Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296403 times)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3630 on: May 11, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
I just got the thunder  team hollows/ OG baseplate.....is it worth mucking around hammering out the kingpin to put in my krux and change out the bushings? or just ride them like a normal person before I dive back into,the madness?

I had a minor melt down getting the kingpin out of forged thunders to do this. The nut sticks just above flush with the forged but I'm fat, ride loose trucks and 54 wheels so I have a 1/8 bones riser with a little taken out between the logo's ears and that works just fine.
"Normal is a setting on a washing machine."

I peaced a perfectly good set of thunders I assumed they were cast because they were older, and I just wouldn't stop pounding.....these are the OG ones so hopefully when and if I switch them out it won't be a problem....

Good thing is I'm a bit lazy and so ill roll with it stock for a bit....

If you care about carving around ACE are the best....they are a higher truck too so wheel bite isn't as bad. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3631 on: May 11, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »
I just got the thunder  team hollows/ OG baseplate.....is it worth mucking around hammering out the kingpin to put in my krux and change out the bushings? or just ride them like a normal person before I dive back into,the madness?

I had a minor melt down getting the kingpin out of forged thunders to do this. The nut sticks just above flush with the forged but I'm fat, ride loose trucks and 54 wheels so I have a 1/8 bones riser with a little taken out between the logo's ears and that works just fine.
"Normal is a setting on a washing machine."

I peaced a perfectly good set of thunders I assumed they were cast because they were older, and I just wouldn't stop pounding.....these are the OG ones so hopefully when and if I switch them out it won't be a problem....

Good thing is I'm a bit lazy and so ill roll with it stock for a bit....

If you care about carving around ACE are the best....they are a higher truck too so wheel bite isn't as bad.

Ace = 52MM
Thunder - 52.3MM forged / 53.3mm cast

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3632 on: May 11, 2018, 10:56:55 AM »
Height is not the only factor for wheelbite since the wheel moves at an arc.  Wheel shape and truck geo matter more.

I find I get less wheelbite with Classics, but still have it with Indies. I really want to try Ace just to have less in general, not run looser.  Also have some Thunders lying around but apparently those aren't too kind on bite either.

NootNoot

« Reply #3633 on: May 11, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
I think because classics have a rounded edge they donít dig into the deck as much, instead of a conical wheel that has a hard edge that catches the deck. Maybe not though. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3634 on: May 11, 2018, 03:14:45 PM »
At 175lbs I find that if I'm not riding bones softs, top and bottom, everything is too tight; I get WB with EVERYTHING, I could be riding 45mm wheels, stacked risers and I'll still get pitched ;)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 04:51:03 PM by Xen »

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3635 on: May 11, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Height is not the only factor for wheelbite since the wheel moves at an arc.  Wheel shape and truck geo matter more.

I find I get less wheelbite with Classics, but still have it with Indies. I really want to try Ace just to have less in general, not run looser.  Also have some Thunders lying around but apparently those aren't too kind on bite either.

Good point. I get way less wheel bite on Ace b/c of the way they carve. There other ways ways to reduce wheel bite, aside from risers and bushings, like you said, wheel shape, but also deck to truck width ratio can play a role. For instance, I get more wheel bite with wider trucks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:05:22 PM by Not Local »

NootNoot

« Reply #3636 on: May 11, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
A lot of people on here seem to prefer wide trucks so that the wheels line up with the edge of the deck, like 159 on 8.5 or 149 on 8.25, which made me try that out but I find its way harder to get leverage in the pocket and thereís more wheelbite. Also weird locking into grinds. Doesnít work for me. I like the axle nut to be flush. Someone said a few pages back that 159 was too small on 8.5 and they wanted to go 169, or Cyril Jackson skates 149 on size 8. Itís crazy how much comes down to preference in skateboarding or maybe I over analyze things. This was never a care for me until I started reading robs posts. His posts should come with a disclaimer attached in his signature. Rob could sell me on anything something about his avatar combined with his words eats away in my inner ear until I try what he says is best.

