Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220825 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3990 on: July 06, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
I bought some Stage 8s at a yard sale recently and wasn't feeling them. They had a conical lower bushing which made them kinda tippy but they didn't turn that great. The kingpin is closer to 90 degrees than any other trucks in my basement so a weak turning angle is unsurprising.

I rode 7s back in the day (probably during my peak gap period) but I was dogshit at flip tricks and when I switched to Ventures and put the 7s on a 2nd board I remember them feeling tank-like.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3991 on: July 07, 2018, 12:54:34 AM »
Woah thanks for all your feedback guys

I guess they aren’t worth the curiosity

Can’t wait for those new indy lows though

For now I’m gonna enjoy these titanium 148 lights thanks to the sale gear thread, they are damned light. I thought I only got 1 truck and bam. A pair.

Also went to the usual cousin of zumiez(vans store) to see if they have anything ridiculously on sale and boy was I lucky

Got a set of sun burnt Evan smith conicals 99a f4

They had like 3 sets but all with some variation of I guess sun burn and I just kooked it and got the less burnt looking set

Only $20 for a set of f4 conicals what a deal!

I’m still kinda itching to try a set of destructo d2( the ones that supposedly arto rides) and the cheapest of cheap, some industrials just because doesn’t willy santos ride them and I feel they would be a good middle of venture and Indy

Sorta turns like an indy sorta stable like a venture probably
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3992 on: July 07, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »

For now I’m gonna enjoy these titanium 148 lights thanks to the sale gear thread, they are damned light. I thought I only got 1 truck and bam. A pair.

Also went to the usual cousin of zumiez(vans store) to see if they have anything ridiculously on sale and boy was I lucky

They had like 3 sets but all with some variation of I guess sun burn and I just kooked it and got the less burnt looking set

I’m still kinda itching to try a set of destructo d2( the ones that supposedly arto rides) and the cheapest of cheap, some industrials just because doesn’t willy santos ride them and I feel they would be a good middle of venture and Indy

Arto rides Indys and Willy rides Tristar trucks

SK8-CHX

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3993 on: July 07, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Having just gone through that set, I don’t think the stage 8’s skate all that differently than what’s out now. They feel softer when grinding and seem to wear faster but the turn is similar.

The Ace hanger/stage 8 Indy baseplate/Krux kingpin combo is perfection for me. I pretty much only skate transition and curbs though. I do zero flatground/flip tricks. It’s all about the turn and the grind for me.

Diocletian

« Reply #3994 on: July 07, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
I can’t speak on Stage 8’s but the 7’s are definitely a way better geometry than the current Stage 11’s. Much snappier, not quite as good as the Ace (Stage 3) geometry, but pretty close. They are indeed tanks. Even with some Krux pins, the 146mm Stage 7’s felt nearly as heavy as a set of 159’s.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3995 on: July 07, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
Had (possibly? Possibly bearings not in wheels all the way, have not checked yet) axle slip on Indys stage 11. Anyone had this on Indys?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3996 on: July 07, 2018, 05:08:13 PM »
I can’t speak on Stage 8’s but the 7’s are definitely a way better geometry than the current Stage 11’s. Much snappier, not quite as good as the Ace (Stage 3) geometry, but pretty close. They are indeed tanks. Even with some Krux pins, the 146mm Stage 7’s felt nearly as heavy as a set of 159’s.

It's been a while since I tooled around on a set of 7's but would this have anything to do with conicals coming standard on 7's back in the day? I had some 88d conicals on a set of 11's and thought they turned pretty damn close to the 7's (like you said, snappier, once you get rid of the barrel bushing). The height/turn/stability all felt very similar. 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3997 on: July 07, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Woah what the heck are tristar trucks??

Yeah I noticed arto does ride indys but when he was doing destructo he had those 149 d2 trucks

Expand Quote
[close]

It's been a while since I tooled around on a set of 7's but would this have anything to do with conicals coming standard on 7's back in the day? I had some 88d conicals on a set of 11's and thought they turned pretty damn close to the 7's (like you said, snappier, once you get rid of the barrel bushing). The height/turn/stability all felt very similar. 

Dang even back then they were that tall?

I thought stage 7 would be like 52/53mm height and be  smoother ace
yes

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3998 on: July 07, 2018, 05:33:59 PM »
I'm pretty positive 7 and 8's were 55mm (I could be wrong, worth looking into). I remember when I was a kid (late 90's) that was a reason a bunch of friends rode Ventures and Thunders. 9's and 10's, along with their dogshit turning, were definitely lower. Sort why I never understood the complaint about 11's being too tall, insofar as people wanting Indy's to be "how they used to."

edit: Jenkem article talks about 7's and 8's being 55mm. Could be wrong.
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3999 on: July 07, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I noticed arto does ride indys but when he was doing destructo he had those 149 d2 trucks

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know a dude skating them right now and he digs them but he's also a big Willy fan so that could be corrupting his judgement

http://www.selectsk8.com/tristar-trucks/

ballintoohard

« Reply #4000 on: July 08, 2018, 10:12:23 AM »
Will Krux kingpins work on Ace with stock bushings?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4001 on: July 08, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know a dude skating them right now and he digs them but he's also a big Willy fan so that could be corrupting his judgement

http://www.selectsk8.com/tristar-trucks/

Hey they don’t look too shabby, might try a set when I’m out of this small debt ahaha

yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4002 on: July 08, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »

Pretty sure this was a slap staple for a minute.....maybe krux bushings too....the stocks should work fine.....

