Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220534 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3900 on: June 18, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
Anything will work if you get used to it but Thunder's bottom bushing is perfect for thunders, nothing else has the right height (Thunder bottom bushings are TALL); top bushings can be easily swapped out but for those that ride loose it's tough to do without changing out the bottom (throwing off geo) or, using the bottom with either a low or sanded down or super soft top (so it compresses to get the damn nut on).

I gave up using anything other than thunder bottoms and just ended up sanding down the tops, worked great.

In A Jar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3901 on: June 18, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »
Cool thanks everyone.  The main reason I have stuck with Bones bushings is because they avoid freezing up in the winter better than other bushings I've found.  But since it's summer maybe I'll give the Thunders another go with the stock bushings. 

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3902 on: June 19, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »
if you guys feel odd about your truck setups i know someone currently rocking a hand me down setup consisting of two krux baseplates, a hollow light 147 hangar on the back and a fucking 7.75 generic hangar on the front.....on an 8.75

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #3903 on: June 19, 2018, 06:29:13 AM »
if you guys feel odd about your truck setups i know someone currently rocking a hand me down setup consisting of two krux baseplates, a hollow light 147 hangar on the back and a fucking 7.75 generic hangar on the front.....on an 8.75

Some people just don't give a shit, and I envy those people. They probably have more fun skating at the end of the day than I do as I'm sweating whether my Thunders are good for tailslides or my Ventures are good for 360 flips  :'(

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3904 on: June 19, 2018, 08:39:13 AM »
Re Thunder Bushings.....are the after markets any good?  I remember way back the geometry of Indy and thunder wasn't that different and you bought thunders because of supercush.... Not sure why deluxe doesn't market that brand harder....are they any good though? 

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3905 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:26 AM »
on my 149s ive had the 90a red bushings (from the rebuild kit) and the 94a blue ones. reds were way too soft for me; wheelbite with 54mm wheels and risers. blues were nice but i think the stock piss yellow ones were best - 100a i think? that being said if i was gonna buy aftermarket ones i'd probably opt for the 97as.

finally decided to cave in, gonna buy a new set of 149s on friday. while the groove was nice and i really wanted to ride them until they snapped the fucked up bushings, losing axle nuts every other session, worn out mounting holes and fucked up rear kingpin are more trouble than it's worth. gonna see how long it takes to get the next set down to the axle.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3906 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
Re Thunder Bushings.....are the after markets any good?  I remember way back the geometry of Indy and thunder wasn't that different and you bought thunders because of supercush.... Not sure why deluxe doesn't market that brand harder....are they any good though?

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=42349

"Supercush Bushings are designed for Independent and Venture trucks. They will not fit in Thunder Trucks"

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3907 on: June 19, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »

I had supercush in some Indys back in 1990, and there was nothing better. Yes that was over a quarter of a century ago, but they were boss. But like Zen said, apparently not for Thunder. Although I think they fit them back in that era

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3908 on: June 19, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
Madness update: I switch Thunders and Indys back and forth, even if I haven't rode them that time. My wife doesn't even want to hear about this anymore. Unlucky her, I don't even skate with anyone anymore, due to my schedule,  so she has to listen.

"Where were you?" @2am
"Downstairs"
"Why?"
"Just uh.. looking at my trucks"
"Oh my god"

She doesn't even know there's a set of Ventures down there,  hiding in the shadows. Heh heh heh.

I know some of my madness is video influenced, which is irritating to even me.
If I watch Eastern Exposure (Ricky), Heath or Cardiel I'm like "Indys it is, fuck da rest" .
If I watch Busenitz, McCrank, Puig - "need them Thunders son".
If I watch Guy (mouse), Shef, PJ,  Tim O, "gotta get tech on the V-force brah!".

All these trucks are great, for different reasons. As bad as my left ankle is becoming,  I need stability something fierce. May try the Ventures out again, may not. When I land almost any trick my left ankle wants to roll, it's trash.

I also think since I finally joined the 8.0 and up deck world, everything feels different after all those years of 7.5-7.75. (I even have some venture 5.0 on hand "just in case"). And my inconsistent free time to get used to any of these, ha

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3909 on: June 19, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Madness update: I switch Thunders and Indys back and forth, even if I haven't rode them that time. My wife doesn't even want to hear about this anymore. Unlucky her, I don't even skate with anyone anymore, due to my schedule,  so she has to listen.

"Where were you?" @2am
"Downstairs"
"Why?"
"Oh my god"

She doesn't even know there's a set of Ventures down there,  hiding in the shadows. Heh heh heh.

If I watch Eastern Exposure (Ricky), Heath or Cardiel I'm like "Indys it is, fuck da rest" .
If I watch Guy (mouse), Shef, PJ,  Tim O, "gotta get tech on the V-force brah!".

All these trucks are great, for different reasons. As bad as my left ankle is becoming,  I need stability something fierce. May try the Ventures out again, may not. When I land almost any trick my left ankle wants to roll, it's trash.

