Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 294805 times)

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 9
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4260 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »
I'm a few weeks in on some Mini Logo 8.38 trucks with bones hard bushings.  Before I was riding Thunder 149 team hi's and even though it took me a few sessions to get used to the difference in how they turn and react, I've got to admit I really like them.  They seem to grind really smooth.  I had seen mixed reviews but I wanted to give em a try.  I'm glad I did.  I think I'll stick with them for a while. 
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

backinaction

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4261 on: September 06, 2018, 10:38:07 AM »
I'm a few weeks in on some Mini Logo 8.38 trucks with bones hard bushings.  Before I was riding Thunder 149 team hi's and even though it took me a few sessions to get used to the difference in how they turn and react, I've got to admit I really like them.  They seem to grind really smooth.  I had seen mixed reviews but I wanted to give em a try.  I'm glad I did.  I think I'll stick with them for a while.

I had mine set up with Bones Hard for a while and the turn seemed to not be all that smooth. They were a bit too stable on center and not very surfy.  I swapped to Mediums and cranked them down a bit more.  It really helped.  I am 5'10" and 180.  Grind is really smooth. 

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4262 on: September 07, 2018, 01:30:34 AM »
Are yíall talkin bout mini logo trucks?? Theyíre the only trucks besides thunders I can ride on boards bigger than 8

If Iím gonna have a 8.+ deck those are the only trucks light and stable low enough for me to get board control before it becomes a tank

Canít decide between venture lo or my thunder hi...

I always go to reliable thunder but the ventures were decently good the time I had them on, I noticed ventures are good for krooked grinds too, got a sweet krook groove, possibly the only krook groove Iíve ever gotten on my venture lo too

Pj Ladd is my real inspiration to trying them and liking them but idk...thunders can turn and fast

Would anyone be able to check me on this but do you feel the tensor alloys/any usual generic but real quality skate trucks base their design off old indys?

I feel like the alloys really are like maybe a stage 7/8 based design

The shape and the way they turn seem like the way an old indy would
yes

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4263 on: September 07, 2018, 05:58:32 AM »

I had mine set up with Bones Hard for a while and the turn seemed to not be all that smooth. They were a bit too stable on center and not very surfy.  I swapped to Mediums and cranked them down a bit more.  It really helped.  I am 5'10" and 180.  Grind is really smooth.

I've got a set of broken in Mediums lying around.  I may put them in and see if it's even better.  Thanks.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4264 on: September 07, 2018, 06:22:21 AM »
For me it's ACE, Theeve and Thunder....right now I'm on a thunder kick, it's the height and twitchy-ness when loose.

How do Theeves compare on turnyness? Don't they shrink the WB?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4265 on: September 07, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
Imagine if you took ACEs and Thunders and mashed them together to get a surfy turn that is stable on center. Doesn't extend your wb like thunders do either, which is a plus for shortys like me.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #4266 on: September 07, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »
Imagine if you took ACEs and Thunders and mashed them together to get a surfy turn that is stable on center. Doesn't extend your wb like thunders do either, which is a plus for shortys like me.

Beat me to the post!

Whenever I get truck OCD, flopping between Thunder and ACE, I throw on my Theeves and it goes away.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4267 on: September 07, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »

Beat me to the post!

Whenever I get truck OCD, flopping between Thunder and ACE, I throw on my Theeves and it goes away.

Sometimes I think Theeves would be the answer to all of my truck woes, but their branding/marketing puts me off. It's dumb, but I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board. Anyway I finally got some Krux kingpins to go into my Thunders, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm gonna grind them to the axle if it kills me...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4268 on: September 07, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »

Beat me to the post!

Sometimes I think Theeves would be the answer to all of my truck woes, but their branding/marketing puts me off. It's dumb, but I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board. Anyway I finally got some Krux kingpins to go into my Thunders, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm gonna grind them to the axle if it kills me...

I feel you, but at some point you just have to say fuck it if it works; I'd ride a darkstar board if they came out with the exact shape/dimensions of the deck I want (and can't find). Theeves are great and underrated for the reasons you cite. They turn great, are light, grind great (don't get the ti), stable on center and are lower than the 55mm they state...what's not to love (once you get over the shitty name, bad logo and ugly hanger design? ;)

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -184
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4269 on: September 07, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »

Beat me to the post!

