Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220979 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3750 on: May 25, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »
I wonder of they sized up the 5.5 to a tru 8.25 rather than 8.125 (odd ass size, just like the Theeve 8.18")

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3751 on: May 26, 2018, 12:03:05 AM »
Damn, I really am tempted to venture off and try these other brands after the Jason Jesse thing but for a fact know that I'll end up with a new complete haha
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3752 on: May 26, 2018, 04:21:58 AM »
I'm actually down to one deck, but 3 sets of trucks nearby. My wife has started to hate my madness. She knows me as Indys only until a few years ago. "Just ride Indys, you know you'll go back anyway". She can't even Ollie so I don't take the bait serious. About to put the Thunder 147 his back on. The Indys are totally fine... I feel like I haven't given thunder a full real chance though. There's nothing but curbs near my house so I haven't really done what I'd consider real grinds with them yet. I really do like the weight, quick turn response, quick pop response, and the weigh flip tricks feel on thunder though. All with stock bushings

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3753 on: May 26, 2018, 04:30:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn those actually don’t look too bad other than the Walmart-truck looking bushing seat. I wonder if tensor could successful rebrand themselves as a legitimate truck option. Those trucks could be God’s gift to skateboarding and no one would care because of Tensors image as a “kid” brand
[close]
I doubt it because I mean they have Daewon, Rodney and zered Bassett legitimately skating them, as well as redesigning them into amazing trucks and still nobody cares and only associates tensor as lows with slider plates that don’t turn. But it’s cool if they are good enough for zered they will do just fine for me and it’s ncie to try something new. As much as I joke I would really legitimately be interested to hear Robs take on them and I have this discount code I’m willing to buy you a set rob and ship them to you for a review. Let me know.

Haha would you really?

I talked to the designer and got a prototype some months ago, They looked about the same as the regs but taller and a bit better turning

The prototypes I had still ran the old baseplate they used for the regs too, it was the reg hangar but hollow and magnesium and 55mm tall rather than 52mm like the usual, in all honesty I tried them and the turn was basic.

Nothing special feeling but thy did turn and respond like an okay truck should but they really lacked something to stick out in turning

They performed okay, they weren’t bad but they weren’t that good where you should totally try or buy a pair. If you guys want pics let me know, I let my buddy who skates better than me skate them since he likes taller trucks and he said the same, they were basic feeling. They did grind good though thanks to the light weight soft magnesium

I’m really hooked on my mini logos at the moment like johnny was, the 8.38 are so stable but turn nice and respond so well. Mininlogos really are nice trucks, everyone has their preferences and all I can say to you guys is, if you like street skating and want something like a thunder but smoother deeper turning not just fast, and great response, mini logo is a good try

I recommend though if you skate 8 and up get the 8.38, the stability really brings out more of the trucks features

They remind me a lot of the old lower thunder 149er but lighter too, almost forgot to mention that. They’re really light for a solid cast truck even at 8.38, doesn’t take much effort to pop and flip around

And I keep them stock. The bones work okay too but they’re more stable with the stock bushings which I’m sure are just a barrel non core bones medium
yes

NootNoot

« Reply #3754 on: May 26, 2018, 05:20:33 AM »
If it was reg hangar and reg baseplate it wasn’t the new ones as they are now. The old ones had a baseplate where the bushings sat directly on it like a built in washer, this one is different angles and a bottom washer for better turning. The old ones were hollow and magnesium just like these but these are different the hanger is way different and these are a bit heavier than the regs were so I doubt what you tried is like these. I’m taking some comparison photos between these and the regs now there’s alot noticeably different. My first impressions is they don’t turn like the regs which were kind of harsh precision turn that bottomed out quick with a fast rebound. These feel comfortable and surfy forsure, deeper and they feel less like uncontrollable air when popping, beefier and more solid. Softer bushings too. But time will tell haven’t grinded them yet. Is it ericsentianen the designer you are talking about?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:34:26 AM by NootNoot »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3755 on: May 26, 2018, 10:02:01 AM »
If it was reg hangar and reg baseplate it wasn’t the new ones as they are now. The old ones had a baseplate where the bushings sat directly on it like a built in washer, this one is different angles and a bottom washer for better turning. The old ones were hollow and magnesium just like these but these are different the hanger is way different and these are a bit heavier than the regs were so I doubt what you tried is like these. I’m taking some comparison photos between these and the regs now there’s alot noticeably different. My first impressions is they don’t turn like the regs which were kind of harsh precision turn that bottomed out quick with a fast rebound. These feel comfortable and surfy forsure, deeper and they feel less like uncontrollable air when popping, beefier and more solid. Softer bushings too. But time will tell haven’t grinded them yet. Is it ericsentianen the designer you are talking about?

