Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220543 times)

Italianshredder96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3780 on: May 28, 2018, 01:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
thunder lights high or thunder hollow lights high for an all around truck?
[close]

All around? Team Hollows.
[close]

hell yeah. thanks.

148 team hollow with bones medium = heavenly

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3781 on: May 28, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »
when you guys switch up trucks, do you also switch up deck wheelbses so the final wb is always the same? for example, if I usually skated Indys on a 14.25 wb, for thunders I would go to a deck with maybe a 14 wb since thunders have a slightly longer wb than Indys.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3782 on: May 28, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
when you guys switch up trucks, do you also switch up deck wheelbses so the final wb is always the same? for example, if I usually skated Indys on a 14.25 wb, for thunders I would go to a deck with maybe a 14 wb since thunders have a slightly longer wb than Indys.
i think you mean indys have a longer wb than thunder. youd probably want 14.5 with thunder and 14.25 with indy

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3783 on: May 28, 2018, 01:45:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i think you mean indys have a longer wb than thunder. youd probably want 14.5 with thunder and 14.25 with indy

Thunders definitely have a longer wb than Indys

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3784 on: May 28, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thunders definitely have a longer wb than Indys

This. Though it's a couple years outdated this guy's chart is still fairly accurate.

Short to long,

Ace/Theeve > Indy > Thunder > Venture

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fq4An-DEfqc/T8URoZ_4GFI/AAAAAAAAAs8/MCWo3sQAtcg/s1600/149+axle+placement.jpg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:00:14 PM by palelight »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3785 on: May 29, 2018, 06:34:54 AM »
I do think wheelbases are a big deal but axle placement also affects the fulcrum point of your tail/nose which likely plays a bigger part in the feel of your setup. Even if you change decks to equalize your wheelbase, it's still going to feel way different.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3786 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:39 AM »
Was wondering how an 8.25 deck with thunder 147s rides? Lot of the boards I see and like are that width but I just bought 147s.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #3787 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
how can i tell if the bones bushings i have are no good? i have an old set of them that i want to put in my 148s but i'm not sure if they are bad
even the steven

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3788 on: May 30, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
Was wondering how an 8.25 deck with thunder 147s rides? Lot of the boards I see and like are that width but I just bought 147s.

It will skate just fine; you could always drop down to 8.18" if you had access.

I can't skate 8s anymore decks or trucks; 8.18 min (and it has to be a full shape to boot).

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #3789 on: May 30, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
put the baseplates without pivot cups in oven 10 min full heat, magic trick
Going to try this tonight, thank you

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Diocletian

« Reply #3790 on: May 30, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
how can i tell if the bones bushings i have are no good? i have an old set of them that i want to put in my 148s but i'm not sure if they are bad

Put them in your trucks and skate them?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3791 on: May 30, 2018, 05:59:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Put them in your trucks and skate them

I had a set sitting around in my box of spares and when i muffin topped the current pair i switched those in, aside from yellowing they're performing fine even after a year or so i think after buying

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3792 on: May 30, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had a set sitting around in my box of spares and when i muffin topped the current pair i switched those in, aside from yellowing they're performing fine even after a year or so i think after buying

I had a set of white meds that seemed to get harder as they sat - compared to my black meds which are noticeably softer (unless it is a pigment thing).

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3793 on: May 30, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
I’m not currently riding them, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Ventures.  If thunder and Indy had a baby, I think they would be Ventures.  They are a nice middle ground of having a little more meat on them than thunders but not as heavy as Indy’s. 

I feel like they are super underrated.  It might also be a little bit of nostalgic sentimentality on my part because I happened to be riding some hand-me-down Ventures when I really fell in love with skating and started really progressing.

Curious to know what everyone else thinks about them.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3794 on: May 30, 2018, 07:08:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I had a set of white meds that seemed to get harder as they sat - compared to my black meds which are noticeably softer (unless it is a pigment thing).

Mine could have too, i wasn't paying a great deal of attention and haven't any fresh ones to compare, but sounds pretty reasonable

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #3795 on: May 30, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Mine could have too, i wasn't paying a great deal of attention and haven't any fresh ones to compare, but sounds pretty reasonable

I thought i noticed the yellow part detaching from the bushing so that's why i thought they might be fucked
even the steven

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3796 on: May 30, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
if the core bit is coming out then yeah that's a bit more of a problem, id still say skate them, bones dont last forever anyway

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #3797 on: May 31, 2018, 07:06:04 AM »
I’m not currently riding them, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Ventures.  If thunder and Indy had a baby, I think they would be Ventures.  They are a nice middle ground of having a little more meat on them than thunders but not as heavy as Indy’s. 

