Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220621 times)

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3810 on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
My first setup had Ventures on them and I learned so much using that truck. I always broke kingpins on it so I finally had enough of it and skated Indy stage 9s-11s. For the next 14 years? I’ve been only skating Indy, here was no other truck fuck the rest blah blah.   I’m at the point where I find the Indy’s weren’t my style of skating anymore and I needed more quickness. I tried out Thunder for a bit And my board control was improved. Finally went back to Venture now it’s under DLX and the quality was much better. I’m on my second pair of Venture 5.8 hi standard. Brings me back to how much I enjoyed skating this truck. I’ll be skating Ventures for a while.

Diocletian

« Reply #3811 on: May 31, 2018, 10:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how can i tell if the bones bushings i have are no good? i have an old set of them that i want to put in my 148s but i'm not sure if they are bad
[close]

Put them in your trucks and skate them
[close]

I had a set sitting around in my box of spares and when i muffin topped the current pair i switched those in, aside from yellowing they're performing fine even after a year or so i think after buying
[close]

I had a set of white meds that seemed to get harder as they sat - compared to my black meds which are noticeably softer (unless it is a pigment thing).
[close]

Mine could have too, i wasn't paying a great deal of attention and haven't any fresh ones to compare, but sounds pretty reasonable
[close]

I thought i noticed the yellow part detaching from the bushing so that's why i thought they might be fucked

Precisely why you should get some pure urethane bushings and not Bones. They always...always eventually separate from the plastic core. I’ve yet to ever destroy a pure urethane bushing. They last pretty much forever unless you buy some really soft ones.

BoxStuffer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #3812 on: May 31, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
I usually ride the bones soft w/o washers until I muffin top one then throw in a soft Indy to replace it.

I agree the bones will muffin top earlier than an all polyurethane bushings but enjoy the feel of the bones prior to them separating. I had some weird Shorty's bushing crack/tear on me before.

I ride Indy forged/hollow 149s.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:03:03 PM by BoxStuffer »
Enjoy your life.

micky682

« Reply #3813 on: May 31, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
I have indys and aftermarket 90a barrel bushings, but my board keeps wanting to go in a circle every time I step on it like a boomerang. It won't go in a straight line, just keeps hugging to the left like a 45 degree angle.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #3814 on: May 31, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how can i tell if the bones bushings i have are no good? i have an old set of them that i want to put in my 148s but i'm not sure if they are bad
[close]

[close]

I had a set sitting around in my box of spares and when i muffin topped the current pair i switched those in, aside from yellowing they're performing fine even after a year or so i think after buying
[close]

I had a set of white meds that seemed to get harder as they sat - compared to my black meds which are noticeably softer (unless it is a pigment thing).
[close]

Mine could have too, i wasn't paying a great deal of attention and haven't any fresh ones to compare, but sounds pretty reasonable
[close]

I thought i noticed the yellow part detaching from the bushing so that's why i thought they might be fucked
[close]

Precisely why you should get some pure urethane bushings and not Bones. They always...always eventually separate from the plastic core. I’ve yet to ever destroy a pure urethane bushing. They last pretty much forever unless you buy some really soft ones.

are there any bushings very similar to bones? i wish they would make bushings without that plastic core. i'm open to any suggestions
even the steven

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #3815 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:38 AM »
I was skating all-stock Ace 44 but realized they weren't funny enough, just a little too tight even if my kingpin nut was the loosest possible.
I tried Krux top bushing, but it's too small and I don't like to have more than two threads showing on my kingpin.

So I decided to cut a little the Ace top bushing, with a hot razor blade, and sanding it a little to make it well flat.

The size is perfect, but the problem is that now my top washer diameter is too small and my trucks are acting like crazy, like keeping turning at right and all.