I also think since I finally joined the 8.0 and up deck world, everything feels different after all those years of 7.5-7.75. (I even have some venture 5.0 on hand "just in case"). And my inconsistent free time to get used to any of these, ha
[close]

My wife wonders the same thing. "Why are you taking your skateboards apart again?!?". I don't have anyone to skate with either so she gets to hear my mad ramblings as well. I've been mostly content with the new Thunder Team Lights with stock bushings but just ordered some Tracker Axis 149's if for nothing to just rule them out. I have no idea what to expect from them, haven't tried Tracker since my last set of Ultralights in the late 80's. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Try a compression sleeve or sock on that ankle. I've got a dud push foot ankle and use a copper compression sleeve which has helped me a lot!
I don't know how you have time to do all that between focusing accounts, taking shirtless photos, and sending ben de gros wheels.

delaware county

• Rep: 24
    • www.kineticskateboarding.com avatar image
« Reply #3910 on: June 19, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »
any Venture people on here? I got a set of the blank ones and I love em, I don't know how much has changed since the Street corner to DLX thing but I set em up and left them factory tightness, does anyone use em with the bones bushings? Just curious

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #3911 on: June 19, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
any Venture people on here? I got a set of the blank ones and I love em, I don't know how much has changed since the Street corner to DLX thing but I set em up and left them factory tightness, does anyone use em with the bones bushings? Just curious

I rode only venture since i was 11 (turned 30 yesterday) i just switched to thunder, i prefer the height of them but my last pair of ventures i had bones bushings in them, they felt great but you might have to sand down the bottom bushing a bit
even the steven

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3912 on: June 19, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode only venture since i was 11 (turned 30 yesterday) i just switched to thunder, i prefer the height of them but my last pair of ventures i had bones bushings in them, they felt great but you might have to sand down the bottom bushing a bit

I have the same blank venture highs and I love them. Usually I'll have a truck crisis every 6 months or so, constantly switching between indy and thunder but I'm finally satisfied with these. Slapped some indy super soft (white) bushings and they turn so smooth and don't really wheelbite.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3913 on: June 19, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »

I’m a Venture fanboy. Have been running the 5.8 v-light highs for a while they rule...very surfy, though feel more stable than Indy, and that’s with them at the tightness that they came at as well. That said, I am also running harder bushings in the ventures so that might have something to do with it (along with the fact that they are slightly lower and stretch out your wheelbase a bit). Haven’t tried them with bones but I saw someone in the setup thread was a few pages back.

Following a conversation with Fang earlier in this thread I also set up a smaller board with some standard 5.0 lows. I grew up skating them and always loved them, so coming back to them now feels great but the highs are definitely a more “fun” ride.

Also, great username.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #3914 on: June 19, 2018, 08:09:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had supercush in some Indys back in 1990, and there was nothing better. Yes that was over a quarter of a century ago, but they were boss. But like Zen said, apparently not for Thunder. Although I think they fit them back in that era

Thunder in thunders?  This is the truck thread....there must be some other brand after market that works? Khiros?  Some longboard shit? 

The bushing thread with measurements and profiles....weights....this is what we need....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3915 on: June 19, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »
Expand Quote

"Where were you?" @2am
"Downstairs"
"Why?"
"Oh my god"

[close]

My wife wonders the same thing. "Why are you taking your skateboards apart again?!?". I don't have anyone to skate with either so she gets to hear my mad ramblings as well. I've been mostly content with the new Thunder Team Lights with stock bushings but just ordered some Tracker Axis 149's if for nothing to just rule them out. I have no idea what to expect from them, haven't tried Tracker since my last set of Ultralights in the late 80's. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Try a compression sleeve or sock on that ankle. I've got a dud push foot ankle and use a copper compression sleeve which has helped me a lot!

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #3916 on: June 19, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »
I use either stock Thunders the army green ones or Supercush on any truck. I usually run the green (94a) Supercush . Ive ran supercush on those titanium team Thunders. I just shave them a bit to make them conical and the height on the bushing fits dead on the Thunders.

Btw the taller baseplate makes a difference. Even if its 1mm.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3917 on: June 19, 2018, 09:26:46 PM »
I use either stock Thunders the army green ones or Supercush on any truck. I usually run the green (94a) Supercush . Ive ran supercush on those titanium team Thunders. I just shave them a bit to make them conical and the height on the bushing fits dead on the Thunders.

Btw the taller baseplate makes a difference. Even if its 1mm.

