Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 295891 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4020 on: June 30, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »
I was strolling through the shop today and....

Did indy really under the radar modify the stage 11? The hangar looks a bit different

Like theyíre supposed to turn faster to compete with ace

They look more ace like at the stem and a little more leaned back but idk

I need confirmation on this.

nothing has changed.

10/4 over and out.

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4021 on: July 04, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
Epiphany: Have a clear out.

Slapped together some 144 forged indy hollows: riptide cups and 88a Indy aftermarkets (barrel bottoms+stock washer, shaved top+bones washer) to face off against the Theeves...which only feel right with bones softs but after a while, the softs mush out (my old mediums feel like they've turned to stone after a period of no use and felt terrible).

I just put some blood red conical 88s on my 149s. It was 100 degrees and those things were turning. What does barrel do that conical does not? I am injured so I didnít Ollie just cruised. Is there a balance issue with conical on tricks? I also have aftermarket barrels is 90, but Iím diggin the blood red color.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4022 on: July 04, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
https://shopmonkey.wordpress.com/2018/03/20/hi-kids-im-a-bushing/
(longboarding link but it's applicable)

Basically, conicals will provide a sharper turn, faster. The shape is less supportive around the center of the bushing, therefore providing less resistance when turning.

Barrels provide more stability at the cost of turning ability (compared to conical) and eases wheelbite a bit.

Indy perk up with conicals (probably why everyone thinks bones are the best in them).

I ride pretty loose and the red conicals in indys give me the wobbles just pushing; slightly less with the barrels but the 88a duro still allows me to get a loosey turn going.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:47:26 PM by Xen »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4023 on: July 04, 2018, 09:21:53 PM »
this is worth a look for some of you

SK8-CHX

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4024 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:47 PM »
this is worth a look for some of you

That guy is clearly a genius. And a ripper. Heís really handsome too.

IHOP

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4025 on: July 05, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
wow old indys really do look so much better, and I assume skate better too.
only in skateboarding is putting an adult in a position where they might have to actually work for their income "ruining their life"  ::)

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4026 on: July 05, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »
wow old indys really do look so much better, and I assume skate better too.

I wish they brought them back for a limited time

The ones that rowley skates cause I really wanna know how good they are
yes

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4027 on: July 06, 2018, 02:57:30 AM »
something about those lower kingpins and the flushness of the bolt really gets me going

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4028 on: July 06, 2018, 01:43:49 PM »
Rowley is on Stage 7's and 8's I think.  Wanna know how they skate? Like a heavier, kinda slower turning version of the current Stage 11.  I had them back in the day when they first came out and always kinda found them to be blah. I guess back then everyone was just riding super tight trucks and not turning, so they weren't the best for that.

On the other hand I just got some ACE 44's, didn't even adjust the kingpin nut outta the box and bam- perfect!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4029 on: July 06, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
I bought some Stage 8s at a yard sale recently and wasn't feeling them. They had a conical lower bushing which made them kinda tippy but they didn't turn that great. The kingpin is closer to 90 degrees than any other trucks in my basement so a weak turning angle is unsurprising.

I rode 7s back in the day (probably during my peak gap period) but I was dogshit at flip tricks and when I switched to Ventures and put the 7s on a 2nd board I remember them feeling tank-like.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #4030 on: July 07, 2018, 12:54:34 AM »
Woah thanks for all your feedback guys

I guess they arenít worth the curiosity

Canít wait for those new indy lows though

For now Iím gonna enjoy these titanium 148 lights thanks to the sale gear thread, they are damned light. I thought I only got 1 truck and bam. A pair.

Also went to the usual cousin of zumiez(vans store) to see if they have anything ridiculously on sale and boy was I lucky

Got a set of sun burnt Evan smith conicals 99a f4

They had like 3 sets but all with some variation of I guess sun burn and I just kooked it and got the less burnt looking set

Only $20 for a set of f4 conicals what a deal!

Iím still kinda itching to try a set of destructo d2( the ones that supposedly arto rides) and the cheapest of cheap, some industrials just because doesnít willy santos ride them and I feel they would be a good middle of venture and Indy

Sorta turns like an indy sorta stable like a venture probably
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4031 on: July 07, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »

For now Iím gonna enjoy these titanium 148 lights thanks to the sale gear thread, they are damned light. I thought I only got 1 truck and bam. A pair.

Also went to the usual cousin of zumiez(vans store) to see if they have anything ridiculously on sale and boy was I lucky

They had like 3 sets but all with some variation of I guess sun burn and I just kooked it and got the less burnt looking set

Iím still kinda itching to try a set of destructo d2( the ones that supposedly arto rides) and the cheapest of cheap, some industrials just because doesnít willy santos ride them and I feel they would be a good middle of venture and Indy

Arto rides Indys and Willy rides Tristar trucks

SK8-CHX

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4032 on: July 07, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Having just gone through that set, I donít think the stage 8ís skate all that differently than whatís out now. They feel softer when grinding and seem to wear faster but the turn is similar.

The Ace hanger/stage 8 Indy baseplate/Krux kingpin combo is perfection for me. I pretty much only skate transition and curbs though. I do zero flatground/flip tricks. Itís all about the turn and the grind for me.

