Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221037 times)

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4140 on: August 06, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
I used to only ride Indy but switched to Thunder and then Venture. Riding Ventures now and they are basically a Thunder but turns a bit slower and is beefy. I mod the stock bushing so I can ride really loose with the stock washers to keep the geometry the turn is kinda like indy but longer wheelbase. I can ride really loose without wheelbite so fun

Not Local

« Reply #4141 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:00 PM »
For no good reason I dismiss any hi or lo truck......anyone with me on this?

Yes.

ballintoohard

« Reply #4142 on: August 06, 2018, 09:21:59 PM »
Ace

/thread

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4143 on: August 06, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
I’ve been on Venture hi’s (white stock bushings) for about 3 months now, ride them pretty loose-ish (can’t ride that wobbly stuff anymore) and I fucking love them. First trucks I haven’t had to tinker with or obsess about in a loooong time. I’ve been riding Indy’s since the stage 7’s, and I found myself hating the Stage 11’s, something about them just doesn’t vibe with me. Tried Thunders, enjoyed them, but at the same time I didn’t like the feel of them enough to keep them (personal preference).

I don’t see myself riding anything else for a long time.

I know I’m not cool for not riding wobbly loose trucks, but my manual tricks were starting to get way too hard.

It's not just you.

If Venture steps up to an 8.25" or I drop to an 8" (unlikely) or bump to 8.3/8.5" (possible) I'll sure give them another shot IF they make a V-Hollow lite - until then, it's Thunders, stock white bushings, having come to realize every other color, the clear colors anyway, feel much harder than the white stocks. It's the height and pop that gels with me.

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4144 on: August 07, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been on Venture hi’s (white stock bushings) for about 3 months now, ride them pretty loose-ish (can’t ride that wobbly stuff anymore) and I fucking love them. First trucks I haven’t had to tinker with or obsess about in a loooong time. I’ve been riding Indy’s since the stage 7’s, and I found myself hating the Stage 11’s, something about them just doesn’t vibe with me. Tried Thunders, enjoyed them, but at the same time I didn’t like the feel of them enough to keep them (personal preference).

I know I’m not cool for not riding wobbly loose trucks, but my manual tricks were starting to get way too hard.
[close]

It's not just you.

If Venture steps up to an 8.25" or I drop to an 8" (unlikely) or bump to 8.3/8.5" (possible) I'll sure give them another shot IF they make a V-Hollow lite - until then, it's Thunders, stock white bushings, having come to realize every other color, the clear colors anyway, feel much harder than the white stocks. It's the height and pop that gels with me.
I’ve got the 5.2 raw high’s on a 8.25 (I vary between that and 8.125), and they feel fine. Judging by the wheel bite marks on my 8.125 Magenta, they’re actually a tad wider than Indy 139’s. I’d definitely get a set if they made 8.25’s, but for now it’s not the end of the world, I enjoy my set up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:38:39 PM by TheBoognish »

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4145 on: August 07, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Debating whether to try Thunders or Ventures anyone have experience with both?
[close]

Tried Thunders after being an Indy guy for years, couldn’t stand the wheel bite and short base plates.
Now I am riding Venture 5.8 Hi’s, I love them too, nice and curvy and light on the wheel bite. I get marks with every truck I ride but I don’t get pitched by the Ventures. I also replaced the stock bushings with Indy white super softs.
I’m also a recent Venture convert after skating Indy’s for 6 years. I find that I’m able to skate them as loose as my Indy’s without having to modify the trucks with bushings etc. I just loosened them up when I got them and they were ready to go. I feel like I have a more controlled and reliable ride.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4146 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's not just you.

On one of venture's instagram posts, someone commented asking if they were gonna make an 8.25" truck and they replied saying that it was "in the works."

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4147 on: August 07, 2018, 05:23:30 PM »
got the new Tensor All-Terrain's in the mail today. Took a quick pic to show their height (the 5.75/8.38 axle) compared to Thunder 149's & some Venture 5.8s. Can't see from the angle, but they have as much kingpin clearance as ventures as well with a similar "lip" around the kingpin. Lighter than the Thunder Ti's too. They also push the wheelbase in more like Indy's & Theeves. Gonna take em for a spin tomorrow and can't wait to see how they turn and grind. I know of a good crusty out-ledge to see how they fair with Tailslides & Smith grinds.

First time skating magnesium too. Kinda weird that they have that matte-like finish compared to my usual polished aluminum but we'll see how they look after some grinds.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4148 on: August 07, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
Yeah I had thought they were to be a higher beefier truck....but you still get the lightness.....the opposite of an ace.....slim but heavier.....