nsskater1993

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3637 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
At 175lbs I find that if I'm not riding bones softs, top and bottom, everything is too tight; I get WB with EVERYTHING, I could be riding 45mm wheels, stacked risers and I'll still get pitched ;)

Funny I was just looking all over the place for reviews/opinions on bones soft bushings since I bought some on a whim. They'll be coming Monday, haven't tried bones bushings yet, pumped to try these softs. I'm 190 pounds so it's nice to know you have good experiences with them. How soft do they feel? I looked it up and it said they're like 81a I think.

shitcunt

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3638 on: May 11, 2018, 11:06:00 PM »
Anybody ever tried gullwings? I'm tempted to for no other reason than the fact that I'm pretty sure nobody has tried to skate street with them in the current millennia.
They also apparently did a collab truck with B.A.K.U.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3639 on: May 11, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
Fellas, Iím putting bones mediums on my Indyís and while when theyíre brand new I leave the nut flush i find myself cranking them down after some time, would switching up to bones hards help me keep my nut flush for longer ?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3640 on: May 12, 2018, 12:33:32 AM »
Fellas, Iím putting bones mediums on my Indyís and while when theyíre brand new I leave the nut flush i find myself cranking them down after some time, would switching up to bones hards help me keep my nut flush for longer ?

Yes. Think of it this way, Well broken in hards are closer to new mediums, well broken in mediums are closer to new softs (not really but you get the idea), well broken in softs is like putting rubber bands around your kingpin.

Hard take a loooooooooooooooooooooong time to break in tho, be warned.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #3641 on: May 12, 2018, 12:47:41 AM »

Yes. Think of it this way, Well broken in hards are closer to new mediums, well broken in mediums are closer to new softs (not really but you get the idea), well broken in softs is like putting rubber bands around your kingpin.

Hard take a loooooooooooooooooooooong time to break in tho, be warned.

Haha!  ;D

Softs are crazy soft, mediums and hards are way too hard for me. Thankfully I've found the light with stock Aces and am getting rid of all my other trucks!  :D

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3642 on: May 12, 2018, 12:57:27 AM »
Thatís a really clear breakdown, good looks XEN   +1

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3643 on: May 12, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
Anybody ever tried gullwings? I'm tempted to for no other reason than the fact that I'm pretty sure nobody has tried to skate street with them in the current millennia.

I don't know too much about the regular ones but the barrier cult ones....the main thing I'd warn you of is they don't have much of a turning radius. They were trucks made for vert.....

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3644 on: May 12, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »
^ A lot of people like the Pro III's, but this was my experience (set em up for a retro board):

Out of the box--they don't turn, at all. Even with the nut barely hanging on. And yet, somehow they speed wobble really easily.

The bushings are too damn tall to be replaced with anything else. The only solution I found was bones mediums with the washer added to the bottom (they don't come stock with a bottom washer, there's just a seat that the bushing fit into). They actually carve decent after doing this, but still speed wobble like crazy. I got pitched and hyper-extended my knee just coming down a goddamn bank at a skatepark.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to trucks, but these are unadulterated crap.

IHOP

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3645 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

I don't know too much about the regular ones but the barrier cult ones....the main thing I'd warn you of is they don't have much of a turning radius. They were trucks made for vert.....

Friend who mainly skates bowls really likes them, he skates street too but definitely isnt flipping into or out of any ledges.
only in skateboarding is putting an adult in a position where they might have to actually work for their income "ruining their life"  ::)

ballintoohard

« Reply #3646 on: May 13, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »

You get WB with the softs, or with things other than softs?

I tried Bones and Indy conical and found it a bit squirely feelin'.  Now just on the aftermarket Indy cylinder med and they have softened up a decent amount and feel pretty good. Feel a bit more stable until you lean in and then they really cut.

