Author Topic: Ace Magnesium Baseplates  (Read 7550 times)

Xtal

Ace Magnesium Baseplates
« on: January 03, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »
Has anyone tried these? As some on here know, I'm all about Ace trucks and these are meant to reduce weight. The new redesigns feel a bit more heavy to me, so I thought these would be a good solution. My research indicates not only is magnesium lighter than aluminum and titanium, it's also stronger.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:21:48 PM by Xtal »

Jake From State Farm

Re: Ace Magnesium Baseplates
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
When I was using Ace trucks about a year and a half ago, I had these. They are insanely lighter and are quality.

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
id try them if anywhere in the UK had em. Why not, they're not that expensive right?

Xtal

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »
The only place I can find them is SoCal Skate Shop. $32.95 but I think they'll be worth it. I'm pretty sure Joey stopped production of these a long time ago but SoCal must've stocked up on a bunch of them so they still have some left. And thanks for the feedback Jake!

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
Did ACE ever make magnesium hangers? My brief experience with magnesium is that they grinded (ground?) very well.

They're also expensive and prone to manufacturing failures, which is why they never replaced aluminum.

Xtal

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
Did ACE ever make magnesium hangers? My brief experience with magnesium is that they grinded (ground?) very well.

They're also expensive and prone to manufacturing failures, which is why they never replaced aluminum.

To my knowledge, the only company that came out with a magnesium hanger was Tensor, the "Mag Lows". I read they were shitty but probably just because they were Tensor.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 01:36:29 PM »
I skate the theeve  tih's....which is one piece hanger/axel.....

they grind well on concrete everyone else.....worse or weird....

Weight?  Lighter than an Indy for sure but overall not a huge difference....

Tried numerous trucks over the years and always got axel slip....

Xtal

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
I skate the theeve  tih's....which is one piece hanger/axel.....

they grind well on concrete everyone else.....worse or weird....

Weight?  Lighter than an Indy for sure but overall not a huge difference....

Tried numerous trucks over the years and always got axel slip....

OK? From what info Theeve offers, nothing indicates any part of those trucks are made of magnesium. They look like a poor copy of Ace's geometry, too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
Aha....you are quite right....muddled up my metals....

I have a set of ace 44's as well, i like em but I bet the axels would slip as my flat land game isn't so hot....they do turn a bit crazier than the theeves but they are up the same alley...I have the theeves on my day to day....aces on an old school set up....I get why people like...but I, not gonna say they are the best truck when they are a made in China Indy bite...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
I have these on my 44's.. They wont change your life but I'd buy another set if I ever had to get rid of these. Quality and finish are superb and they just add some more hype to em and make them a little lighter.

Xtal

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 05:45:31 PM »

I have a set of ace 44's as well, i like em but I bet the axels would slip as my flat land game isn't so hot....they do turn a bit crazier than the theeves but they are up the same alley...I have the theeves on my day to day....aces on an old school set up....I get why people like...but I, not gonna say they are the best truck when they are a made in China Indy bite...

I wouldn't bet on Ace getting axle slip any more than some other truck company. They may be made in China, but they're made better than Indy that's for sure. Plus, the "harder" metal on Indy's and Thunder's gets really sticky for me when I start grinding them down a lot. Ace's are smooth the whole way.

Xtal

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »
I have these on my 44's.. They wont change your life but I'd buy another set if I ever had to get rid of these. Quality and finish are superb and they just add some more hype to em and make them a little lighter.

Right on man thanks for the feedback!

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wouldn't bet on Ace getting axle slip any more than some other truck company. They may be made in China, but they're made better than Indy that's for sure. Plus, the "harder" metal on Indy's and Thunder's gets really sticky for me when I start grinding them down a lot. Ace's are smooth the whole way.

This guy has me on ignore but whatever. My pair of aces had a pretty bad axelslip in less than 3 months of use (both trucks) which is something really wierd in my expirience. My friend pair is bent and he's not a heavy person by any means and doesnt jump high shit too. And lets not talk about pivot cups. I dont know were's that high quality Xtal's talking.
Maybe the new design solves some problems by my size is 33's and no redesign for those.

I have to say my indys have 1 year in and not a single problem to point out. I even think they turn better than the aces i had before.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xtal

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This guy has me on ignore but whatever. My pair of aces had a pretty bad axelslip in less than 3 months of use (both trucks) which is something really wierd in my expirience. My friend pair is bent and he's not a heavy person by any means and doesnt jump high shit too. And lets not talk about pivot cups. I dont know were's that high quality Xtal's talking.
Maybe the new design solves some problems by my size is 33's and no redesign for those.

I have to say my indys have 1 year in and not a single problem to point out. I even think they turn better than the aces i had before.

