Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220627 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3720 on: May 23, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
bushing swap necessary?am i  doomed to a future of tinkering?

How do you ride? Loose or tight?  I've found leaving the stock bottom bushing and putting in low or softer top bushings gets thunders how loose I like them; I've not found a bottom bushing that is the exact height as the thunders [at the start, but they all mush down to the same height based on how tight you ride, then rebound takes over].

Expand Quote
Feel the madness creeping back in. Kinda missing my Thunder 147 hi. As dumb as this is, preferred when they came with the yellow-clear bushings as opposed to blue.
Enjoying my Indys but the light weight yet high kickflips from thunder I am missing
[close]

I kept going back to thunder because I could pop higher with them.  I would setup two identical boards, one with Thunders and one with Indy or Ace and the Thunder pop was always effortless while the Indy/Ace pop was a struggle.  I finally learned this (for me) was due to the trucks effect on wheelbase. 

Once I moved up .25" in wheelbase for Indys or Ace it would give me the same pop as Thunders on the shorter WB

Nice, clear answer. I, too, use thunders on short WB boards for the slight extension and vice versa for boards with 14.5"WB.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:00:22 PM by Xen »

halfsleeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
« Reply #3721 on: May 23, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »
How do you ride? Loose or tight?  I've found leaving the stock bottom bushing and putting in low or softer top bushings gets thunders how loose I like them; I've not found a bottom bushing that is the exact height as the thunders [at the start, but they all mush down to the same height based on how tight you ride, then rebound takes over].

looser. indy 149 with bones mediums, no bottom washer, top flat washer, front truck about flush and a thread of the kingpin showing on the back truck (although the back still feels looser). currently 52mm f4 classics 101, but usually 53mm f4 conical 99. bones swiss if i can afford it, otherwise a homie gives me bronsons. i am plagued by wheelbite.

want to try out the f4 lock-ins, so i'll probably set those up on the new thunders and leave my current indys as is to A/B. should i plan on grabbing the soft white thunder bushings to fuck with?
tiny hat, big heart.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3722 on: May 23, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »
i've pretty much rode indys my whole life, last few years with bones bushings. was on a skate trip this weekend and realized every one of the homies had thunders, so i'm going to give the team lights a try. what should i expect? bushing swap necessary? am i doomed to a future of tinkering?

Been riding the team lights on my main setup for a few months now. I got thrown off by Thunder's description on the website, they list the bushings as 99d. Not the case. They're the exact same as the clear red 90d bushings that come with the Thunder re-build kit. Tried a few different bushing setups (all Thunder), came back to the stock 90d bushings at stock tightness. Any other bushings (tried Indy and Bones, even DLX Venture bushings) severely screw with Thunder's quick twitchy turn.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3723 on: May 23, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
I just got the team hollows and I'm afraid to touch them.  The bushings feel like stock bushings ie. Mushy but the twitch but stable feeling is nice.....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3724 on: May 23, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »
I just got the team hollows and I'm afraid to touch them.  The bushings feel like stock bushings ie. Mushy but the twitch but stable feeling is nice.....

For sure. Purely my own opinion, but I think Thunder's don't need to be tweaked from stock unless you want insane Gerwer-level looseness....in which case....maybe think about Ace.

ungzilla

« Reply #3725 on: May 23, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
Save your energy xen, I trust yours and robs judgement about as much as I’d trust Chris Benoit for fatherly advice.

wow, that name... is familiar. my woodward camp counselor in the year 1998 or so. are we on the same page?

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3726 on: May 23, 2018, 06:51:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Save your energy xen, I trust yours and robs judgement about as much as I’d trust Chris Benoit for fatherly advice.
[close]

wow, that name... is familiar. my woodward camp counselor in the year 1998 or so. are we on the same page?
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/us/27wrestler.html

halfsleeper

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3727 on: May 24, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
pushed around for 20 minutes, couple grinds, manuals, flat ground shit. i love these thunder team lights. skating feels way more stable and controllable, pop is a little different but got used to it fine (i think they're like 1mm shorter than my indys). haven't done anything to them yet and probably won't for a while, the clear red bushings (90d?) seem perfect for me. curious how they'll wear in, though.
tiny hat, big heart.

