Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220559 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3870 on: June 12, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can I switch out my 149 hangar to 139 and keep the same baseplate? Both aren’t forged.
[close]

yes
[close]
Thanks g.
Some of my friends are using same baseplates till they burn through them, everytime when they get new set they just mount hangers into old baseplates and bushings. Never tried it myself but it should take away the break-in period🤔
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

micky682

« Reply #3871 on: June 12, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can I switch out my 149 hangar to 139 and keep the same baseplate? Both aren’t forged.
[close]

yes
[close]
Thanks g.
[close]
Some of my friends are using same baseplates till they burn through them, everytime when they get new set they just mount hangers into old baseplates and bushings. Never tried it myself but it should take away the break-in period🤔
Slides feel the same today and I just switched the hangar and not the baseplate. Definitely helps with the break in period.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3872 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:20 PM »
Can someone clue me in on what Riptide pivot cups bring to the table? I'm tempted to try some in my Indy's, but don't want to pony up for minimal performance returns.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3873 on: June 12, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
wondering if any pal around here has tried the inverted kingpin-krux bushing combo on indys before. Really curious on giving it a try, cheers.
[close]

I've done the inverted kingpin on Indy's with stock indy bushings which worked fine but the Krux bushings would be too tall

Does this involve epoxying the nut into the baseplate or anything similar?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3874 on: June 13, 2018, 01:17:57 AM »
I run this on thunders, if you are likely to want to tinker use JB weld or epoxy resin.
I had an educated guess at tightness (bolt flush) and used a stubby flathead to hold the nut whilst tightening.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3875 on: June 13, 2018, 04:42:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
wondering if any pal around here has tried the inverted kingpin-krux bushing combo on indys before. Really curious on giving it a try, cheers.
[close]

I've done the inverted kingpin on Indy's with stock indy bushings which worked fine but the Krux bushings would be too tall

[close]

If you frequently loosen or tighten your trucks, you will need to epoxy the nut in place or you'll have to take them off every time you want to tighten it and wedge a screwdriver between the nut and baseplate to hold it in place as you tighten.

I just "set it and forget it" with my trucks so I never bothered

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3876 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

If you frequently loosen or tighten your trucks, you will need to epoxy the nut in place or you'll have to take them off every time you want to tighten it and wedge a screwdriver between the nut and baseplate to hold it in place as you tighten.

stock indy bushings ? you'll remind of it shortly  ;)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3877 on: June 13, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
stock indy bushings ? you'll remind of it shortly  ;)

Aftermarkets
!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #3878 on: June 13, 2018, 09:03:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That looks like a lot of clearance, how much do you think it improved over the stock indy kingpin? Are feebles and smiths easier?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3879 on: June 13, 2018, 09:17:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

is it possible to have loose trucks with these kingpins? i skate my thunders fairly loose so they are a little wiggly and i've been wondering if it would be possible if i swapped the kingpins to krux. they're a little shorter, no?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3880 on: June 13, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »
So left of shot is current 147hi forged Thunder. Have riser as nut sticks out a smidge too far. Right is 149 forged to give you an idea of how tight they would be.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3881 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
The day I got my new thunders, skated them once and put my Indys back on. Nothing against them even really. Just comparing notes. I think i feel a more "solid landing" on my Indys I think. I'm switching back n forth on shoes too during my experimenting. Emerica Reynolds G6 vs Adidas Busenitz pro. Seems my 42 year old feet get an ache quick in the Busenitz but not the Reynolds. Reynolds with Indys feels pretty good. Thunder with Busenitz feels good until the nagging heel bruise feeling starts.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3882 on: June 13, 2018, 01:45:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

is it possible to have loose trucks with these kingpins? i skate my thunders fairly loose so they are a little wiggly and i've been wondering if it would be possible if i swapped the kingpins to krux. they're a little shorter, no?

