Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296656 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3600 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »
Amazing...
Dude takes the time to post a link with formulas confirming that for a given diameter (which is the case in our trucks) the bending resistance will be greater for a solid rod than for a hollow tube of the same material (by a ratio of 85%, it demonstrates), yet people will still recommend to skate hollows to avoid bending...

As for material, a quick search indicates that there is no definitive answer here since we are possibly talking about a great number of different alloys.
The strongest alloy steels are stronger than the strongest titanium alloys (each taken in their hardest tempers), but it's obviously not what they sell you to put under your deck.
Also, the most commonly used alloy of Titanium (6al4v) is significantly stronger than the most commonly used steels.

Regular model truck axles are made of chromoly, which is still stronger than the titanium axles they put in the expensive ones.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #3601 on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »
Regular model truck axles are made of chromoly, which is still stronger than the titanium axles they put in the expensive ones.
Personally, I'm too light to bend axles, so I'd rather sacrifice some strength to have a lighter setup
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

hey pickle

• Rep: -30
« Reply #3602 on: May 07, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »
Personally, I'm too light to bend axles, so I'd rather sacrifice some strength to have a lighter setup

titanium grinds weird, i like soft chinese metal over ermico. was on ace 44, now on indy 139 ti which are good in every sense other than how they feel when youre grinding anything, gonna go krux next i think

NootNoot

« Reply #3603 on: May 07, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »

titanium grinds weird, i like soft chinese metal over ermico. was on ace 44, now on indy 139 ti which are good in every sense other than how they feel when youre grinding anything, gonna go krux next i think
Iíve heard a few people say this about thunder titaniumís but Isnít the hangar the exact same material as non ti trucks? Itís just the axle thatís titanium so it shouldnít grind any different. Unless you are talking the feeling and vibrations which I guess could be different but probably the forged baseplate would make that difference over the cast one.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3604 on: May 07, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »

Iíve heard a few people say this about thunder titaniumís but Isnít the hangar the exact same material as non ti trucks? Itís just the axle thatís titanium so it shouldnít grind any different. Unless you are talking the feeling and vibrations which I guess could be different but probably the forged baseplate would make that difference over the cast one.

Only axle is different (that we know of).

I also prefer the feel of Krux/ACE over the others.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #3605 on: May 07, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
Yeah I can't see how the axels change a grind but maybe a different factory makes them hence different alloys?  I dunno....you guys think hollows grind different? 

Diocletian

« Reply #3606 on: May 07, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
Doesnít matter if a truck is hollow or titanium or whatever, the hanger is still aluminum and grinds the same, besides the TiHís obviously.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3607 on: May 08, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Doesnít matter if a truck is hollow or titanium or whatever, the hanger is still aluminum and grinds the same, besides the TiHís obviously.

It's a feel thing, solid kings and axles make a truck (heavier) feel different, just like cast vs forged changes the way the board feels (and sounds at least to me); I'd say cast vs/ forged plates has a greater effect on how a board sounds and feels vs an axle.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3608 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »
Anyone run Ace bushings in Indy's?  Wanted to try a firmer barrel bottom, softer cone top without having to run yellow/red two color setup.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3609 on: May 08, 2018, 01:37:14 PM »
Anyone run Ace bushings in Indy's?  Wanted to try a firmer barrel bottom, softer cone top without having to run yellow/red two color setup.

The ace bushings are taller compared to Indys, especially the after market ones.

I tried both mix/matching duros and bushings (ML and Indy) and using soft bones bottom/hard top to try out the combo; not really a fan as I ride loose and expected the flop that you get from soft bushings (it's just what I am used to) soft bottoms, hard tops just didn't turn fast enough for me, it was like riding tighter trucks or harder bushing all around.

I'm just going to stick with my theeves and soft bones top and bottom

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3610 on: May 09, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
Anyone here know if 1Ē hardware will work with an 1/8Ē riser without any worries, or should I order 1 1/8Ē length hardware?

I used to do that all the time 1 inch is fine.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3611 on: May 09, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Anyone here know if 1Ē hardware will work with an 1/8Ē riser without any worries, or should I order 1 1/8Ē length hardware?

