Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 294864 times)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4080 on: July 13, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »
I found on granite they were a bit sticky.....waxed concrete they were great....

Gonna put it out there....anyone interested in the 8.5 tih's?  I'll sell my set. 

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4081 on: July 13, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
I found on granite they were a bit sticky.....waxed concrete they were great....

Gonna put it out there....anyone interested in the 8.5 tih's?  I'll sell my set.

how much shipped to ca

KingKook

« Reply #4082 on: July 14, 2018, 08:24:26 AM »
Is Indy making suspension trucks, or just suspension trucks stickers?

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • THEY OWE
« Reply #4083 on: July 14, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
that's the sticker they send you in your box when everyone finds out you've got a thing for swastikas and they need to stop paying you for a minute

KingKook

« Reply #4084 on: July 14, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
that's the sticker they send you in your box when everyone finds out you've got a thing for swastikas and they need to stop paying you for a minute
Hahaha so this must be the new Jason Jesee sticker. 

Just wanted to see some pics if there was a new truck coming out. Ive seen the other suspension trucks and am mildly interested in what Indy would do with the idea.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:33:35 AM by KingKook »

hangontoyourego

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4085 on: July 14, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »

Gonna try some doh dohs that my friend gave me . Not sure whatís stage Indy this is with the hollow truck but I dig em . Feel lame form going from Indy to thunder back to Indy cause I got an 8.25 deck and I donít have smaller thunders . Oh well
"There's too much caffeine
In your bloodstream
And a lack of real spice
In your life"

Weartested Reviews

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4086 on: July 15, 2018, 12:22:07 AM »
We did a new Thunder Trucks checkout/review

http://www.weartested.com/thunder-trucks-titanium-lights-148/

tzhangdox

« Reply #4087 on: July 15, 2018, 12:55:50 AM »
We did a new Thunder Trucks checkout/review

http://www.weartested.com/thunder-trucks-titanium-lights-148/

"The truckís axel is made out of titanium, which makes it a bit harder to wear down through grinds, compared to trucks made out of steel alloys."

??????

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4088 on: July 15, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »
I tried Theeve and in my opinion they are most similar to Venture.  The most noticeable characteristic was the way they turn to a point and then stop.  A pro of that is that it can limit wheel bite, but it mostly sucks.  It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4089 on: July 15, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »
Doesn't Theeve shorten your wheelbase significantly (like Ace) while Venture stretches it (like Thunder)?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -184
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4090 on: July 15, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
I tried Theeve and in my opinion they are most similar to Venture.  The most noticeable characteristic was the way they turn to a point and then stop.  A pro of that is that it can limit wheel bite, but it mostly sucks.  It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.

Loosen em up a bit. In my experience the oval yoke can handle them being more loose than what you'd typically skate while still preventing wheelbite. I ride theeves looser than anything else and they're amongst my favorites. They do kind of feel like ventures in some aspects though, although for me its more how the hanger seems to lock in. There is definitely a wheelbase difference tho (Theeves shorten, ventures widen)

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -184
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4091 on: July 15, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
I'm also back on my Thunder 149 Ti's w/ cast baseplate and krux kingpin. I'd been busy with work and we've had weird weather the last few weeks so I wasn't skating as regularly and was getting rusty. I had some flip trick trouble with my beloved ventures so I switched back to my thunders and they came back instantly. Let's hope I can stick with these for a while but let's be honest, I'll probably flip flop to something else after a couple off days in a row

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #4092 on: July 16, 2018, 02:03:47 AM »

Isn't this pretty much as old as Independent trucks? I remember seeing that in some old ass ads or something wondering WTF they mean with the suspension thing. I figured they just don't know what they're talking about, which wouldn't surprise me one bit TBH.

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4093 on: July 16, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »

Isn't this pretty much as old as Independent trucks? I remember seeing that in some old ass ads or something wondering WTF they mean with the suspension thing. I figured they just don't know what they're talking about, which wouldn't surprise me one bit TBH.
Yep, OG indy cross logo. They dropped the word suspension later.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4094 on: July 16, 2018, 05:49:41 AM »
Is it to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that the logo is not stolen third reich iconography?
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4095 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:50 AM »
It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.
Having ridden Theeves for the last 5 years, I have no idea what you mean by this unless you have your trucks so tight that you can't physically put enough pressure to get them to wheelbite. If I dip in to a carve on theeves, I turn sharper than I can even lean, to the point where my wheels start to slide...
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4096 on: July 16, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
I skated theeves a bunch and they felt to me like they turned shaper than an Indy.....I put them between an Indy and an Ace....not in the thunder/venture class....

