Author Topic: Gear that you loved and lost and wish to love again  (Read 4146 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
Gear that you loved and lost and wish to love again
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
This song goes out to the product they used to make but now they don't, for whatever reasons: from different stages of trucks on slick boards, to Blind jeans & the Shorty's "naughty" hardware tool, if you have a hole in your heart, let it out!

For me,

Randoms hardware made "Griptek" bolts with gritty/griptape-like tops. i'm guessing people disliked these because they had to be pounded in with a mallet? They were eliminated pretty quickly from where I used to get them, to my knowledge, no company tried to duplicate/improve the design?

While it is in the Bible that real niggas get new hardware every set-up, with those Random Gripteks, I didn't even need to.

If anyone knows of a similar product, put me on, homes!  Thank you in advance, my braj.

I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
Re: Gear that you loved and lost and wish to love again
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
I miss my wood-grain Krux, I think they were the downlows with the proper style one-piece allen kingpin. I don't like fancy looking trucks, but with the right deck they were sick.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:52 AM »
This song goes out to the product they used to make but now they don't, for whatever reasons: from different stages of trucks on slick boards, to Blind jeans & the Shorty's "naughty" hardware tool, if you have a hole in your heart, let it out!

For me,

Randoms hardware made "Griptek" bolts with gritty/griptape-like tops. i'm guessing people disliked these because they had to be pounded in with a mallet? They were eliminated pretty quickly from where I used to get them, to my knowledge, no company tried to duplicate/improve the design?

While it is in the Bible that real niggas get new hardware every set-up, with those Random Gripteks, I didn't even need to.

If anyone knows of a similar product, put me on, homes!  Thank you in advance, my braj.

Yeah, these were awesome! I still have the pentagram ones. Use them on my cruiser set up. I kinda felt like I got really bad stress cracks on my board from using these, but they are still rad.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »
In 2003-2004 I got this Girl hoodie that was light grey and had a pink hummingbird on it.  I never got more inquiries or compliments from the fairer sex than when I wore that sweatshirt.  It was also incredibly comfortable and I loved how it fit.  One day it disappeared and I was sad.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »

Yeah, these were awesome! I still have the pentagram ones. Use them on my cruiser set up. I kinda felt like I got really bad stress cracks on my board from using these, but they are still rad.

Are you me?  I had the same ones and these are the only bad things i had to say as well! What do stress cracks do? if i'm just a regular land rider/ledge slider/board flipper, I don't fuck with "drops" do stress cracks do anything, other than look ugly/decrease board stiffness over time?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
Im still mourning the loss of the Emerica Herman G6. Best shoe in history? Had like 5 pairs and skated so good and broke in super fast, plus they looked steezy as fuck

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »
Expand Quote

For me,

[close]

I worked for the randoms distro, and yes, they horribly stress crack every board you put them in. Stress cracks weaken the board and let moisture in, both of which lead to a soggy deck, and occasionally breakage. Took years to sell off all the left over Randoms stock at a huge discount.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
Had a pair of creme av6s for two days , took them off at the park to change into my work clothes came back and someone swiped them. So pissed!

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »

Something about how light they were and the flick.  I've skated hundreds of shoes but these always stood out and are probably my favorites. I'm not impressed with the reissue that's coming out, as it ignores the original outsole completely.

I also wish 7.5s would make a comeback.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »

El Chupacabra

• Rep: 147
    • Brujaria Skateboards avatar image
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »

Kastel Steve Olsons. Fucking bomb proof. They really protected my feet and gave me the incentive to try bigger stuff.

Looking back on it, they were basically solid rubber. How I skated them, I dont know. Function over fashion.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

High Shreddability right out of the box.  I never saw these but I see it in them now.  Have you ever tried the Camby? they aren't as luxurious looking but they are similar in usability.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
I wish Nike would retro these.

Sloboldmanstyle

• Rep: -3
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 04:56:38 PM »

Kastel Steve Olsons. Fucking bomb proof. They really protected my feet and gave me the incentive to try bigger stuff.

Looking back on it, they were basically solid rubber. How I skated them, I dont know. Function over fashion.
I would kill for some Kastel Choptops. Best shoes I ever skated. Idk if the shoes had anything to do with it. But I definitely progressed the most at that time.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 05:13:53 AM »
Powell Thin Ribs, they were the greatest you could get, even if they were orange

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »

fun fact : skated two of these back in the day and never realized (or completely forgot about) the words on the deck. first one I got snapped on flatground on my first day skating it, second one lasted me 6 months, never snapped, but had the most flex I've ever seen to this day - you could stand in the middle of the board and it would nearly touch the ground.

not pictured : Flip PJ Ladd Really Sorry deck. Girl Guy Mariano from their 13th anniversary series. Element Bill Pepper "twig". Powell Skate One catalogs...

wouldn't skate any of the decks now that I've moved up quite a few sizes in 15+ years, but I have fond recollections of they skated.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
Miss these shoes
All you got is today, get out and skate.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
I had a 3rd Lair hoodie which was a spoof of the Miller logo. Left it sitting around school once and never saw it again.

Chewy Cannon's Campus Vulc colorway from 2012, that shoe was so sexy.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

SWPhillyFloater

• Rep: 63
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 11:40:53 AM »
Miss these shoes

Wow I wish I had a pair of those, I really like the labeling on the tongue.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
A real/deluxe deck from 2011 and before, something about them felt better than 2012 and after and I wanna say it’s the wheelbase getting longer and concave getting mellower or flatter(less caved and contoured) but I could just be kooking

Tried an anti hero Andrew Allen 8.2, jt aultz 8.25, and Justin Brock 8.38 around that time(2009-2011) and they were all such great decks. Light, thin, strong(would not chip at all even to the worse kick outs), and just a really good shape and dimension that popped so good with little effort and somehow always flipped perfectly and felt so good, just made you wanna skate more and more to see what you can land cause that’s how good the decks were.

They just worked

Maybe they were using an illegal epoxy back then haha

yes

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
High Shreddability right out of the box.  I never saw these but I see it in them now.  Have you ever tried the Camby? they aren't as luxurious looking but they are similar in usability.

That's the MJ shoe post MJ's departure from Lakai right? If so, I skated that shoe. It felt boxy at first in the heel but ended up behind a really great shoe. I'd skate it again.

Anybody hoarding a size 9 of the Belmont XLK? PM me if so.

Mongoloid

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 12:15:00 PM »
Early/mid 2000’s Ipaths are always my answer in these threads.

As far as Randoms, I’m actually using a 7/8 set, and have a couple unopened packs that I won’t part with. I’ve never experienced destructive pressure cracking using them, and I was always jumping down all sorts of shit.

I imagine it does happen often however.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
I also wish 7.5s would make a comeback.

Magenta make 7.5s.

I miss Emerica Herman G6 Vulcs and éS Square Twos.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
Those first Nike Omars.

Project BAs, also.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »
My old local had the best shop boards before they went under. I also miss Ipath Cats and Black Magic grip. Hubba wheels ads too.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house