Haha yeah, honestly if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (letís be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer. Anytime I go back to them thereís little to no adjustment period for me skating-wise, they always feel natural. If they had forged baseplates or even hollowed out their cast ones ala thunder, I couldnít give you a legit reason why Iíd personally skate anything else but alas, that DLX marketing and seeing all my favorites riding thunders or ventures (as compared to Moose, Brandon Turner, & Hoffart w/ Theeve) pulls me back in every time. They are definitely great trucks and deserve much more relevance in the Truck game IMO. Even if Iím not currently skating them at the time, Iíll always vouche for em 100%

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 86
  • AndyRoysNeck
« Reply #4270 on: September 08, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
sort of off topic here but i have a pair of defective thunders and i emailed thunder 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. is there a better way to get in touch with them?

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4271 on: September 08, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
sort of off topic here but i have a pair of defective thunders and i emailed thunder 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. is there a better way to get in touch with them?
Try to dm mattdlx maybe?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4272 on: September 09, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »

Beat me to the post!

Haha yeah, honestly if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (letís be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer. Anytime I go back to them thereís little to no adjustment period for me skating-wise, they always feel natural. If they had forged baseplates or even hollowed out their cast ones ala thunder, I couldnít give you a legit reason why Iíd personally skate anything else but alas, that DLX marketing and seeing all my favorites riding thunders or ventures (as compared to Moose, Brandon Turner, & Hoffart w/ Theeve) pulls me back in every time. They are definitely great trucks and deserve much more relevance in the Truck game IMO. Even if Iím not currently skating them at the time, Iíll always vouche for em 100%

Yeah Iíd try Theeve out if they removed their name off the hanger and baseplate and left everything blank. Would basically just look like an Indy stage 7 knockoff hanger thatís made in China. Iíd live with it, just canít live with the model identifier on that hanger, the company name and logo on the baseplate. Itís abhorrent.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4273 on: September 10, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
I've mentioned it a few times but I skated Theeve's for a year straight and was incredibly happy with them.  No complaints whatsoever and then the kingpins started falling out of the baseplates.  I had it happen to 3 pairs and I just had to give up and move on.

That's when my truck madness started.  I'm always searching for the same feel Theeves give but no other company has it.  Almost bought a pair over the weekend to try them again but ended up getting some Venture 5.8's

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4274 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:34 PM »
Yah....theeves deserve to be in the same convo as the main three truck co's plus ACE.  You get a good turning radius, but lower height...decent quality. 

But yah...the team and marketing suck....

Right now I'm into thunders...the only complaint I have is that all the generator boards I've been skating tend to have the 14 3/8ths wheelbase...so thunders make the wheelbase seem huge.

If I was skating a PS board they'd maybe set up a bit better....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4275 on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »
Yah....theeves deserve to be in the same convo as the main three truck co's plus ACE.  You get a good turning radius, but lower height...decent quality. 

Right now I'm into thunders...the only complaint I have is that all the generator boards I've been skating tend to have the 14 3/8ths wheelbase...so thunders make the wheelbase seem huge.

If I was skating a PS board they'd maybe set up a bit better....

That's my preferred wheelbase if I can find it when riding ACE or Theeve, it just feels good; better to me, than a 14.25" WB with Thunders. Sometimes I like the more neutral stance ACE/Theeve/Indy give you.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4276 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
I really liked theeve for the turn response and especially the grind but idk, they donít grind as smooth as they use to when they had the v2 with the bushing lip problem

yes

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4277 on: September 11, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board...
if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (letís be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer
just canít live with the model identifier on that hanger, the company name and logo on the baseplate
So sad to hear you're all bound by the perceptions of others...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4278 on: September 11, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (letís be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer
just canít live with the model identifier on that hanger, the company name and logo on the baseplate

Funny, I could not care less about who rides for what 'team' as pop, shape, durability, turn/height/weight, size, shape, duro, grip, slide are all that really matters. As for looks, Indy's yoke is the fugliest and most bloated on the market

Sizing up so while trying to figure out what trucks to ride I decided to just pick up some 8.5" Tiax to throw on my tiking plates and be done with it.

