Author Topic: Vieques, PR  (Read 1308 times)

tortfeasor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
Vieques, PR
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »
Going to the lovely island of vieques next month.  The person who recommended the trip to me knows i skate and mentioned that there is a plaza in one of the towns (Isabel) where the locals skate.  I have also done a little research and found that a few teams have made winter trip there

http://quartersnacks.com/tag/vieques/

and i guess there is a surf and skateshop on the island as well.  I was wondering if anyone is in the area or if the know the spots well enough to give me some google map coordinates

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: Vieques, PR
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
Did you go?  I think I'm going to PR at the end of the month.  Plan to rent a car and drive around, then go to Vieques for a couple of days.

Any Puerto Rico info from anyone would be great.  Things to do, areas to stay in.   
Not going to be a skate trip, but want to wander around and look at stuff.  Hike and look at animals.  Tide pools, kayak, sit around and drink on the beach type stuff.  Whatever is worth doing.

I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »
Did you go?  I think I'm going to PR at the end of the month.  Plan to rent a car and drive around, then go to Vieques for a couple of days.

Any Puerto Rico info from anyone would be great.  Things to do, areas to stay in.   
Not going to be a skate trip, but want to wander around and look at stuff.  Hike and look at animals.  Tide pools, kayak, sit around and drink on the beach type stuff.  Whatever is worth doing.

I was in PR at the beginning of the year. Stayed in Old San Juan which is really European feeling and beautiful. Rent a car and check out Charco Frio in the rainforest. There's cliff jumping and a natural rock waterslide there.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
Did you go?  I think I'm going to PR at the end of the month.  Plan to rent a car and drive around, then go to Vieques for a couple of days.

Any Puerto Rico info from anyone would be great.  Things to do, areas to stay in.  
Not going to be a skate trip, but want to wander around and look at stuff.  Hike and look at animals.  Tide pools, kayak, sit around and drink on the beach type stuff.  Whatever is worth doing.

yea i went to vieques for a little over week and it was fucking amazing. i have already booked my next trip there.

there are places to skate and a good shop in Isabella which is where the ferry comes in.  outside of skateboarding its some of the best beaches in the world and great food.

if you are going to rent a car on vieques and really want to explore the island you need a jeep.  and a real jeep at that. a lot of the crazy stuff is deep in the jungle, however if you are only going for a few days any SUV should be ok.  I would recommend blue beach (Playa Chiva) turn off number 9-13; its basically a private beach that rivals any in the world (i have been to 3 of the top five beaches in the world and many others that rank)

if the water has been calm for two days or so Playuela is amazing and its a nice walk to the beach-- but if there has been rough waters for a few days the beach gets a little grimey because that's where the tides lead.

my favorite restaurants were croqi fire in isabella, and tin box which is kind of off the beaten trail is really cool just call ahead and make a reservation because its pretty much every ones favorite.  

the best drink i had was the pain killer was at azul mar in Isabella.

bio bay kayaking tour with blackbeard is best tour because its the smallest group.  the other places will literally take a bus full of people.

i don't know what your budget is but if you can take a charter sail of Esperanza do it.

edit this has a lot of good stuff about vieques in it: http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/vieques-an-island-discovered/31059266
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 10:26:26 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.