Yeah I saw the pic of the prototype baseplate he had up and asked and he said he’s let me try a prototype hangar

Yeah the prototype compared to the final the only thing I got from similarity was probably the height and an experimental geometry that wasn’t the final

The final result though everything except height is different compared to the ones he sent me

I wish dlx would just re-release the classic 149er but as the 149er low and shave some excess weight and I would straye from mini logo for them 100%

I had them but they were kinda heavy but had such solid feel and control
yes

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3756 on: May 26, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »

These kinda look like fingerboard trucks

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3757 on: May 26, 2018, 10:14:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I saw the pic of the prototype baseplate he had up and asked and he said he’s let me try a prototype hangar

Yeah the prototype compared to the final the only thing I got from similarity was probably the height and an experimental geometry that wasn’t the final

The final result though everything except height is different compared to the ones he sent me

I wish dlx would just re-release the classic 149er but as the 149er low and shave some excess weight and I would straye from mini logo for them 100%

You'll stray by next week =)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3758 on: May 26, 2018, 10:25:34 AM »

These kinda look like fingerboard trucks

Haha they do, maybe inspired by finger boarding too cause you know, sk8 or die

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You'll stray by next week =)

Haha maybe...I keep switching around and all the top brands feel nice but performance output i end up most consistent with the ML

I love the way my ace classics feel and look but they oddly do at times of speed get wobbly(i broke in the stock bushings too and they’re great)

Thunders are good but I’m scared to say ML are KINDA better in response and control and turning, maybe not as fast but deeper

Indy I just Love love aesthetically and that smooth turning feel but response is always only if I’m feeling it, on an off day they’re ehhhh. Start to feel heavy and don’t always pop how I want but man that smooth fun turn

Idk, maybe cause of the cool factor I’ll end up back on the thunder 148 but I’ll let you guys know like I always do hahaha

yes

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3759 on: May 26, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
I'm actually down to one deck, but 3 sets of trucks nearby. My wife has started to hate my madness. She knows me as Indys only until a few years ago. "Just ride Indys, you know you'll go back anyway". She can't even Ollie so I don't take the bait serious. About to put the Thunder 147 his back on. The Indys are totally fine... I feel like I haven't given thunder a full real chance though. There's nothing but curbs near my house so I haven't really done what I'd consider real grinds with them yet. I really do like the weight, quick turn response, quick pop response, and the weigh flip tricks feel on thunder though. All with stock bushings

How many purses does she have? Also, women don’t understand truck madness. Hell, I don’t get it but I find it entertaining.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3760 on: May 26, 2018, 11:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Nice work Noot.

I was going to buy a pair but I was waiting for Rob to buy and then tell us about them.

It was really great timing for these Tensor’s to drop a banner add on SLAP since only Nazi sympathizers ride Indy.

I noticed that they only make the 151 in the mag light for $60 which is silly because you can get same size Indy’s for $40. You would think they would have wider trucks in standard aluminum. Not sure guys skating 8.5 decks need magnesium trucks, but maybe loosing some weight will help flip these larger boards.

Make sure to report back on your level of enjoyment with these trucks.
[close]
Some notes I think they do make the aluminum in 151 they are just out of stock. If not that’s a strange thing cause you are right bigger boards would more likely want aluminum trucks. Also anyone ordering these the size chart online is for the old ones, the 5.75 is a true 149 8.5 axle and not 8.375, the 6.0 is 151. I asked about the other sizes if they are different and haven’t heard back yet.

5.75 in raw aluminum is in stock for $40 plus $7 shipping US. Looking at the team it seems like only GANG will be skating them, but maybe they can pick up some under appreciated riders from other teams to showcase the All terrain trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3761 on: May 26, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice work Noot.

I was going to buy a pair but I was waiting for Rob to buy and then tell us about them.

It was really great timing for these Tensor’s to drop a banner add on SLAP since only Nazi sympathizers ride Indy.

I noticed that they only make the 151 in the mag light for $60 which is silly because you can get same size Indy’s for $40. You would think they would have wider trucks in standard aluminum. Not sure guys skating 8.5 decks need magnesium trucks, but maybe loosing some weight will help flip these larger boards.

[close]
Some notes I think they do make the aluminum in 151 they are just out of stock. If not that’s a strange thing cause you are right bigger boards would more likely want aluminum trucks. Also anyone ordering these the size chart online is for the old ones, the 5.75 is a true 149 8.5 axle and not 8.375, the 6.0 is 151. I asked about the other sizes if they are different and haven’t heard back yet.
[close]

5.75 in raw aluminum is in stock for $40 plus $7 shipping US. Looking at the team it seems like only GANG will be skating them, but maybe they can pick up some under appreciated riders from other teams to showcase the All terrain trucks.

I don't think anyone could ever topple the big 3 due to their legacy, especially not Tensor; Tensor's image and those of Theeve and ACE are already established. Mini Logos could be the best fucking truck in the world and no one would ever ride them due to branding/established brand awareness.

Same reason you won't buy Straye over Vans, even if they're cheaper and do the job.

NootNoot

« Reply #3762 on: May 26, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You interested in trying them? I would need to know your address for shipping but I’m serious I’d get some for you to try. I’m gonna try mini logo next forsure. Even if they are ugly a/f
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:48:29 PM by NootNoot »

NootNoot

« Reply #3763 on: May 26, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nice work Noot.

