Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220587 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3540 on: May 03, 2018, 05:34:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Because there's nothing left to consider.....that's why.....now go away....
[close]
Then maybe it's time to give up? If trucks are causing you that much grief, I don't know, maybe it's time to get in to online poker or road biking.
[close]

This may be the only thread on slap that has consistently not broken out in arguments let’s try and keep it that way, friends. We’re all sick in the head with truck madness and are here to support each other. Except rob, he’s at the point of no return but he’s still cool.

If you don't see any validity.....or humour in arguing about minilogo trucks.....then God help you. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3541 on: May 03, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm hoping someone could help me with krux trucks please. The standard bushings are way too soft for me, I'm looking to put in something else but I'm having a hard time finding something where the boardside bushing is the same height as the standard krux one. Bones hardcores are way too short. Indys are a tad short. Anyone have any experience with swapping out krux bushings? Cheers guys and gals!
[close]

Thunder bushings will work, as will Mini Logo.
[close]

Have you used mini logo bushings in them personally? I only ask because in photos they look like the barrel bushing will be shorter. I need to order online because I can't get anything local and don't want to order bushings and then not be able to use them.

Yes, I have! I got you brosef:

ML (grn) Thunder (yellow) Krux (white)

Keep in mind that they've all been ridden to various amounts of time, in different trucks and different degrees of loose.

The pictures looked skewed a bit making the thunder look taller (if it is, it's only by .5mm so negligible) and the rounded edges of the ML bushing make it appear a smidge shorter.

Also, the Indy aftermarket conical bushings are damn close (I don't think you'd notice the difference in height; no idea why they are taller than Indy's own aftermarket barrels).

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:18:55 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3542 on: May 03, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Because there's nothing left to consider.....that's why.....now go away....
[close]
Then maybe it's time to give up? If trucks are causing you that much grief, I don't know, maybe it's time to get in to online poker or road biking.
[close]

This may be the only thread on slap that has consistently not broken out in arguments let’s try and keep it that way, friends. We’re all sick in the head with truck madness and are here to support each other. Except rob, he’s at the point of no return but he’s still cool.
[close]

If you don't see any validity.....or humour in arguing about minilogo trucks.....then God help you.

I'd try the new Tensors before I go in for ML trucks.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3543 on: May 03, 2018, 07:45:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm hoping someone could help me with krux trucks please. The standard bushings are way too soft for me, I'm looking to put in something else but I'm having a hard time finding something where the boardside bushing is the same height as the standard krux one. Bones hardcores are way too short. Indys are a tad short. Anyone have any experience with swapping out krux bushings? Cheers guys and gals!
[close]

Thunder bushings will work, as will Mini Logo.
[close]

Have you used mini logo bushings in them personally? I only ask because in photos they look like the barrel bushing will be shorter. I need to order online because I can't get anything local and don't want to order bushings and then not be able to use them.
[close]

Yes, I have! I got you brosef:

ML (grn) Thunder (yellow) Krux (white)

Keep in mind that they've all been ridden to various amounts of time, in different trucks and different degrees of loose.

The pictures looked skewed a bit making the thunder look taller (if it is, it's only by .5mm so negligible) and the rounded edges of the ML bushing make it appear a smidge shorter.

Also, the Indy aftermarket conical bushings are damn close (I don't think you'd notice the difference in height; no idea why they are taller than Indy's own aftermarket barrels).

Mate you are a legend! I remember you from skateboard city. Thanks for the help! Mini logo it is.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3544 on: May 05, 2018, 06:04:04 AM »
What trucks are these? Can't tell on my phone

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3545 on: May 05, 2018, 06:23:51 AM »
pixellized shitty ones

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #3546 on: May 05, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
I am almost positive they are Krepers

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3547 on: May 05, 2018, 11:28:49 PM »
Alright guys so I bent the axles on my new krux trucks, I've also bent thunders, tensor and silver trucks in the past. Don't like how Indys feel so I'm looking at either venture, royal or theeve. I'm 98kg and stomp my landings pretty hard. Thunders were probably my favourite feeling truck. Help me choose new trucks please!

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3548 on: May 05, 2018, 11:32:37 PM »
Alright guys so I bent the axles on my new krux trucks, I've also bent thunders, tensor and silver trucks in the past. Don't like how Indys feel so I'm looking at either venture, royal or theeve. I'm 98kg and stomp my landings pretty hard. Thunders were probably my favourite feeling truck. Help me choose new trucks please!
Try some hollow thunders, the hollow axle is stronger.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3549 on: May 05, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This isn't entirely true. Hollow axles have a better strength to weight ratio compared to solid ones, but given the same circumference, solid ones are still stronger, but just marginally. In practice, the difference is typically negligible. If bending axles is a big problem, perhaps try the thunder titaniums, which have an axle that is both solid and titanium(as long as they're not lying about the alloy being actually containing titanium).

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3550 on: May 06, 2018, 12:00:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

This isn't entirely true. Hollow axles have a better strength to weight ratio compared to solid ones, but given the same circumference, solid ones are still stronger, but just marginally. In practice, the difference is typically negligible. If bending axles is a big problem, perhaps try the thunder titaniums, which have an axle that is both solid and titanium(as long as they're not lying about the alloy being actually containing titanium).
Shut up nerd.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3551 on: May 06, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Shut up nerd.