I would recommend 1 1/8" especially if you have cast baseplates

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3612 on: May 09, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
Holy shit. You CANNOT use old hardware.  You are playing with fire now...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #3613 on: May 09, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
1" works fine just like 7/8" works fine without risers. The screw will be pretty much flush with the nut unless you absolutely fucking drill those screws in the board (please don't)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3614 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:48 PM »
1" works fine just like 7/8" works fine without risers. The screw will be pretty much flush with the nut unless you absolutely fucking drill those screws in the board (please don't)

I just ordered 1" bolts for the first time in forever (I always use 7/8"); I'm hoping I can overcome my OCD :P

Dwyck

• Rep: -23
  • I left my Phillie at home - do you have another?
« Reply #3615 on: May 09, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »

Yea i do not fuck around with old shit. stripping is too dangerous
When discussions spiral into shit like this it's time to drop 250ug lsd and stare at a lake for a minute.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3616 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do -Gotta get them dollas, HOLLA!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3617 on: May 09, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »

I use hardware until the nyloc in the nuts look like completely prolapsed anuses and I feel like they still work ok. Only Allen though, fuck combi and fuck Philips, those things strip way too easily. Could probably set up at least 10 boards with one set of hardware. 🤔

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3618 on: May 09, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »
I got it

Was ripping it up with my mini logo 8Ē

They feel like back in the day reliable krux downlow 3.5

If any of you guys rode a setup with a 7.5-7.8 deck and the old krux lows and remembered how much solid pop the setup was

Thatís how mini logos feel, like the old krux downlows

Legit not kooking around, if your like me and prefer street tech skating and a lot of flip tricks and Ollieís

Either thunder 147 with bones hards only bottom washer(yes the big one) or definitely try mini logo with the same bushing setup or stock

yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3619 on: May 09, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »
I got it

Was ripping it up with my mini logo 8Ē

They feel like back in the day reliable krux downlow 3.5

If any of you guys rode a setup with a 7.5-7.8 deck and the old krux lows and remembered how much solid pop the setup was

Thatís how mini logos feel, like the old krux downlows

Legit not kooking around, if your like me and prefer street tech skating and a lot of flip tricks and Ollieís

Either thunder 147 with bones hards only bottom washer(yes the big one) or definitely try mini logo with the same bushing setup or stock

No one isÖ

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3620 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:10 AM »
remember 16 pages back when he cured his madness with thunders?

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3621 on: May 10, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »

Haha Iím still riding thunders mostly 90% of the time

Mini logo trucks are very good

I have them on my other setup
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #3622 on: May 10, 2018, 10:13:53 AM »
I just got the thunder  team hollows/ OG baseplate.....is it worth mucking around hammering out the kingpin to put in my krux and change out the bushings? or just ride them like a normal person before I dive back into,the madness?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3623 on: May 10, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »
I just got the thunder  team hollows/ OG baseplate.....is it worth mucking around hammering out the kingpin to put in my krux and change out the bushings? or just ride them like a normal person before I dive back into,the madness?

Krux pin maybe, but I wouldn't swap out the bushings, at least not the bottom as I've found nothing the same height that is conical.

One has to remember that the Krux pin originated from the Krux Downlow models, a lower truck so it's a tad shorter due to the design making it tough for someone like me, who rides loose, to get the bushings right. I had thought the solution was to shave down the top bushing so I would have more room to play with the nut and while this worked, the end result, given how loose I ride had the top washer binding with the hanger (like Stage Xs did); if you ride tight it should not be an issue.

I've ditched using the Krux pins after trying them with my aces and the newer bushings, the length of the pins makes it impossible for me to get loose enough without the fear of the nut falling off during a session unless I use super soft bushings and crank them down (which doesn't always work).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:00:12 PM by Xen »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #3624 on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »

I have them on my other personnality

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3625 on: May 10, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »

I have them on my other personnality

They really are good trucks
They respond very nicely like a smoother more controlled thunder

I Love them
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3626 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
Been running Bones Mediums w/ flat washers on both bushings in my Ventures and I've been digging it so far. They look kinda cool in black too.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:03:49 PM by DaSk8D00D »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3627 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:50 AM »

I had a minor melt down getting the kingpin out of forged thunders to do this. The nut sticks just above flush with the forged but I'm fat, ride loose trucks and 54 wheels so I have a 1/8 bones riser with a little taken out between the logo's ears and that works just fine.
"Normal is a setting on a washing machine."
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3628 on: May 11, 2018, 04:34:20 AM »
Just reporting that I still have my peace with these new V2.5 stock Ace's.  They turn amazingly well, stable pop, controlled in bowls, minimal wheel bite, etc. 

I'm sure they're not for everyone but these are pretty much a set it and forget it truck. 

Diocletian

« Reply #3629 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:19 AM »
I agree, Steve. They truly can be ran stock and work perfectly fine for most people. Iím heavier so I canít run them insanely loose without wheelbite, though. Iíve decided to put aside my distaste for risers and try out some conical bushings with an 1/8Ē riser and make them extra carvy to eliminate the wheelbite and get an even deeper turn out of them.