Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220527 times)

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3630 on: May 16, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
not sure anything is different between the Stage 10 and Stage 11 baseplates... wasnt the change all in the hangar?  or was there a change in the height of the kingpin?

Baseplates are identical.  The only thing that changed was the hanger and having the cross on the front of the baseplate

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3631 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:12 AM »
lol just realized my shits got a crack running through it

also seems to have one coming from the same place on the front truck running horizontally. eh fuck it stick with em the wheels fall of.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3632 on: May 16, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »
lol just realized my shits got a crack running through it

also seems to have one coming from the same place on the front truck running horizontally. eh fuck it stick with em the wheels fall of.

Warranty!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3633 on: May 16, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
i thought thunders were only warrantied against manufacturer defects? a crack from 2 years of skating and being down to the axle on the same spot it's cracked probably dont count lol

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3634 on: May 16, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
i thought thunders were only warrantied against manufacturer defects? a crack from 2 years of skating and being down to the axle on the same spot it's cracked probably dont count lol

I didn't notice they were the same pair at first.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3635 on: May 16, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
anyone have some extra regular ol' Indy cast base plates they are looking to get rid of?  preferably from the past couple of years...
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3636 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »
anyone have some extra regular ol' Indy cast base plates they are looking to get rid of?  preferably from the past couple of years...

Removed to keep the peace with Art ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:35:25 PM by Xen »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3637 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
please dont bring that garbage into the sacred 'gear' threads

EDIT:  damnit Xen, this is exactly why we dont need shit like that in the gear section.  now i feel like i have to explain myself.  by “garbage” i mean, making jokes in every other thread about the Jason Jesse thread detracts from the weight of the issues actually being discussed in there and needlessly makes the section of the boards where it’s still f”fun” to talk about skateboarding degenerate into something other than just talking about the pieces to a skateboard. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:13:01 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3638 on: May 16, 2018, 05:40:27 PM »
The madness is my oasis......

Skating the thunder team hollows.  I like em...on a 51 mm wheel minimal wheelbite I think even the one mm makes a difference.  They are still light too.  Love the twitch.....I haven't skated them in a bowl or anything but so far happy with the turn.  Sized up to a 148. 

Haven't dropped in the krux kingpin and new bushings yet.  The stocks are a bit mushy but they don't stick.

Because it is the truck thread.....ever notice how one side of the axel sticks out more than the other?  I assume everything is still centered but.....koo...koo.....

Diocletian

« Reply #3639 on: May 16, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
I’d like to chime in like Steve did and rave about these new Ace’s. My 44’s are starting to groove, gettin my front kingpin nut nice and destroyed from slappies, and the stock bushings are heavenly. Pivot cups in perfect shape after all the abuse I’ve already given them. No loose kingpins, no worries. Pure truck paradise.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3640 on: May 16, 2018, 06:35:46 PM »
I’d like to chime in like Steve did and rave about these new Ace’s. My 44’s are starting to groove, gettin my front kingpin nut nice and destroyed from slappies, and the stock bushings are heavenly. Pivot cups in perfect shape after all the abuse I’ve already given them. No loose kingpins, no worries. Pure truck paradise.
interest is indeed piqued, what's the break in period like?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Diocletian

« Reply #3641 on: May 16, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
Break in period is non-existent besides grinding them down and gettin the groove going.

Also, in response to j soy, yeah I’ve had too many pairs of trucks of all different companies that had one side of the axle with longer threads. These new Aces are perfectly even on both sides, but they seem longer than before. Using one speed ring on the inside and out like normal and having some good space for the wheel to go back and forth, the axle sticks out a with a couple threads. Two rings on the inside will solve it though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:23:57 PM by Diocletian »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3642 on: May 16, 2018, 07:18:43 PM »
Ahaha j soy “koo...koo...” that episode of the simpsons when Bart has to be in special ed class and teaches the other kids that phrase

Idk guys, I’m only riding thunders some of the time so I don’t get bullied for really liking mini logos

Remember Johnny who said they were the best and he even rode them over theeves

Yeah guys, they’re fun for flat and stairs

Idk about medium to big vert and tranny but I think they’re fine in a mini ramp too
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3643 on: May 16, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »
I had thunders on my ramp board but rode them tight....I remember the carve being a bit more shallow but I think it'll be fine.  Grinding is nice too....

