Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221015 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3840 on: June 04, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
I just got some new Indy 169s (with the made in china tag) and I'm thinking of exchanging them for Titaniums, is it worthwhile?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3841 on: June 04, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »
just got a brand new set of thunder ti 149s, axle is slipped on one of the trucks. such a bummer. i live in england but bought the trucks from socal skate shop, shall i email them or the guy from dlx on here? whats his account?

I had a split set of spitfires years back i bought internationally, emailed reed, and while he was super helpful end result was it was just directed to the local distro for a replacement

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #3842 on: June 04, 2018, 05:25:37 PM »
Recently setup my Indys with two top bushings and it's really nice. I'm able to keep both washers on and keep the bolt flush to the kingpin meaning I'm not constantly worried about the bolt falling off. The weird thing is they feel looser than riding them wobbly with standard bushings, but they don't wobble. I'm still messing around with the setup but I'm really digging it right now.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #3843 on: June 04, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
Alright, so I’ve had a few sessions on my new ace 44s and the tensor all terrains. I skate very low impact shit, small bowls, curbs, flat ground, manny pads. Here’s my opinions so far.

Aces 44s Rally Green:
As far as me and BMC could tell, all the Rally Greens were the re-design with the new bushings so that’s why I got these. I didn’t try to inspect them or anything to try to figure it out either. I left them stock so I could break the bushings in, and at the start of the first session I felt like I would be getting wheelbite on every trick. After about 15 mins they started to bounce back a little already. The turn was nice and smooth, and they felt stable before I popped any tricks so that was cool. My front shoves popped high and I was catching them which showed me the lower height was better for me. Compared to the standard baseplate with titanium hangar experiment I was trying with indys since the beginning of the year. The grind was sticky at first, but I couldn’t tell if it was because of the painted trucks, or the dry curb I was skating. About an hour in they pretty close to perfect, rebound was already there, I could land all of my go to tricks and even landed a couple I don’t normally land that fast. Second time I skated them was at the Fremont park yesterday. Turn felt sharp and good (I may tighten them a tiny bit but I’m not sure yet) they grinded smooth on the metal edge. My manny tricks were landed in a couple tries (albeit I landed them on the tensors first). In the small bowl they felt good, I can barely scrape backside Smith grinds and I’m happy if my back truck touches frontside, and I was able to do those easy enough. Over all I like them a lot.

Tensor All Terrain Magnesium 8.5 width:
First session was at Fremont skatepark yesterday, they felt really weird straight out the gate. I left them stock again to break in the bushings. They felt like they hesitated to turn when you started to lean (when aces feel like they react immediately). They felt like they turned way more shallow and wide as opposed to a deeper turn like aces. At first the bushings felt a little hard, they loosened up pretty quickly tho and started to have some rebound, but the hesitation/delayed turn was still there. The added height made my front shoves pop slower and made me land towards the front of the board (same as indys with standard height). Ollies felt amazing because of the board being so light. When I ollied on a corner hip it felt super floaty. Manny tricks took a minute, just getting used to the pop probably. In the bowl they felt ok, a lot easier to carve than I thought they would. The only weird thing there was, after doing backside scrapes it felt like the wheels came down and touched, and THEN turned back into the tranny instead of it being one motion. The turn is pretty surfy tho and better than I thought. Today skating to the park for flat ground, i leaned hard to carve and got wheelbite and came to a stop. Almost ate shit, front shoves still popped weird for me because of height, and it felt hard to hit the tail on kickflips although I was able to land a couple pretty quick. Any questions just ask.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3844 on: June 05, 2018, 10:18:55 AM »

Tensor All Terrain Magnesium 8.5 width:
felt really weird straight out the gate.
They felt like they hesitated to turn when you started to lean (when aces feel like they react immediately).
They felt like they turned way more shallow and wide as opposed to a deeper turn like aces.

The only weird thing there was, after doing backside scrapes it felt like the wheels came down and touched, and THEN turned back into the tranny instead of it being one motion. The turn is pretty surfy tho and better than I thought. Today skating to the park for flat ground, i leaned hard to carve and got wheelbite and came to a stop. Almost ate shit, front shoves still popped weird for me because of height, and it felt hard to hit the tail on kickflips although I was able to land a couple pretty quick. Any questions just ask.

