Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220758 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4080 on: July 26, 2018, 12:05:03 AM »
Thunder 147, 148, or 149 for an 8.0 x 31.45 deck?

Personally it’s like this for me

If you want satisfying stability and control with some pop and flip go with the 148 for anything 8-8.3 ish(that’s what I’m riding now)

But if you like a little edgy ness and being lower with I guess a faster response to pop and flip the 147 are always a good choice,

I ride 8-8.3 max and I like being safer but still a lot of flipability on the 148

I had 147 on and it was nice cause it’s lighter and lower but it felt a little unstable, like having them medium or loose and pushing too hard/fast gives a slight speed wobble and since they’re lower there was a chance of wheel bite

But that’s just me, Frank gerwer rides 147 on an 8.2 And he’s bombing hills and shredding the streets

In conclusion, if you want more control, flip, and fast pop = 147

Stable and safe but still some pop and flip = 148
yes

full of jerks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
« Reply #4081 on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:04 AM »
They make Krux in 9.0 now

blo0mz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4082 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Thunder 147, 148, or 149 for an 8.0 x 31.45 deck?
[close]

Personally it’s like this for me

If you want satisfying stability and control with some pop and flip go with the 148 for anything 8-8.3 ish(that’s what I’m riding now)

But if you like a little edgy ness and being lower with I guess a faster response to pop and flip the 147 are always a good choice,

I ride 8-8.3 max and I like being safer but still a lot of flipability on the 148

I had 147 on and it was nice cause it’s lighter and lower but it felt a little unstable, like having them medium or loose and pushing too hard/fast gives a slight speed wobble and since they’re lower there was a chance of wheel bite

But that’s just me, Frank gerwer rides 147 on an 8.2 And he’s bombing hills and shredding the streets

In conclusion, if you want more control, flip, and fast pop = 147

Stable and safe but still some pop and flip = 148

I went with a Numbers Edition 8.0 with Thunder 148 Hollow Lights. Thanks bruh I hope it works out

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #4083 on: July 26, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »
What after market bushings fit Thunder Hi without fucking up the geometry? Bones with no bottom washer, Doh-dohs, Krux?

Thanks.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #4084 on: July 26, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
What after market bushings fit Thunder Hi without fucking up the geometry? Bones with no bottom washer, Doh-dohs, Krux?

Thanks.

Thunder's own aftermarket bushings are great

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4085 on: July 26, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
They make Krux in 9.0 now
theyve made 9's for a while, they used to be called "the man sized"

blo0mz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4086 on: July 27, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]

I ordered the 94du blue ones, how hard do you like bb?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4087 on: July 27, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]

Yeah I wouldn't try anything other than the Thunder ones. I'm using the 97d "Heavy" ones for less wheelbite with the same turn.

I've seen Wade Desarmo and a few others run bones in thunders but it makes the hanger sit at a different angle. I feel like some trucks like Ventures & Indy are more mod-friendly in terms of bushing shapes and types but Thunders are more tuned to work specifically with their bushings. Anything else just makes them feel "off" compared to their usual turn

Diocletian

« Reply #4088 on: July 28, 2018, 01:52:55 AM »
So I had success with the Krux pin when I had my old Indy Stage 7’s but other than that seems like nearly all modern trucks require epoxy around the nut. Didn’t someone say Thunders actually work fine without epoxy, no worries, no nut jiggling loose out from the baseplate?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4089 on: July 28, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
yeah you dont need epoxy with the cast thunder plates. I was just running that setup not too long ago. Make sure they're not too loose tho because I have had my hanger detach from the baseplate mid flip trick before

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #4090 on: July 29, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
so i notice my trucks feel weird and i think its the pivot cups, the metal part of the truck that rests in them wiggles.

what replacement cups do i get that are good and fit thunder 148
even the steven

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4091 on: July 30, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4092 on: July 30, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
so i notice my trucks feel weird and i think its the pivot cups, the metal part of the truck that rests in them wiggles.

what replacement cups do i get that are good and fit thunder 148

Shorty's cups will also work, they have the same depth.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4093 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »
Haha you guys will never guess what I just copped

And it’s such a crazy discovery of rehashing or rebranding that stuns me the most with this purchase

Also I think destructo and silver are gonna shut down soon

Destructos website dropped the prices of their stuff a few dollars and skate warehouse doesn’t carry their stuff and hasn’t restocked any silver trucks either

Silver I can understand, destructos I never tried but hey maybe they’re doing better over seas

I stay true to my statement though, silvers has to be some of the worse trucks, talk about rock hard bushings that never broke in and terrible customer service.
yes

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #4094 on: July 31, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks.
[close]

[close]

Yeah I wouldn't try anything other than the Thunder ones. I'm using the 97d "Heavy" ones for less wheelbite with the same turn.