Diocletian

« Reply #4033 on: July 07, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
I canít speak on Stage 8ís but the 7ís are definitely a way better geometry than the current Stage 11ís. Much snappier, not quite as good as the Ace (Stage 3) geometry, but pretty close. They are indeed tanks. Even with some Krux pins, the 146mm Stage 7ís felt nearly as heavy as a set of 159ís.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #4034 on: July 07, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
Had (possibly? Possibly bearings not in wheels all the way, have not checked yet) axle slip on Indys stage 11. Anyone had this on Indys?
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

palelight

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4035 on: July 07, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »
I canít speak on Stage 8ís but the 7ís are definitely a way better geometry than the current Stage 11ís. Much snappier, not quite as good as the Ace (Stage 3) geometry, but pretty close. They are indeed tanks. Even with some Krux pins, the 146mm Stage 7ís felt nearly as heavy as a set of 159ís.

It's been a while since I tooled around on a set of 7's but would this have anything to do with conicals coming standard on 7's back in the day? I had some 88d conicals on a set of 11's and thought they turned pretty damn close to the 7's (like you said, snappier, once you get rid of the barrel bushing). The height/turn/stability all felt very similar. 

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #4036 on: July 07, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »

Woah what the heck are tristar trucks??

Yeah I noticed arto does ride indys but when he was doing destructo he had those 149 d2 trucks

It's been a while since I tooled around on a set of 7's but would this have anything to do with conicals coming standard on 7's back in the day? I had some 88d conicals on a set of 11's and thought they turned pretty damn close to the 7's (like you said, snappier, once you get rid of the barrel bushing). The height/turn/stability all felt very similar. 

Dang even back then they were that tall?

I thought stage 7 would be like 52/53mm height and be  smoother ace
yes

palelight

« Reply #4037 on: July 07, 2018, 05:33:59 PM »
I'm pretty positive 7 and 8's were 55mm (I could be wrong, worth looking into). I remember when I was a kid (late 90's) that was a reason a bunch of friends rode Ventures and Thunders. 9's and 10's, along with their dogshit turning, were definitely lower. Sort why I never understood the complaint about 11's being too tall, insofar as people wanting Indy's to be "how they used to."

edit: Jenkem article talks about 7's and 8's being 55mm. Could be wrong.
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4038 on: July 07, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »

Yeah I noticed arto does ride indys but when he was doing destructo he had those 149 d2 trucks

I know a dude skating them right now and he digs them but he's also a big Willy fan so that could be corrupting his judgement

http://www.selectsk8.com/tristar-trucks/

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4039 on: July 08, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
Will Krux kingpins work on Ace with stock bushings?

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #4040 on: July 08, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »

I guess they aren’t worth the curiosity

Can’t wait for those new indy lows though

For now I’m gonna enjoy these titanium 148 lights thanks to the sale gear thread, they are damned light. I thought I only got 1 truck and bam. A pair.

I’m still kinda itching to try a set of destructo d2( the ones that supposedly arto rides) and the cheapest of cheap, some industrials just because doesn’t willy santos ride them and I feel they would be a good middle of venture and Indy

I can’t speak on Stage 8’s but the 7’s are definitely a way better geometry than the current Stage 11’s. Much snappier, not quite as good as the Ace (Stage 3) geometry, but pretty close. They are indeed tanks. Even with some Krux pins, the 146mm Stage 7’s felt nearly as heavy as a set of 159’s.

I know a dude skating them right now and he digs them but he's also a big Willy fan so that could be corrupting his judgement

http://www.selectsk8.com/tristar-trucks/

Hey they don’t look too shabby, might try a set when I’m out of this small debt ahaha

yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4041 on: July 08, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »

Pretty sure this was a slap staple for a minute.....maybe krux bushings too....the stocks should work fine.....

Diocletian

« Reply #4042 on: July 08, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
Stage 7ís are definitely only like 53-53.5mm tall.

palelight

« Reply #4043 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Stage 7ís are definitely only like 53-53.5mm tall.

I stand corrected. Fucking Jenkem.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4044 on: July 08, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »

Pretty sure this was a slap staple for a minute.....maybe krux bushings too....the stocks should work fine.....

Yes, but don't expect them to be loose; Ace bushings, especially the tops are tall, krux kingpin is short (it was, after all, designed for the downlow model). You can shave down the top bushing if you need them looser.

ultrabra

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4045 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:01 AM »
 New review on 148`s.
I guess people should read this tread instead ::)

http://www.weartested.com/thunder-trucks-titanium-lights-148/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4046 on: July 09, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
How does the titanium axel affect the grinding?  When this guy says it I question if he actually knows anything about trucks.....if any of you guys say it though.....my wheels start turning. 

Yeah..this thread annahilates the review.....

these are team titaniums no?  OG base...

Sad Hippo

« Reply #4047 on: July 09, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
Yea that guyís an idiot.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4048 on: July 09, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Decided to hydro dip some extra Theeve hangars I had lying around, I dig the way they came out.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4049 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
New review on 148`s.
I guess people should read this tread instead ::)

http://www.weartested.com/thunder-trucks-titanium-lights-148/

Well, that was a shit review.

"Overall, the trucks were shredded for about 5 months, and the quality of the titanium axle helped increase the lifespan of the truck." no pic showcasing that after 5 months he was grinding said ti axle...

"It is a truck that is a bit higher than most"