Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 295703 times)

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4110 on: July 25, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

Only 2 top choices for light and low

Thunder and mini logo

The only 2 trucks I have on either or of my 2 setups

I use the mini logo trucks for my bad shaped decks(girl, flip, flat nothing special boards)

And thunders on my good decks(real, Krooked, pizza, 5boro, something with actual shape and definition)

Sometimes Iíll run indy or ace for fun shortly on a good deck with a long wheelbase cause those trucks kinda shorten or keep the wheelbase true to measurement rather than push out the feeling like thunder and venture, but I tend to go back to my top 2 cause the height gets to me and I miss the low to the ground board feel with lower trucks

All this low truck talk has me so excited for the new indy lows

I donít like that they are a racist brand but hey they make a decently okay to good product so idk...Iíll just have the set of trucks and thatíll be all

yes

blo0mz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4111 on: July 25, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Thunder 147, 148, or 149 for an 8.0 x 31.45 deck?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4112 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:51 AM »

147 = 8.0

Plan on going slightly bigger in the future?

148 = 8.25

blo0mz

« Reply #4113 on: July 25, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »

147 = 8.0

148 = 8.25

yeah I just remember a poster by the name of heritage stating that he used 149s for anywhere from 8" to 8.38". wondering if there are any downsides to going with 148s on an 8" instead of 147s.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4114 on: July 25, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »

147 = 8.0

148 = 8.25

yeah I just remember a poster by the name of heritage stating that he used 149s for anywhere from 8" to 8.38". wondering if there are any downsides to going with 148s on an 8" instead of 147s.

Depends on who you ask. Personally I like my axles flush or slightly more narrow than my deck (147 on 8 or 8.125 in my case) but some people are cool with their axles being a little wider or even a lot wider than their deck. It messes with me though. I feel like my board wont flip right and the axles will take a beating causing axle slip. If I see too much axle or wheel when I'm standing on my board it's a no go.

Gipper

• Rep: -10
  • Lesbianthespian
« Reply #4115 on: July 25, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »

147 = 8.0

148 = 8.25

Depends on who you ask. Personally I like my axles flush or slightly more narrow than my deck (147 on 8 or 8.125 in my case) but some people are cool with their axles being a little wider or even a lot wider than their deck. It messes with me though. I feel like my board wont flip right and the axles will take a beating causing axle slip. If I see too much axle or wheel when I'm standing on my board it's a no go.
To each his own and all that, but I will strongly advise you against putting 149s on an 8" board. Whoever said that is obviously bonkers.

Rocko

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4116 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »

Sort of related? anyone know what this is about?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4117 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:15 PM »

Sort of related? anyone know what this is about?

Longboarding...indy getting in the game...I wonder how the dirhardzwillfeel...no bro,fucking longboarders gonna where are iron cross shirts WTF.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
« Reply #4118 on: July 25, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Needs a Krux kingpin, that shit is gonna hang up on grinds.  8)

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #4119 on: July 26, 2018, 12:05:03 AM »

Personally itís like this for me

If you want satisfying stability and control with some pop and flip go with the 148 for anything 8-8.3 ish(thatís what Iím riding now)

But if you like a little edgy ness and being lower with I guess a faster response to pop and flip the 147 are always a good choice,

I ride 8-8.3 max and I like being safer but still a lot of flipability on the 148

I had 147 on and it was nice cause itís lighter and lower but it felt a little unstable, like having them medium or loose and pushing too hard/fast gives a slight speed wobble and since theyíre lower there was a chance of wheel bite

But thatís just me, Frank gerwer rides 147 on an 8.2 And heís bombing hills and shredding the streets

In conclusion, if you want more control, flip, and fast pop = 147

Stable and safe but still some pop and flip = 148
yes

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4120 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:04 AM »
They make Krux in 9.0 now

blo0mz

« Reply #4121 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »

Personally itís like this for me

If you want satisfying stability and control with some pop and flip go with the 148 for anything 8-8.3 ish(thatís what Iím riding now)

But if you like a little edgy ness and being lower with I guess a faster response to pop and flip the 147 are always a good choice,

I ride 8-8.3 max and I like being safer but still a lot of flipability on the 148

I had 147 on and it was nice cause itís lighter and lower but it felt a little unstable, like having them medium or loose and pushing too hard/fast gives a slight speed wobble and since theyíre lower there was a chance of wheel bite

But thatís just me, Frank gerwer rides 147 on an 8.2 And heís bombing hills and shredding the streets

In conclusion, if you want more control, flip, and fast pop = 147

Stable and safe but still some pop and flip = 148

I went with a Numbers Edition 8.0 with Thunder 148 Hollow Lights. Thanks bruh I hope it works out

TheVisitor

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4122 on: July 26, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »
What after market bushings fit Thunder Hi without fucking up the geometry? Bones with no bottom washer, Doh-dohs, Krux?