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4149 on: August 07, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
Yeah I had thought they were to be a higher beefier truck....but you still get the lightness.....the opposite of an ace.....slim but heavier.....

yeah that's part of what got me hyped to try them because they have that hanger shape like ventures, but are lightweight like thunders. If I'm lucky they'll turn like Theeves and be my dream truck.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4150 on: August 07, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah that's part of what got me hyped to try them because they have that hanger shape like ventures, but are lightweight like thunders. If I'm lucky they'll turn like Theeves and be my dream truck.

They might be a little stiff at first but that'll change with a quick break in sesh.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4151 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:54 PM »
I used to only ride Indy but switched to Thunder and then Venture. Riding Ventures now and they are basically a Thunder but turns a bit slower and is beefy. I mod the stock bushing so I can ride really loose with the stock washers to keep the geometry the turn is kinda like indy but longer wheelbase. I can ride really loose without wheelbite so fun

I like how that sounds, I had to give up on thunder after a year or so, I just can't totally trust that quick turn. Plus I finally realized I don't really like low trucks.

What about the pop on ventures? Pushing the WB out like that seems like it would mess with my timing too much.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4152 on: August 08, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
In my experience , ventures and thunders have a quicker pop response than Indys. Could be wheelbase related, maybe not. I've felt my ollies on Indys to be more "floaty" than on ventures or thunders. I love Indys but for this exact reason, is why I dabble in ventures and thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4153 on: August 08, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
got the new Tensor All-Terrain's in the mail today. Took a quick pic to show their height (the 5.75/8.38 axle) compared to Thunder 149's & some Venture 5.8s. Can't see from the angle, but they have as much kingpin clearance as ventures as well with a similar "lip" around the kingpin. Lighter than the Thunder Ti's too. They also push the wheelbase in more like Indy's & Theeves. Gonna take em for a spin tomorrow and can't wait to see how they turn and grind. I know of a good crusty out-ledge to see how they fair with Tailslides & Smith grinds.

First time skating magnesium too. Kinda weird that they have that matte-like finish compared to my usual polished aluminum but we'll see how they look after some grinds.

Wow, the sensors look huge!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4154 on: August 08, 2018, 08:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like how that sounds, I had to give up on thunder after a year or so, I just can't totally trust that quick turn. Plus I finally realized I don't really like low trucks.

What about the pop on ventures? Pushing the WB out like that seems like it would mess with my timing too much.

Ventures have amazing pop IMO. They just don't turn how I'd like no matter what.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4155 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ventures have amazing pop IMO. They just don't turn how I'd like no matter what.

I tried someone's board with ventures briefly today. I've skated indy ace and thunder before. I agree the pop feels amazing, ollies felt much floatier than they usually do for me. Nice and stable, was neither too tight nor too loose, and the truck responded nicely to adjustments and I was able to lean pretty deep without wheelbite. Problem was the turn was so slow. Tried to turn left, and in the time it took me to turn 90 degrees, I could have probably done a full u turn on aces of a similar tightness. Interesting how they feel responsive but still have a slow turn. Would have been perfect otherwise. This is all based off a few minutes experience on someone elses setup though, could be better after getting used to it.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #4156 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow, the sensors look huge!

Yeah, it’s crazy how much bigger they are while still being noticeably lighter than even the thunder Ti’s. I Took them for a little spin yesterday and had some interesting first impressions

Bushings still probably need to be broken in some more, but they weren’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. I was riding them more loose than I usually do to help mush em down and I was getting some realllly deep turns. Coming from Ventures & thunders, that pushed in wheelbase is noticeable. I know Theeves geometry is similar but those feel more “centered” if anything. The tensors definitely feel like they tuck inwards, especially on the deep turns

I’ve never skated magnesium before, but I was pretty impressed by their grind. There’s this chunky ledge at the park that’s nearly unskatable like it’s been destroyed by bike pegs, that I’ve waxed the shit out of a couple times to get some rough struggle grinds. Ventures could handle it fairly well, the thunders defintely had more trouble snagging, but these tensors were grinding this shit fairly easy with NO wax.  Probably the most impressive aspect I noticed on the first session. It can handle those rough edges exceptionally well

The height is what’s probably gonna take the most getting used to for me. I haven’t skated Indy’s recently enough to give an accurate comparison, but I defintely had to be more deliberate with my pop on the tensors compared to my Thunders & Ventures. I didn’t do too many flip tricks because I was focused more on the turns & grinds this first session, but I did pop off a couple kickflips and heelflips that were dumb high, even for me. Gonna have to get used to the trucks some more though to do those like that consistently.