I'd try Ace, but I hate having new trucks.  And even these Indys are still really fresh. Not trying to rock a Christmas complete in June.

Clock3rs

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3647 on: May 14, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
So my second pair of krux bent and cracked within 2 months. So theres no option going back to them ever again.

Hence I am thinking of either riding Indys 149 Hollow forged or the Thunder Hollow Teams 149, as these are 1 mm higher than the forged ones.

Any opinions? I usually ride generator boards, baker 8.5 shape or polar 8.5 shapes. I like my boards at least 32 inch long. Heard good but also bad shit about thunder trucks. Only heard good shit about Indys, though they are kind of "high", aren't they? It's been at least 6 years that I rode my last independents (hollow) and I believe they were lower back then.

sorry

• Rep: -9
« Reply #3648 on: May 14, 2018, 02:00:12 AM »
Only heard good shit about Indys, though they are kind of "high", aren't they? It's been at least 6 years that I rode my last independents (hollow) and I believe they were lower back then.

standard indy are 55mm
indy with forged baseplate are 53.5mm

clintendo

• of sponnoz
« Reply #3649 on: May 14, 2018, 02:16:34 AM »
If anyone out there has been having trouble finding the balance in bones bushing between medium and hard, if you can get a hold of them, get yourselves the bushings that come with the theeve V3's, they'll look exactly like bones but will have white plastic instead of the usual blue, yellow or black, they are the perfect balance between the medium and hard compounds.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3650 on: May 14, 2018, 06:08:44 AM »
Re: Gullwings

I have a friend who skates the BAKUs and some plastic hanger version who likes them but he's heavy and a bowlrider. I think that groove thing would be awful- I know that's not where I wear grooves on my trucks.

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 116
« Reply #3651 on: May 14, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
yeah who the fuck locks into any grinds bang in the middle of the trucks.

layzieyez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3652 on: May 14, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
My trucks are too loose now that it's getting hot.
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3653 on: May 14, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
The pro IIIís have gotta be top on the list of ugliest trucks ever made. I tried those Shadows, the version in the photo which are just raw cast from China, and I also tried the made in USA ones with the silver cast hanger and black baseplate. Theyíre the heaviest trucks Iíve ever skated, are only like 50mm tall so you need risers, and turn like an Indy, maybe a little slower. The kingpin is reversible in the USA ones but it didnít make much of difference. Cool thing is you can just take out the kingpin and use an inverted one easily without the need for any hammering or JB Weld. Theyíre not the worst trucks ever but not anything special. Basically just a cool guy alternative when you donít wanna ride Indy or any of the other ďbigĒ ones and still stay hesh. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3654 on: May 14, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
I have the inverted kingpins and they are super heavy duty but the head sticks out so you can hang up on them....the royal one's look like dog shit too compared to the krux ones which are awesome. 

It's kind of a specialty item but I dunno why no one else makes the inverted kingpins. If any of you wanted to do a side hustle I think people would buy these....

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3655 on: May 14, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
Are you talking about those NOS Gullwing stainless steel inverted allen head kingpins? I have a set of those brand new actually. They feel indestructible but I havenít tried them. Bought them off a dude on eBay just to have them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3656 on: May 14, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »
Exactly....they are like military grade hardware....

Clock3rs

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3657 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:22 AM »
bought the indy 149 hollow. riding the stock bushings. Fucking love them. fuck krux

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3658 on: May 15, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »

Sheepishly puts up hand.
I blame Gullwings and crusty old skateparks with noping.
Hence my inverted kingpin fixation.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3659 on: May 15, 2018, 03:44:59 AM »

Sheepishly puts up hand.
I blame Gullwings and crusty old skateparks with noping.
Hence my inverted kingpin fixation.

I mostly skate angle iron and my trucks always wear around the kingpin the most. I have always believed the culprit is the shape of the hanger with less material to be ground of at that area, hence the gullwing trucks effect.
@Cosmic Gypsies  I will show you the trucks in person in about 10 days haha
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.