Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220845 times)

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4200 on: August 27, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »
Question for truck nerds:

How important is kingpin clearance to you? Is it just a mental thing or does a truck with more kingpin clearance truly outperform a truck with less kingpin clearance on grinds?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #4201 on: August 27, 2018, 06:28:56 AM »
Question for truck nerds:

How important is kingpin clearance to you? Is it just a mental thing or does a truck with more kingpin clearance truly outperform a truck with less kingpin clearance on grinds?

they make a lot of difference for me with smith grinds, the worst case of kingpin stick out ive had was with thunder lows, could literally feel my kingpin scraping against the ledge as i grinded, filing it down made a big difference.

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4202 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:21 AM »
i replaced a kingpin on my old thunders and it ended up being about level with the hangar. thought i could power through it but shit was so bad on as mentioned above smith grinds. stuck an angle grinder on it and it was fine thereafter. if you look at people who do alot of smith/feebles their kingpin/but tend to get worn down on a weird angle so obviously it's not stopping them but i'd rather have less than more.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4203 on: August 27, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
What’s the verdict on Thunder’s new forged baseplates (1 mm higher) vs the old cast ones?

I want to get a set but I don’t know if I should get the old or the new

There is no new forged plate (yet, extended one maybe still coming?).

The cast plate is what you are referencing; it is 1mm taller than the forged plates.

Why they don't make a taller forged plate, I don't know...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4204 on: August 27, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
I'm skating the new cast ones I dunno if it's much different than the previous ones but yes, a mm higher.   Hadn't skated thunders in years so hard for me to compare but I haven't gotten wheel bite as badly as expected on these trucks. 

I slipped in the krux kingpins and I'm loving them.  Some people like how the kingpin helps lock in smiths/feebs but I hate how it feels.  Another reason why an Indy is a good truck is...more truck ie. better clearance. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4205 on: August 27, 2018, 09:03:22 AM »
I remember when thunder lows would grind the kingpin just 50ing a rail, they're better now, but still ridiculous imo.
Theeve's don't have that problem as bad, but I still use the krux kingpin just to get as much as possible which looks to be about 8mm.

baustin

« Reply #4206 on: August 27, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
Those Krux kingpins do look nice. I swear if Thunder would do a truck with a longer baseplate and inverted kingpin I would never experience truck madness again because other than sometimes getting snagged on slides and grinds they feel perfect... I feel myself being pulled back to Venture but I wanna push through and skate a set of trucks till they die

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4207 on: August 28, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »
has anyone made the switch from indy 149 standards to thunder 149's? just curious because i miss riding thunders (old gen 147s)

IHOP

« Reply #4208 on: August 29, 2018, 12:04:12 AM »
Those Krux kingpins do look nice. I swear if Thunder would do a truck with a longer baseplate and inverted kingpin I would never experience truck madness again because other than sometimes getting snagged on slides and grinds they feel perfect... I feel myself being pulled back to Venture but I wanna push through and skate a set of trucks till they die

100% agree with everything besides the inverted kingpin, even the part about being pulled towards ventures but just sticking with thunders.  When will the madness end

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #4209 on: August 30, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
One of the kingpins on my Indy stage 11 is all wiggly and the area around it is cracked, trucks feel squirrelly as fuck now because of it. Was going to fork out the money for a new truck and just replace the baseplate but then I saw that skatewarehouse sells these for only like 5 bucks each: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_6_Hole_Baseplate/descpage-IN6HBPL.html
I thought it was strange that they're only 5 bucks each for such a crucial part of the truck, but I bought two and I was gonna just move the bushings, hangars and pivot cups from my current trucks over to these. Has anyone skated these before? Besides the fact that there's six holes on each is there any big difference compared to regular stage 11 standard baseplates?

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #4210 on: August 30, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »
One of the kingpins on my Indy stage 11 is all wiggly and the area around it is cracked, trucks feel squirrelly as fuck now because of it. Was going to fork out the money for a new truck and just replace the baseplate but then I saw that skatewarehouse sells these for only like 5 bucks each: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_6_Hole_Baseplate/descpage-IN6HBPL.html
I thought it was strange that they're only 5 bucks each for such a crucial part of the truck, but I bought two and I was gonna just move the bushings, hangars and pivot cups from my current trucks over to these. Has anyone skated these before? Besides the fact that there's six holes on each is there any big difference compared to regular stage 11 standard baseplates?

might as well buy new pivot cups while you are at it and save the trouble of yanking out the old ones

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4211 on: September 01, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
I just found some stage 5 or 6 Indys at my folks house. They are old school drilled. Do current base plates fit?