NootNoot

« Reply #3728 on: May 24, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
Just got the new atv tensor maglights. They are the same height as my indys, they seem way beefier than the old mags even though they are magnesium alloy they still aren’t very much lighter than thunder team titanium’s. They have a bottom washer now instead of the bushing resting on the baseplate and the bushings are similar to thunders shape but seem good quality. The baseplate is different I think they beefed up the hanger and took some material away on the baseplate. Pretty hyped they seem really nice. They also have a new warranty similar to indys. The engineer on instagram when I asked him said he designed them to turn similar to indys, progressive as you lean which helps reduce wheelbite compared to the old ones. They are 55mm tall. These are 151s. Also the customer service is pretty on point they fucked up my shipping and immediately emailed me apologized and offered me a 30 percent discount code on my next order so if anyone is interested in trying these dm me and I’ll give you the code. I don’t really plan on ordering anything all that soon.
windows screen capture

host images
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:31:54 PM by NootNoot »

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3729 on: May 24, 2018, 05:29:52 PM »
Damn those actually don’t look too bad other than the Walmart-truck looking bushing seat. I wonder if tensor could successful rebrand themselves as a legitimate truck option. Those trucks could be God’s gift to skateboarding and no one would care because of Tensors image as a “kid” brand

NootNoot

« Reply #3730 on: May 24, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Damn those actually don’t look too bad other than the Walmart-truck looking bushing seat. I wonder if tensor could successful rebrand themselves as a legitimate truck option. Those trucks could be God’s gift to skateboarding and no one would care because of Tensors image as a “kid” brand
I doubt it because I mean they have Daewon, Rodney and zered Bassett legitimately skating them, as well as redesigning them into amazing trucks and still nobody cares and only associates tensor as lows with slider plates that don’t turn. But it’s cool if they are good enough for zered they will do just fine for me and it’s ncie to try something new. As much as I joke I would really legitimately be interested to hear Robs take on them and I have this discount code I’m willing to buy you a set rob and ship them to you for a review. Let me know.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3731 on: May 24, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Nice work Noot.

I was going to buy a pair but I was waiting for Rob to buy and then tell us about them.

It was really great timing for these Tensor’s to drop a banner add on SLAP since only Nazi sympathizers ride Indy.

I noticed that they only make the 151 in the mag light for $60 which is silly because you can get same size Indy’s for $40. You would think they would have wider trucks in standard aluminum. Not sure guys skating 8.5 decks need magnesium trucks, but maybe loosing some weight will help flip these larger boards.

Make sure to report back on your level of enjoyment with these trucks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3732 on: May 24, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
I remember back in the day gullwing made magnesiums....they grinded like crazy but grinded through aka soft....I think I heard on nine club Roger saying the tensors grind real well....let us know how they go....

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3733 on: May 24, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »
Those Tensors got me tempted. They look really good.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3734 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:50 AM »
Of all the trucks that I've had the Tensor's seemed like the highest quality.  casting, threads, precision axles, etc were all perfect on them.  Those new All Terrarian's look great too

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3735 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »
Just got the new atv tensor maglights. They are the same height as my indys, they seem way beefier than the old mags even though they are magnesium alloy they still aren’t very much lighter than thunder team titanium’s. They have a bottom washer now instead of the bushing resting on the baseplate and the bushings are similar to thunders shape but seem good quality. The baseplate is different I think they beefed up the hanger and took some material away on the baseplate. Pretty hyped they seem really nice. They also have a new warranty similar to indys. The engineer on instagram when I asked him said he designed them to turn similar to indys, progressive as you lean which helps reduce wheelbite compared to the old ones. They are 55mm tall. These are 151s. Also the customer service is pretty on point they fucked up my shipping and immediately emailed me apologized and offered me a 30 percent discount code on my next order so if anyone is interested in trying these dm me and I’ll give you the code. I don’t really plan on ordering anything all that soon.
windows screen capture

host images

Those actually look awesome

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3736 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:22 AM »
I remember back in the day gullwing made magnesiums....they grinded like crazy but grinded through aka soft....I think I heard on nine club Roger saying the tensors grind real well....let us know how they go....