I unignored you just this once. The axle slip was an issue for the older design, but the new ones fixed that. I've been skating the new 44's for awhile and they are amazing. Reinforced hanger and just overall more durable. The pivot cups are noticeably better than the older design as they are fitted perfectly whereas the old ones were really wonky and not evenly cut. And I have to disagree on an Indy turning better than Ace's. Even with aftermarket bushings in Indy's, the turn is very slow.

Try the new 44's man, 8.25 decks aren't that big.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
I agree that they probably slip as bad as any other truck....except for the ones I skate....

Randozzi

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »
Venture did magnesium hangers many years ago, expensive but from what i remember people dug them. This was pre featherlight (current) design.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I unignored you just this once. The axle slip was an issue for the older design, but the new ones fixed that. I've been skating the new 44's for awhile and they are amazing. Reinforced hanger and just overall more durable. The pivot cups are noticeably better than the older design as they are fitted perfectly whereas the old ones were really wonky and not evenly cut. And I have to disagree on an Indy turning better than Ace's. Even with aftermarket bushings in Indy's, the turn is very slow.

I unignored you just this once to tell you that you're overall more full of shit.

And if someone thinks that another truck turns better, it's their preference. All of this shit is based on personal preference. You seem to not know what your preference is from all of your truck threads. Back on ignore.
you never know about pre-cum 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 11:38:55 PM »
I unignored you just this once

:D

Does he really grind your gears that much? I don't ignore anyone on here but if I did he'd pretty much be the last guy on ignore ... seems pretty chill

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 12:26:18 AM »
Tracker and Gullwing made magnesium trucks during the '80s. The latter was somewhat mass-produced. Destructo makes them and probably a few others did at one point.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 04:11:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does he really grind your gears that much? I don't ignore anyone on here but if I did he'd pretty much be the last guy on ignore ... seems pretty chill

He just doesnt like when i call him out. He is always contradicting himself, like being all about skaterowned stuff and then preaches Ace stuff when it's owned by diamond, the guys that sold their souls to lifestyle and swag, and bashes indy and the others that keep their roots to the core. Haha

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 04:14:50 AM »
But by saying this i dont meant that i hate diamond/ace stuff, i dont care about their core/poser appeal or whatever. I've had Ace and didnt like the quality, but i use diamond bolts without a problem. Just use what you like.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

BMCsteve

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »
Magnesium is lighter than aluminum but it's also softer.   I'm assuming this is fine for baseplates but it's not great for a hanger which is why you see a lot of issues with Tensor full magnesium trucks.

I know Xen has been running the Ace mag baseplates for a long time

Xtal

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 07:09:32 AM »
Magnesium is lighter than aluminum but it's also softer.   I'm assuming this is fine for baseplates but it's not great for a hanger which is why you see a lot of issues with Tensor full magnesium trucks.

I know Xen has been running the Ace mag baseplates for a long time

I was wondering if magnesium would be softer. I've seen people crack their baseplates at the small hole where the hardware would go through on regular aluminum baseplates so hopefully I won't do that with magnesium ones. Not too worried about it though. Thanks for the info dude

Xtal

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 07:11:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I unignored you just this once to tell you that you're overall more full of shit.

And if someone thinks that another truck turns better, it's their preference. All of this shit is based on personal preference. You seem to not know what your preference is from all of your truck threads. Back on ignore.

skatan's second account? why must you ruin threads with your shitty attitude. Ignored :)

Xtal

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 07:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks. I am pretty chill, as a matter of fact. It's a shame that some kids didn't get the attention they needed growing up. They have to resort to seeking it on online forums.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 08:39:40 AM »
whats with people who have Aces feeling marginalized? 

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks. I am pretty chill, as a matter of fact. It's a shame that some kids didn't get the attention they needed growing up. They have to resort to seeking it on online forums.

Of reading comprehension.

How else are they going to justify riding a stage 3 indy? "but it's not an indy. we're different."
you never know about pre-cum 

Xtal

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »

People hate things just to hate them. I've ridden almost every truck company on the market, which is why I choose Ace. Not because of some macho loyalty to an overrated truck company. Ace haters forget that Indy based their design from two different truck companies and combined them to make something better, and there's nothing wrong with that. Ace did this with Indy's stage 3 design, and it's resulted in a superb skateboard truck. I'm not saying Independent are shitty trucks, either. If Ace's didn't exist I'd be on Indy's. I would just have to put up with the lousy turn.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People hate things just to hate them. I've ridden almost every truck company on the market, which is why I choose Ace. Not because of some macho loyalty to an overrated truck company. Ace haters forget that Indy based their design from two different truck companies and combined them to make something better, and there's nothing wrong with that. Ace did this with Indy's stage 3 design, and it's resulted in a superb skateboard truck. I'm not saying Independent are shitty trucks, either. If Ace's didn't exist I'd be on Indy's. I would just have to put up with the lousy turn.
You try too hard.

Xtal

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 10:12:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
You try too hard.

Man, I guess you can't create threads on Slap without immaturity derailing threads. Ignored.