What are your advices for skating them between stock and Krux bushing wobble ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3816 on: June 01, 2018, 06:16:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

are there any bushings very similar to bones? i wish they would make bushings without that plastic core. i'm open to any suggestions

The same urethane is propably on ML barrel bushinngs.
Other that i like are Indy aftermarket red ones. Conical.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3817 on: June 01, 2018, 06:18:45 AM »
Anybody else here that would like to see Venture do an 5,5/8.25 truck.
Max mid hight :P

Haven`t tried my 148s yet.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3818 on: June 01, 2018, 06:20:09 AM »

Yeah, they should

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3819 on: June 01, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »

If V jumped on the 8.25 hollow train they'd sell for sure.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #3820 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »

Diocletian

« Reply #3821 on: June 01, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Any bushing that’s conical shaped.

Diocletian

« Reply #3822 on: June 01, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »
I was skating all-stock Ace 44 but realized they weren't funny enough, just a little too tight even if my kingpin nut was the loosest possible.
I tried Krux top bushing, but it's too small and I don't like to have more than two threads showing on my kingpin.

So I decided to cut a little the Ace top bushing, with a hot razor blade, and sanding it a little to make it well flat.

The size is perfect, but the problem is that now my top washer diameter is too small and my trucks are acting like crazy, like keeping turning at right and all.

What are your advices for skating them between stock and Krux bushing wobble ?

Why do you care so much about your kingpin having threads showing? Even if you don’t have threads showing, once the nut gets ground enough it’ll still reach the kingpin and strip it. It happens. Just use the Krux man. If you really care that much about the threads, a Bones top bushing with the flat washer will allow a better turn without threads sticking out.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3823 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3824 on: June 02, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
so theeve and destructo come out of the same MFG
https://skatetruck.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.icbuShop.cordpanyb.2.3bde3f06oNItgI
[close]

ROB! SPARKLES!

jason jesse new sponsor sparkle trucks?

Beer and Peanuts

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3825 on: June 03, 2018, 01:31:58 AM »
What’s up truck enthusiasts, I’m after some advice. Should I try switching from indies to Thunder or Venture?

I’m getting older and finding I have less pop now days, so I want something lighter. Been riding indies for about the last ten years, though I did mess around with others before that.

I briefly tried a set of Thunders a few years ago but for some reason they wouldn’t turn at all, even when I tried loosening them right up and switching to my old bushings. I’m hoping they were just duds.

Do venture lows turn as bad as I’ve heard? Should I just stick with the highs? Or should I try thunder again? And is it worth paying more for hollow axles and kingpins or titanium this or that? Are lighter trucks going to help me pop higher anyway or am I just on the downward slope?

My nearest skate shop is five hours away, so I don’t have the option of going and comparing options in person.

I ride an 8.125 and 52mm wheels for reference. I like my trucks a little loose but not overly so.

Suggestions please?

(Sorry for the long-winded post)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3826 on: June 03, 2018, 01:52:26 AM »
What’s up truck enthusiasts, I’m after some advice. Should I try switching from indies to Thunder or Venture?

I’m getting older and finding I have less pop now days, so I want something lighter. Been riding indies for about the last ten years, though I did mess around with others before that.

I briefly tried a set of Thunders a few years ago but for some reason they wouldn’t turn at all, even when I tried loosening them right up and switching to my old bushings. I’m hoping they were just duds.

Do venture lows turn as bad as I’ve heard? Should I just stick with the highs? Or should I try thunder again? And is it worth paying more for hollow axles and kingpins or titanium this or that? Are lighter trucks going to help me pop higher anyway or am I just on the downward slope?

My nearest skate shop is five hours away, so I don’t have the option of going and comparing options in person.

I ride an 8.125 and 52mm wheels for reference. I like my trucks a little loose but not overly so.

Suggestions please?

Thunder 148 standard or team hollow

Those sparkles look like trash

I’ve been loving my mini logo, kinda wanna plug the thunders on again but...

