Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 294530 times)

sododgy and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BRIX SKWIKZ

• Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4230 on: August 20, 2018, 06:26:29 AM »
well ive been riding some indys for a while ,big heavy oldschool style to go with my powell peralta 64mm minicubics

but a friend hooked me up with a set of crail bufoni´s and i couldnt be more pleased!

they turn like an indy, super stable with

moog bushings

but light as fuck with that hollow pin

ive been kickflipping like a beast in 51mm make wheels and urgh boards

THEY GRIND REALLY GOOD EITHER

long gone are the days when you could only find toy sk8s in brazil!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:30:22 AM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4231 on: August 20, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »
Rob - what size board are you riding the 8.25 on?

And what do you mean the sizing is true? In relation to the sizing on the older set I posted above?

Riding the 8.25 on my 8.25 rick howard girl and kinda prefer it because I can keep the true wheelbase compared the thunders pushing it out

The older tensors(the tens regulars and lows) follow the old sizing where 5.25=7.9 & 5.5=8.125 but the alloys and all terrain are actually 5.25=8 and 5.5=8.25

From what I’m getting so far with my alloys, I can post a pic of you want(with the label 5.25 and a tape measure axle to axle)

This helps quite a bit. The older pair I posted above are 5.75. The axle measures 8.3 and the hanger measures just a hair under 6.75. I can't decide with the new geometry if I want to go 5.75 or 5.5. Can you do me a favor whenever you get the chance, positively no rush, is measure the hanger width on your 5.5. Thanks Rob.

Sorry heritage and everyone for going awol

The first trucks from left to right

Some old 5.75 prototype tensor mags before the all terrain

Tensor alloys 5.5

Tensor tens 5.5

Thunder 148

Ace 44 classics(the newest ones)

Indy 144

Call me a poser, I don’t spend enough time on a set to grind them and you guys know this, I just pop some Ollie’s and flips tricks and swap them out

This is just 1/4 maybe 1/5 of my trucks collection

Gonna finally get some destructos soon, the lows

Cause recently found out I like smaller decks again, 7.8-8

Maybe an 8.12 And I wanna have an mid 2000 type setup

Small deck, old brand trucks, 99a wheels
yes

brwrxstl

• Rep: -23
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4232 on: August 23, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
7's....8 has the cross on the pivot point.  Google works great for this kinda stuff...

Ew dude get over yourself. If you'd look that shit up on Google yourself you'd see why he asked...and even still, maybe he just asked because he wanted to get an actual answer because he wanted actual feedback.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -184
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4233 on: August 24, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
Theeve has the TiHangers on their site for preorder, with them coming out Sept. 15.
 $250 though

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4234 on: August 24, 2018, 08:09:24 PM »
Theeve has the TiHangers on their site for preorder, with them coming out Sept. 15.
 $250 though

SW will get some stock, no one will buy them, nab them on the next big sale.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4235 on: August 24, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
I'll sell my tih's if anyone is intersted....

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4236 on: August 24, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »
Hey guys I know this isn’t the classified section but anyone got some indy 129 stage 11 they wanna sell or trade?
yes

DONKEYSAUCE

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4237 on: August 25, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »

Tedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #4238 on: August 26, 2018, 09:52:50 AM »
What’s the verdict on Thunder’s new forged baseplates (1 mm higher) vs the old cast ones?

I want to get a set but I don’t know if I should get the old or the new

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4239 on: August 27, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »
Question for truck nerds:

How important is kingpin clearance to you? Is it just a mental thing or does a truck with more kingpin clearance truly outperform a truck with less kingpin clearance on grinds?

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #4240 on: August 27, 2018, 06:28:56 AM »
Question for truck nerds:

How important is kingpin clearance to you? Is it just a mental thing or does a truck with more kingpin clearance truly outperform a truck with less kingpin clearance on grinds?

they make a lot of difference for me with smith grinds, the worst case of kingpin stick out ive had was with thunder lows, could literally feel my kingpin scraping against the ledge as i grinded, filing it down made a big difference.