Best grinding trucks that i have ever had were tensor magnesium`s.
But they do grind down much faster.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3737 on: May 25, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »
One other thing about them tensors. 5.25 magnesium hollow, Daewon pro model.

They were so crazy light that i had to choose the lightest possible deck for them.
If the deck was really significally heavier, the flips wouldn`t spin normally. The skateboard would land easyer upside down. Wich i guess is logical.

I guess that is why Dwindle has them Uber light decks.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3738 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »

Thunders with bones medium are an heaven...I agree an the stock ones.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3739 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:43 AM »
Jamerson: you’re argument almost worked except by your logic all I would need is harder bushings. I got way too much wheelbite with thunders and would gladly pay an extra 3-5 bucks for harder bushings to atleast deal with less wheelbite and still be able to carve.

That being said, I am not selling/throwing away my 3 sets of indys I’m currently riding until I’m completely sold on aces. And even if I only kinda like aces, I still have all my trusty indys to fall back on. I’m not risking much, and I think the green looks dope and will look sick on the colony which is mostly greenish.

nah, go all in!  get rid of those indys!  ...and trade em to me for a bunch of wheels
hardly art, hardly starving

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3740 on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
Damn those new tensors are looking good. My buddy has a set of the regular mag lights on one of his setup, and loves it for grinding crusty stuff. The only issue he had was that they wouldn't turn until he swapped the bushings with some Bones mediums.

Might pick up a set seeing as these are looking pretty good, and if they turn as good indy and shit, I'll pick up a pair.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3741 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
Damn those new tensors are looking good. My buddy has a set of the regular mag lights on one of his setup, and loves it for grinding crusty stuff. The only issue he had was that they wouldn't turn until he swapped the bushings with some Bones mediums.

Might pick up a set seeing as these are looking pretty good, and if they turn as good indy and shit, I'll pick up a pair.

so youll pick up a pair and if they turn as good as indy youll pick up a pair ?

Smartass

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3742 on: May 25, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

so youll pick up a pair and if they turn as good as indy youll pick up a pair ?

Yes this exactly.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3743 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
1guy2tensors

ungzilla

« Reply #3744 on: May 25, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
idk about you guys but i always buy something to try it out before i buy it

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3745 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
idk about you guys but i always buy something to try it out before i buy it
I like your style  8)

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3746 on: May 25, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »
Could someone who has skated the Destructo D2 mid please tell me how high they are? Thank guys!

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3747 on: May 25, 2018, 06:35:51 PM »
like how high they were skating them?

Smartass

« Reply #3748 on: May 25, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »
like how high they were skating them?

Lets put it this way... Ben Franklin made an appearance.

NootNoot

« Reply #3749 on: May 25, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
Nice work Noot.

I was going to buy a pair but I was waiting for Rob to buy and then tell us about them.

It was really great timing for these Tensor’s to drop a banner add on SLAP since only Nazi sympathizers ride Indy.

I noticed that they only make the 151 in the mag light for $60 which is silly because you can get same size Indy’s for $40. You would think they would have wider trucks in standard aluminum. Not sure guys skating 8.5 decks need magnesium trucks, but maybe loosing some weight will help flip these larger boards.

Make sure to report back on your level of enjoyment with these trucks.
Some notes I think they do make the aluminum in 151 they are just out of stock. If not that’s a strange thing cause you are right bigger boards would more likely want aluminum trucks. Also anyone ordering these the size chart online is for the old ones, the 5.75 is a true 149 8.5 axle and not 8.375, the 6.0 is 151. I asked about the other sizes if they are different and haven’t heard back yet.