Gonna wake up early on Saturday and put them through the ringer with a good 2-3 hour session to reallllly break em in. So far tho, they’re defintely interesting. Honestly my biggest complaint is how they look. Not a fan of the matte finish or the black nuts/washers. Shoulda got the gloss black hanger with some silver nuts or some shit

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #4157 on: August 10, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I tried someone's board with ventures briefly today. I've skated indy ace and thunder before. I agree the pop feels amazing, ollies felt much floatier than they usually do for me. Nice and stable, was neither too tight nor too loose, and the truck responded nicely to adjustments and I was able to lean pretty deep without wheelbite. Problem was the turn was so slow. Tried to turn left, and in the time it took me to turn 90 degrees, I could have probably done a full u turn on aces of a similar tightness. Interesting how they feel responsive but still have a slow turn. Would have been perfect otherwise. This is all based off a few minutes experience on someone elses setup though, could be better after getting used to it.

Highs (purple bushing) or Lows(red bushing)?

In my experience you have to work more for pop on Highs but they turn really well.

They might as well be different trucks.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #4158 on: August 10, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »
Questions as I plan another foray into Indys:

Ride differences between the Standard, the Hollow, and the Forged Hollow?

Can you get away with the Forged Hollows and 54+mm wheels?

Do any Indys come stock with a softer bushing? I never got my Stage 10s as turny as I liked with stock bushings.

Do I just wait for Venture to put out their 8.25 truck?...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4159 on: August 10, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Highs (purple bushing) or Lows(red bushing)?

In my experience you have to work more for pop on Highs but they turn really well.

They might as well be different trucks.

Damn, I'm not too sure. It did feel like the board was a bit higher than my indy 149s with forged plates, tail took a little longer to hit the ground so I'm guessing highs, can't say for sure though. The turn wasn't necessarily bad, but just slow compared to indys or aces.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4160 on: August 10, 2018, 06:02:15 PM »
I think Venture 5.8 fits perfect with 8.25 decks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4161 on: August 10, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »
Questions as I plan another foray into Indys:

Ride differences between the Standard, the Hollow, and the Forged Hollow?

Can you get away with the Forged Hollows and 54+mm wheels?

Do any Indys come stock with a softer bushing? I never got my Stage 10s as turny as I liked with stock bushings.

Do I just wait for Venture to put out their 8.25 truck?...

Weight and 'tinny-ness' with forged

Yes, 55 MM wheels are up to 56 MM wheels; by that logic, 54mm wheels should be fine for a 53.5mm truck (also depends on how tight you ride)

Yes, the stock 90a (orange) bushing is pretty squishy; aftermarkets are better.

Thunder, Indy, Theeve and Krux (royal, fury, destructo, bullet, industrial, silver; ace, ML, Tensor 8.3x) all make 8.25s so up to you if you want to wait for venture.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:35:24 PM by Xen »

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #4162 on: August 12, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
my dad swoop this thing from the flea market for $5

what year roughly are these indys? they have six holes in the baseplate

even the steven

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4163 on: August 12, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
7's....8 has the cross on the pivot point.  Google works great for this kinda stuff...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4164 on: August 13, 2018, 06:04:28 AM »
7’s were so good...

So I got some of those new ace 44’s, do I need to break them in like thunders (I.e don’t fuck with them for 2-3sessions)? Any tips would be appreciated ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4165 on: August 13, 2018, 07:46:26 AM »
Yes. The bushings will be hard and the turn will not be perfect initially but after breaking them in they’ll be perfect.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #4166 on: August 13, 2018, 08:32:52 AM »
Definitely break them in. I don’t skate my trucks very loose, but after the bushings hardened up a bit, I barely tightened them at all.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4167 on: August 13, 2018, 08:36:42 AM »
I have a set of 8's but most of the trucks from that era are commonly narrow....work great on a zip zinger.....

Around that time I don't think indys were that cool....everyone was skating ventures or starting to experiment w all the other truck companies....

Indy like thrasher.....no one cared about despite what everyone is saying now....

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4168 on: August 13, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
I have a set of 8's but most of the trucks from that era are commonly narrow....work great on a zip zinger.....

Around that time I don't think indys were that cool....everyone was skating ventures or starting to experiment w all the other truck companies....

Indy like thrasher.....no one cared about despite what everyone is saying now....

I always remember ventures being talked up as the top dog in trucks, Indy's were "old school".

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4169 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »
When I started skating in 00, everyone was raving about grind kings - I still agree with the kingpin.