Hesitation in trucks is bad. that last bit, I have no idea what you are talking about ;P

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3845 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:36 PM »
Anyone got any info on the new indy low coming soon?
yes

Jonny Utah

• Rep: -32
« Reply #3846 on: June 06, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
Anyone got any info on the new indy low coming soon?

calvinsdream

« Reply #3847 on: June 06, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #3848 on: June 06, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
I asked NHS probably a couple months ago about indy lows and they are being re-engineered.  They said expect 2019.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3849 on: June 09, 2018, 04:02:51 AM »
I bought some royal 5.5's recently. First thing I noticed was the kingpin clearance of which there was absolutely none. Stock bushing setup and nut flush there's like 2mm of nut sticking up.
Another problem is the top washer hits the hanger before the wheel touches the board. I'm certain you just cannot run these with a top washer without risking snapping a kingpin.

So I put in some bones hard with bottom washer to retain standard geometry and no washer on top so I could  run the nut lower after grinding down the kingpin. I took off 1mm increments on the kingpin with my bench grinder. I contemplated running the bones replacement washer on top aswell but decided against it so I could get the kingpin and nut lower. They have really good kingpin clearance now.

A bit of work on these things and they are awesome. Really liking how they skate and I'm a big fan of lower trucks in the 8.5 range. Not many around! Will report back once I've skated them more. I've only put about an hour on them at this point but so far so good.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3850 on: June 09, 2018, 08:38:11 PM »
I bought some royal 5.5's recently. First thing I noticed was the kingpin clearance of which there was absolutely none. Stock bushing setup and nut flush there's like 2mm of nut sticking up.
Another problem is the top washer hits the hanger before the wheel touches the board. I'm certain you just cannot run these with a top washer without risking snapping a kingpin.

So I put in some bones hard with bottom washer to retain standard geometry and no washer on top so I could  run the nut lower after grinding down the kingpin. I took off 1mm increments on the kingpin with my bench grinder. I contemplated running the bones replacement washer on top aswell but decided against it so I could get the kingpin and nut lower. They have really good kingpin clearance now.

A bit of work on these things and they are awesome. Really liking how they skate and I'm a big fan of lower trucks in the 8.5 range. Not many around! Will report back once I've skated them more. I've only put about an hour on them at this point but so far so good.

They didn’t have the 5.5 with that Allen key kingpin?
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3851 on: June 09, 2018, 11:01:00 PM »
I thought the kingpins looked cheap....the krux ones are such a better design....

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3852 on: June 09, 2018, 11:48:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They didn’t have the 5.5 with that Allen key kingpin?

I couldn't find any online here in aus, otherwise I would have bought them.

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #3853 on: June 10, 2018, 10:01:47 AM »
Just got some thunder team hollows 148 in the mail.. think it will throw me off since I am used to 149s? i usually skate around a 8.25.  im kinda pissed i didnt get the 149s cuz now i cant upsize much.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3854 on: June 10, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
Just got some thunder team hollows 148 in the mail.. think it will throw me off since I am used to 149s? i usually skate around a 8.25.  im kinda pissed i didnt get the 149s cuz now i cant upsize much.

You're better off on an 8.25 and you can size up quite a bit without it getting super weird. You'll get used to it super quick I bet, don't stress.

cancelled

• Rep: -26
« Reply #3855 on: June 10, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
right on. thank you.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3856 on: June 10, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunder stock bushings.. are they the same as their replacement 90a?

(Totally contradicting that I don't change bushings but I preferred the yellow transparent bushings over the blue)
[close]

The White/90A replacement bushings as well as the Red Translucent/90A re-build kit are the same as stock. I always go with the red translucent. For some reason they just seem to last longer for me. I'm glad they include them with the Team Lights now.
I'm pretty sure the red ones in the team editions are 99d.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3857 on: June 10, 2018, 10:14:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

(Totally contradicting that I don't change bushings but I preferred the yellow transparent bushings over the blue)
[close]

The White/90A replacement bushings as well as the Red Translucent/90A re-build kit are the same as stock. I always go with the red translucent. For some reason they just seem to last longer for me. I'm glad they include them with the Team Lights now.
[close]

That's what they say on the site/catalog but they're definitely as soft as the normal 90d that have been standard forever. At least the set I have anyhow. They look and feel the same as the Thunder 90d rebuild kit.