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3644 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:13 AM »
debating trucks atm, currently running 149 teams with 1/8th risers and still getting wheelbite with 54s although thats probably down to the kingpin on the back not being seated properly lol. def gonna have to replace em soon, dunno if i wanna go for another set of 149s and chuck my bushings in or hop to something different like indy 149s or ace 44s, kinda leaning towards the 44s.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3645 on: May 17, 2018, 04:24:29 AM »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3646 on: May 17, 2018, 05:03:47 AM »
debating trucks atm, currently running 149 teams with 1/8th risers and still getting wheelbite with 54s although thats probably down to the kingpin on the back not being seated properly lol. def gonna have to replace em soon, dunno if i wanna go for another set of 149s and chuck my bushings in or hop to something different like indy 149s or ace 44s, kinda leaning towards the 44s.

Had same set up, had same problem. Kept a crayon on me for colouring in the wheel wells I was carving into the board.
Tried to go from Thunders to Aces and I found it a big jump to handle the snap turn point, got pitched a couple of times (they are now on my pub board).
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3647 on: May 17, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
Whoa...for a minute I thought you said atm truck.....like atm made trucks....like a John Fallahee mini logo.....

Indy is the correct answer but if you have to get it out of ya.....ACE it is......

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3648 on: May 17, 2018, 06:43:52 AM »
i've tried indys out on my friends board and didnt particularly like them although that could also be to do with his board being much smaller than mine. are aces somewhere in the middle of the turn of indys and the responsiveness of thunder or is it something totally different?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3649 on: May 17, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »
i've tried indys out on my friends board and didnt particularly like them although that could also be to do with his board being much smaller than mine. are aces somewhere in the middle of the turn of indys and the responsiveness of thunder or is it something totally different?

Aces are built around/off older Indy geometry, Stage III era.

They turn faster and deeper than Indy and nowhere near how thunders feel. Theeve is the in between truck.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3650 on: May 17, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

NootNoot

« Reply #3651 on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO
Tensor mag low, neon UV colorway, doh doh extra hards only as top bushing, no washers, move up 2 mill to 56mm wheels. You will be ripping your local bowl belee dat. Don’t question just trust.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3652 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
my first proper setup had tensor los with 58mm wheels

i didnt get wheelbite either

curbsmash

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3653 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:36 AM »
my first proper setup had tensor los with 58mm wheels

i didnt get wheelbite either

ah, the days of weighing 45lbs

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3654 on: May 17, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
When I was a kid I went from Fury ball point turning to Tensors and had no idea what was so wrong with my board. Good tines

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3655 on: May 17, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »
When I was a kid I went from Fury ball point turning to Tensors and had no idea what was so wrong with my board. Good tines

When I was a kid I had a set of the first Fury's with a black hanger and blue baseplate and I loved those things.  I had no taste/preference at the time, but I swore by the ball point turning.  I would always carve tight circle pattern's as a way to demonstrate their gimmick to my friends, hahah.  Good times.

Diocletian

« Reply #3656 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
Reminds me of my self-employed carpenter buddy who’s 40 and skates an 8” baker with tensor lows, huge 58mm wheels and fat Journey’s style DVS or DC shoes with carpenter pants. He’s actually really good and his style on the board isn’t bad at all lol. 

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3657 on: May 17, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
I miss not caring what set up I had. As long as I had one

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3658 on: May 17, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Try ace classics

They’re very good trucks, I like how they feel

I skate mainly street, mostly flat and they feel very responsive in a way, popping and quick turning and carve but not slow and all that like an indy

Idk about wheel bite cause I ride my trucks medium tight but if you don’t like indy I’d highly suggest ace

Now I remember, ace classics remind me of how my indy 109 felt when I was messing around on my zinger, had me on a journey to find that 109 feel but a bigger truck and I’d say it’s ace

yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3659 on: May 18, 2018, 08:39:36 AM »
My assessment is thunders you get the first 15 degrees of your turn w. no effort.....that's the responsiveness....the rest of the turn is medium and then they bottom out.  An ACE the first few degrees are actually pretty stable like an Indy, but then they just go....like full on slalom turn.  So to me they are different trucks.  The thunder extends the wheelbase, the ACE shrinks it.  Thunders pop quick because of how they are set....ACE feel like a high truck.  Thunders you can get light.... ACEs always heavy. 

I'd go theeve....possibly minilogo.....