Let me refer you to what I linked earlier in this thread to really drive the point home:
https://www.mtbiker.sk/forum/resources/file/207637

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3552 on: May 06, 2018, 12:42:59 AM »

You mean 216 lb right? If those are your 3 choices theeve is the best of the choices you have, otherwise I say give thunder a chance again cause I mean big boy foy rides them chucking himself on rails and over stuff
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3553 on: May 06, 2018, 05:54:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Two things:

1. A hollow axle is less prone to bending than a solid axle
2. Steel is less prone to bending than titanium

If bending axles are your problem, get a pair of Ventures with the hollow axle. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 06:19:02 AM by BMCsteve »

Diocletian

« Reply #3554 on: May 06, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »
Hollow axle or kingpin of the same material as a solid chromoly one is not stronger.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3555 on: May 06, 2018, 02:18:45 PM »
Amazing...
Dude takes the time to post a link with formulas confirming that for a given diameter (which is the case in our trucks) the bending resistance will be greater for a solid rod than for a hollow tube of the same material (by a ratio of 85%, it demonstrates), yet people will still recommend to skate hollows to avoid bending...

As for material, a quick search indicates that there is no definitive answer here since we are possibly talking about a great number of different alloys.
The strongest alloy steels are stronger than the strongest titanium alloys (each taken in their hardest tempers), but it's obviously not what they sell you to put under your deck.
Also, the most commonly used alloy of Titanium (6al4v) is significantly stronger than the most commonly used steels.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3556 on: May 06, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »
I don't even really want to bring up Mini Logos again because I'm not planning on buying any but I seem to remember reading something about them being abnormally low so that if you wanted big wheels/loose trucks you absolutely needed risers.

Is this accurate?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3557 on: May 06, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
I don't even really want to bring up Mini Logos again because I'm not planning on buying any but I seem to remember reading something about them being abnormally low so that if you wanted big wheels/loose trucks you absolutely needed risers.

Is this accurate?

yes, they're like 48mm or something

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3558 on: May 06, 2018, 05:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Is this accurate?
[close]

yes, they're like 48mm or something

I've read 47.5mm and 49mm but nothing official - either way they're looooow.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3559 on: May 06, 2018, 07:36:42 PM »
We can only bring up Theeve so many times......minilogo was inevitable......

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3560 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You mean 216 lb right? If those are your 3 choices theeve is the best of the choices you have, otherwise I say give thunder a chance again cause I mean big boy foy rides them chucking himself on rails and over stuff

Foy is:

A) Sponsored by Thunder, he gets a box of trucks a month no doubt
B) Skates with other dudes also on Thunder and can get hooked up from any one of his (DW) homies if he bends fucks up a truck

Pros destroy shit way more than we do, they just don't talk about it publically is my guess and in their circles, it's probably more like, "Dude, I bent the FUCK out of these trucks trying that <xxx> in, f/s 5-0 to rail, to <180 tonyhawkgameruinedskateboadinggrind > to <xxx> out on that 654 stair set recently."

Diocletian

« Reply #3561 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »
Amazing...
Dude takes the time to post a link with formulas confirming that for a given diameter (which is the case in our trucks) the bending resistance will be greater for a solid rod than for a hollow tube of the same material (by a ratio of 85%, it demonstrates), yet people will still recommend to skate hollows to avoid bending...

As for material, a quick search indicates that there is no definitive answer here since we are possibly talking about a great number of different alloys.
The strongest alloy steels are stronger than the strongest titanium alloys (each taken in their hardest tempers), but it's obviously not what they sell you to put under your deck.
Also, the most commonly used alloy of Titanium (6al4v) is significantly stronger than the most commonly used steels.

Regular model truck axles are made of chromoly, which is still stronger than the titanium axles they put in the expensive ones.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3562 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »
Regular model truck axles are made of chromoly, which is still stronger than the titanium axles they put in the expensive ones.
Personally, I'm too light to bend axles, so I'd rather sacrifice some strength to have a lighter setup

hey pickle

« Reply #3563 on: May 07, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Personally, I'm too light to bend axles, so I'd rather sacrifice some strength to have a lighter setup

titanium grinds weird, i like soft chinese metal over ermico. was on ace 44, now on indy 139 ti which are good in every sense other than how they feel when youre grinding anything, gonna go krux next i think

NootNoot

« Reply #3564 on: May 07, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

titanium grinds weird, i like soft chinese metal over ermico. was on ace 44, now on indy 139 ti which are good in every sense other than how they feel when youre grinding anything, gonna go krux next i think
I’ve heard a few people say this about thunder titanium’s but Isn’t the hangar the exact same material as non ti trucks? It’s just the axle that’s titanium so it shouldn’t grind any different. Unless you are talking the feeling and vibrations which I guess could be different but probably the forged baseplate would make that difference over the cast one.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3565 on: May 07, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I’ve heard a few people say this about thunder titanium’s but Isn’t the hangar the exact same material as non ti trucks? It’s just the axle that’s titanium so it shouldn’t grind any different. Unless you are talking the feeling and vibrations which I guess could be different but probably the forged baseplate would make that difference over the cast one.

Only axle is different (that we know of).

I also prefer the feel of Krux/ACE over the others.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3566 on: May 07, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
Yeah I can't see how the axels change a grind but maybe a different factory makes them hence different alloys?  I dunno....you guys think hollows grind different? 

Diocletian

« Reply #3567 on: May 07, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
Doesn’t matter if a truck is hollow or titanium or whatever, the hanger is still aluminum and grinds the same, besides the TiH’s obviously.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3568 on: May 08, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Doesn’t matter if a truck is hollow or titanium or whatever, the hanger is still aluminum and grinds the same, besides the TiH’s obviously.

It's a feel thing, solid kings and axles make a truck (heavier) feel different, just like cast vs forged changes the way the board feels (and sounds at least to me); I'd say cast vs/ forged plates has a greater effect on how a board sounds and feels vs an axle.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3569 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
Anyone run Ace bushings in Indy's?  Wanted to try a firmer barrel bottom, softer cone top without having to run yellow/red two color setup.