Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296901 times)

hey pickle, micky682 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3750 on: May 22, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
Art: the idea of less wheel bite is very appealing. I skated 55s last year and I almost couldnít tell the difference between them and Titanium 159s.

The new Ace bushings are loose-y goose-y!  The older bushings actually worked better for me on my second to last gen 44's.  I'm back to my Ti 149's.  I wouldn't say Ace's are free of wheel bite entirely and happily trade the squirelly turn and less wheel bite in for a more stable feeling turn, but hey, I'm 34 and my metabolism is slowly dying. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #3751 on: May 22, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
pretty sure he rides 60mm wheels without risers, so the tight trucks are understandable but still insane.

When we had a vert ramp my board had the tiniest amount of carve....negligible.....and guys would stand on my board and say....loose.  The thing was like 14' high so you generate a lot of speed... And it's skatelite....so you want zero carve....vert isn't tight...it's rock.

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3752 on: May 22, 2018, 08:33:28 PM »
Iíd recommend anyone curious about Ace to just go for it. Coming from Indy you will feel right away how much faster and deeper you can turn without having to mess with bushings or pivot cups. I know plenty of people ride stock Indyís and are fine with it, but just picture that, except a better performing truck. Thatís Ace. Simple as that.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #3753 on: May 22, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
Jamerson: youíre argument almost worked except by your logic all I would need is harder bushings. I got way too much wheelbite with thunders and would gladly pay an extra 3-5 bucks for harder bushings to atleast deal with less wheelbite and still be able to carve.

That being said, I am not selling/throwing away my 3 sets of indys Iím currently riding until Iím completely sold on aces. And even if I only kinda like aces, I still have all my trusty indys to fall back on. Iím not risking much, and I think the green looks dope and will look sick on the colony which is mostly greenish.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #3754 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Jamerson: youíre argument almost worked except by your logic all I would need is harder bushings. I got way too much wheelbite with thunders and would gladly pay an extra 3-5 bucks for harder bushings to atleast deal with less wheelbite and still be able to carve.

If you want less wheelbite-try theeve - they got the oval yoke tech.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #3755 on: May 23, 2018, 09:05:47 AM »
Feel the madness creeping back in. Kinda missing my Thunder 147 hi. As dumb as this is, preferred when they came with the yellow-clear bushings as opposed to blue.
Enjoying my Indys but the light weight yet high kickflips from thunder I am missing
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3756 on: May 23, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »
Feel the madness creeping back in. Kinda missing my Thunder 147 hi. As dumb as this is, preferred when they came with the yellow-clear bushings as opposed to blue.
Enjoying my Indys but the light weight yet high kickflips from thunder I am missing

I kept going back to thunder because I could pop higher with them.  I would setup two identical boards, one with Thunders and one with Indy or Ace and the Thunder pop was always effortless while the Indy/Ace pop was a struggle.  I finally learned this (for me) was due to the trucks effect on wheelbase. 

Once I moved up .25" in wheelbase for Indys or Ace it would give me the same pop as Thunders on the shorter WB

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3757 on: May 23, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »

I kept going back to thunder because I could pop higher with them.  I would setup two identical boards, one with Thunders and one with Indy or Ace and the Thunder pop was always effortless while the Indy/Ace pop was a struggle.  I finally learned this (for me) was due to the trucks effect on wheelbase. 

Once I moved up .25" in wheelbase for Indys or Ace it would give me the same pop as Thunders on the shorter WB

Interesting! I haven't messed around with wheelbase on my decks yet. It's weird because I've felt pretty good with these Indys minus some pop on ollies and kickflips and the occasional stank foot Ollie (rear foot 6 inches above ascending board - the worst). Flips are consistent but not near as high as they were with thunder. I also did like that I never adjusted my thunders and rode them as is and they were fine.

halfsleeper

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3758 on: May 23, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »
i've pretty much rode indys my whole life, last few years with bones bushings. was on a skate trip this weekend and realized every one of the homies had thunders, so i'm going to give the team lights a try. what should i expect? bushing swap necessary? am i doomed to a future of tinkering?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3759 on: May 23, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
bushing swap necessary?am i  doomed to a future of tinkering?

How do you ride? Loose or tight?  I've found leaving the stock bottom bushing and putting in low or softer top bushings gets thunders how loose I like them; I've not found a bottom bushing that is the exact height as the thunders [at the start, but they all mush down to the same height based on how tight you ride, then rebound takes over].

