Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 294067 times)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4170 on: August 06, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
I just had to try harder.....finally got em out the krux kingpin fits perfectly...thunders never looked so burly with that much clearance....

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #4171 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
I just had to try harder.....finally got em out the krux kingpin fits perfectly...thunders never looked so burly with that much clearance....
yeah, no excessive ellipsis in hammering, you have to hammer no stop^^

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4172 on: August 06, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »
It's true....SMASH...........SMASH.................

Isn't as effective as: SMASHSMAShSMASHSMASHSMASH

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #4173 on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
It's true....SMASH...........SMASH.................

Isn't as effective as: SMASHSMAShSMASHSMASHSMASH
absolutely  ;)

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -234
« Reply #4174 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
Rode Indy for over a decade and decided to try Thunders. I like them. Run them with bones yellow bushing and only the bottom washers. I used to skate my trucks absurdly loose but I recently tightened my back truck a little more.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 815
« Reply #4175 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
Debating whether to try Thunders or Ventures anyone have experience with both?

TheBoognish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4176 on: August 06, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
Iíve been on Venture hiís (white stock bushings) for about 3 months now, ride them pretty loose-ish (canít ride that wobbly stuff anymore) and I fucking love them. First trucks I havenít had to tinker with or obsess about in a loooong time. Iíve been riding Indyís since the stage 7ís, and I found myself hating the Stage 11ís, something about them just doesnít vibe with me. Tried Thunders, enjoyed them, but at the same time I didnít like the feel of them enough to keep them (personal preference).

I donít see myself riding anything else for a long time.

I know Iím not cool for not riding wobbly loose trucks, but my manual tricks were starting to get way too hard.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:29:58 PM by TheBoognish »

NJFly318

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4177 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »

Tried Thunders after being an Indy guy for years, couldnít stand the wheel bite and short base plates.
Now I am riding Venture 5.8 Hiís, I love them too, nice and curvy and light on the wheel bite. I get marks with every truck I ride but I donít get pitched by the Ventures. I also replaced the stock bushings with Indy white super softs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4178 on: August 06, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
For no good reason I dismiss any hi or lo truck......anyone with me on this?

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4179 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
I used to only ride Indy but switched to Thunder and then Venture. Riding Ventures now and they are basically a Thunder but turns a bit slower and is beefy. I mod the stock bushing so I can ride really loose with the stock washers to keep the geometry the turn is kinda like indy but longer wheelbase. I can ride really loose without wheelbite so fun

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4180 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:00 PM »
For no good reason I dismiss any hi or lo truck......anyone with me on this?

Yes.

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4181 on: August 06, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
Ace

/thread

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4182 on: August 06, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
Iíve been on Venture hiís (white stock bushings) for about 3 months now, ride them pretty loose-ish (canít ride that wobbly stuff anymore) and I fucking love them. First trucks I havenít had to tinker with or obsess about in a loooong time. Iíve been riding Indyís since the stage 7ís, and I found myself hating the Stage 11ís, something about them just doesnít vibe with me. Tried Thunders, enjoyed them, but at the same time I didnít like the feel of them enough to keep them (personal preference).

I know Iím not cool for not riding wobbly loose trucks, but my manual tricks were starting to get way too hard.

It's not just you.

If Venture steps up to an 8.25" or I drop to an 8" (unlikely) or bump to 8.3/8.5" (possible) I'll sure give them another shot IF they make a V-Hollow lite - until then, it's Thunders, stock white bushings, having come to realize every other color, the clear colors anyway, feel much harder than the white stocks. It's the height and pop that gels with me.

TheBoognish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4183 on: August 07, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »

It's not just you.