I know they won’t match the broken in feel like the mini logo

The only bad thing I can say yet about the mini logos was sadly the back kingpin got loose and I tried to just press it back in with a heavy duty bench press from work but it was still loose so as it should have been expected the China quality saddened me but did the ole krux in aces trick and just applied some jb weld on the splines and pressed the pin in again, waited for the cure and all good again til who knows but damn fine trucks

They just feel so easy to do stuff
yes

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #3827 on: June 03, 2018, 02:53:12 AM »
If I were to purchase Thunders should I also buy after market bushings/pivot cups? If so what?

I've been riding Indies for years but feel like a change and I loved Thunder years ago.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #3828 on: June 03, 2018, 03:03:31 AM »
If I were to purchase Thunders should I also buy after market bushings/pivot cups? If so what?

I've been riding Indies for years but feel like a change and I loved Thunder years ago.

stock thunders are 90a just like independents stock bushings. but the last few stages of indy have had the cylinder shaped bushing opposed to the conical shape thunders have
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3829 on: June 03, 2018, 04:40:36 AM »

For me, as a 95% Indy rider from 86-2018, when I've got Thunder, I just put them on as I've got them, stock bushings and never tighten them. Skate a few times and they are good. Indys,since stage 9, I've had to tighten/loosen repeat for the first 5 sessions. (Keep in mind that I never switch bushings, everything stock). Indys are great but it is nice to try new stuff sometimes. I think that's why I've been trying new decks (instead of predictably Deluxe). Miss that from when I was a kid, just trying stuff out. Dumb thing for me is that I got my Indys set up how I like and the first thing I do is go buy thunders.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #3830 on: June 03, 2018, 07:12:20 AM »
Yeah id say no need to change much with thunders. Stock bushings/pivot cups are sound. What I like to do is replace the stock top washer with the flat one that comes with bones bushings and then use the top washer at the bottom. The lack of flange/rim on the flat washer makes it easier for me to turn but mind tgat the board feels a bit wobblier.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3831 on: June 03, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
Thunder stock bushings.. are they the same as their replacement 90a?

(Totally contradicting that I don't change bushings but I preferred the yellow transparent bushings over the blue)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:24:24 PM by fang »

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #3832 on: June 03, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
Does anybody know if the transparent green/yellow thunder bushings are sold separately?  I just like the color and been using this color forever. Or if anybody has some I'll buy them off of them.

static.monstersports.com.br/produtos/617/truck-thunder-polished-hi-147mm-75326.jpg

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3833 on: June 03, 2018, 05:40:16 PM »

depends on the color of them maybe? I have the piss yellow ones and they are perfect in every way

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #3834 on: June 03, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »

Suggestions please?

Hey dude, I would suggest Indy titaniums, if you like how Indys turn, they are way lighter, and a little lower which might help your pop. The lighter weight definitely helps make Ollies float more. I just got aces and they turn very similar but a little bit looser/easier. They are heavier (but not that bad at all) And are about the same height as Indy Titaniums.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Beer and Peanuts

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3835 on: June 03, 2018, 11:31:48 PM »
Thanks man, I didn’t even consider the Indy titanium’s. Sounds like a good option. I didn’t realise they were lower than regular indies - I’m guessing it’s not by very much?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3836 on: June 04, 2018, 12:11:20 AM »
Thanks man, I didn’t even consider the Indy titanium’s. Sounds like a good option. I didn’t realise they were lower than regular indies - I’m guessing it’s not by very much?
Regular indies 55mm tall, forged ones 53,5mm.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

hey pickle

« Reply #3837 on: June 04, 2018, 05:34:39 AM »
just got a brand new set of thunder ti 149s, axle is slipped on one of the trucks. such a bummer. i live in england but bought the trucks from socal skate shop, shall i email them or the guy from dlx on here? whats his account?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3838 on: June 04, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
just got a brand new set of thunder ti 149s, axle is slipped on one of the trucks. such a bummer. i live in england but bought the trucks from socal skate shop, shall i email them or the guy from dlx on here? whats his account?

you can e-mail [email protected]

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #3839 on: June 04, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for the Thunder/bushing advice. I think I'm gonna go for it. Anyone know if Indy bushings work on them as I would really like to have some pre broken in bushings.