Yes, but only if you use soft bushings and/or a low top; it's tricky to get the pin into nylon portion of the nut. I've never been able to get them wiggly with the krux pin as I'd be too worried it's going to fall off.

revfredmorton

• Rep: -50
« Reply #3883 on: June 14, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
indy 149s on front, 144s on back, soft bones bushings.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3884 on: June 14, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »
Tried my ventures a full turn tighter. Tricks are more stable but trucks can’t oversompensate when I mob a trick. When I grind I’m used to the trucks flopped when grinding so it felt super weird. Bombinghills I actually felt like I can speed wobble more since my bushings rebound faster. Going over rough streets was harder. Went back to original looseness for surf feel.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #3885 on: June 14, 2018, 09:17:17 PM »
I had some unused Stage 8s and was surprised that I could mount Stage X hangers. Current setup is Stage 8 baseplates (in order to use old style mounting holes) with Stage X 149 hangers and stock Indy Stage VI bottom bushings, Stage VIII tops.

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3886 on: June 15, 2018, 02:07:33 AM »
Coming from stock independent bushings and searching for more responsive bushings, anybody has a good advice? I hate bones ones. They blow out within 3-4 weeks. I kind of never tried the independent conical 90a's. Also thought about buying some dohdohs.

I would just test the shit, but they are at least 10 to 15 bucks in Europe.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3887 on: June 15, 2018, 02:49:16 AM »
Coming from stock independent bushings and searching for more responsive bushings, anybody has a good advice? I hate bones ones. They blow out within 3-4 weeks. I kind of never tried the independent conical 90a's. Also thought about buying some dohdohs.

Hello. I have liked a lot red Indy aftermarket bushings. My guess is that they come from the same place as Krux ones.
One thing to keep in mind, is that going from stock indys to 90a conical aftermarkets is that the trucks will propably feel wery loose. Especially if you are not a lighter person. Might throw you off in the beginning.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3888 on: June 15, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hello. I have liked a lot red Indy aftermarket bushings. My guess is that they come from the same place as Krux ones.
One thing to keep in mind, is that going from stock indys to 90a conical aftermarkets is that the trucks will propably feel wery loose. Especially if you are not a lighter person. Might throw you off in the beginning.

Keep in mind that the aftermarket conicals are taller than the aftermarket/stock barrels...stage XI were designed with the short barrel bottoms in mind; as noted above the conicals will indeed feel very loose, especially the 88a ones, to me they feel very unstable on center
(so much so that I just switched to the 88a aftermarket barrels)

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3889 on: June 16, 2018, 11:15:54 AM »
So the madness has struck again and I’ve switched from some Venture 5.8 V-Lights w/ bones mediums back to my old Thunder 149 Ti’s w/ their aftermarket 97d Heavy bushings, cast plate, and Krux Downlow kingpin. I’m just a sucker for that slim hanger shape & the lighter weight I guess

Flip tricks feel like easy mode after the switch. Not that I had any issues with fliptricks on ventures, they just flip faster with thunders. but even with the krux pin, thunders don’t lock into grinds as well as ventures (smiths/feebles on rails specifically) because the hangers so much skinnier and doesn’t have as much “lip”  around the sides of the kingpin that the ventures do. There’s defintely moments where you get pitched from wheelbite w/ thunders whereas ventures are much more forgiving and will at least let you get away with a sloppy rollaway.

I’m gonna try to stick it out with the thunders for a while since they’re my oldest set of trucks, but I’ll probably be back on ventures after a day of bad wheelbite or whenever they finally remake the 5.8 hollow axels.

Not Local

« Reply #3890 on: June 16, 2018, 07:15:18 PM »
Got back on my Thunder 151s today after being on Ace 44s for a long time. I must say the wider trucks felt way better on chunkier ledges and the metal grinds better also. Weird adjustment on the pop though.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #3891 on: June 17, 2018, 05:08:01 AM »
Had Ace 44 classics but like Thunders, the turn was too quick for taste. Sold them and got forged hollow Indy 149s (first time I've ever had Indys without cast plates), threw on some 90A conical Indy aftermarket bushings and I may never use another truck again. These things are perfect!