Diocletian

« Reply #4003 on: July 08, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
Stage 7’s are definitely only like 53-53.5mm tall.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4004 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
Stage 7’s are definitely only like 53-53.5mm tall.

I stand corrected. Fucking Jenkem.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4005 on: July 08, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty sure this was a slap staple for a minute.....maybe krux bushings too....the stocks should work fine.....

Yes, but don't expect them to be loose; Ace bushings, especially the tops are tall, krux kingpin is short (it was, after all, designed for the downlow model). You can shave down the top bushing if you need them looser.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4006 on: July 09, 2018, 01:28:01 AM »
 New review on 148`s.
I guess people should read this tread instead ::)

http://www.weartested.com/thunder-trucks-titanium-lights-148/

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4007 on: July 09, 2018, 07:35:08 AM »
How does the titanium axel affect the grinding?  When this guy says it I question if he actually knows anything about trucks.....if any of you guys say it though.....my wheels start turning. 

Yeah..this thread annahilates the review.....

these are team titaniums no?  OG base...

Sad Hippo

« Reply #4008 on: July 09, 2018, 08:02:39 AM »
Yea that guy’s an idiot.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4009 on: July 09, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Decided to hydro dip some extra Theeve hangars I had lying around, I dig the way they came out.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlBUR5xlu7w/

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4010 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
New review on 148`s.

Well, that was a shit review.

"Overall, the trucks were shredded for about 5 months, and the quality of the titanium axle helped increase the lifespan of the truck." no pic showcasing that after 5 months he was grinding said ti axle...

"It is a truck that is a bit higher than most"

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #4011 on: July 09, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
Expand Quote
New review on 148`s.

[close]

Well, that was a shit review.

"Overall, the trucks were shredded for about 5 months, and the quality of the titanium axle helped increase the lifespan of the truck." no pic showcasing that after 5 months he was grinding said ti axle...

"It is a truck that is a bit higher than most"

Maybe I dont know shit but what is going on here? Unless he was grinding 8hrs/day @ 3rd&Army for 5 months the only axle he's seeing is out the side of the wheels.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4012 on: July 09, 2018, 10:27:56 PM »
So I tried 3 boards today that were all 8.5 with 14.25 WB. Hockey Fitz with 159 Indy TiTs, Colony with 149 TiTs, and red curbs Shop board (clutch) with ace 44s. Indys both had 52 mm wheels and the aces had 53/54s. At first I was convinced the indys were turning much quicker but then I realized it was mostly because they were in my hot car all day. Indy setups definitely made my ollies feel more floaty. But I ended up getting less wheelbite with the aces even tho they had bigger wheels. Slappies were easier on the 159s and 44s. Kickflips were easier on the 44s and 149s. Backside flips felt like they wouldn’t even happen on the 159s. I decided I’ll take the weirder/slower grinds to gain the benefit of more stability and less wheelbite with aces on my 8.5 setups (going back to 52 mm wheels). I will be sticking with 159 TiTs on my bigger setups (currently polar 1991 shape) with 52s for easier slappies and less weight on a bigger board. My madness is over for now, but I’ll be in here everyday regardless.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

ultrabra

« Reply #4013 on: July 09, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
 For all you review junkies out there, like me. Here are some actually good ones IMO.
Maybe youve seen them allready, but:

https://styleiscontent.wordpress.com/category/reviews/

This got me to buy another set of Tensors(5,5 lo mag), aah this madness. When i got the package i thought there was only one truck in the box. They are really crazy light.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4014 on: July 10, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
Because of this thread, I just got myself a pair of Ace 44’s.  Haven’t skated them yet but they look cool  8)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

ultrabra

« Reply #4015 on: July 10, 2018, 10:23:46 AM »
Because of this thread, I just got myself a pair of Ace 44’s.  Haven’t skated them yet but they look cool  8)

Because of this tread i got myself Ace44 and Thunder 148`s.
Ace are really nice. And i finally got my thunders working.
Stock bushings were just waaaaay too soft.
But i have to say thank you to all of you, perhaps.

ballintoohard

« Reply #4016 on: July 10, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
I also got some Ace 44's recently. Didn't even adjust them and put them on the Polar I was riding and it was instantly perfect. Somehow my manuals/nose manuals improved dramatically and everything felt poppier.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4017 on: July 11, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »
Pondering putting bones bushings in my thunders. Is this a good combo? What do I need to do / not do ? Washers etc. Just want to try something new

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4018 on: July 11, 2018, 06:05:42 PM »
I got the impression the heights were off....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4019 on: July 11, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Pondering putting bones bushings in my thunders. Is this a good combo? What do I need to do / not do ? Washers etc. Just want to try something new

Compared to Thunders the Bones top is too tall and the Bones bottom is too short. Plus the Bones' diameter is a fair bit larger than Thunders. Thunder aftermarkets are where it's at. Plus you could buy two different duro's to fuck around with for the price of one set of Bones.