be stronger than a standard raw aluminum one. Titanium is more corrosion resistant compared to aluminum but that’s all I can gather. $180 for a set of titanium trucks that have a higher chance of breaking (even with the one piece axle) seems like a financial risk not worth taking.

I’m all about Ace and I’m aware their recycled Chinese aluminum has had problems but as far as Indy goes, I never hear about people breaking them. Ever.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3502 on: April 30, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Down to thunder vs ace

[close]

Yep...if you can't decide ACE or Thunder....Indy is the right answer.....or I'd run two set ups...

Ahaha good ole xen and his solutions

Yeah...indy is kinda the answer because they are kinda just the good ole reliable nothing special but is special truck for anything and everything...

Butttttt I like having my trucks being specific rather than well rounded, the thunders I love for street and they’re just the perfect street truck

But the aces feel well rounded but now better for street than before

Indy though are classic and you can’t beat the classics

So I did do that and have 2 setups, my flip feels cool but has an odd feel on the tail and nose being so flat and I had the ace 44’s on and it didn’t help the odd feel so I got my thunders since they usually do the trick to help get any deck flipping

And I got my ace 44 on the stiff and flat but very poppy girl

If none of this works I guess indy it is

Theeves cast feels weird to me, they’re solid but...feel kinda cheap or maybe it’s cause of the slightly hollowed out pattern that goes against the deck like on thunder forged plates. They do turn good and sharp but to me they’re kinda unstable, fast and sharp but wobbly on impact
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3503 on: April 30, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
I always thought titanium was like an indestructible metal and after some google searching about axles and how Chromoly ones are actually stronger than titanium, I don’t see how a truck entirely made of titanium could be stronger than a standard raw aluminum one. Titanium is more corrosion resistant compared to aluminum but that’s all I can gather. $180 for a set of titanium trucks that have a higher chance of breaking (even with the one piece axle) seems like a financial risk not worth taking.

I’m all about Ace and I’m aware their recycled Chinese aluminum has had problems but as far as Indy goes, I never hear about people breaking them. Ever.

Steel is stronger than titanium but heavier

Titanium is stronger than aluminum but heavier

Titanium has the best strength to weight ratio of the 3 metals.  You couldn't make an all steel truck because it would be too heavy.  An aluminum axle would be too brittle.  An all titanium truck would give you the ideal weight and durability but the grinding sucks on titanium because it is so hard.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #3504 on: April 30, 2018, 06:06:16 PM »
Indy 144's with Spitfire Lockins 53mm just about too loose but tight so no wheelbite on roll aways.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3505 on: April 30, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Titanium has the best strength to weight ratio of the 3 metals.  You couldn't make an all steel truck because it would be too heavy.  An aluminum axle would be too brittle.  An all titanium truck would give you the ideal weight and durability but the grinding sucks on titanium because it is so hard.

Yah I got the tih's because of axel slip...I was plagued with that problem for years, I tried everything : Indy, thunder, fury, normal theeves, washers...spacers...

It's kind of a wild construction in the hanger and axel being one piece so I don't know if that design is stronger but other than that the trucks are crazy light, turn good but are not high,  they grind concrete well, but anything else...bad.  They don't wear down though for that reason....I could skate them to the end.  I'll give conventional trucks a shot and see how it goes....hopefully this thread doesn't prejudice any potential warranty. 

I haven't thought of it too much but I think softer the metal the better the grind no?  Aren't Aces soft and grind good? 

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3506 on: April 30, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yah I got the tih's because of axel slip...I was plagued with that problem for years, I tried everything : Indy, thunder, fury, normal theeves, washers...spacers...

It's kind of a wild construction in the hanger and axel being one piece so I don't know if that design is stronger but other than that the trucks are crazy light, turn good but are not high,  they grind concrete well, but anything else...bad.  They don't wear down though for that reason....I could skate them to the end.  I'll give conventional trucks a shot and see how it goes....hopefully this thread doesn't prejudice any potential warranty. 

I haven't thought of it too much but I think softer the metal the better the grind no?  Aren't Aces soft and grind good?

Aces definitely grind down quicker than Indys, they grind good, but I didn't notice any substantial difference compared to indy or thunder when it comes to how well they grind. How bad do the TiHs grind on metal and flatbars? I hear people say they stick but is it really that bad?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3507 on: April 30, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
I'd say half as well as anything else....imagine a regular truck...worn down but no groove....like that.  Man I've skated them for awhile now and in every other way they are a really good truck.  The 8.5 ones I have are set up on some clunker FA board and it feels light....that's so sick.  But....screech.  Some tricks the grab helps me but for a guy who skates pretty slow.....not so good. 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3508 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:53 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed the stock indy bushings have the indys at a height kinda standard almost mid but throwing in aftermarkets or bones makes them a bit taller?

I notice this but I wonder would breaking in the other bushings lower them eventually to the stock height
yes

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3509 on: April 30, 2018, 11:28:04 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed the stock indy bushings have the indys at a height kinda standard almost mid but throwing in aftermarkets or bones makes them a bit taller?

I notice this but I wonder would breaking in the other bushings lower them eventually to the stock height

No...