Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220975 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3570 on: May 08, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
Anyone run Ace bushings in Indy's?  Wanted to try a firmer barrel bottom, softer cone top without having to run yellow/red two color setup.

The ace bushings are taller compared to Indys, especially the after market ones.

I tried both mix/matching duros and bushings (ML and Indy) and using soft bones bottom/hard top to try out the combo; not really a fan as I ride loose and expected the flop that you get from soft bushings (it's just what I am used to) soft bottoms, hard tops just didn't turn fast enough for me, it was like riding tighter trucks or harder bushing all around.

I'm just going to stick with my theeves and soft bones top and bottom

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3571 on: May 09, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
Anyone here know if 1” hardware will work with an 1/8” riser without any worries, or should I order 1 1/8” length hardware?

I used to do that all the time 1 inch is fine.

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #3572 on: May 09, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Anyone here know if 1” hardware will work with an 1/8” riser without any worries, or should I order 1 1/8” length hardware?

I would recommend 1 1/8" especially if you have cast baseplates

Not Local

« Reply #3573 on: May 09, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
Holy shit. You CANNOT use old hardware.  You are playing with fire now...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3574 on: May 09, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
1" works fine just like 7/8" works fine without risers. The screw will be pretty much flush with the nut unless you absolutely fucking drill those screws in the board (please don't)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3575 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »
1" works fine just like 7/8" works fine without risers. The screw will be pretty much flush with the nut unless you absolutely fucking drill those screws in the board (please don't)

I just ordered 1" bolts for the first time in forever (I always use 7/8"); I'm hoping I can overcome my OCD :P

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #3576 on: May 09, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »

Yea i do not fuck around with old shit. stripping is too dangerous
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3577 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do -Gotta get them dollas, HOLLA!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3578 on: May 09, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I use hardware until the nyloc in the nuts look like completely prolapsed anuses and I feel like they still work ok. Only Allen though, fuck combi and fuck Philips, those things strip way too easily. Could probably set up at least 10 boards with one set of hardware. 🤔

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3579 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »
I got it

Was ripping it up with my mini logo 8”

They feel like back in the day reliable krux downlow 3.5

If any of you guys rode a setup with a 7.5-7.8 deck and the old krux lows and remembered how much solid pop the setup was

That’s how mini logos feel, like the old krux downlows

Legit not kooking around, if your like me and prefer street tech skating and a lot of flip tricks and Ollie’s

Either thunder 147 with bones hards only bottom washer(yes the big one) or definitely try mini logo with the same bushing setup or stock

yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3580 on: May 09, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
I got it

Was ripping it up with my mini logo 8”

They feel like back in the day reliable krux downlow 3.5

If any of you guys rode a setup with a 7.5-7.8 deck and the old krux lows and remembered how much solid pop the setup was

That’s how mini logos feel, like the old krux downlows

Legit not kooking around, if your like me and prefer street tech skating and a lot of flip tricks and Ollie’s

Either thunder 147 with bones hards only bottom washer(yes the big one) or definitely try mini logo with the same bushing setup or stock

No one is…

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3581 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:10 AM »
remember 16 pages back when he cured his madness with thunders?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3582 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »

Haha I’m still riding thunders mostly 90% of the time

Mini logo trucks are very good

I have them on my other setup
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3583 on: May 10, 2018, 10:13:53 AM »
I just got the thunder  team hollows/ OG baseplate.....is it worth mucking around hammering out the kingpin to put in my krux and change out the bushings? or just ride them like a normal person before I dive back into,the madness?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3584 on: May 10, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »
I just got the thunder  team hollows/ OG baseplate.....is it worth mucking around hammering out the kingpin to put in my krux and change out the bushings? or just ride them like a normal person before I dive back into,the madness?

Krux pin maybe, but I wouldn't swap out the bushings, at least not the bottom as I've found nothing the same height that is conical.

One has to remember that the Krux pin originated from the Krux Downlow models, a lower truck so it's a tad shorter due to the design making it tough for someone like me, who rides loose, to get the bushings right. I had thought the solution was to shave down the top bushing so I would have more room to play with the nut and while this worked, the end result, given how loose I ride had the top washer binding with the hanger (like Stage Xs did); if you ride tight it should not be an issue.

I've ditched using the Krux pins after trying them with my aces and the newer bushings, the length of the pins makes it impossible for me to get loose enough without the fear of the nut falling off during a session unless I use super soft bushings and crank them down (which doesn't always work).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:00:12 PM by Xen »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3585 on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have them on my other personnality

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3586 on: May 10, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I have them on my other personnality
[close]

They really are good trucks
They respond very nicely like a smoother more controlled thunder

I Love them
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3587 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
Been running Bones Mediums w/ flat washers on both bushings in my Ventures and I've been digging it so far. They look kinda cool in black too.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:03:49 PM by DaSk8D00D »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3588 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:50 AM »

I had a minor melt down getting the kingpin out of forged thunders to do this. The nut sticks just above flush with the forged but I'm fat, ride loose trucks and 54 wheels so I have a 1/8 bones riser with a little taken out between the logo's ears and that works just fine.
"Normal is a setting on a washing machine."
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3589 on: May 11, 2018, 04:34:20 AM »
Just reporting that I still have my peace with these new V2.5 stock Ace's.  They turn amazingly well, stable pop, controlled in bowls, minimal wheel bite, etc. 