Would love to hear from LennyDLXSF about it. Not complaining, 99d stock bushings don't sound very appealing.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3858 on: June 10, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

That's what they say on the site/catalog but they're definitely as soft as the normal 90d that have been standard forever. At least the set I have anyhow. They look and feel the same as the Thunder 90d rebuild kit.

Would love to hear from LennyDLXSF about it. Not complaining, 99d stock bushings don't sound very appealing.

I had a set pretty recently and they started out soft but after a few days were pretty much rocks.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3859 on: June 10, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I had a set pretty recently and they started out soft but after a few days were pretty much rocks.

Really? Weird. I think I'm about a month a half in on the team lights and they feel the same as any other set of Thunders, bushing-wise. There was another guy a few pages back who posted about his set having soft 90d's as well, maybe we got some flukes. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:31:42 PM by palelight »

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #3860 on: June 11, 2018, 02:48:05 AM »
wondering if any pal around here has tried the inverted kingpin-krux bushing combo on indys before. Really curious on giving it a try, cheers.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3861 on: June 11, 2018, 04:39:22 AM »
wondering if any pal around here has tried the inverted kingpin-krux bushing combo on indys before. Really curious on giving it a try, cheers.

I've done the inverted kingpin on Indy's with stock indy bushings which worked fine but the Krux bushings would be too tall

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #3862 on: June 11, 2018, 05:22:56 AM »
Indy 144's & 149's one for street and other for vert/pools both Bones hardcore stiff but barely tighten them down as they break in are like butttttttttter as fuck.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #3863 on: June 11, 2018, 05:52:49 AM »
Thunder 149's
Stock bushings
I use washers, and the spacers for my Swiss.

Expand Quote
The one weird thing that I do is I set both trucks up with equal tightness and then I switch them (front to back) with every new board setup. 
[close]
I also do this, my friends think it's weird that I don't designate a front and back truck.
I also tighten my mounting hardware diagonally. Just a quirk I guess, but I always thought it'd center the baseplate better.
Do you ride bmx? I use to do that when tightening bars down, shorty after I quit riding bmx in like the 6 grade I got back into skating and have had that same philosophy of tightening hardware crossways it's a thing others do.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3864 on: June 11, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

That's definitely a typo on the site, I'll email someone at DLX and let them know so hopefully it gets fixed. The Team Lights/Hollows/Titaniums at Escapist all have the soft stock 90A red translucent bushings that are the same as the 90A re-build kit and all the other stock translucent bushings they offer. I've got three sets of the 148 Team Lights and one set of the 149 Team Lights on my personal setups and all of them are 90A. They feel and break-in just like the stock white and translucent yellow, orange and blues used on the Teams and 148's. I actually had to change out the bushings with some from the 90A re-build kit on one truck due to too many air bubbles and a gouge in the urethane and they broke-in and feel exactly the same as the bushings they came with. They start off super soft but break-in pretty quickly and firm up a little and develop pretty good responsiveness. I've tried the red 97A Thunder replacement bushings before and those are like rocks, not even close to what these are like. Maybe they were using the 99D ones in the beginning and discovered that was a bad idea for stock so there's a few sets floating around with rock hard bushings. I've just never seen them or experienced anything other than the norm on the ones I own or have seen at the shop.
Put a shirt on.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #3865 on: June 11, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've done the inverted kingpin on Indy's with stock indy bushings which worked fine but the Krux bushings would be too tall

i steady use indy bushing and that photo got me going. Definitely trying it out. gracias!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3866 on: June 11, 2018, 08:15:42 PM »
Switched out to thunder 149 lights

Not as much board feel like the mini logo but definitely more pop

Also is really nice riding loose with control cause thunder bushings rebound excellent

Is it me or do the all terrain tensor hangars look the same shape as a thunder 148 and up? They really do look like thunder hangars but with the tensor divots
yes

micky682

« Reply #3867 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Can I switch out my 149 hangar to 139 and keep the same baseplate? Both aren’t forged.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3868 on: June 12, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »
Can I switch out my 149 hangar to 139 and keep the same baseplate? Both aren’t forged.

yes
hardly art, hardly starving

micky682

« Reply #3869 on: June 12, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes
Thanks g.