Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221030 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4110 on: August 02, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Degros does it again with another thorough review.

Now we just need a mini logo review to settle it once and for all... IF HE HAS THE GUTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mru-9AdjIkU
[close]

Minilogo review would be nice.
My guess is that it is the magnesium alloy, not the suspension that speeds up the grinds.
Perhaps.

That's what I was thinking; couple that with how easy mag grinds, it's going to be smoother and feel different than typical aluminum.

Diocletian

« Reply #4111 on: August 02, 2018, 01:32:03 PM »
$25 for a brand new set of stage 1 Ace’s if anyone wants them. Shipping included continental USA only.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4112 on: August 03, 2018, 09:02:19 AM »
Curiousity got to me so I finally copped those new All-terrain Tensor MagLites. Between shipping & this hot ass weather I probably won’t get to skate them til next weekend but ima put in some work on them and do a lil mini review or something once they’re broken in and I have good feel for em

Smartass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4113 on: August 03, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
Curiousity got to me so I finally copped those new All-terrain Tensor MagLites. Between shipping & this hot ass weather I probably won’t get to skate them til next weekend but ima put in some work on them and do a lil mini review or something once they’re broken in and I have good feel for em

Which ones did you end up picking up?

I'm noticing that some of the pro models are using the bushing cup in the base plate vs regular ones using bottom washers.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4114 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which ones did you end up picking up?

I'm noticing that some of the pro models are using the bushing cup in the base plate vs regular ones using bottom washers.

Interesting, I never noticed that before but I just saw some zered basset trucks without the bottom bushing washer. I got the regular silver mag lites though...now I might have to fuck around with both setups to see if it makes a difference

I don’t think I’ve done a full on truck review before and I’m really interested to see if Tensor can come through as a solid truck option with this redesign. There’s a lot of little details like the interlocking bushings or the little nubs on the bottom of the baseplate that press into the deck so the truck doesn’t shift around once the screw holes start to widen out that intrigue me as well. Should be fun testing them out!

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4115 on: August 04, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
@Sk8Dood - They've also lowered the kingpin significantly on those redesigned Tensor. This thread had me going through a box of old trucks to try something other than Thunder and I found these older Tensor MagLite 10 Hi. I don't even remember buying these. Decent enough trucks but there are some differences to Thunder that I am used to. The turn is much different. I use Khiro conical in my Thunders and it's a really loose, surfy carve. These Tensor I really have to lean into the turn.

The kingpin in these is way too high for my taste. Hard to tell from this angle but it looks like it almost sits flush with the hangar and it gets caught on just about every grind. I watched the video of the new ones and it looks like dropping the kp was a big focus.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4116 on: August 04, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
I get the impression that they grind down super fast too.....I could see me getting them....doing tons of slappies and then bumming that I needed new ones....

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #4117 on: August 04, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
I get the impression that they grind down super fast too.....I could see me getting them....doing tons of slappies and then bumming that I needed new ones....

For the older Mag-Lights like heritage's set, that's pretty much the case. Me and my homie put a a nice notch in his first day running them.

On the new All-Terrain ones they changed up the formula so they're a lot more durable. Still grind super smooth, older ones are smoother, but these are going to last way longer.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4118 on: August 04, 2018, 02:31:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For the older Mag-Lights like heritage's set, that's pretty much the case. Me and my homie put a a nice notch in his first day running them.

On the new All-Terrain ones they changed up the formula so they're a lot more durable. Still grind super smooth, older ones are smoother, but these are going to last way longer.

I think I am going to try the new design. The quality is there. I like the looks of the new truck, and after the watching the video of what was changed they improved everything that needed attention. They weren't just unnecessary tweaks.

EDIT: Question about sizing: certain sites have them listed as 5.25, 5.5, etc and some have them listed as 8.25, 8.5. Would the 8.25 be equivalent to Thunder 148 and 8.5 would be equivalent to Thunder 149?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:36:51 PM by heritage »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4119 on: August 04, 2018, 03:07:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I think I am going to try the new design. The quality is there. I like the looks of the new truck, and after the watching the video of what was changed they improved everything that needed attention. They weren't just unnecessary tweaks.

EDIT: Question about sizing: certain sites have them listed as 5.25, 5.5, etc and some have them listed as 8.25, 8.5. Would the 8.25 be equivalent to Thunder 148 and 8.5 would be equivalent to Thunder 149?

5.5 = 8.125"
5.75 = 8.38"
6.0 = 8.625"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4120 on: August 04, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's good to hear....I think dwindle is capable of making good products....the decks aren't the lay up I like but I've never heard quality control was much of a problem....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4121 on: August 04, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
I Love dwindle stuff,

The full shape is my reliable everytime goto shape and deck when I’m not feeling to get adventurous with another brand

The tensors sizing is true now with the all terrain and the alloys

I’m riding the alloys right now and got both the 8.25 and 8 and so far I like them a lot, they’re around 51mm tall I think and the stock bushings are kinda that Walmart tight loose but actually tolerable

Swapped them out with bones Hards and they’re perfect, I’m gonna try and grab a set of the all terrain next but idk Forsure yet cause once I touch 53mm+ height trucks things things get too tall for me, mainly pop wise and jumping high enough to catch and keep up with the board

Still waiting to see those new indy lows for 2019
yes

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4122 on: August 04, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
Rob - what size board are you riding the 8.25 on?