If Venture steps up to an 8.25" or I drop to an 8" (unlikely) or bump to 8.3/8.5" (possible) I'll sure give them another shot IF they make a V-Hollow lite - until then, it's Thunders, stock white bushings, having come to realize every other color, the clear colors anyway, feel much harder than the white stocks. It's the height and pop that gels with me.
Iíve got the 5.2 raw highís on a 8.25 (I vary between that and 8.125), and they feel fine. Judging by the wheel bite marks on my 8.125 Magenta, theyíre actually a tad wider than Indy 139ís. Iíd definitely get a set if they made 8.25ís, but for now itís not the end of the world, I enjoy my set up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:38:39 PM by TheBoognish »

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4184 on: August 07, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »

Tried Thunders after being an Indy guy for years, couldnít stand the wheel bite and short base plates.
Now I am riding Venture 5.8 Hiís, I love them too, nice and curvy and light on the wheel bite. I get marks with every truck I ride but I donít get pitched by the Ventures. I also replaced the stock bushings with Indy white super softs.
Iím also a recent Venture convert after skating Indyís for 6 years. I find that Iím able to skate them as loose as my Indyís without having to modify the trucks with bushings etc. I just loosened them up when I got them and they were ready to go. I feel like I have a more controlled and reliable ride.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

whenyousleep

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4185 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »

It's not just you.

On one of venture's instagram posts, someone commented asking if they were gonna make an 8.25" truck and they replied saying that it was "in the works."

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -186
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4186 on: August 07, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
got the new Tensor All-Terrain's in the mail today. Took a quick pic to show their height (the 5.75/8.38 axle) compared to Thunder 149's & some Venture 5.8s. Can't see from the angle, but they have as much kingpin clearance as ventures as well with a similar "lip" around the kingpin. Lighter than the Thunder Ti's too. They also push the wheelbase in more like Indy's & Theeves. Gonna take em for a spin tomorrow and can't wait to see how they turn and grind. I know of a good crusty out-ledge to see how they fair with Tailslides & Smith grinds.

First time skating magnesium too. Kinda weird that they have that matte-like finish compared to my usual polished aluminum but we'll see how they look after some grinds.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4187 on: August 07, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
Yeah I had thought they were to be a higher beefier truck....but you still get the lightness.....the opposite of an ace.....slim but heavier.....

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4188 on: August 07, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
Yeah I had thought they were to be a higher beefier truck....but you still get the lightness.....the opposite of an ace.....slim but heavier.....

yeah that's part of what got me hyped to try them because they have that hanger shape like ventures, but are lightweight like thunders. If I'm lucky they'll turn like Theeves and be my dream truck.

Smartass

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4189 on: August 07, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »

yeah that's part of what got me hyped to try them because they have that hanger shape like ventures, but are lightweight like thunders. If I'm lucky they'll turn like Theeves and be my dream truck.

They might be a little stiff at first but that'll change with a quick break in sesh.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -8
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4190 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
I used to only ride Indy but switched to Thunder and then Venture. Riding Ventures now and they are basically a Thunder but turns a bit slower and is beefy. I mod the stock bushing so I can ride really loose with the stock washers to keep the geometry the turn is kinda like indy but longer wheelbase. I can ride really loose without wheelbite so fun

I like how that sounds, I had to give up on thunder after a year or so, I just can't totally trust that quick turn. Plus I finally realized I don't really like low trucks.

What about the pop on ventures? Pushing the WB out like that seems like it would mess with my timing too much.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #4191 on: August 08, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
In my experience , ventures and thunders have a quicker pop response than Indys. Could be wheelbase related, maybe not. I've felt my ollies on Indys to be more "floaty" than on ventures or thunders. I love Indys but for this exact reason, is why I dabble in ventures and thunders.
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4192 on: August 08, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
got the new Tensor All-Terrain's in the mail today. Took a quick pic to show their height (the 5.75/8.38 axle) compared to Thunder 149's & some Venture 5.8s. Can't see from the angle, but they have as much kingpin clearance as ventures as well with a similar "lip" around the kingpin. Lighter than the Thunder Ti's too. They also push the wheelbase in more like Indy's & Theeves. Gonna take em for a spin tomorrow and can't wait to see how they turn and grind. I know of a good crusty out-ledge to see how they fair with Tailslides & Smith grinds.

First time skating magnesium too. Kinda weird that they have that matte-like finish compared to my usual polished aluminum but we'll see how they look after some grinds.

Wow, the sensors look huge!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #4193 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »

I like how that sounds, I had to give up on thunder after a year or so, I just can't totally trust that quick turn. Plus I finally realized I don't really like low trucks.

What about the pop on ventures? Pushing the WB out like that seems like it would mess with my timing too much.

