Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220596 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4050 on: July 15, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »
Doesn't Theeve shorten your wheelbase significantly (like Ace) while Venture stretches it (like Thunder)?

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4051 on: July 15, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
I tried Theeve and in my opinion they are most similar to Venture.  The most noticeable characteristic was the way they turn to a point and then stop.  A pro of that is that it can limit wheel bite, but it mostly sucks.  It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.

Loosen em up a bit. In my experience the oval yoke can handle them being more loose than what you'd typically skate while still preventing wheelbite. I ride theeves looser than anything else and they're amongst my favorites. They do kind of feel like ventures in some aspects though, although for me its more how the hanger seems to lock in. There is definitely a wheelbase difference tho (Theeves shorten, ventures widen)

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4052 on: July 15, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
I'm also back on my Thunder 149 Ti's w/ cast baseplate and krux kingpin. I'd been busy with work and we've had weird weather the last few weeks so I wasn't skating as regularly and was getting rusty. I had some flip trick trouble with my beloved ventures so I switched back to my thunders and they came back instantly. Let's hope I can stick with these for a while but let's be honest, I'll probably flip flop to something else after a couple off days in a row

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4053 on: July 16, 2018, 02:03:47 AM »
Is Indy making suspension trucks, or just suspension trucks stickers?

Isn't this pretty much as old as Independent trucks? I remember seeing that in some old ass ads or something wondering WTF they mean with the suspension thing. I figured they just don't know what they're talking about, which wouldn't surprise me one bit TBH.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #4054 on: July 16, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Is Indy making suspension trucks, or just suspension trucks stickers?
[close]

Isn't this pretty much as old as Independent trucks? I remember seeing that in some old ass ads or something wondering WTF they mean with the suspension thing. I figured they just don't know what they're talking about, which wouldn't surprise me one bit TBH.
Yep, OG indy cross logo. They dropped the word suspension later.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4055 on: July 16, 2018, 05:49:41 AM »
Is it to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that the logo is not stolen third reich iconography?
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4056 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:50 AM »
It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.
Having ridden Theeves for the last 5 years, I have no idea what you mean by this unless you have your trucks so tight that you can't physically put enough pressure to get them to wheelbite. If I dip in to a carve on theeves, I turn sharper than I can even lean, to the point where my wheels start to slide...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #4057 on: July 16, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
I skated theeves a bunch and they felt to me like they turned shaper than an Indy.....I put them between an Indy and an Ace....not in the thunder/venture class....

I'm also back on my Thunder 149 Ti's w/ cast baseplate and krux kingpin. I'd been busy with work and we've had weird weather the last few weeks so I wasn't skating as regularly and was getting rusty. I had some flip trick trouble with my beloved ventures so I switched back to my thunders and they came back instantly. Let's hope I can stick with these for a while but let's be honest, I'll probably flip flop to something else after a couple off days in a row

I'll eventually build up to the thunder 148 titanium w. Krux but I'm just enjoying the team hollow stock set up right now....when the bushings get to mushy the madness will begin. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4058 on: July 16, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
It feels awful when you need to turn more and nothing comes.
[close]
Having ridden Theeves for the last 5 years, I have no idea what you mean by this unless you have your trucks so tight that you can't physically put enough pressure to get them to wheelbite. If I dip in to a carve on theeves, I turn sharper than I can even lean, to the point where my wheels start to slide...

Never had that problem with Theeves either but then again, I ride loose with soft bushings.

I skated theeves a bunch and they felt to me like they turned shaper than an Indy.....I put them between an Indy and an Ace....not in the thunder/venture class....

Exactly. They're also way more stable on center than either, almost like a Thunder.

Expand Quote
[close]

I'll eventually build up to the thunder 148 titanium w. Krux but I'm just enjoying the team hollow stock set up right now....when the bushings get to mushy the madness will begin.

I fucked around with my Team Hollows and had a blast, arguably due to the height I think. But the extended WB on a longer WB deck muddled things a bit compared to Theeves on the same WB.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4059 on: July 16, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »
I love how light the 148 titanium’s are

They are damned light
yes

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1534
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #4060 on: July 19, 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
I run this on thunders, if you are likely to want to tinker use JB weld or epoxy resin.
I had an educated guess at tightness (bolt flush) and used a stubby flathead to hold the nut whilst tightening.

Did you have a vice or something? I tried using a regular screwdriver and it was a pain in the ass.  Then I got JB weld and it still didn't work (when I torqued it, the JB weld just busted).  I bought a stubby flathead and it is super awkward to hold it in place and turn the kingpin.  Is there a specific place you held the screwdriver or special technique?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4061 on: July 19, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »
Is there a ... special technique?
I use super glue for mine - strongest formula - liquid first, then the gel.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4062 on: July 19, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Awesome, thanks.  Do you apply it to the underside of the nut for the liquid part, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel? 

How long did you give it to set Firebert?

