Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221620 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3600 on: May 11, 2018, 11:56:30 PM »
Fellas, I’m putting bones mediums on my Indy’s and while when they’re brand new I leave the nut flush i find myself cranking them down after some time, would switching up to bones hards help me keep my nut flush for longer ?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3601 on: May 12, 2018, 12:33:32 AM »
Fellas, I’m putting bones mediums on my Indy’s and while when they’re brand new I leave the nut flush i find myself cranking them down after some time, would switching up to bones hards help me keep my nut flush for longer ?

Yes. Think of it this way, Well broken in hards are closer to new mediums, well broken in mediums are closer to new softs (not really but you get the idea), well broken in softs is like putting rubber bands around your kingpin.

Hard take a loooooooooooooooooooooong time to break in tho, be warned.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3602 on: May 12, 2018, 12:47:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. Think of it this way, Well broken in hards are closer to new mediums, well broken in mediums are closer to new softs (not really but you get the idea), well broken in softs is like putting rubber bands around your kingpin.

Hard take a loooooooooooooooooooooong time to break in tho, be warned.

Haha!  ;D

Softs are crazy soft, mediums and hards are way too hard for me. Thankfully I've found the light with stock Aces and am getting rid of all my other trucks!  :D

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3603 on: May 12, 2018, 12:57:27 AM »
That’s a really clear breakdown, good looks XEN   +1

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3604 on: May 12, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
Anybody ever tried gullwings? I'm tempted to for no other reason than the fact that I'm pretty sure nobody has tried to skate street with them in the current millennia.
They also apparently did a collab truck with B.A.K.U.

I don't know too much about the regular ones but the barrier cult ones....the main thing I'd warn you of is they don't have much of a turning radius. They were trucks made for vert.....

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3605 on: May 12, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »
^ A lot of people like the Pro III's, but this was my experience (set em up for a retro board):

Out of the box--they don't turn, at all. Even with the nut barely hanging on. And yet, somehow they speed wobble really easily.

The bushings are too damn tall to be replaced with anything else. The only solution I found was bones mediums with the washer added to the bottom (they don't come stock with a bottom washer, there's just a seat that the bushing fit into). They actually carve decent after doing this, but still speed wobble like crazy. I got pitched and hyper-extended my knee just coming down a goddamn bank at a skatepark.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to trucks, but these are unadulterated crap.

IHOP

« Reply #3606 on: May 13, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody ever tried gullwings? I'm tempted to for no other reason than the fact that I'm pretty sure nobody has tried to skate street with them in the current millennia.
They also apparently did a collab truck with B.A.K.U.

[close]

I don't know too much about the regular ones but the barrier cult ones....the main thing I'd warn you of is they don't have much of a turning radius. They were trucks made for vert.....

Friend who mainly skates bowls really likes them, he skates street too but definitely isnt flipping into or out of any ledges.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3607 on: May 13, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »
At 175lbs I find that if I'm not riding bones softs, top and bottom, everything is too tight; I get WB with EVERYTHING, I could be riding 45mm wheels, stacked risers and I'll still get pitched ;)

You get WB with the softs, or with things other than softs?

I tried Bones and Indy conical and found it a bit squirely feelin'.  Now just on the aftermarket Indy cylinder med and they have softened up a decent amount and feel pretty good. Feel a bit more stable until you lean in and then they really cut.

I'd try Ace, but I hate having new trucks.  And even these Indys are still really fresh. Not trying to rock a Christmas complete in June.

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3608 on: May 14, 2018, 01:30:16 AM »
So my second pair of krux bent and cracked within 2 months. So theres no option going back to them ever again.

Hence I am thinking of either riding Indys 149 Hollow forged or the Thunder Hollow Teams 149, as these are 1 mm higher than the forged ones.

Any opinions? I usually ride generator boards, baker 8.5 shape or polar 8.5 shapes. I like my boards at least 32 inch long. Heard good but also bad shit about thunder trucks. Only heard good shit about Indys, though they are kind of "high", aren't they? It's been at least 6 years that I rode my last independents (hollow) and I believe they were lower back then.

sorry

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3609 on: May 14, 2018, 02:00:12 AM »
Only heard good shit about Indys, though they are kind of "high", aren't they? It's been at least 6 years that I rode my last independents (hollow) and I believe they were lower back then.

standard indy are 55mm
indy with forged baseplate are 53.5mm

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #3610 on: May 14, 2018, 02:16:34 AM »
If anyone out there has been having trouble finding the balance in bones bushing between medium and hard, if you can get a hold of them, get yourselves the bushings that come with the theeve V3's, they'll look exactly like bones but will have white plastic instead of the usual blue, yellow or black, they are the perfect balance between the medium and hard compounds.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3611 on: May 14, 2018, 06:08:44 AM »
Re: Gullwings

I have a friend who skates the BAKUs and some plastic hanger version who likes them but he's heavy and a bowlrider. I think that groove thing would be awful- I know that's not where I wear grooves on my trucks.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3612 on: May 14, 2018, 06:15:26 AM »
yeah who the fuck locks into any grinds bang in the middle of the trucks.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3613 on: May 14, 2018, 11:32:12 AM »
My trucks are too loose now that it's getting hot.