If I recall, someone on the board recently went barrel bottoms on current thunders; I wonder how they worked out

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #3918 on: June 19, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I recall, someone on the board recently went barrel bottoms on current thunders; I wonder how they worked out

They might work good I just like conical on thunders because of how slim the bottom bushing seat is on thunder baseplates. I end up bending the washer if I use a barrel.  I weigh 255 so i tend to fuck up up washers.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3919 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »

Hi! I had a pair of Venture 5.2 low hollows a few years ago. And they where great.
Did absolutely nothing to them. Grinded them all the way to the axels, and was bummed when i had to get new trucks. Really good trucks.
Bones bushing should fit on Ventures, but i try to avoid them because they can break.

Now if Venture just would do the 5,5 width(mid  ::).

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3920 on: June 19, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »
Hey guys I’m back, worked enough to have a car recently and been tinkering with that so my truck madness has been at bay

Loving my set up though

Thunder 149 lights with really really broken in stock yellow thunders my friend skated for me cause at the time I was going crazy with indys and krux and such while he got them nice and worn in

As much as I hate silvers I wanna try them for a day just to see how do some odd balls ride them?? From my memory they were like a worse venture low

Maybe I’ll finally get some destructos haha

yes

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3921 on: June 20, 2018, 04:17:17 AM »
Hey guys I’m back, worked enough to have a car recently and been tinkering with that so my truck madness has been at bay

Loving my set up though

Thunder 149 lights with really really broken in stock yellow thunders my friend skated for me cause at the time I was going crazy with indys and krux and such while he got them nice and worn in

As much as I hate silvers I wanna try them for a day just to see how do some odd balls ride them?? From my memory they were like a worse venture low

Maybe I’ll finally get some destructos haha

Hi there Rob.
If you like Thunder, minilogo and much more ;D. Might be that Destructo`s are not for you.
Just guessing. I had a set of Destructo 5,5 MID. And they definetly were not mid. And i just checked that Bertrand`s spredsheet. The Blogspot thing. And there they are set at 54,5mm central axle.
I remember comparing them to my Indy stg11 149, and they were as tall.
I liked more my Indy`s.
But it is personal preference of course.
Wery good buildquality though.

Was it so that they come frome the same foundry as Theeve maybe?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3922 on: June 20, 2018, 04:24:38 AM »
yeah if you're enjoying thunders i wouldn't go anywhere near destructo or silvers. had a pair of both in 2013 and they were always just stiff as a motherfucker. i'd say the silvers were marginally better but there's still barely any places stocking either of them here in the UK and for the price i'd rather buy thunders.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3923 on: June 20, 2018, 06:09:12 AM »
Wife busted me putting my Indys back on last night  :-X
She was all "it's storming out anyway?!?!"
"Could dry up, super humid out there, These were built to grind yo". (It rained through the night)

Worst part is how she repeatedly has said, since my madness started "I dunno why you mess around, you're just gonna use Indys again". She is wise beyond her years, I should probably just stick to Indys and stop messing around. I definitely like stage 11 over 10 (which I did like though), and 1000% over stage 9. Almost need a note by my basement door that says "face it, you're an Indy guy. Built to grind, Fuck the rest, etc."

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3924 on: June 20, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
Epiphany: Have a clear out.
Go back to the old days when you had one set up that was ridden till death, and sometimes beyond.
Consumerism is a bottomless pit and no amount of unobtainium axles or aftermarket hypercooled superconductive bushings will fill.
You like Indy, you be you and own that shit.
You like Thunder, cool, you stick with that.
I am away to find my box of used trucks and accoutrements disperse them to the great unwashed at the local pit.
Farewell Truck set up thread, it has been emotional but I think it is best for us to part ways now.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3925 on: June 20, 2018, 07:00:07 AM »
Good call. I only own one deck so I'm working on that. Boards last me way longer than they used to, so I don't really need spares. Unfortunately (that I don't wear boards out like I used to).

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3926 on: June 20, 2018, 09:58:42 AM »
All of my problems would be solved if Venture just came out with a 5.5. I skate 8.25s now, and 5.2's are too small, and I can't stand the feeling of 8.5" trucks on an 8.25" deck.  So I'm on Thunder 148s until that day comes. I don't hate them, but it's not the same.

ungzilla

« Reply #3927 on: June 20, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »
i was sick of bones medium bushings blowing out constantly, in thunder 149 high lights. so i put some doh doh's medium in there. i added a standard bottom washer, and still using the small bones top washer. i don't notice any difference. i never skated them with the default bushings. hopefully these don't explode after a week.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3928 on: June 20, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »
I quite like bones bushings in thunder, I noted that if you use both washers it's not a big of a deal...but they're failed on me after 6 months.

Now I got krux bushings left from my old krux is super stable, but the turning is not quick at all.

So next bones again or thunder? Ahahhahah

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #3929 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
I don't really understand the need to put aftermarket bushings in Thunders, the stock ones have always performed well/held up great for me at least. I've switched back from my 5.2 Venture V Light hi's to standard Thunder 147s, and what I'm thinking is Ventures are undoubtedly better for grind clearance and slides/stability while Thunders feel better for flip tricks/overall board control. Still can't pick a definitive side...