On a side note, also found an 87 Metallica deck that has the graphics worn completely off, and a Jason Lee American Icons deck in pretty rough condition

Diocletian

« Reply #4212 on: September 01, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »

They’re the same baseplate with just six holes in it, like you said. They don’t come with pivot cups in them so either you’ll have to use your old ones or buy new ones separately.

rip louis b.k.

• Rep: 15
  • im fadies
« Reply #4213 on: September 04, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
it's fucked up, and i hate to admit it, but i saw a post about tensors and their new geometry and i'm tempted. i had a pair when i first started skating and still as a little shit i broke them, but maybe they've changed (which is what's fucked me over with my last few ex's so maybe im dead wrong). im skating some krux with stock bushings and the allen key kingpins. they grind and turn perfectly but the axle slips like no other and i run through pivot cups, and i wanna try something new. might even try ace again.

micky682

« Reply #4214 on: September 05, 2018, 05:08:42 AM »
My Indys keep slipping.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #4215 on: September 05, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
My Indys keep slipping.

That's why I went to Aces 2 years ago.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4216 on: September 05, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
it's fucked up, and i hate to admit it, but i saw a post about tensors and their new geometry and i'm tempted. i had a pair when i first started skating and still as a little shit i broke them, but maybe they've changed (which is what's fucked me over with my last few ex's so maybe im dead wrong). im skating some krux with stock bushings and the allen key kingpins. they grind and turn perfectly but the axle slips like no other and i run through pivot cups, and i wanna try something new. might even try ace again.

They’re not bad, I got some to try out and was pretty impressed with how the magnesium grinded and how light they were. They’re a very tall truck and they tuck the wheelbase in so they didn’t work for me on my main deck (threw my fliptricks off cuz I’m used to thunder/Venture geometry) , but I got them on my girls cruiser and they’re great for that. Really deep surfy turn that you wouldn’t expect from Tensor, but they’re solid. Matte finish on the silver magnesium joints feels weird in hand tho

All in all, I’d say they’re worth a shot if you’re interested. Doesn’t hurt to have more legit truck options out there to choose from

As for myself, I’m back on my Thunders and IM STICKING TO THEM TIL THEY BREAK ON ME

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #4217 on: September 05, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
Holy shit, that pic is me. I spent the first 4 hours of today like " I always go back to Indy, who am I kidding ", then the next 4 like "these thunders are pretty sweet though." (Also have ventures in my arsenal). Right now I'm afraid to go in my basement where my coffee table is covered in trucks and tools

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #4218 on: September 05, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
Are 147 highs as tall as 48s and 49s now?

i almost started to read this thread again (i was on page 103), but then remembered that i'm good now.
#thisisnotslippage

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4219 on: September 06, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »

Guilty.

Holy shit, that pic is me. I spent the first 4 hours of today like " I always go back to Indy, who am I kidding ", then the next 4 like "these thunders are pretty sweet though." (Also have ventures in my arsenal). Right now I'm afraid to go in my basement where my coffee table is covered in trucks and tools

The OCD is real...

I've removed Indy from the equation altogether, so one down.

For me it's ACE, Theeve and Thunder....right now I'm on a thunder kick, it's the height and twitchy-ness when loose.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:26:46 AM by Xen »

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4220 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
I'm a few weeks in on some Mini Logo 8.38 trucks with bones hard bushings.  Before I was riding Thunder 149 team hi's and even though it took me a few sessions to get used to the difference in how they turn and react, I've got to admit I really like them.  They seem to grind really smooth.  I had seen mixed reviews but I wanted to give em a try.  I'm glad I did.  I think I'll stick with them for a while. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #4221 on: September 06, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »
I'm a few weeks in on some Mini Logo 8.38 trucks with bones hard bushings.  Before I was riding Thunder 149 team hi's and even though it took me a few sessions to get used to the difference in how they turn and react, I've got to admit I really like them.  They seem to grind really smooth.  I had seen mixed reviews but I wanted to give em a try.  I'm glad I did.  I think I'll stick with them for a while.