Diocletian

« Reply #3614 on: May 14, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
The pro III’s have gotta be top on the list of ugliest trucks ever made. I tried those Shadows, the version in the photo which are just raw cast from China, and I also tried the made in USA ones with the silver cast hanger and black baseplate. They’re the heaviest trucks I’ve ever skated, are only like 50mm tall so you need risers, and turn like an Indy, maybe a little slower. The kingpin is reversible in the USA ones but it didn’t make much of difference. Cool thing is you can just take out the kingpin and use an inverted one easily without the need for any hammering or JB Weld. They’re not the worst trucks ever but not anything special. Basically just a cool guy alternative when you don’t wanna ride Indy or any of the other “big” ones and still stay hesh. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3615 on: May 14, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
I have the inverted kingpins and they are super heavy duty but the head sticks out so you can hang up on them....the royal one's look like dog shit too compared to the krux ones which are awesome. 

It's kind of a specialty item but I dunno why no one else makes the inverted kingpins. If any of you wanted to do a side hustle I think people would buy these....

Diocletian

« Reply #3616 on: May 14, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
Are you talking about those NOS Gullwing stainless steel inverted allen head kingpins? I have a set of those brand new actually. They feel indestructible but I haven’t tried them. Bought them off a dude on eBay just to have them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3617 on: May 14, 2018, 05:46:54 PM »
Exactly....they are like military grade hardware....

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3618 on: May 15, 2018, 01:56:22 AM »
bought the indy 149 hollow. riding the stock bushings. Fucking love them. fuck krux

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3619 on: May 15, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »

Sheepishly puts up hand.
I blame Gullwings and crusty old skateparks with noping.
Hence my inverted kingpin fixation.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3620 on: May 15, 2018, 03:44:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sheepishly puts up hand.

I mostly skate angle iron and my trucks always wear around the kingpin the most. I have always believed the culprit is the shape of the hanger with less material to be ground of at that area, hence the gullwing trucks effect.
@Cosmic Gypsies  I will show you the trucks in person in about 10 days haha
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3621 on: May 15, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Sheepishly puts up hand.
[close]

I mostly skate angle iron and my trucks always wear around the kingpin the most. I have always believed the culprit is the shape of the hanger with less material to be ground of at that area, hence the gullwing trucks effect.
@Cosmic Gypsies  I will show you the trucks in person in about 10 days haha

i mostly skate transition so i just have a nice gash in my back truck, never really seen anyone with grooves in the center of their trucks. normally see em on either side from tranny grinds, hefty crook/feeble grooves etc but never in the middle.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3622 on: May 15, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
^Looking good!

My center groove is not as pronounced as the crook grooves. It is there though and when I do 5050's on curbs it often throws me of.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3623 on: May 15, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
I know this has probably been discussed before but is there a difference in height between stage 10 and 11 indys?  Thinking about setting up a board with one of each but worried it will mess with my truck ocd.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3624 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »
I know this has probably been discussed before but is there a difference in height between stage 10 and 11 indys?  Thinking about setting up a board with one of each but worried it will mess with my truck ocd.
Stage 10’s are lower, I think same height as stage 11 forged, 53,5mm, while regular stage XI are 55mm tall.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3625 on: May 16, 2018, 12:37:28 AM »

Have a gnar for your efforts, those should go in the “grind down to the axle” thread

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3626 on: May 16, 2018, 01:14:31 AM »

Not only in height but response

11 are really up to date with today’s skating needing a quicker turn and deep

10 are a bit sticky, you gotta try for turns and they go deep but slow on response for turns. They were made for the era when people jumped down stairs and needed stability. If you want to make the turn quicker bones mediums were made perfectly for stage 10 in mind
yes

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3627 on: May 16, 2018, 02:15:07 AM »
Not what I wanted to hear but appreciate the responses
All you got is today, get out and skate.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3628 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not only in height but response

11 are really up to date with today’s skating needing a quicker turn and deep

10 are a bit sticky, you gotta try for turns and they go deep but slow on response for turns. They were made for the era when people jumped down stairs and needed stability. If you want to make the turn quicker bones mediums were made perfectly for stage 10 in mind

Strangely enough, I'm running Stage 10 baseplates with Stage 11 hangers with Indy low (the blue ones) bushings on one of my setups and I really like it. Actually, I like it more than stock stage 11's. You can get them wobbly loose without losing too much stability. I also weigh close to 200 so take it for what it's worth.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3629 on: May 16, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
not sure anything is different between the Stage 10 and Stage 11 baseplates... wasnt the change all in the hangar?  or was there a change in the height of the kingpin?

hardly art, hardly starving