I'm also back on my Thunder 149 Ti's w/ cast baseplate and krux kingpin. I'd been busy with work and we've had weird weather the last few weeks so I wasn't skating as regularly and was getting rusty. I had some flip trick trouble with my beloved ventures so I switched back to my thunders and they came back instantly. Let's hope I can stick with these for a while but let's be honest, I'll probably flip flop to something else after a couple off days in a row

I'll eventually build up to the thunder 148 titanium w. Krux but I'm just enjoying the team hollow stock set up right now....when the bushings get to mushy the madness will begin. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4097 on: July 16, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.
Having ridden Theeves for the last 5 years, I have no idea what you mean by this unless you have your trucks so tight that you can't physically put enough pressure to get them to wheelbite. If I dip in to a carve on theeves, I turn sharper than I can even lean, to the point where my wheels start to slide...

Never had that problem with Theeves either but then again, I ride loose with soft bushings.

I skated theeves a bunch and they felt to me like they turned shaper than an Indy.....I put them between an Indy and an Ace....not in the thunder/venture class....

Exactly. They're also way more stable on center than either, almost like a Thunder.

I'll eventually build up to the thunder 148 titanium w. Krux but I'm just enjoying the team hollow stock set up right now....when the bushings get to mushy the madness will begin.

I fucked around with my Team Hollows and had a blast, arguably due to the height I think. But the extended WB on a longer WB deck muddled things a bit compared to Theeves on the same WB.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4098 on: July 16, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »
I love how light the 148 titaniumís are

They are damned light
yes

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • Stuffed Animal Serial Killer
« Reply #4099 on: July 19, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
I run this on thunders, if you are likely to want to tinker use JB weld or epoxy resin.
I had an educated guess at tightness (bolt flush) and used a stubby flathead to hold the nut whilst tightening.

Did you have a vice or something? I tried using a regular screwdriver and it was a pain in the ass.  Then I got JB weld and it still didn't work (when I torqued it, the JB weld just busted).  I bought a stubby flathead and it is super awkward to hold it in place and turn the kingpin.  Is there a specific place you held the screwdriver or special technique?
I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4100 on: July 19, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »
Is there a ... special technique?
I use super glue for mine - strongest formula - liquid first, then the gel.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4101 on: July 19, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Awesome, thanks.  Do you apply it to the underside of the nut for the liquid part, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel? 

How long did you give it to set Firebert?

I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4102 on: July 20, 2018, 08:16:43 AM »
Awesome, thanks.  Do you apply it to the underside of the nut for the liquid part, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel? 

I put some on the sides of the nut, using the old kingpin to pull the nut down into place, if the nut doesn't touch anything on the sides, just smear some on the bottom and make sure it holds still while you take the pin out (you don't want to leave it in and accidentally get it stuck- I've done that) -and like you said, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel.

I leave it for 24hrs to be safe. Gel takes a lot longer.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:30:51 AM by Firebert »

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4103 on: July 23, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »

I put some on the sides of the nut, using the old kingpin to pull the nut down into place, if the nut doesn't touch anything on the sides, just smear some on the bottom and make sure it holds still while you take the pin out (you don't want to leave it in and accidentally get it stuck- I've done that) -and like you said, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel.

I leave it for 24hrs to be safe. Gel takes a lot longer.

I've tried every option available and accept the fact that this set of 149's will forever be ultra loose.  Fortunately I have the nut on (a little bit under being flush).  Ceste la vie 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4104 on: July 23, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »

I tend to use JB Weld's steelstick or something similar, let it sit for an hour then go skating, it's never failed with that curing time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:25:01 AM by Xen »

kentrock

• Rep: -66
« Reply #4105 on: July 24, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
Is it to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that the logo is not stolen third reich iconography?

Indy has always been a blatant racist company giving better sponsorship deals to whites than minorities once they began giving sponsorships to non-whites.

blo0mz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4106 on: July 24, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

tzhangdox

« Reply #4107 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

thunder hollows with a forged baseplate. Lighter and lower

kentrock

• Rep: -66
« Reply #4108 on: July 24, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »

Independents are the highest and heaviest truck you can get, besides being nazi fashists.  you would be better off with almost anything else.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4109 on: July 24, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »

thunder hollows with a forged baseplate. Lighter and lower

Thunders or Ventures are your best bet. Light, low/stable and can be ridden tight without defeating the trucks defining feature (people riding tight Indys for example).

"I run hard bushings and ride pretty tight, I love how indys turn."  ::)