Ventures have amazing pop IMO. They just don't turn how I'd like no matter what.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4194 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »

Ventures have amazing pop IMO. They just don't turn how I'd like no matter what.

I tried someone's board with ventures briefly today. I've skated indy ace and thunder before. I agree the pop feels amazing, ollies felt much floatier than they usually do for me. Nice and stable, was neither too tight nor too loose, and the truck responded nicely to adjustments and I was able to lean pretty deep without wheelbite. Problem was the turn was so slow. Tried to turn left, and in the time it took me to turn 90 degrees, I could have probably done a full u turn on aces of a similar tightness. Interesting how they feel responsive but still have a slow turn. Would have been perfect otherwise. This is all based off a few minutes experience on someone elses setup though, could be better after getting used to it.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4195 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »

Wow, the sensors look huge!

Yeah, itís crazy how much bigger they are while still being noticeably lighter than even the thunder Tiís. I Took them for a little spin yesterday and had some interesting first impressions

Bushings still probably need to be broken in some more, but they werenít nearly as bad as I was expecting. I was riding them more loose than I usually do to help mush em down and I was getting some realllly deep turns. Coming from Ventures & thunders, that pushed in wheelbase is noticeable. I know Theeves geometry is similar but those feel more ďcenteredĒ if anything. The tensors definitely feel like they tuck inwards, especially on the deep turns

Iíve never skated magnesium before, but I was pretty impressed by their grind. Thereís this chunky ledge at the park thatís nearly unskatable like itís been destroyed by bike pegs, that Iíve waxed the shit out of a couple times to get some rough struggle grinds. Ventures could handle it fairly well, the thunders defintely had more trouble snagging, but these tensors were grinding this shit fairly easy with NO wax.  Probably the most impressive aspect I noticed on the first session. It can handle those rough edges exceptionally well

The height is whatís probably gonna take the most getting used to for me. I havenít skated Indyís recently enough to give an accurate comparison, but I defintely had to be more deliberate with my pop on the tensors compared to my Thunders & Ventures. I didnít do too many flip tricks because I was focused more on the turns & grinds this first session, but I did pop off a couple kickflips and heelflips that were dumb high, even for me. Gonna have to get used to the trucks some more though to do those like that consistently.

Gonna wake up early on Saturday and put them through the ringer with a good 2-3 hour session to reallllly break em in. So far tho, theyíre defintely interesting. Honestly my biggest complaint is how they look. Not a fan of the matte finish or the black nuts/washers. Shoulda got the gloss black hanger with some silver nuts or some shit

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4196 on: August 10, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »

I tried someone's board with ventures briefly today. I've skated indy ace and thunder before. I agree the pop feels amazing, ollies felt much floatier than they usually do for me. Nice and stable, was neither too tight nor too loose, and the truck responded nicely to adjustments and I was able to lean pretty deep without wheelbite. Problem was the turn was so slow. Tried to turn left, and in the time it took me to turn 90 degrees, I could have probably done a full u turn on aces of a similar tightness. Interesting how they feel responsive but still have a slow turn. Would have been perfect otherwise. This is all based off a few minutes experience on someone elses setup though, could be better after getting used to it.

Highs (purple bushing) or Lows(red bushing)?

In my experience you have to work more for pop on Highs but they turn really well.

They might as well be different trucks.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4197 on: August 10, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
Questions as I plan another foray into Indys:

Ride differences between the Standard, the Hollow, and the Forged Hollow?

Can you get away with the Forged Hollows and 54+mm wheels?

Do any Indys come stock with a softer bushing? I never got my Stage 10s as turny as I liked with stock bushings.

Do I just wait for Venture to put out their 8.25 truck?...

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4198 on: August 10, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »

Highs (purple bushing) or Lows(red bushing)?

In my experience you have to work more for pop on Highs but they turn really well.

They might as well be different trucks.

Damn, I'm not too sure. It did feel like the board was a bit higher than my indy 149s with forged plates, tail took a little longer to hit the ground so I'm guessing highs, can't say for sure though. The turn wasn't necessarily bad, but just slow compared to indys or aces.

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4199 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »
I think Venture 5.8 fits perfect with 8.25 decks.