Never forget:

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4063 on: July 20, 2018, 08:16:43 AM »
Awesome, thanks.  Do you apply it to the underside of the nut for the liquid part, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel? 

I put some on the sides of the nut, using the old kingpin to pull the nut down into place, if the nut doesn't touch anything on the sides, just smear some on the bottom and make sure it holds still while you take the pin out (you don't want to leave it in and accidentally get it stuck- I've done that) -and like you said, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel.

I leave it for 24hrs to be safe. Gel takes a lot longer.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:30:51 AM by Firebert »

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4064 on: July 23, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I put some on the sides of the nut, using the old kingpin to pull the nut down into place, if the nut doesn't touch anything on the sides, just smear some on the bottom and make sure it holds still while you take the pin out (you don't want to leave it in and accidentally get it stuck- I've done that) -and like you said, then fill in the space around the sides with the gel.

I leave it for 24hrs to be safe. Gel takes a lot longer.

I've tried every option available and accept the fact that this set of 149's will forever be ultra loose.  Fortunately I have the nut on (a little bit under being flush).  Ceste la vie 

Never forget:

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4065 on: July 23, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »

I tend to use JB Weld's steelstick or something similar, let it sit for an hour then go skating, it's never failed with that curing time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:25:01 AM by Xen »

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #4066 on: July 24, 2018, 10:36:29 AM »
Is it to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that the logo is not stolen third reich iconography?

Indy has always been a blatant racist company giving better sponsorship deals to whites than minorities once they began giving sponsorships to non-whites.

blo0mz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4067 on: July 24, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #4068 on: July 24, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

thunder hollows with a forged baseplate. Lighter and lower

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #4069 on: July 24, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »

Independents are the highest and heaviest truck you can get, besides being nazi fashists.  you would be better off with almost anything else.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4070 on: July 24, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thunder hollows with a forged baseplate. Lighter and lower

Thunders or Ventures are your best bet. Light, low/stable and can be ridden tight without defeating the trucks defining feature (people riding tight Indys for example).

"I run hard bushings and ride pretty tight, I love how indys turn."  ::)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4071 on: July 25, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »

Only 2 top choices for light and low

Thunder and mini logo

The only 2 trucks I have on either or of my 2 setups

I use the mini logo trucks for my bad shaped decks(girl, flip, flat nothing special boards)

And thunders on my good decks(real, Krooked, pizza, 5boro, something with actual shape and definition)

Sometimes I’ll run indy or ace for fun shortly on a good deck with a long wheelbase cause those trucks kinda shorten or keep the wheelbase true to measurement rather than push out the feeling like thunder and venture, but I tend to go back to my top 2 cause the height gets to me and I miss the low to the ground board feel with lower trucks

All this low truck talk has me so excited for the new indy lows

I don’t like that they are a racist brand but hey they make a decently okay to good product so idk...I’ll just have the set of trucks and that’ll be all

yes

blo0mz

« Reply #4072 on: July 25, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Thunder 147, 148, or 149 for an 8.0 x 31.45 deck?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4073 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »

147 = 8.0

Plan on going slightly bigger in the future?

148 = 8.25

blo0mz

« Reply #4074 on: July 25, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

147 = 8.0

148 = 8.25

yeah I just remember a poster by the name of heritage stating that he used 149s for anywhere from 8" to 8.38". wondering if there are any downsides to going with 148s on an 8" instead of 147s.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4075 on: July 25, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

147 = 8.0

148 = 8.25
[close]

yeah I just remember a poster by the name of heritage stating that he used 149s for anywhere from 8" to 8.38". wondering if there are any downsides to going with 148s on an 8" instead of 147s.

Depends on who you ask. Personally I like my axles flush or slightly more narrow than my deck (147 on 8 or 8.125 in my case) but some people are cool with their axles being a little wider or even a lot wider than their deck. It messes with me though. I feel like my board wont flip right and the axles will take a beating causing axle slip. If I see too much axle or wheel when I'm standing on my board it's a no go.

Gipper

• Rep: -15
  • Lesbianthespian
« Reply #4076 on: July 25, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

147 = 8.0

148 = 8.25
[close]

[close]

Depends on who you ask. Personally I like my axles flush or slightly more narrow than my deck (147 on 8 or 8.125 in my case) but some people are cool with their axles being a little wider or even a lot wider than their deck. It messes with me though. I feel like my board wont flip right and the axles will take a beating causing axle slip. If I see too much axle or wheel when I'm standing on my board it's a no go.
To each his own and all that, but I will strongly advise you against putting 149s on an 8" board. Whoever said that is obviously bonkers.

Rocko

• Rep: 38
« Reply #4077 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4078 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlqqQA9AY8j/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1o8cmcij3qzm6

Sort of related? anyone know what this is about?

Longboarding...indy getting in the game...I wonder how the dirhardzwillfeel...no bro,fucking longboarders gonna where are iron cross shirts WTF.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4079 on: July 25, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Needs a Krux kingpin, that shit is gonna hang up on grinds.  8)