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 114
« Reply #4241 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:21 AM »
i replaced a kingpin on my old thunders and it ended up being about level with the hangar. thought i could power through it but shit was so bad on as mentioned above smith grinds. stuck an angle grinder on it and it was fine thereafter. if you look at people who do alot of smith/feebles their kingpin/but tend to get worn down on a weird angle so obviously it's not stopping them but i'd rather have less than more.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4242 on: August 27, 2018, 06:35:19 AM »
What’s the verdict on Thunder’s new forged baseplates (1 mm higher) vs the old cast ones?

I want to get a set but I don’t know if I should get the old or the new

There is no new forged plate (yet, extended one maybe still coming?).

The cast plate is what you are referencing; it is 1mm taller than the forged plates.

Why they don't make a taller forged plate, I don't know...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4243 on: August 27, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
I'm skating the new cast ones I dunno if it's much different than the previous ones but yes, a mm higher.   Hadn't skated thunders in years so hard for me to compare but I haven't gotten wheel bite as badly as expected on these trucks. 

I slipped in the krux kingpins and I'm loving them.  Some people like how the kingpin helps lock in smiths/feebs but I hate how it feels.  Another reason why an Indy is a good truck is...more truck ie. better clearance. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4244 on: August 27, 2018, 09:03:22 AM »
I remember when thunder lows would grind the kingpin just 50ing a rail, they're better now, but still ridiculous imo.
Theeve's don't have that problem as bad, but I still use the krux kingpin just to get as much as possible which looks to be about 8mm.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4245 on: August 27, 2018, 09:11:27 AM »
Those Krux kingpins do look nice. I swear if Thunder would do a truck with a longer baseplate and inverted kingpin I would never experience truck madness again because other than sometimes getting snagged on slides and grinds they feel perfect... I feel myself being pulled back to Venture but I wanna push through and skate a set of trucks till they die

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4246 on: August 28, 2018, 10:10:13 PM »
has anyone made the switch from indy 149 standards to thunder 149's? just curious because i miss riding thunders (old gen 147s)

IHOP

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4247 on: August 29, 2018, 12:04:12 AM »
Those Krux kingpins do look nice. I swear if Thunder would do a truck with a longer baseplate and inverted kingpin I would never experience truck madness again because other than sometimes getting snagged on slides and grinds they feel perfect... I feel myself being pulled back to Venture but I wanna push through and skate a set of trucks till they die

100% agree with everything besides the inverted kingpin, even the part about being pulled towards ventures but just sticking with thunders.  When will the madness end
only in skateboarding is putting an adult in a position where they might have to actually work for their income "ruining their life"  ::)

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4248 on: August 30, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
One of the kingpins on my Indy stage 11 is all wiggly and the area around it is cracked, trucks feel squirrelly as fuck now because of it. Was going to fork out the money for a new truck and just replace the baseplate but then I saw that skatewarehouse sells these for only like 5 bucks each: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_6_Hole_Baseplate/descpage-IN6HBPL.html
I thought it was strange that they're only 5 bucks each for such a crucial part of the truck, but I bought two and I was gonna just move the bushings, hangars and pivot cups from my current trucks over to these. Has anyone skated these before? Besides the fact that there's six holes on each is there any big difference compared to regular stage 11 standard baseplates?