And what do you mean the sizing is true? In relation to the sizing on the older set I posted above?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4123 on: August 04, 2018, 09:31:21 PM »
I'm having bitch of a time getting the kingpins out of my team hollows.....any pointers?

Mongoloid

« Reply #4124 on: August 04, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
$25 for a brand new set of stage 1 Ace’s if anyone wants them. Shipping included continental USA only.

Size?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4125 on: August 04, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »

And what do you mean the sizing is true? In relation to the sizing on the older set I posted above?

Riding the 8.25 on my 8.25 rick howard girl and kinda prefer it because I can keep the true wheelbase compared the thunders pushing it out

The older tensors(the tens regulars and lows) follow the old sizing where 5.25=7.9 & 5.5=8.125 but the alloys and all terrain are actually 5.25=8 and 5.5=8.25

From what I’m getting so far with my alloys, I can post a pic of you want(with the label 5.25 and a tape measure axle to axle)
yes

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4126 on: August 04, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Riding the 8.25 on my 8.25 rick howard girl and kinda prefer it because I can keep the true wheelbase compared the thunders pushing it out

The older tensors(the tens regulars and lows) follow the old sizing where 5.25=7.9 & 5.5=8.125 but the alloys and all terrain are actually 5.25=8 and 5.5=8.25

From what I’m getting so far with my alloys, I can post a pic of you want(with the label 5.25 and a tape measure axle to axle)

This helps quite a bit. The older pair I posted above are 5.75. The axle measures 8.3 and the hanger measures just a hair under 6.75. I can't decide with the new geometry if I want to go 5.75 or 5.5. Can you do me a favor whenever you get the chance, positively no rush, is measure the hanger width on your 5.5. Thanks Rob.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4127 on: August 05, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This helps quite a bit. The older pair I posted above are 5.75. The axle measures 8.3 and the hanger measures just a hair under 6.75. I can't decide with the new geometry if I want to go 5.75 or 5.5. Can you do me a favor whenever you get the chance, positively no rush, is measure the hanger width on your 5.5. Thanks Rob.

Definitely

I’ll post it tomorrow fur ya

Also the tensor 5.5/8.25 alloys are a little wider than the 8.25 girl

Just a tiny though
yes

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #4128 on: August 05, 2018, 03:59:17 PM »
Are sternum trucks a real thing?
Ive been following for  while but all they do is fucking the chest
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Diocletian

« Reply #4129 on: August 05, 2018, 06:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Size?

They were 44’s. Sold.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4130 on: August 06, 2018, 05:41:42 AM »
I'm having bitch of a time getting the kingpins out of my team hollows.....any pointers?

oven

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4131 on: August 06, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
I just had to try harder.....finally got em out the krux kingpin fits perfectly...thunders never looked so burly with that much clearance....

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4132 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
I just had to try harder.....finally got em out the krux kingpin fits perfectly...thunders never looked so burly with that much clearance....
yeah, no excessive ellipsis in hammering, you have to hammer no stop^^

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4133 on: August 06, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
It's true....SMASH...........SMASH.................

Isn't as effective as: SMASHSMAShSMASHSMASHSMASH

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4134 on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
It's true....SMASH...........SMASH.................

Isn't as effective as: SMASHSMAShSMASHSMASHSMASH
absolutely  ;)

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #4135 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
Rode Indy for over a decade and decided to try Thunders. I like them. Run them with bones yellow bushing and only the bottom washers. I used to skate my trucks absurdly loose but I recently tightened my back truck a little more.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #4136 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
Debating whether to try Thunders or Ventures anyone have experience with both?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4137 on: August 06, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
I’ve been on Venture hi’s (white stock bushings) for about 3 months now, ride them pretty loose-ish (can’t ride that wobbly stuff anymore) and I fucking love them. First trucks I haven’t had to tinker with or obsess about in a loooong time. I’ve been riding Indy’s since the stage 7’s, and I found myself hating the Stage 11’s, something about them just doesn’t vibe with me. Tried Thunders, enjoyed them, but at the same time I didn’t like the feel of them enough to keep them (personal preference).

I don’t see myself riding anything else for a long time.

I know I’m not cool for not riding wobbly loose trucks, but my manual tricks were starting to get way too hard.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:29:58 PM by TheBoognish »

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4138 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
Debating whether to try Thunders or Ventures anyone have experience with both?

Tried Thunders after being an Indy guy for years, couldn’t stand the wheel bite and short base plates.
Now I am riding Venture 5.8 Hi’s, I love them too, nice and curvy and light on the wheel bite. I get marks with every truck I ride but I don’t get pitched by the Ventures. I also replaced the stock bushings with Indy white super softs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4139 on: August 06, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
For no good reason I dismiss any hi or lo truck......anyone with me on this?