Author Topic: Bones vs Indy black vs etc  (Read 12835 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
Bones vs Indy black vs etc
« on: December 27, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
I know this has been pretty beaten to death but...

Today I was with a bunch of skaters who were cleaning their bearings (Indy blacks) and they were saying they are better than Powell Swiss,

I was in a six ball minority but the blacks spin seem pretty good for half the price,,,  I had the Indy 7's which were rubbish in my opinion....

Is there any truth to this heresy?
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Xtal

Re: Bones vs Indy black vs etc
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 10:40:58 AM »
Never tried regular Swiss, only the Super Swiss Six Balls. Greatest bearings and well worth the money. Never tried the Indy bearings either. I haven't had the SS6's in awhile and if I'm not riding those I'm on Reds. Cheap and never blow out. I just spoil myself and buy new ones every time I get a new complete since they're cheap. I bet the Indy's would be just about the same as Reds. Personally, I don't nerd out on bearings like I do with truck and bushing combo's.

N.L.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
I've tried swiss, 6 ball, rocking ron, hard luck ceramics all sorts of hit. Get any Bones swiss if you have the money but Indy Blacks are well worth the money and very durable.

Xtal

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
I've tried swiss, 6 ball, rocking ron, hard luck ceramics all sorts of hit. Get any Bones swiss if you have the money but Indy Blacks are well worth the money and very durable.

Hard Luck just released a six ball for only $18, yo!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
My Indy 7s are sluggish as fuck now. It looks as if they're lubed with cream cheese. Nothing seems to make them flow smoother or anything.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
You should make sure you haven't put any speed cream on your bagel......

I think the main argument is stuff not made in China is at least consistent.....on the other hand...what will often do your bearings in is getting smashed around which no bearing is immune from.

Abec ratings are garbage right because the test doesn't relate to skateboarding?  Something like that.....

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
only the Super Swiss Six Balls. Greatest bearings and well worth the money
Buy these, but make sure you put new SS6 in new wheels and trucks. Axle slip and debris can fuck em up

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
From my personal experience:
I tried the Andale ABEC 7 and they broke in a month.
Shake Junt ABEC 7 hold up pretty well but, nothing too special.
Bones Super Reds are a bit faster than the Shake Junts
Bones Reds are definitely always reliable. I had a pair that rusted and still spun pretty fast.
I have a pair of the ABEC 5 Autobahn and Bronson to try next
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

swagsurfer

• Rep: -4
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:46 PM »
hard luck released their own 6 ball bearings which i've been considering of getting.
i won some swiss sixes a couple years ago which...rolled pretty smoothly however i broke one of the ball retainers. smh i swear all bones cages break. perhaps its just me, but it seems like bones swiss metal is soft because i've managed to dent the balls in each one of my swiss bearings, maybe its because i dont use spacers. anyways..

never had indies bearings but i hope this helps.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 05:33:30 AM »
Never been too picky with bearings. As long as the shields pop off and the cages are nylon instead of metal, then I'm good to go.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 06:46:13 AM »
This is because they watched a video indy put out saying they were better than swiss.

Ad got 'em, Sharon.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
I've used bones Swiss in various forms for a decade or so. I was a little surprised for the support these indy's had, particularly after my experience with their other higher end bearings. I trust bones Swiss, just wondered if anyone had tried the Indy blacks and switched...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

Zdizzle

• Rep: 0
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »
How were the hard luck ceramics?

N.L.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly, disappointing. They were $45 and lasted a couple of months. I cleaned them and they were never the same (Never had a problem cleaning other bearings). Seized up and they're done.  I'd rather get two sets of Indy Blacks for that price or pay a bit more and get Bones Swiss. Also consider Rockin Rons. They're about $25 and on par with Swiss...

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 03:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Honestly, disappointing. They were $45 and lasted a couple of months. I cleaned them and they were never the same (Never had a problem cleaning other bearings). Seized up and they're done.  I'd rather get two sets of Indy Blacks for that price or pay a bit more and get Bones Swiss. Also consider Rockin Rons. They're about $25 and on par with Swiss...