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4249 on: August 30, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »
One of the kingpins on my Indy stage 11 is all wiggly and the area around it is cracked, trucks feel squirrelly as fuck now because of it. Was going to fork out the money for a new truck and just replace the baseplate but then I saw that skatewarehouse sells these for only like 5 bucks each: https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Independent_6_Hole_Baseplate/descpage-IN6HBPL.html
I thought it was strange that they're only 5 bucks each for such a crucial part of the truck, but I bought two and I was gonna just move the bushings, hangars and pivot cups from my current trucks over to these. Has anyone skated these before? Besides the fact that there's six holes on each is there any big difference compared to regular stage 11 standard baseplates?

might as well buy new pivot cups while you are at it and save the trouble of yanking out the old ones

anon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4250 on: August 31, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »
i got some mini logo bushings just because they were the only ones that were white and, to my surprise, there hasn't been any squeaking!

backinaction

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4251 on: September 01, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
I just found some stage 5 or 6 Indys at my folks house. They are old school drilled. Do current base plates fit?

On a side note, also found an 87 Metallica deck that has the graphics worn completely off, and a Jason Lee American Icons deck in pretty rough condition

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4252 on: September 01, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »

They’re the same baseplate with just six holes in it, like you said. They don’t come with pivot cups in them so either you’ll have to use your old ones or buy new ones separately.

rip louis b.k.

• Rep: 6
  • im fadies
« Reply #4253 on: September 04, 2018, 01:19:24 PM »
it's fucked up, and i hate to admit it, but i saw a post about tensors and their new geometry and i'm tempted. i had a pair when i first started skating and still as a little shit i broke them, but maybe they've changed (which is what's fucked me over with my last few ex's so maybe im dead wrong). im skating some krux with stock bushings and the allen key kingpins. they grind and turn perfectly but the axle slips like no other and i run through pivot cups, and i wanna try something new. might even try ace again.

micky682

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #4254 on: September 05, 2018, 05:08:42 AM »
My Indys keep slipping.
Keenan had that special ability to make his switch tricks better than his regular tricks but still let you know they were switch.

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #4255 on: September 05, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
My Indys keep slipping.

That's why I went to Aces 2 years ago.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -184
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4256 on: September 05, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
it's fucked up, and i hate to admit it, but i saw a post about tensors and their new geometry and i'm tempted. i had a pair when i first started skating and still as a little shit i broke them, but maybe they've changed (which is what's fucked me over with my last few ex's so maybe im dead wrong). im skating some krux with stock bushings and the allen key kingpins. they grind and turn perfectly but the axle slips like no other and i run through pivot cups, and i wanna try something new. might even try ace again.

They’re not bad, I got some to try out and was pretty impressed with how the magnesium grinded and how light they were. They’re a very tall truck and they tuck the wheelbase in so they didn’t work for me on my main deck (threw my fliptricks off cuz I’m used to thunder/Venture geometry) , but I got them on my girls cruiser and they’re great for that. Really deep surfy turn that you wouldn’t expect from Tensor, but they’re solid. Matte finish on the silver magnesium joints feels weird in hand tho

All in all, I’d say they’re worth a shot if you’re interested. Doesn’t hurt to have more legit truck options out there to choose from

As for myself, I’m back on my Thunders and IM STICKING TO THEM TIL THEY BREAK ON ME

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #4257 on: September 05, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
Holy shit, that pic is me. I spent the first 4 hours of today like " I always go back to Indy, who am I kidding ", then the next 4 like "these thunders are pretty sweet though." (Also have ventures in my arsenal). Right now I'm afraid to go in my basement where my coffee table is covered in trucks and tools
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #4258 on: September 05, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »
Are 147 highs as tall as 48s and 49s now?

i almost started to read this thread again (i was on page 103), but then remembered that i'm good now.
#thisisnotslippage

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4259 on: September 06, 2018, 09:22:18 AM »

Guilty.

Holy shit, that pic is me. I spent the first 4 hours of today like " I always go back to Indy, who am I kidding ", then the next 4 like "these thunders are pretty sweet though." (Also have ventures in my arsenal). Right now I'm afraid to go in my basement where my coffee table is covered in trucks and tools

The OCD is real...

I've removed Indy from the equation altogether, so one down.

For me it's ACE, Theeve and Thunder....right now I'm on a thunder kick, it's the height and twitchy-ness when loose.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:26:46 AM by Xen »