Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220854 times)

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 117
  • evensteven
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4230 on: September 08, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
sort of off topic here but i have a pair of defective thunders and i emailed thunder 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. is there a better way to get in touch with them?
even the steven

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #4231 on: September 08, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
sort of off topic here but i have a pair of defective thunders and i emailed thunder 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. is there a better way to get in touch with them?
Try to dm mattdlx maybe?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Diocletian

« Reply #4232 on: September 09, 2018, 06:55:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How do Theeves compare on turnyness? Don't they shrink the WB?
[close]
Imagine if you took ACEs and Thunders and mashed them together to get a surfy turn that is stable on center. Doesn't extend your wb like thunders do either, which is a plus for shortys like me.
[close]

Beat me to the post!

Whenever I get truck OCD, flopping between Thunder and ACE, I throw on my Theeves and it goes away.
[close]

Sometimes I think Theeves would be the answer to all of my truck woes, but their branding/marketing puts me off. It's dumb, but I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board. Anyway I finally got some Krux kingpins to go into my Thunders, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm gonna grind them to the axle if it kills me...
[close]

Haha yeah, honestly if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (let’s be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer. Anytime I go back to them there’s little to no adjustment period for me skating-wise, they always feel natural. If they had forged baseplates or even hollowed out their cast ones ala thunder, I couldn’t give you a legit reason why I’d personally skate anything else but alas, that DLX marketing and seeing all my favorites riding thunders or ventures (as compared to Moose, Brandon Turner, & Hoffart w/ Theeve) pulls me back in every time. They are definitely great trucks and deserve much more relevance in the Truck game IMO. Even if I’m not currently skating them at the time, I’ll always vouche for em 100%

Yeah I’d try Theeve out if they removed their name off the hanger and baseplate and left everything blank. Would basically just look like an Indy stage 7 knockoff hanger that’s made in China. I’d live with it, just can’t live with the model identifier on that hanger, the company name and logo on the baseplate. It’s abhorrent.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4233 on: September 10, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »
I've mentioned it a few times but I skated Theeve's for a year straight and was incredibly happy with them.  No complaints whatsoever and then the kingpins started falling out of the baseplates.  I had it happen to 3 pairs and I just had to give up and move on.

That's when my truck madness started.  I'm always searching for the same feel Theeves give but no other company has it.  Almost bought a pair over the weekend to try them again but ended up getting some Venture 5.8's

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4234 on: September 10, 2018, 09:13:34 PM »
Yah....theeves deserve to be in the same convo as the main three truck co's plus ACE.  You get a good turning radius, but lower height...decent quality. 

But yah...the team and marketing suck....

Right now I'm into thunders...the only complaint I have is that all the generator boards I've been skating tend to have the 14 3/8ths wheelbase...so thunders make the wheelbase seem huge.

If I was skating a PS board they'd maybe set up a bit better....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4235 on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »
Yah....theeves deserve to be in the same convo as the main three truck co's plus ACE.  You get a good turning radius, but lower height...decent quality. 

Right now I'm into thunders...the only complaint I have is that all the generator boards I've been skating tend to have the 14 3/8ths wheelbase...so thunders make the wheelbase seem huge.

If I was skating a PS board they'd maybe set up a bit better....

That's my preferred wheelbase if I can find it when riding ACE or Theeve, it just feels good; better to me, than a 14.25" WB with Thunders. Sometimes I like the more neutral stance ACE/Theeve/Indy give you.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4236 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
I really liked theeve for the turn response and especially the grind but idk, they don’t grind as smooth as they use to when they had the v2 with the bushing lip problem

yes

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4237 on: September 11, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
I just wouldn't feel "cool" with them on my board...
if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (let’s be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer
just can’t live with the model identifier on that hanger, the company name and logo on the baseplate
So sad to hear you're all bound by the perceptions of others...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4238 on: September 11, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
if marketing/brand relevance was a non-factor (let’s be honest, it always is) I could probably be a Theeve lifer
[close]
Expand Quote
just can’t live with the model identifier on that hanger, the company name and logo on the baseplate
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny, I could not care less about who rides for what 'team' as pop, shape, durability, turn/height/weight, size, shape, duro, grip, slide are all that really matters. As for looks, Indy's yoke is the fugliest and most bloated on the market

Sizing up so while trying to figure out what trucks to ride I decided to just pick up some 8.5" Tiax to throw on my tiking plates and be done with it.

I really liked theeve for the turn response and especially the grind but idk, they don’t grind as smooth as they use to when they had the v2 with the bushing lip problem

They claim nothing changed but having ridden V1/V2/V3, the V1/v2 turned and grinded better. The metal was also a bit darker, tho that could have been due to casting; I loved the V2 and rode loose enough to not have bushing blow out.

The last pair of TiHs I rode (bones softs) felt quicker than the V3 (bones softs) in turning as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UR2liXgFw

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4239 on: September 11, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

For me it’s not even that, it’s more a matter of wanting to be excited about the gear I’m riding. The vast majority of my favorite pros skate thunders and I like their webclips, so it’s hard not to gravitate towards them. When’s the last time you got hyped to skate off a Theeve webclip?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4240 on: September 12, 2018, 06:51:24 AM »
For me it’s not even that, it’s more a matter of wanting to be excited about the gear I’m riding. The vast majority of my favorite pros skate thunders and I like their webclips, so it’s hard not to gravitate towards them. When’s the last time you got hyped to skate off a Theeve webclip?
Any clip that is Bastien gets me hyped, but I don't translate the hype I get from watching people rip to wanting their trucks. I know what thunders, indys, aces feel like. Seeing someone rip with them doesn't change the way they feel under my board. However, if one of those major companies designed a truck with an oval yoke, I'd be on that shit ASAP.