Nice, clear answer. I, too, use thunders on short WB boards for the slight extension and vice versa for boards with 14.5"WB.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:00:22 PM by Xen »

halfsleeper

« Reply #3760 on: May 23, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »
How do you ride? Loose or tight?  I've found leaving the stock bottom bushing and putting in low or softer top bushings gets thunders how loose I like them; I've not found a bottom bushing that is the exact height as the thunders [at the start, but they all mush down to the same height based on how tight you ride, then rebound takes over].

looser. indy 149 with bones mediums, no bottom washer, top flat washer, front truck about flush and a thread of the kingpin showing on the back truck (although the back still feels looser). currently 52mm f4 classics 101, but usually 53mm f4 conical 99. bones swiss if i can afford it, otherwise a homie gives me bronsons. i am plagued by wheelbite.

want to try out the f4 lock-ins, so i'll probably set those up on the new thunders and leave my current indys as is to A/B. should i plan on grabbing the soft white thunder bushings to fuck with?

palelight

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3761 on: May 23, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
i've pretty much rode indys my whole life, last few years with bones bushings. was on a skate trip this weekend and realized every one of the homies had thunders, so i'm going to give the team lights a try. what should i expect? bushing swap necessary? am i doomed to a future of tinkering?

Been riding the team lights on my main setup for a few months now. I got thrown off by Thunder's description on the website, they list the bushings as 99d. Not the case. They're the exact same as the clear red 90d bushings that come with the Thunder re-build kit. Tried a few different bushing setups (all Thunder), came back to the stock 90d bushings at stock tightness. Any other bushings (tried Indy and Bones, even DLX Venture bushings) severely screw with Thunder's quick twitchy turn.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3762 on: May 23, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
I just got the team hollows and I'm afraid to touch them.  The bushings feel like stock bushings ie. Mushy but the twitch but stable feeling is nice.....

palelight

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3763 on: May 23, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »
I just got the team hollows and I'm afraid to touch them.  The bushings feel like stock bushings ie. Mushy but the twitch but stable feeling is nice.....

For sure. Purely my own opinion, but I think Thunder's don't need to be tweaked from stock unless you want insane Gerwer-level looseness....in which case....maybe think about Ace.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #3764 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
Save your energy xen, I trust yours and robs judgement about as much as Iíd trust Chris Benoit for fatherly advice.

wow, that name... is familiar. my woodward camp counselor in the year 1998 or so. are we on the same page?

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3765 on: May 23, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Save your energy xen, I trust yours and robs judgement about as much as Iíd trust Chris Benoit for fatherly advice.

wow, that name... is familiar. my woodward camp counselor in the year 1998 or so. are we on the same page?
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/us/27wrestler.html

halfsleeper

« Reply #3766 on: May 24, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
pushed around for 20 minutes, couple grinds, manuals, flat ground shit. i love these thunder team lights. skating feels way more stable and controllable, pop is a little different but got used to it fine (i think they're like 1mm shorter than my indys). haven't done anything to them yet and probably won't for a while, the clear red bushings (90d?) seem perfect for me. curious how they'll wear in, though.

NootNoot

« Reply #3767 on: May 24, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
Just got the new atv tensor maglights. They are the same height as my indys, they seem way beefier than the old mags even though they are magnesium alloy they still arenít very much lighter than thunder team titaniumís. They have a bottom washer now instead of the bushing resting on the baseplate and the bushings are similar to thunders shape but seem good quality. The baseplate is different I think they beefed up the hanger and took some material away on the baseplate. Pretty hyped they seem really nice. They also have a new warranty similar to indys. The engineer on instagram when I asked him said he designed them to turn similar to indys, progressive as you lean which helps reduce wheelbite compared to the old ones. They are 55mm tall. These are 151s. Also the customer service is pretty on point they fucked up my shipping and immediately emailed me apologized and offered me a 30 percent discount code on my next order so if anyone is interested in trying these dm me and Iíll give you the code. I donít really plan on ordering anything all that soon.
windows screen capture

host images
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:31:54 PM by NootNoot »