I've seen Wade Desarmo and a few others run bones in thunders but it makes the hanger sit at a different angle. I feel like some trucks like Ventures & Indy are more mod-friendly in terms of bushing shapes and types but Thunders are more tuned to work specifically with their bushings. Anything else just makes them feel "off" compared to their usual turn

I've been using the bones hard conical bushings in the 148 thunder hollows, have the nut juuuust flush on top of the kingpin and they are pretty fuckin fun. Surfy yet controlled, more like a snowboard than a surfboard feel, which works great for me personally. I should experiment some thunder bushings again just to see wussup tho

TheVisitor

« Reply #4095 on: July 31, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »
I suck and my style is probably garbage because I always found it easier with a tighter truck... I have Indy's (whatever the 8.25" is) and I hate them, I find them too heavy and I cannot get them stable at all, I tried both the stock bushings and whatever the black and yellows bones bushings are, all different setups with the washers and stuff, etc.

I was wondering if there is a lighter, LOW truck out there these days that's any good? I was thinking maybe Venture lows with a harder (95-96du) bushing? Or maybe just a lighter truck overall doesn't have to be low.

I know I sound like a dummy but I haven't skated since I was like 17-18 and I'm almost 30, trying to get back into it. Thanks

I'll trade you my Thunder Titanium Lights for you Indy 144's.  ;D

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4096 on: July 31, 2018, 04:13:46 PM »
Haha you guys will never guess what I just copped

And it’s such a crazy discovery of rehashing or rebranding that stuns me the most with this purchase

Also I think destructo and silver are gonna shut down soon

Destructos website dropped the prices of their stuff a few dollars and skate warehouse doesn’t carry their stuff and hasn’t restocked any silver trucks either

Silver I can understand, destructos I never tried but hey maybe they’re doing better over seas

I stay true to my statement though, silvers has to be some of the worse trucks, talk about rock hard bushings that never broke in and terrible customer service.

Tried destructo in the Reese high Ollie challenge era. If I remember right they were okay but the holes on the baseplates widened quickly, much like Royal at the time. Keep in mind this was like 1999. Definitely thought they were better than Royal quality though

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #4097 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
I think silver is just going to bow out of the US market. A lot of brands still survive overseas. That Japanese girl who won games rides for em. Their Brazil instagram has more than double the followers than the US.

Destructo trucks website looks the same to me. The hollow kingpin trucks where just released last year & they just released a wider truck last week.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4098 on: July 31, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »
Anything doing with crail trucks these days?

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4099 on: July 31, 2018, 11:52:25 PM »
Just got some of the “new” Ventures because I missed the way they feel. What are good bushings that have a responsive yet hard turn that work?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4100 on: August 01, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
Just got some of the “new” Ventures because I missed the way they feel. What are good bushings that have a responsive yet hard turn that work?

Green Supercush

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4101 on: August 01, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
Seconded Supercrush, though I am running the purple (I believe 97a) in my v-light 5.8s.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #4102 on: August 01, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »
Degros does it again with another thorough review.

Now we just need a mini logo review to settle it once and for all... IF HE HAS THE GUTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mru-9AdjIkU

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4103 on: August 01, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
Seconded Supercrush, though I am running the purple (I believe 97a) in my v-light 5.8s.
Does it change the geometry at all?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4104 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:07 AM »
Nope. Pretty sure since venture went to Deluxe they are using supercush (or at least the shape) as the standard in there, but the red ones that came stock were just too soft.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #4105 on: August 01, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »
I just switched to Ace from Indy after 12 years of strictly Indy. I loveeee them. I got the 33s but I'm thinking I should have got the 44s because I'm liking 8.12 to 8.25 boards a lot more than my usual 8.0s.

TheVisitor

« Reply #4106 on: August 02, 2018, 12:13:28 AM »
Want to trade Thunder Titanmiums 147 or 149 for Ace 44's. Preferably for the most recent Ace redesign. I have both Forged and Cast hollow kingpin baseplates availabe for the Thunders. Will also consider Hollow Indy 144/149.

My Thunders are skated but have plenty of life left. No blown out bushings or pivot cups, plenty of meat left on the axles.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4107 on: August 02, 2018, 01:00:08 AM »

Now we just need a mini logo review to settle it once and for all... IF HE HAS THE GUTS!

Haha if he responds to this thread to me I’ll send him my second set to try!!

Also I recently got some tensor alloys(yes the cheap ones) which are basically dwindles generic stock trucks they put on their completes and so far from what I’m feeling

They feel like what I think the old indys that everyone on here rants about being the best stage indys feels like, I feel these trucks are what the indy stage 7 were like

They have a somewhat similar look generally and I think height

They’re about 53ish mm give or take and they they are like a more responsive indy to me

The aluminum does feel cheap but so far I like them just cause I think they’re cool
yes

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4108 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19:37 AM »

Minilogo review would be nice.
My guess is that it is the magnesium alloy, not the suspension that speeds up the grinds.
Perhaps.

Juggalo420BlazeIt

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4109 on: August 02, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Black tensor 5.0, hardest bushings.