I'm sure they're not for everyone but these are pretty much a set it and forget it truck. 

Diocletian

« Reply #3590 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »
I agree, Steve. They truly can be ran stock and work perfectly fine for most people. I’m heavier so I can’t run them insanely loose without wheelbite, though. I’ve decided to put aside my distaste for risers and try out some conical bushings with an 1/8” riser and make them extra carvy to eliminate the wheelbite and get an even deeper turn out of them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3591 on: May 11, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a minor melt down getting the kingpin out of forged thunders to do this. The nut sticks just above flush with the forged but I'm fat, ride loose trucks and 54 wheels so I have a 1/8 bones riser with a little taken out between the logo's ears and that works just fine.

I peaced a perfectly good set of thunders I assumed they were cast because they were older, and I just wouldn't stop pounding.....these are the OG ones so hopefully when and if I switch them out it won't be a problem....

Good thing is I'm a bit lazy and so ill roll with it stock for a bit....

If you care about carving around ACE are the best....they are a higher truck too so wheel bite isn't as bad. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3592 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I peaced a perfectly good set of thunders I assumed they were cast because they were older, and I just wouldn't stop pounding.....these are the OG ones so hopefully when and if I switch them out it won't be a problem....

Good thing is I'm a bit lazy and so ill roll with it stock for a bit....

If you care about carving around ACE are the best....they are a higher truck too so wheel bite isn't as bad.

Ace = 52MM
Thunder - 52.3MM forged / 53.3mm cast

ballintoohard

« Reply #3593 on: May 11, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
Height is not the only factor for wheelbite since the wheel moves at an arc.  Wheel shape and truck geo matter more.

I find I get less wheelbite with Classics, but still have it with Indies. I really want to try Ace just to have less in general, not run looser.  Also have some Thunders lying around but apparently those aren't too kind on bite either.

NootNoot

« Reply #3594 on: May 11, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
I think because classics have a rounded edge they don’t dig into the deck as much, instead of a conical wheel that has a hard edge that catches the deck. Maybe not though. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3595 on: May 11, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
At 175lbs I find that if I'm not riding bones softs, top and bottom, everything is too tight; I get WB with EVERYTHING, I could be riding 45mm wheels, stacked risers and I'll still get pitched ;)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:51:03 PM by Xen »

Not Local

« Reply #3596 on: May 11, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Height is not the only factor for wheelbite since the wheel moves at an arc.  Wheel shape and truck geo matter more.

I find I get less wheelbite with Classics, but still have it with Indies. I really want to try Ace just to have less in general, not run looser.  Also have some Thunders lying around but apparently those aren't too kind on bite either.

Good point. I get way less wheel bite on Ace b/c of the way they carve. There other ways ways to reduce wheel bite, aside from risers and bushings, like you said, wheel shape, but also deck to truck width ratio can play a role. For instance, I get more wheel bite with wider trucks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:05:22 PM by Not Local »

NootNoot

« Reply #3597 on: May 11, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
A lot of people on here seem to prefer wide trucks so that the wheels line up with the edge of the deck, like 159 on 8.5 or 149 on 8.25, which made me try that out but I find its way harder to get leverage in the pocket and there’s more wheelbite. Also weird locking into grinds. Doesn’t work for me. I like the axle nut to be flush. Someone said a few pages back that 159 was too small on 8.5 and they wanted to go 169, or Cyril Jackson skates 149 on size 8. It’s crazy how much comes down to preference in skateboarding or maybe I over analyze things. This was never a care for me until I started reading robs posts. His posts should come with a disclaimer attached in his signature. Rob could sell me on anything something about his avatar combined with his words eats away in my inner ear until I try what he says is best.

nsskater1993

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3598 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
At 175lbs I find that if I'm not riding bones softs, top and bottom, everything is too tight; I get WB with EVERYTHING, I could be riding 45mm wheels, stacked risers and I'll still get pitched ;)

Funny I was just looking all over the place for reviews/opinions on bones soft bushings since I bought some on a whim. They'll be coming Monday, haven't tried bones bushings yet, pumped to try these softs. I'm 190 pounds so it's nice to know you have good experiences with them. How soft do they feel? I looked it up and it said they're like 81a I think.

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3599 on: May 11, 2018, 11:06:00 PM »
Anybody ever tried gullwings? I'm tempted to for no other reason than the fact that I'm pretty sure nobody has tried to skate street with them in the current millennia.
They also apparently did a collab truck with B.A.K.U.