That's a bummer. I've just bought the Jason Jesse Swiss bearings on sale, has anyone tried them? I've had the stainless 'good times' bearings and they lasted a few months but a few of them have seized up now, even with a good clean and lube

Zdizzle

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

That's a bummer. I've just bought the Jason Jesse Swiss bearings on sale, has anyone tried them? I've had the stainless 'good times' bearings and they lasted a few months but a few of them have seized up now, even with a good clean and lube
I was wondering about the good times as well. I figured since they were stainless they'd last a while, kinda bummed to hear they weren't that good. The one set of indy 7's I had were terrible, but the indy blacks are cheap enough that i'll probably pick up a set.

swagsurfer

• Rep: -4
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I was wondering about the good times as well. I figured since they were stainless they'd last a while, kinda bummed to hear they weren't that good. The one set of indy 7's I had were terrible, but the indy blacks are cheap enough that i'll probably pick up a set.

chromium steel is harder than stainless which i believe is better for skating applications.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 06:05:39 AM »
had the hard luck ceramics for a year, still as fast as in the beginning. no complaints here.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »
Has anyone skated Powell Swiss and the blacks?

I'd give them a go but the last set of Indys I had were really shit.

Fast is fine and all but Swiss last a year or so at least...

I figure these are NHS, so are Benson their higher end bearings?

I'm sceptical overall, Powell Swiss have been the best bearings I've ridden in almost two decades..

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »

I'm sceptical overall, Powell Swiss have been the best bearings I've ridden in almost two decades..
I have had swiss, reds, blacks, and Bronson. 

In regard to speed, they all seemed within the margin of error with each other, with the exception of the bronsons which felt sluggish to me.  As for durability, I got a couple years out of the Swiss and am 2.5 years on the reds getting about due for a replacement. I hated the bronsons, and I fucked up one of the blacks trying to get it out of a way too tight wheel.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 04:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In regard to speed, they all seemed within the margin of error with each other, with the exception of the bronsons which felt sluggish to me.  As for durability, I got a couple years out of the Swiss and am 2.5 years on the reds getting about due for a replacement. I hated the bronsons, and I fucked up one of the blacks trying to get it out of a way too tight wheel.

The consensus seems to be that bronsons suck. Glad I haven't wasted my money on a set

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 05:16:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The consensus seems to be that bronsons suck. Glad I haven't wasted my money on a set
yep, and indy blacks seem to worth it...damn, i could have bought a set online and didn't....

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 06:30:06 AM »
has anyone else ever used DeoxIT on their bearings? I tried it because I had nothing else around the house, and it works incredibly. DeoxIT is designed for metal connectors and contacts so I wasn't sure if it would do anything. this could be a completely incorrect use of it but it works really well.

Xtal

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 10:05:12 AM »
Side note: Anyone ever try these Shorty's "Qik" bearings?

BMCsteve

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »

We used to skate these growing up.  Very durable, long lasting bearings.  Not quite as fast as Swiss or Ceramics but definitely not slow either

Xtal

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We used to skate these growing up.  Very durable, long lasting bearings.  Not quite as fast as Swiss or Ceramics but definitely not slow either

Right on. I've always used Shorty's 1" Phillips as my hardware since day one. Part of my OCD, can't use anything else. But I don't think I ever tried their bearings. The Black Panthers seem overpriced, plus any bearings using Abec systems I completely disregard. But these Qik's are only $11 and everything being made of steel intrigued me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 11:28:46 PM »
There's two programs.....reds or Swiss......

Xtal

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »
I got some Bones Swiss Ceramics sealed in da package if anyone wants 'em. $85 shipped.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 11:43:30 PM »

^ yup.  don't fuck with anything other than Bones.

...and it's because they're straight up less prone to breaking.  i've had sets of both for years on end, and are currently running on about 8 beautiful months with the sheilds popped and they are as good as the day i bought them.  anything else would have exploded by now... guaranteed.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

^ yup.  don't fuck with anything other than Bones.

...and it's because they're straight up less prone to breaking.  i've had sets of both for years on end, and are currently running on about 8 beautiful months with the sheilds popped and they are as good as the day i bought them.  anything else would have exploded by now... guaranteed.

Yeah, I'm of your schools of thought, but...