I had mine set up with Bones Hard for a while and the turn seemed to not be all that smooth. They were a bit too stable on center and not very surfy.  I swapped to Mediums and cranked them down a bit more.  It really helped.  I am 5'10" and 180.  Grind is really smooth. 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4222 on: September 07, 2018, 01:30:34 AM »
Are y’all talkin bout mini logo trucks?? They’re the only trucks besides thunders I can ride on boards bigger than 8

If I’m gonna have a 8.+ deck those are the only trucks light and stable low enough for me to get board control before it becomes a tank

Can’t decide between venture lo or my thunder hi...

I always go to reliable thunder but the ventures were decently good the time I had them on, I noticed ventures are good for krooked grinds too, got a sweet krook groove, possibly the only krook groove I’ve ever gotten on my venture lo too

Pj Ladd is my real inspiration to trying them and liking them but idk...thunders can turn and fast

Would anyone be able to check me on this but do you feel the tensor alloys/any usual generic but real quality skate trucks base their design off old indys?

I feel like the alloys really are like maybe a stage 7/8 based design

The shape and the way they turn seem like the way an old indy would
yes

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4223 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had mine set up with Bones Hard for a while and the turn seemed to not be all that smooth. They were a bit too stable on center and not very surfy.  I swapped to Mediums and cranked them down a bit more.  It really helped.  I am 5'10" and 180.  Grind is really smooth.

I've got a set of broken in Mediums lying around.  I may put them in and see if it's even better.  Thanks.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #4224 on: September 07, 2018, 06:22:21 AM »
For me it's ACE, Theeve and Thunder....right now I'm on a thunder kick, it's the height and twitchy-ness when loose.

How do Theeves compare on turnyness? Don't they shrink the WB?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4225 on: September 07, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
Imagine if you took ACEs and Thunders and mashed them together to get a surfy turn that is stable on center. Doesn't extend your wb like thunders do either, which is a plus for shortys like me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4226 on: September 07, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Imagine if you took ACEs and Thunders and mashed them together to get a surfy turn that is stable on center. Doesn't extend your wb like thunders do either, which is a plus for shortys like me.

Beat me to the post!

Whenever I get truck OCD, flopping between Thunder and ACE, I throw on my Theeves and it goes away.

baustin

« Reply #4227 on: September 07, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Beat me to the post!

Whenever I get truck OCD, flopping between Thunder and ACE, I throw on my Theeves and it goes away.

Sometimes I think Theeves would be the answer to all of my truck woes, but their branding/marketing puts me off. It's dumb, but I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board. Anyway I finally got some Krux kingpins to go into my Thunders, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm gonna grind them to the axle if it kills me...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4228 on: September 07, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Beat me to the post!

[close]

Sometimes I think Theeves would be the answer to all of my truck woes, but their branding/marketing puts me off. It's dumb, but I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board. Anyway I finally got some Krux kingpins to go into my Thunders, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm gonna grind them to the axle if it kills me...

I feel you, but at some point you just have to say fuck it if it works; I'd ride a darkstar board if they came out with the exact shape/dimensions of the deck I want (and can't find). Theeves are great and underrated for the reasons you cite. They turn great, are light, grind great (don't get the ti), stable on center and are lower than the 55mm they state...what's not to love (once you get over the shitty name, bad logo and ugly hanger design? ;)

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4229 on: September 07, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Beat me to the post!

[close]

Haha yeah, honestly if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (let’s be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer. Anytime I go back to them there’s little to no adjustment period for me skating-wise, they always feel natural. If they had forged baseplates or even hollowed out their cast ones ala thunder, I couldn’t give you a legit reason why I’d personally skate anything else but alas, that DLX marketing and seeing all my favorites riding thunders or ventures (as compared to Moose, Brandon Turner, & Hoffart w/ Theeve) pulls me back in every time. They are definitely great trucks and deserve much more relevance in the Truck game IMO. Even if I’m not currently skating them at the time, I’ll always vouche for em 100%