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3768 on: May 24, 2018, 05:29:52 PM »
Damn those actually donít look too bad other than the Walmart-truck looking bushing seat. I wonder if tensor could successful rebrand themselves as a legitimate truck option. Those trucks could be Godís gift to skateboarding and no one would care because of Tensors image as a ďkidĒ brand

NootNoot

« Reply #3769 on: May 24, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Damn those actually donít look too bad other than the Walmart-truck looking bushing seat. I wonder if tensor could successful rebrand themselves as a legitimate truck option. Those trucks could be Godís gift to skateboarding and no one would care because of Tensors image as a ďkidĒ brand
I doubt it because I mean they have Daewon, Rodney and zered Bassett legitimately skating them, as well as redesigning them into amazing trucks and still nobody cares and only associates tensor as lows with slider plates that donít turn. But itís cool if they are good enough for zered they will do just fine for me and itís ncie to try something new. As much as I joke I would really legitimately be interested to hear Robs take on them and I have this discount code Iím willing to buy you a set rob and ship them to you for a review. Let me know.

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3770 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Nice work Noot.

I was going to buy a pair but I was waiting for Rob to buy and then tell us about them.

It was really great timing for these Tensorís to drop a banner add on SLAP since only Nazi sympathizers ride Indy.

I noticed that they only make the 151 in the mag light for $60 which is silly because you can get same size Indyís for $40. You would think they would have wider trucks in standard aluminum. Not sure guys skating 8.5 decks need magnesium trucks, but maybe loosing some weight will help flip these larger boards.

Make sure to report back on your level of enjoyment with these trucks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3771 on: May 24, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
I remember back in the day gullwing made magnesiums....they grinded like crazy but grinded through aka soft....I think I heard on nine club Roger saying the tensors grind real well....let us know how they go....

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3772 on: May 24, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »
Those Tensors got me tempted. They look really good.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3773 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:50 AM »
Of all the trucks that I've had the Tensor's seemed like the highest quality.  casting, threads, precision axles, etc were all perfect on them.  Those new All Terrarian's look great too

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3774 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »
Just got the new atv tensor maglights. They are the same height as my indys, they seem way beefier than the old mags even though they are magnesium alloy they still arenít very much lighter than thunder team titaniumís. They have a bottom washer now instead of the bushing resting on the baseplate and the bushings are similar to thunders shape but seem good quality. The baseplate is different I think they beefed up the hanger and took some material away on the baseplate. Pretty hyped they seem really nice. They also have a new warranty similar to indys. The engineer on instagram when I asked him said he designed them to turn similar to indys, progressive as you lean which helps reduce wheelbite compared to the old ones. They are 55mm tall. These are 151s. Also the customer service is pretty on point they fucked up my shipping and immediately emailed me apologized and offered me a 30 percent discount code on my next order so if anyone is interested in trying these dm me and Iíll give you the code. I donít really plan on ordering anything all that soon.
windows screen capture

host images

Those actually look awesome

ultrabra

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3775 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:22 AM »
I remember back in the day gullwing made magnesiums....they grinded like crazy but grinded through aka soft....I think I heard on nine club Roger saying the tensors grind real well....let us know how they go....

Best grinding trucks that i have ever had were tensor magnesium`s.
But they do grind down much faster.

ultrabra

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3776 on: May 25, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »
One other thing about them tensors. 5.25 magnesium hollow, Daewon pro model.

They were so crazy light that i had to choose the lightest possible deck for them.
If the deck was really significally heavier, the flips wouldn`t spin normally. The skateboard would land easyer upside down. Wich i guess is logical.

I guess that is why Dwindle has them Uber light decks.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3777 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »

Thunders with bones medium are an heaven...I agree an the stock ones.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #3778 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »

That being said, I am not selling/throwing away my 3 sets of indys Iím currently riding until Iím completely sold on aces. And even if I only kinda like aces, I still have all my trusty indys to fall back on. Iím not risking much, and I think the green looks dope and will look sick on the colony which is mostly greenish.

nah, go all in!  get rid of those indys!  ...and trade em to me for a bunch of wheels
hardly art, hardly starving

Smartass

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3779 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
Damn those new tensors are looking good. My buddy has a set of the regular mag lights on one of his setup, and loves it for grinding crusty stuff. The only issue he had was that they wouldn't turn until he swapped the bushings with some Bones mediums.

Might pick up a set seeing as these are looking pretty good, and if they turn as good indy and shit, I'll pick up a pair.