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3892 on: June 17, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »
Had Ace 44 classics but like Thunders, the turn was too quick for taste. Sold them and got forged hollow Indy 149s (first time I've ever had Indys without cast plates), threw on some 90A conical Indy aftermarket bushings and I may never use another truck again. These things are perfect!

Sorry bud but if you liked the forged hollows, you'll probably love the titanium's.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #3893 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry bud but if you liked the forged hollows, you'll probably love the titanium's.
thats what im riding right now(thank you rumplefoarskin) but i switched the top bushing on my back truck and put an old as fuck used indy bushing and its fucking perfect
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #3894 on: June 17, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Too expensive. I'd only try them because I'd like that the Axle was hard enough so my bolt would never get stuck but I haven't had that problem in years so...

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3895 on: June 17, 2018, 09:30:47 PM »
I'm skating some regular Thunder 148s, stock, 1 thread showing tight.  Wheelbite hasn't really been an issue, but turning has.  If I get some harder bushings I should be able to loosen up a bit right? I like the height and pop so I'm trying to avoid risers.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #3896 on: June 18, 2018, 07:56:44 AM »
I'm skating some regular Thunder 148s, stock, 1 thread showing tight.  Wheelbite hasn't really been an issue, but turning has.  If I get some harder bushings I should be able to loosen up a bit right? I like the height and pop so I'm trying to avoid risers.

I had a thread or two showing and then changed just the bottom bushing to Krux (had to change the washer also) and now it's totally flush and skates great. I'm not real big on conical bushings I guess.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3897 on: June 18, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
Some advice please.

I have enjoyed Ventures low 5.2s for a long time, but am trying to skate bigger boards these days.  I had Venture lows on 8" - 8.25" setups with 14.25" wheelbase.  I'm trying to skate 8.3 with 14.38" WB or 8.5" with 14.5" wheelbase.  I have tried Venture 5.8" and love how they skate, but flip tricks become very hard.  I am currently trying some Indy 149s.  I like how they turn and I can flip better since the effective WB is smaller.  But they still feel weird.  I also tried Thunder 148s, but they were a weird mix of old forged baseplate and raw 148 hangars.  They flipped great, but turned awful.  I have Bones medium bushings in all setups (they work for me).   My questions are, will Thunders turn weird even if I get a team baseplate?  Do 149s turn better/worse than 148s?

Thanks!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3898 on: June 18, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
Some advice please.

I have enjoyed Ventures low 5.2s for a long time, but am trying to skate bigger boards these days.  I had Venture lows on 8" - 8.25" setups with 14.25" wheelbase.  I'm trying to skate 8.3 with 14.38" WB or 8.5" with 14.5" wheelbase.  I have tried Venture 5.8" and love how they skate, but flip tricks become very hard.  I am currently trying some Indy 149s.  I like how they turn and I can flip better since the effective WB is smaller.  But they still feel weird.  I also tried Thunder 148s, but they were a weird mix of old forged baseplate and raw 148 hangars.  They flipped great, but turned awful.  I have Bones medium bushings in all setups (they work for me).   My questions are, will Thunders turn weird even if I get a team baseplate?  Do 149s turn better/worse than 148s?

Thanks!
I don't know anything about thunder, but you seem to like this indy feel, just change the stock bushings (shit) for some aftermarkets indy ones (in the hardness that suit you), words from an indy guy

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3899 on: June 18, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
Some advice please.

Thanks!

Only talking about the Thunders, the thing that's going to affect the turn more than the baseplate is the bushings. Bones geometry in Thunders is totally off. The bones bottom bushing is way too short and the top bushing is way too tall, throws off the center of the hanger in the kingpin pretty drastically. Stock Thunder bushings give you a much quicker/deeper turn than the bones will allow (still have to deal with wheelbite though, especially with forged plates). Probably worth the $10 to try em out before plunking down for a set of Teams.