I really liked theeve for the turn response and especially the grind but idk, they donít grind as smooth as they use to when they had the v2 with the bushing lip problem

They claim nothing changed but having ridden V1/V2/V3, the V1/v2 turned and grinded better. The metal was also a bit darker, tho that could have been due to casting; I loved the V2 and rode loose enough to not have bushing blow out.

The last pair of TiHs I rode (bones softs) felt quicker than the V3 (bones softs) in turning as well.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -184
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4279 on: September 11, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »

For me itís not even that, itís more a matter of wanting to be excited about the gear Iím riding. The vast majority of my favorite pros skate thunders and I like their webclips, so itís hard not to gravitate towards them. Whenís the last time you got hyped to skate off a Theeve webclip?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #4280 on: September 12, 2018, 06:51:24 AM »
For me itís not even that, itís more a matter of wanting to be excited about the gear Iím riding. The vast majority of my favorite pros skate thunders and I like their webclips, so itís hard not to gravitate towards them. Whenís the last time you got hyped to skate off a Theeve webclip?
Any clip that is Bastien gets me hyped, but I don't translate the hype I get from watching people rip to wanting their trucks. I know what thunders, indys, aces feel like. Seeing someone rip with them doesn't change the way they feel under my board. However, if one of those major companies designed a truck with an oval yoke, I'd be on that shit ASAP.

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4281 on: September 13, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »

For me itís not even that, itís more a matter of wanting to be excited about the gear Iím riding.

Exactly. Has nothing to do with anyone elseís perception. Itís about the aesthetic of the truck and getting stoked on it. I donít care how good a truck turns or grinds, if I donít like the way it looks or the name, Iím not gonna ride it. May sound stupid to someone else but for me itís perfectly normal. Ace trucks have always been my favorite look, even their logo/slogan/shirt artwork, and thankfully they also happen to have the best geometry.

TheBoognish

« Reply #4282 on: September 14, 2018, 03:03:48 AM »
Does anyone here refuse to ride painted/coloured trucks ?

That shit drives me nuts and I can't do it, I don't know why.

baustin

« Reply #4283 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:15 AM »
Tried running Krux downlow kingpins in my Thunders and ended up not digging it. If anyone wants to buy em off me send me a PM.

Smartass

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4284 on: September 14, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »
Does anyone here refuse to ride painted/coloured trucks ?

That shit drives me nuts and I can't do it, I don't know why.

When I first started skating, I did primarily use colored trucks. Then when I got back into it, pretty much raw only, but now a days I really don't care. I'll go for raw if its available, but if it's significantly cheaper and/or the size is the way I want, then I'll grabbed the colored set.

If the color/graphic is really shitty you can always just strip it off anyways.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #4285 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »
Tried running Krux downlow kingpins in my Thunders and ended up not digging it. If anyone wants to buy em off me send me a PM.

It's working good for me.  What happened? 

baustin

« Reply #4286 on: September 14, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »

It's working good for me.  What happened?

I wasn't able to adjust them with the trucks on, due to the kingpin nut slipping. That was weird because I thought I read in a thread on here somewhere the Thunder baseplate would hold the nut but mine didn't. I also had a weird phantom creak sound/feeling when I turned deep with them which could've been bushings, washer, or pivot cup related, but it doesn't happen with the stock kingpins. I put my stock kingpins back in and tightened them where I like them then took a metal file to the nuts where they had been catching, and I'm satisfied with that for now.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4287 on: September 14, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Swapped the thunders for some Ventures.  Had a horrible first session yesterday.  Hopefully today is better

hey pickle

• Rep: -30
« Reply #4288 on: September 15, 2018, 01:56:57 AM »
thinking of making the same move ^

feel like id just got back to thunders though

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4289 on: September 15, 2018, 05:40:23 AM »
I had to get used to the way my board popped with my ventures, and the first day or two was terrible. Once I got used to it I feel in love. However I'm having my semiannual truck crisis and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on some 33 Aces.