[close]
[close]

Zered Bassett skates them I don’t think GANG skates them he looks to always be on thunders
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:52:55 PM by NootNoot »

NootNoot

« Reply #3764 on: May 26, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
I wonder of they sized up the 5.5 to a tru 8.25 rather than 8.125 (odd ass size, just like the Theeve 8.18")
He just responded that is indeed the case. 5.5 is now an 8.25 truck. I don’t think tensor will ever break into the big three but I have a soft spot for tensors because they were my first real trucks and growing up I used to think light and low and magnesium technology was cool for some dumb reason. Was waiting for a reason to skate them again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:56:25 PM by NootNoot »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3765 on: May 26, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
Nothing should topple the big three because there is a range of variety...they have spent years of marketing and building their brands....and it's just trucks.  Your average skater doesn't give a shit.

Fangs wife is the only one with any sense around here....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3766 on: May 26, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You interested in trying them? I would need to know your address for shipping but I’m serious I’d get some for you to try. I’m gonna try mini logo next forsure. Even if they are ugly a/f

Haha yeah I’m down if your really up for it

Should I dm you?
yes

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3767 on: May 26, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
I switched back to Thunders about a month ago and I love them...especially with the Bones bushing in there. Good turn, good weight, and they grind nicely.

I have a pair of ACE 44's on a Leo Romero deck right next to me but I haven't really tried them yet.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #3768 on: May 26, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Jamerson: you’re argument almost worked except by your logic all I would need is harder bushings. I got way too much wheelbite with thunders and would gladly pay an extra 3-5 bucks for harder bushings to atleast deal with less wheelbite and still be able to carve.

That being said, I am not selling/throwing away my 3 sets of indys I’m currently riding until I’m completely sold on aces. And even if I only kinda like aces, I still have all my trusty indys to fall back on. I’m not risking much, and I think the green looks dope and will look sick on the colony which is mostly greenish.
[close]

nah, go all in!  get rid of those indys!  ...and trade em to me for a bunch of wheels
Lol time will tell. And Nootnoot you should think about who you are sending the trucks to, sure rob has tried a lot of trucks recently. But he also has flip flopped the most. I would say let someone less indecisive try them, or only send them to rob with the stipulation of trying them for a couple weeks then sending them to another pal. So we can atleast get some unbiased feedback. And yes I will gladly take them over rob if you offered them to me.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #3769 on: May 26, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
thunder lights high or thunder hollow lights high for an all around truck?

NootNoot

« Reply #3770 on: May 26, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
Yeo fellow noots I’m drunk time to do this I’d be down for like a slap sharesie I’ll do two sets one to rob one to Tngar then you try and pass them on after a few weeks unless you love them. Hopefully we can do two different sizes rob I assume 8.0? And what about you tangar? Should I do. Both mags or mag and aluminum? Dm me your size preference and shipping info GANG!

NootNoot

« Reply #3771 on: May 26, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Haha yeah I’m down if your really up for it

Should I dm you?
Yes slide into my dms we will change the world of skating one set of tensors at a time Mullen will be stoked maybe I will send the pink GANG colorway UV changing or is that for Weebz only this is time sensitive e I only make bad monetary choices when drunk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:30:51 PM by NootNoot »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3772 on: May 27, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »

All around? Team Hollows.

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #3773 on: May 27, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All around? Team Hollows.

hell yeah. thanks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3774 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
I got the 148's team hollows.....super nice truck...haven't had much of a wheel bite problem, love how they turn...8.25 is a little more stable.  I'd recommend them.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #3775 on: May 27, 2018, 03:43:04 PM »
I've been trying to get old kingpins out of a pair of Indy baseplates for the last few days. Hammer, c-clip, I've tried it all. Anything I can do to help loosen them up to remove the kingpin? Should I heat them or warm them up in some way?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3776 on: May 27, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
I've been trying to get old kingpins out of a pair of Indy baseplates for the last few days. Hammer, c-clip, I've tried it all. Anything I can do to help loosen them up to remove the kingpin? Should I heat them or warm them up in some way?

Cast or Forged?  If forged, good luck. If cast, take them to a parking block with a hole on the top (where they slide it onto the rebar) use a cloth, wrap the plate up, place the pin over the hole and whackit with a ten ton hammer, son.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3777 on: May 27, 2018, 05:22:07 PM »
If you do enough slappys it will knock your king pin loose. All my front trucks are like that.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3778 on: May 27, 2018, 11:37:02 PM »

I use a product by bel-ray oils called "6 in 1" shits magic. Also get a heat gun or hair dryer and heat it up really good. You can apply a serious amount of heat without and troubles other than burning yourself. Probably best to hold the baseplate in a vice.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3779 on: May 28, 2018, 01:14:43 AM »
put the baseplates without pivot cups in oven 10 min full heat, magic trick