Thanks.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4123 on: July 26, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
What after market bushings fit Thunder Hi without fucking up the geometry? Bones with no bottom washer, Doh-dohs, Krux?

Thanks.

Thunder's own aftermarket bushings are great

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #4124 on: July 26, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
They make Krux in 9.0 now
theyve made 9's for a while, they used to be called "the man sized"

blo0mz

« Reply #4125 on: July 27, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »

Thanks.

I ordered the 94du blue ones, how hard do you like bb?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4126 on: July 27, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »

Thanks.

Yeah I wouldn't try anything other than the Thunder ones. I'm using the 97d "Heavy" ones for less wheelbite with the same turn.

I've seen Wade Desarmo and a few others run bones in thunders but it makes the hanger sit at a different angle. I feel like some trucks like Ventures & Indy are more mod-friendly in terms of bushing shapes and types but Thunders are more tuned to work specifically with their bushings. Anything else just makes them feel "off" compared to their usual turn

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4127 on: July 28, 2018, 01:52:55 AM »
So I had success with the Krux pin when I had my old Indy Stage 7ís but other than that seems like nearly all modern trucks require epoxy around the nut. Didnít someone say Thunders actually work fine without epoxy, no worries, no nut jiggling loose out from the baseplate?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4128 on: July 28, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
yeah you dont need epoxy with the cast thunder plates. I was just running that setup not too long ago. Make sure they're not too loose tho because I have had my hanger detach from the baseplate mid flip trick before

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 86
  • AndyRoysNeck
« Reply #4129 on: July 29, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
so i notice my trucks feel weird and i think its the pivot cups, the metal part of the truck that rests in them wiggles.

what replacement cups do i get that are good and fit thunder 148

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #4130 on: July 30, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4131 on: July 30, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
so i notice my trucks feel weird and i think its the pivot cups, the metal part of the truck that rests in them wiggles.

what replacement cups do i get that are good and fit thunder 148

Shorty's cups will also work, they have the same depth.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #4132 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »
Haha you guys will never guess what I just copped

And itís such a crazy discovery of rehashing or rebranding that stuns me the most with this purchase

Also I think destructo and silver are gonna shut down soon

Destructos website dropped the prices of their stuff a few dollars and skate warehouse doesnít carry their stuff and hasnít restocked any silver trucks either

Silver I can understand, destructos I never tried but hey maybe theyíre doing better over seas

I stay true to my statement though, silvers has to be some of the worse trucks, talk about rock hard bushings that never broke in and terrible customer service.
yes

The Dope

• Rep: -7
« Reply #4133 on: July 31, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »

Thanks.

Yeah I wouldn't try anything other than the Thunder ones. I'm using the 97d "Heavy" ones for less wheelbite with the same turn.

I've seen Wade Desarmo and a few others run bones in thunders but it makes the hanger sit at a different angle. I feel like some trucks like Ventures & Indy are more mod-friendly in terms of bushing shapes and types but Thunders are more tuned to work specifically with their bushings. Anything else just makes them feel "off" compared to their usual turn

I've been using the bones hard conical bushings in the 148 thunder hollows, have the nut juuuust flush on top of the kingpin and they are pretty fuckin fun. Surfy yet controlled, more like a snowboard than a surfboard feel, which works great for me personally. I should experiment some thunder bushings again just to see wussup tho

TheVisitor

« Reply #4134 on: July 31, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

I'll trade you my Thunder Titanium Lights for you Indy 144's.  ;D

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4135 on: July 31, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
Haha you guys will never guess what I just copped

And itís such a crazy discovery of rehashing or rebranding that stuns me the most with this purchase

Also I think destructo and silver are gonna shut down soon

Destructos website dropped the prices of their stuff a few dollars and skate warehouse doesnít carry their stuff and hasnít restocked any silver trucks either

Silver I can understand, destructos I never tried but hey maybe theyíre doing better over seas

I stay true to my statement though, silvers has to be some of the worse trucks, talk about rock hard bushings that never broke in and terrible customer service.

Tried destructo in the Reese high Ollie challenge era. If I remember right they were okay but the holes on the baseplates widened quickly, much like Royal at the time. Keep in mind this was like 1999. Definitely thought they were better than Royal quality though

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4136 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
I think silver is just going to bow out of the US market. A lot of brands still survive overseas. That Japanese girl who won games rides for em. Their Brazil instagram has more than double the followers than the US.

Destructo trucks website looks the same to me. The hollow kingpin trucks where just released last year & they just released a wider truck last week.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4137 on: July 31, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »
Anything doing with crail trucks these days?

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4138 on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:25 PM »
Just got some of the ďnewĒ Ventures because I missed the way they feel. What are good bushings that have a responsive yet hard turn that work?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4139 on: August 01, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
Just got some of the ďnewĒ Ventures because I missed the way they feel. What are good bushings that have a responsive yet hard turn that work?

Green Supercush