Author Topic: Too old for signing and demos?  (Read 1644 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
Too old for signing and demos?
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:05:54 PM »
Is it such a thing to be too old to go a signing or demo?
I went to a signing 2 years ago and felt like I was the oldest guy there.I felt weird and wondered if there is such a thing as an age limit to be too hyped for a signing event?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

paraquat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Too old for signing and demos?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »
Demo-no
Signing-yes

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
one of the funniest things ive ever seen at a demo was a bunch of older dudes who knew nothing about skating chasing the birdhouse team all over the park trying to get autographs. the best was this middle age dude with what looked like a straight out of zumies flip complete run up to ben raybourn saying "hey jaws, you wanna sign a board?"

nobody draws a crowd like the birdman. the people watching was as good as the skating.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »
If you're a grown man & you want something signed by a skater you admire then go. Why the fuck would you care what kids think of you anyway?

pinch a loaf

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
you know how easy it is to pick off decks during a product toss as the grown man.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »
Sports memorabilia is worth more if it's signed, why not? If you think whatever dude will hit it big go for it. Me I think adults getting autographs for themselves are fucking idiots, but do you. NEver too old to see the best skaters skate live, much better than on screen

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 04:44:45 AM »
When I'm too old to play on this useless wooden toy, then I'll be too old to fan out and ask my childhood hero I idolized for his autograph.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:05:45 PM »
If you have to ask…

But really, we're all going to die and no one really gives a shit about anyone but themselves, so fuck it if you want to meet some pro while standing amidst a bunch of kids. Skateboarding's not about being cool*.

*sike
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:55:20 PM »
If you're a grown man & you want something signed by a skater you admire then go. Why the fuck would you care what kids think of you anyway?

i think demos are dope! i don't go to every single one but occasionally ill hit a demo and not want anything free i just wanna say hi and watch em skate maybe skate nerd with em and go home. i was like that as a kid.  More so it was i was in awe that they are even here

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think demos are dope! i don't go to every single one but occasionally ill hit a demo and not want anything free i just wanna say hi and watch em skate maybe skate nerd with em and go home. i was like that as a kid.  More so it was i was in awe that they are even here

Couldn't agree more, my only problem is how little they occur in Sydney. If your lucky enough to have them frequently take advantage!

jomeara1

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
Sports memorabilia is worth more if it's signed, why not? If you think whatever dude will hit it big go for it. Me I think adults getting autographs for themselves are fucking idiots, but do you. NEver too old to see the best skaters skate live, much better than on screen

Exactly.  I remember seeing Prod skate at a nike demo years ago and I was just blown away by how sick he was in person.  Same with Reynolds when I saw him at an emerica demo and he launched a huge frontside flip off a quarter pipe.  I used to do signings when I was a kid, but that was back in the "omg omg its andrew reynolds!" phase, but now if I see a pro I'm not really that "starstruck" anymore because I look at them as just normal people now.  If I do decide to get something signed, I would just wait till there is a low key moment (if there is any) when there aren't a bunch of kids surrounded by them and try to get it done that way  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:08:10 AM by Johnny »