Diocletian

« Reply #4241 on: September 13, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

For me it’s not even that, it’s more a matter of wanting to be excited about the gear I’m riding.

Exactly. Has nothing to do with anyone else’s perception. It’s about the aesthetic of the truck and getting stoked on it. I don’t care how good a truck turns or grinds, if I don’t like the way it looks or the name, I’m not gonna ride it. May sound stupid to someone else but for me it’s perfectly normal. Ace trucks have always been my favorite look, even their logo/slogan/shirt artwork, and thankfully they also happen to have the best geometry.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4242 on: September 14, 2018, 03:03:48 AM »
Does anyone here refuse to ride painted/coloured trucks ?

That shit drives me nuts and I can't do it, I don't know why.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4243 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:15 AM »
Tried running Krux downlow kingpins in my Thunders and ended up not digging it. If anyone wants to buy em off me send me a PM.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4244 on: September 14, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »
Does anyone here refuse to ride painted/coloured trucks ?

That shit drives me nuts and I can't do it, I don't know why.

When I first started skating, I did primarily use colored trucks. Then when I got back into it, pretty much raw only, but now a days I really don't care. I'll go for raw if its available, but if it's significantly cheaper and/or the size is the way I want, then I'll grabbed the colored set.

If the color/graphic is really shitty you can always just strip it off anyways.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4245 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »
Tried running Krux downlow kingpins in my Thunders and ended up not digging it. If anyone wants to buy em off me send me a PM.

It's working good for me.  What happened? 

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #4246 on: September 14, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wasn't able to adjust them with the trucks on, due to the kingpin nut slipping. That was weird because I thought I read in a thread on here somewhere the Thunder baseplate would hold the nut but mine didn't. I also had a weird phantom creak sound/feeling when I turned deep with them which could've been bushings, washer, or pivot cup related, but it doesn't happen with the stock kingpins. I put my stock kingpins back in and tightened them where I like them then took a metal file to the nuts where they had been catching, and I'm satisfied with that for now.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4247 on: September 14, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Swapped the thunders for some Ventures.  Had a horrible first session yesterday.  Hopefully today is better

hey pickle

« Reply #4248 on: September 15, 2018, 01:56:57 AM »
thinking of making the same move ^

feel like id just got back to thunders though

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4249 on: September 15, 2018, 05:40:23 AM »
I had to get used to the way my board popped with my ventures, and the first day or two was terrible. Once I got used to it I feel in love. However I'm having my semiannual truck crisis and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on some 33 Aces.

BMCsteve

« Reply #4250 on: September 15, 2018, 06:08:36 AM »
I had to get used to the way my board popped with my ventures, and the first day or two was terrible. Once I got used to it I feel in love. However I'm having my semiannual truck crisis and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on some 33 Aces.

I had a really good session on them yesterday.  They are great in the mini bowl and super stable on manuals.  My pop is higher but harder to control if that makes sense.

They straight up turn amazingly well.  Very surfy in the bowl.  I'm going to stick with them for a while but I'm not getting rid of my thunders yet

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4251 on: September 15, 2018, 10:30:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I wasn't able to adjust them with the trucks on, due to the kingpin nut slipping. That was weird because I thought I read in a thread on here somewhere the Thunder baseplate would hold the nut but mine didn't. I also had a weird phantom creak sound/feeling when I turned deep with them which could've been bushings, washer, or pivot cup related, but it doesn't happen with the stock kingpins. I put my stock kingpins back in and tightened them where I like them then took a metal file to the nuts where they had been catching, and I'm satisfied with that for now.

Yah they spin for sure....and it's true once you start messing around shits a bit different.  I was just annoyed how quickly you start smashing your kingpin on thunders. 

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #4252 on: September 15, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
indy 144 with soft indy busings in back, 149 with stock bushings in front, ride like a dream

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #4253 on: September 15, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »

I've been thinking about ventures for almost a year now.. But I just finally got settled on indy-pop, I don't think I can handle that stress right now. Those axles look pretty far to the front :o

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4254 on: September 21, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »
thunder 149 highs with bones black hard bushings.

hey pickle

« Reply #4255 on: September 22, 2018, 03:28:25 AM »
i know this is most likely been asked and answered but i cant find it - do krux bushings fit ib venture highs???

just bought the raw 5.2 highs and not keen on the stock bushings

thanks

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4256 on: September 22, 2018, 04:10:59 AM »
i know this is most likely been asked and answered but i cant find it - do krux bushings fit ib venture highs???

thanks

No idea about Krux but Indy bushings are an exact fit on Venture highs.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4257 on: September 23, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »
You know what’s crazy, my 148 thunder titanium’s are lighter than my 145 lights

I guess titanium isn’t a gimmick in the skate world
yes

hangontoyourego

« Reply #4258 on: September 23, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote

thanks
[close]

No idea about Krux but Indy bushings are an exact fit on Venture highs.

I just got dlx bushings  for my ventures highs . I like em but prob take the bottom washer off

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4259 on: September 25, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
just wondering, has anyone tried Indy 144’s on an 8”? I only skate 8” but want a wider truck, but don’t wanna waste the money if they are too wide.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.