I feel like they are super underrated.  It might also be a little bit of nostalgic sentimentality on my part because I happened to be riding some hand-me-down Ventures when I really fell in love with skating and started really progressing.

Curious to know what everyone else thinks about them.

I agree that Ventures seem to be underrated around here, I'm surprised to see so few people going for them. I bounce back and forth between Thunder and Venture, but lately I've been appreciating the stability and grind clearance of Ventures. I feel like I can grind and slide through the shittiest of ledges and roll over rough ground with them and not be as jostled or get pitched as often as I would with Thunder. Indy for me has always felt too heavy and just not for me.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3798 on: May 31, 2018, 07:11:11 AM »
ive never skated em, but I get psyched when I see people skate Ventures... makes me think of 00's AVE and/or other ledge skaters of that era.  glad to see they are getting a resurgence
hardly art, hardly starving

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3799 on: May 31, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
Venture is the all time street truck....if Gonz was to put a board in the smithsonian it'd have Ventures.  The other thing about Vemtures which is sick is the tshirts and the hats.....you kinda can't wear them unless you skate them. 

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3800 on: May 31, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Venture is the all time street truck....if Gonz was to put a board in the smithsonian it'd have Ventures.  The other thing about Vemtures which is sick is the tshirts and the hats.....you kinda can't wear them unless you skate them.

Yeah I’d definitely get a venture t shirt if it’s on sale.  I predict that ventures will become pretty trendy in about 5 years.  I don’t have any evidence of this, just a gut feeling. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3801 on: May 31, 2018, 07:53:55 AM »
I recently made the switch back to Ventures from Indy and I love them. Skating 5.8 v-light highs and they turn and grind wonderfully, though  it took a little longer to break them in on both fronts than Indy. I really like the way the push the wheelbase out a little bit longer, too.

ive never skated em, but I get psyched when I see people skate Ventures... makes me think of 00's AVE and/or other ledge skaters of that era.  glad to see they are getting a resurgence

Hell yeah, revisting pics of AVE, Dill, and Pops skating them back in that era is what made me want to get a set again.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3802 on: May 31, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Hell yeah, revisting pics of AVE, Dill, and Pops skating them back in that era is what made me want to get a set again.

hardly art, hardly starving

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3803 on: May 31, 2018, 08:10:57 AM »

So sick

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3804 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:20 AM »
Watched photosynthesis last night. Wanted a 7.5 deck, venture 5.0 lows, swishy pants and puffy shoes by dinner time

P.s. I always liked the way Gall steps into the grass on his switch crook ender with the pant leg up. Style even when the board stops
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:40:57 AM by fang »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3805 on: May 31, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
Watched photosynthesis last night. Wanted a 7.5 deck, venture 5.0 lows, swishy pants and puffy shoes by dinner time

P.s. I always liked the way Gall steps into the grass on his switch crook ender with the pant leg up. Style even when the board stops

Too real. I have to constantly remind myself I have no business riding that kind of setup but DAMN I want to so bad.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3806 on: May 31, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
I actually did about a year ago and as much fun as the flips were, I'm pretty sure it hurt my feet to land on a little board. I think 2 things: I am 42 now so there's that. And back when boards were that small, shoes were huge and padded so maybe that helped. But in saying that, the board looked great. And I did enjoy it

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3807 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
I'm sure it looked amazing. I love how small setups look...until my size 12 feet are on there.

Sorry for derailing the thread with nostalgia, but yeah, Ventures look and feel great and people shouldn't be afraid to give them a shot.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3808 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
Best part was that it was a Terror of Planet X Anthony Pappalardo w/ Don Pendleton art too. I had so many Alien, then Habitat boards back then. I had 5 different "ride everything " boards for sure. The 7.5 AVE was one of the best boards I ever owned

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #3809 on: May 31, 2018, 10:06:04 AM »
So I set up my ace 44s yesterday (pic in setup thread) gonna try em out today. And I’ll be getting blessed with some tensors in the mail from Nootnoot today. So let’s all shower Noot with gnars and say a prayer for my madness.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH