Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220922 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3660 on: May 18, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
Expand Quote
When I was a kid I went from Fury ball point turning to Tensors and had no idea what was so wrong with my board. Good tines
[close]

When I was a kid I had a set of the first Fury's with a black hanger and blue baseplate and I loved those things.  I had no taste/preference at the time, but I swore by the ball point turning.  I would always carve tight circle pattern's as a way to demonstrate their gimmick to my friends, hahah.  Good times.
I still have those fuckers laying around somewhere, black/black colorway  ;D
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3661 on: May 18, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
When I was a kid I went from Fury ball point turning to Tensors and had no idea what was so wrong with my board. Good tines
[close]

When I was a kid I had a set of the first Fury's with a black hanger and blue baseplate and I loved those things.  I had no taste/preference at the time, but I swore by the ball point turning.  I would always carve tight circle pattern's as a way to demonstrate their gimmick to my friends, hahah.  Good times.
I did the same fucking thing! "Can you guys U-turn in this drive-way? I can!"

Diocletian

« Reply #3662 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
My assessment is thunders you get the first 15 degrees of your turn w. no effort.....that's the responsiveness....the rest of the turn is medium and then they bottom out.  An ACE the first few degrees are actually pretty stable like an Indy, but then they just go....like full on slalom turn.  So to me they are different trucks.  The thunder extends the wheelbase, the ACE shrinks it.  Thunders pop quick because of how they are set....ACE feel like a high truck.  Thunders you can get light.... ACEs always heavy. 

I'd go theeve....possibly minilogo.....

This is the best description ever, regarding the difference between Thunder and Ace. I’d rather go with Indy than Thunder, the 15 degrees of quick turning is almost non-existent, at least Indy’s are stable and deep and don’t bottom out. But yeah, Ace is king. Quick and deep the whole way through. Haven’t tried Theeve, all mini logos in existence should be thrown into a volcano.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3663 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote
My assessment is thunders you get the first 15 degrees of your turn w. no effort.....that's the responsiveness....the rest of the turn is medium and then they bottom out.  An ACE the first few degrees are actually pretty stable like an Indy, but then they just go....like full on slalom turn.  So to me they are different trucks.  The thunder extends the wheelbase, the ACE shrinks it.  Thunders pop quick because of how they are set....ACE feel like a high truck.  Thunders you can get light.... ACEs always heavy. 

[close]

This is the best description ever, regarding the difference between Thunder and Ace. I’d rather go with Indy than Thunder, the 15 degrees of quick turning is almost non-existent, at least Indy’s are stable and deep and don’t bottom out. But yeah, Ace is king. Quick and deep the whole way through. Haven’t tried Theeve, all mini logos in existence should be thrown into a volcano.

mini logo trucks are legit and your just trying to be a cool guy who probably knocks on anything that isn’t hip, like blind and dark star

You probably ride your trucks mega loose and can’t even tre flip

You probably own an independent beer cozy cause your a indy lifer and rep it hard cause ride the best f!&% the rest right?

yes

Diocletian

« Reply #3664 on: May 18, 2018, 12:49:22 PM »
Woah man, was just kidding around. You can ride your mini logos all you want, it’s just skateboarding. I don’t like Indy trucks all that much, but I’m thinking about getting a tattoo of an Ace guy peeing on a mini logo truck. I also suck and can’t do any flips besides a heel and pop shuv and run my trucks pretty loose so I guess you got me there.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3665 on: May 18, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »

I agree with statement.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #3666 on: May 18, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
Wait.....so you'd go mini logo too? 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3667 on: May 18, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »
Wait.....so you'd go mini logo too?

I'm riding Theeve, but having skated ML I'd pick them over anything but the big three/theeve. The ML bushings are also excellent.

Theeve cured my madness, they're hollow/light, come in the 8.18 (for 8.25s), come with great bushings (even after they ditched bones and while they're too hard for me, they're still really nice), stable and carve great AND other than putting in soft bones, I can't fuck with them.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3668 on: May 18, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
Theeve army is growing... yesssssss

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3669 on: May 18, 2018, 02:12:26 PM »
If the axel doesn't slip on my thunders.....I got two pairs of tih's up for grabs....I'm giving it six months....

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #3670 on: May 18, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
Hey so what is the best way to remove kingpins from base plates?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3671 on: May 18, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
Currently riding Indy's and I dig them. Am I missing anything by not trying out some Ace's?
How stable are they at speed?

Not Local

« Reply #3672 on: May 18, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »
You talking hillbombing speed or just regular speed?

I skate my Aces pretty loose and have never had wobbles or sketchiness and I'm a big boy on 44s. I channel Andrew Allen in situations where it could get a little shaky.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #3673 on: May 18, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »
Hey so what is the best way to remove kingpins from base plates?
A hammer and a vice.

maggotspawn

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3674 on: May 18, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »

I skate my Aces pretty loose and have never had wobbles or sketchiness and I'm a big boy on 44s. I channel Andrew Allen in situations where it could get a little shaky.
Hill bombing, dropping into the deep end of a pool speed.

Mongoloid

« Reply #3675 on: May 18, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nearly everyone I skate with (much to my dismay) are transition skaters, and the majority skate Ace trucks.

They are made for response at fast speeds IMO, and I use them for street.

SJ

« Reply #3676 on: May 18, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Personally, I love Aces on everything except big, speedy bowls. For me they get too squirelly at higher speeds and don't feel that stable. Even if I tighten up the bushings they will still feel squirrely just dropping in. Big bowls I prefer Indys because they feel stable when going fast.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3677 on: May 18, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
When I'm skating loose or bombing sketchy hills, I find my aces weren't as stable as my indys or thunders at speed. But then again I'm not a fan of super super loose trucks and the difference is fairly marginal. I wouldn't consider it a reason to not get aces.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3678 on: May 19, 2018, 02:45:44 AM »
my friend spent 15 minutes telling me how new trucks are great, how i need to buy a new set etc then he got up to skate done a back 50 and his kingpin snapped.

so, theeve; csx vs tiax? had some thunder ti's a few years back and i royally fucked em, standard 149s still going strong so im leaning towards csx but does it really make a difference?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3679 on: May 19, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »
my friend spent 15 minutes telling me how new trucks are great, how i need to buy a new set etc then he got up to skate done a back 50 and his kingpin snapped.

so, theeve; csx vs tiax? had some thunder ti's a few years back and i royally fucked em, standard 149s still going strong so im leaning towards csx but does it really make a difference?

If you are just checking out trucks and don't care about weight, you get the CSX (Cheaper than a set of Krux)

CSK: Standard metals nothing hollow/solid kingpin - $
TIAX: Titanium axle nothing hollow/solid kingpin - $$
TiKing: Titanium axle, hollow kingpin (man I miss those ti pins, so light) - $$$
Tih: solid titanium hanger, solid kingpin - $$$$$$$$$$$

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3680 on: May 19, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »
yeah i dont really give a shit about weight tbh so it'll probably just be regular csxs, im guessing ill need the 6.50s? i skate around 8.5-8.75

also xen, did you used to post on skateboardcity?

maggotspawn

« Reply #3681 on: May 19, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Personally, I love Aces on everything except big, speedy bowls. For me they get too squirelly at higher speeds and don't feel that stable. Even if I tighten up the bushings they will still feel squirrely just dropping in. Big bowls I prefer Indys because they feel stable when going fast.
I have heard this before, that's why I asked. I guess I'll just stick with Indy's.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3682 on: May 19, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »
yeah i dont really give a shit about weight tbh so it'll probably just be regular csxs, im guessing ill need the 6.50s? i skate around 8.5-8.75

also xen, did you used to post on skateboardcity?

Yes, one and the same!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3683 on: May 19, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
nice, cheers for the info. still post on there occasionally you may (or most likely may not) remember me from the username donthatejustskate. spotted a few sbc heads on here haha.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3684 on: May 20, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
I've reconciled with an old nemesis of mine, Ventures. I've ridden Ventures before they were with DLX and they just didn't work for me, so I took another chance. In fact, I found them to suck badly. At that point, I rode wobbly loose Indy's (in fact, I've ridden loose Indy's for over 15 years)

I just got back from back to back injuries that kept me out of the game for almost 2 years. Had about 6 sessions last year before I put out my back. I gained about 15-20lbs and my balance\coordination just aren't what they were before. When I started skating again this year, Indy's just didn't work for me anymore, they felt really unstable on landings... couldn't land tricks for the life of me, felt they were way too unpredictable. Tried tightening them a tad, and tight Indy's absolutely suck. Tried Krux for my bigger setup, and I like them, but I'm always tweaking them and I hate having to carry a skate tool with me all the time. I've never liked Thunder, so I decided to give Ventures another try because a lot of my friends were getting Ventures.

Turns out loose Venture high 5.2's are absolutely perfect for what I was looking for. Surfy, yet stable. I've said before that Venture's didn't turn, but this time it's different, loose Venture hi's turn real good for my liking. First truck I've never really had to break in, they felt perfect from the start. Started landing tricks right away and they felt awesome on manuals. Can't complain.

So yeah, I guess I really like Ventures Hi's now.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:50:50 AM by TheBoognish »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3685 on: May 20, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
^did you try harder indy bushings ? did you even read all the madness of this thread ? gtfo ! :)

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #3686 on: May 20, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
^did you try harder indy bushings ? did you even read all the madness of this thread ? gtfo ! :)

I've read every single page since it started, and yes, I've tried many different bushings.

I've been riding pretty much nothing but Indy's for over 15 years, it just feels nice to change gear and try something new.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:51:30 AM by TheBoognish »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3687 on: May 21, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
Did I read the guy from cliche is doing a truck company?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3688 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »

Film? Haven't they been around forever?

Mongoloid

« Reply #3689 on: May 21, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »

Don’t get Rob started!