Author Topic: Quasi have to be the sickest decks around  (Read 24042 times)

sluggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -407
Quasi have to be the sickest decks around
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:44 AM »
I love these shapes, wood, and concave.

http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:14:04 AM by sluggers »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Quasi has to be the sickest decks around
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:01:15 AM »
I like Quasi too.

I wonder though why certain brands like Quasi and Passport charge more for their decks than other companies who also use PS Stix or Generator wood. Do they spend more on art? Are they just able to mark up their decks a bit because of demand?

BMCsteve

Re: Quasi has to be the sickest decks around
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »
I like Quasi too.

I wonder though why certain brands like Quasi and Passport charge more for their decks than other companies who also use PS Stix or Generator wood. Do they spend more on art? Are they just able to mark up their decks a bit because of demand?

Not sure what the exact reasons are but I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks to support a brand.  I'm hoping it means they kick an extra dollar back to their riders per board sale

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Quasi have to be the sickest decks around
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:22:12 AM »
i'd imagine that it's due to the fact that they are a smaller brand who chooses to use a higher quality woodshop. it's definitely worth it to spend the few extra bucks on a quasi and put your money into the pockets of a group of incredible guys who do great things.

i'm sure you'd be blown away at the difference in production costs for brands like quasi, fa, 917 in comparison to dwindle brands or any other big time brands getting their boards made overseas. thankfully the smaller guys doing companies through ps stix have seemingly decent contracts with their other sponsors which enables them to produce a better quality, and truly skater run brand.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:12:08 PM »
Yezzur skateboards is also Ps Stix just in case anyone is thinking about making that their next board.....

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

dkn

• Rep: -27
  • to be all ways to be all ways to be all ways to be
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 04:09:27 PM »
Quasi is the best!  I loved the name Mother too, it's too bad they lost that

And I think Quasi's market will continue to grasp their references

Beautiful stuff, that white top ply would look sick around griptape.  Guess I know what my next board is

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 04:11:38 PM »
They overcharge because hipster shit is where the money's at now. It's great they're using PS Stix wood, but I find their designs to be appealing mainly to the city skaters that have their perfect outfit with highwaters picked out for the day before they go skate. It's not just Quasi that's cashing in on that, though. That Terence McKenna graphic is pretty cool, even though hardly anyone in skateboarding actually knows who he is.

IGNORED
you never know about pre-cum 

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:04:11 PM »
Expand Quote
They overcharge because hipster shit is where the money's at now. It's great they're using PS Stix wood, but I find their designs to be appealing mainly to the city skaters that have their perfect outfit with highwaters picked out for the day before they go skate. It's not just Quasi that's cashing in on that, though. That Terence McKenna graphic is pretty cool, even though hardly anyone in skateboarding actually knows who he is.
[close]

IGNORED

ZEBRA

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »
Yezzur skateboards is also Ps Stix just in case anyone is thinking about making that their next board.....

Furby??

ZEBRA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 12:52:26 AM »
I think I just had a board-gasm. Damn those are gorgeous!!!

Are the top stains always the same?? Or do they vary??

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

IGNORED

[close]

Dengles

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
Quasi and FA cost the same as any pro model deck at my local shop, online they are more expensive though by a good bit.  And the Quasi I'm riding now is one of the most perfect shapes I have ever stepped on, what an amazing board. 

zippy z

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
Most of them come in different stains. The only decks that seem to come in the same stain are the Run decks. I could be wrong, but the ones I saw looked the same as the catalog while the rest of the line were all different stains.

Definitely love everything they've put out since they started. Great art, team, brand, products, customer support , and they support other brands and small projects through the online store.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:29 AM »
Great art direction. Not really feeling the new name... Are these the same press that old alien boards used? If so, never really liked them, too stiff and not enough flex. They are putting out some pretty looking stuff though.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »
Great art direction. Not really feeling the new name... Are these the same press that old alien boards used? If so, never really liked them, too stiff and not enough flex. They are putting out some pretty looking stuff though.

Alien had aproximately 600 000 different shapes which were super different even if you picked the same size which was kinda annoying.. So that depends. Quasi has alot of square-ish shapes now which I like alot.

I'm skating a quasi right now and it's amazing, them and FA have the best shape and wood, goddamn..

Pango

• Rep: -30
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
yeah my Mother deck lasted forever granted I only skate low impact stuff now.  The shape and pop is great, can't wait to pick up a new Quasi deck

straight

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Alien had aproximately 600 000 different shapes which were super different even if you picked the same size which was kinda annoying.. So that depends. Quasi has alot of square-ish shapes now which I like alot.

I'm skating a quasi right now and it's amazing, them and FA have the best shape and wood, goddamn..

Yep

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 10:00:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep
As well as the Scumco squarer shape on the Trending and Investigative Reports decks. They are all I ride right now.

Dengles

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »
Speaking of Quasi being sick they just hooked up that kid from Love Park that got his board stolen by the cop, with a package. 

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 09:50:03 PM »
Speaking of Quasi being sick they just hooked up that kid from Love Park that got his board stolen by the cop, with a package. 
damn thats sick! dgkalis was gonna hook that kid up to!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 01:50:49 AM »
Best designs in the game, but they are 75 euros in Europe so I never gonna spend that amount of Money in a Board.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 02:43:48 PM »
They have some of their earlier boards for 10 dollars off, which saves you the shipping price.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
Their art direction has been pretty tight since the very first Mother drop, but it's actually getting even better with each drop since.

IMO it's pretty bold to put Terrence McKenna and Will Oldham on a deck, especially in today's fickle buying market, but I respect the hell out of their unwavering approach.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 05:53:39 AM »
Best designs in the game, but they are 75 euros in Europe so I never gonna spend that amount of Money in a Board.

I remember buying decks in France for $100 (so about 100 Euros now) back in the day because they taxed them as a toy so I see not much has changed.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:28 AM »
i must say...

when i picked up all the Mother boards, i had never seen them up close till I had them... i didn't realize how subtle some of the whacky shapes are.  they're all pretty neat.  the only regular one was the kid watermelon board... the rest have some kind of extra shape element to them

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember buying decks in France for $100 (so about 100 Euros now) back in the day because they taxed them as a toy so I see not much has changed.

Now it's 40-50€ for a national brand, 50-75€ for a Euro/USA decks

bo golden

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »
the boards also come with grip, so the price isn't too far off other decks

Randozzi

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 10:40:33 AM »
Buy a Northern Co. or Scum Co. board, you'll be glad you did.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
I noticed that FA, Hockey, Quasi, Absorb, and the new Street Canoe decks have "Handcrafted by PS Stix" stamped on the top ply unlike other brands that use PS Stix.