Author Topic: Quasi have to be the sickest decks around  (Read 23996 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Quasi have to be the sickest decks around
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks Steve, they got back to me super quick but pretty much just told me to suck it up regarding the board not being true to size.   

On the plus side, the guy said a Quasi video is in the works. 
[close]

Yeah, keep in mind that they are measured the PS Stix way as in "with" the concave vs the DLX way which is "across" the concave.  Everything is going to measure a bit smaller than what you might be used to

Shit I had no idea they did that. That explains why my 8.125 feels like a 7.25.

ill_Murray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks Steve, they got back to me super quick but pretty much just told me to suck it up regarding the board not being true to size.   

[close]

Yeah, keep in mind that they are measured the PS Stix way as in "with" the concave vs the DLX way which is "across" the concave.  Everything is going to measure a bit smaller than what you might be used to
[close]

So I wonder what an 8.5 would come out to when measured straight across
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 12:27:38 AM »
Received my first Quasi board yesterday.
Unfortunately, the guy at the shop made a mistake and sent me a 8.125 instead of a 8.25 ...

It looks so thin with the 149 trucks !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2016, 07:26:52 AM »
^ I'm on the same thing and I HATE it. Same exact deck. HATE. The way those things are measured is stupid. I can't ride this shit.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2016, 07:54:08 AM »
So you're saying all of their measurements are off? and an 8" would truly be slightly under? Might be ordering an 8" Quasi and see whats up...
p-shuvs and v-flips

shit_for_brains

« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
So you're saying all of their measurements are off? and an 8" would truly be slightly under? Might be ordering an 8" Quasi and see whats up...

I only have this knowledge because of Steve, but they measure along the concave where others just measure straight across. So however many fractions of an inch the concave dips down, that gets included in the overall width even though it doesn't really contribute to it. My 8.125 measures exactly 8 if I go straight across and that dog won't hunt for me.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I only have this knowledge because of Steve, but they measure along the concave where others just measure straight across. So however many fractions of an inch the concave dips down, that gets included in the overall width even though it doesn't really contribute to it. My 8.125 measures exactly 8 if I go straight across and that dog won't hunt for me.

It's interesting to me that there are multiple ways that wood shops measure deck sizes, that's confusing as shit. In that case I will continue to skate my generator wood 7.875" boards.
p-shuvs and v-flips

BMCsteve

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

So I wonder what an 8.5 would come out to when measured straight across

My 8.5 Quasi is exactly the same width as my 8.38 Real

It is a stupid system to measure things.  if I want to know the length of a deck, I dont care what the length is if it were completely flat, i want to know what the length is tip to tip regardless of the concave or kick

To my knowledge all PS Stix companies measure this way.  Alien, Toy, FA, etc

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Speaking of Quasi being sick they just hooked up that kid from Love Park that got his board stolen by the cop, with a package. 
[close]
damn thats sick! dgkalis was gonna hook that kid up to!

He was going to hook that kid up to what?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of Quasi being sick they just hooked up that kid from Love Park that got his board stolen by the cop, with a package. 
[close]
damn thats sick! dgkalis was gonna hook that kid up to!
[close]

He was going to hook that kid up to what?

Dialysis

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
The thing that doesn't make any sense to me though is that I had an 8.375 Quasi board that was true to size not that long ago. 

I even included pictures of both the boards in my email to them and it's obvious the difference in size both in the width and the length but when they emailed me back they just brushed it off. 

This is what they said to me...

"Sorry to hear that you’re disappointed in your latest purchase but I think there’s been some confusion here. The picture of the laser etching on the top shows the PS Stix size designation of 8.375, which leads me to believe that the board is not incorrectly sized but possibly just routed slightly smaller than 8.375. I don’t want to get too much into the technicalities of it all, but our 8.375 and 8.25 shapes use completely separate templates when they’re being cut (think of a giant cookie cutter); so it is really unlikely that PS Stix not only put that graphic on the wrong shape but that they laser etched the wrong size too. If that were the case you’d not only notice a difference in the width but in the length, wheelbase, nose length, tail length, tapering, etc. They are just completely different shapes.

Now keep in mind that after the boards are cut they are then routed by hand. Because of this, nominal differences (1/16" to 1/32” typically) can occur deck to deck, even though they are cut from the same template. There’s really nothing we can do to control that but it also shouldn’t make a difference to the performance and skateability of the deck. 1/32” is basically the same size as this hyphen - , and 1/16” is about this size —. And really, the difference between 8.25 and 8.375 is about this much —-

Keep in mind too that PS Stix decks have to be measured by pressing into the concave right near the front truck holes. We often get told our boards aren’t the right size because they’re being measured straight across the concave (using the ruler like a bridge), or because they’re measured with a tape measure and not accounting for the slip."

I guess I'm just bummed because it feels like they totally ignored what I was trying to tell them and sort of talked down to me trying to explain how a fucking skateboard is made. 

shit_for_brains

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
You'd think if they often get told their boards are the wrong size that they would do something about that rather than try to explain it to the tons and tons of people who complain about it. If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're an asshole. They should consider changing their measurements in the future.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2016, 04:19:34 PM »
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a Real board with the worst goddamn graphic in the world just because I know it's a good shape. That's how much I hate this one.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:43 PM »
And really, the difference between 8.25 and 8.375 is about this much

Sounds like a fuckin skateshop seller trying to sell you whatever they have in stock ahaha

zippy z

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2016, 05:36:39 AM »
Serves you people right. What are you doing ordering decks online when you have core shops to go to? ::)

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2016, 06:02:52 AM »
First world problems...

...yet I had no idea they had different standard for the measurement of the boards. It's 2016, and yet they can't figure it out  ::) . That explains the difference in feelings between brands and manufacturers, I always thought it was due to different molds/concaves. Yet at the end of the day we are speaking about millimeters here, nothing that can't be overbalanced by two or three hours of skating the deck.

Next thing you know will be that 53 mm from bones are 51mm from spitfire.

On another note this is a new Hammer USA board that i thought was a Quasi one

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2016, 07:41:40 AM »
First world problems...

...yet I had no idea they had different standard for the measurement of the boards. It's 2016, and yet they can't figure it out  ::) . That explains the difference in feelings between brands and manufacturers, I always thought it was due to different molds/concaves. Yet at the end of the day we are speaking about millimeters here, nothing that can't be overbalanced by two or three hours of skating the deck.

I've skated boards that were much further out of my comfort zone and gotten used to them, that's not the issue here.  My problem is that the customer service rep told me shit that just blatantly wasn't true and while it's usually pretty hard to detect tone through text I got the impression he was speaking down to me, which is some bullshit, when I've gone out of my way at least 10+ times to order boards from them.   

It just doesn't add up, why would the Tyler Bledsoe and Blue Balls 8.375's be true to size but not my Jake Johnson board?

That Hammers board looks like someone tried to make a Quasi graphic in MS Paint.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2016, 08:01:42 AM »
Expand Quote
First world problems...

[close]

I've skated boards that were much further out of my comfort zone and gotten used to them, that's not the issue here.  My problem is that the customer service rep told me shit that just blatantly wasn't true and while it's usually pretty hard to detect tone through text I got the impression he was speaking down to me, which is some bullshit, when I've gone out of my way at least 10+ times to order boards from them.   

It just doesn't add up, why would the Tyler Bledsoe and Blue Balls 8.375's be true to size but not my Jake Johnson board?

That Hammers board looks like someone tried to make a Quasi graphic in MS Paint.

Don't get me wrong I understand your point of view. As a consumer you bought what was presented as the same shape/size as another board you actually liked, but the one you were sent is slightly different from the original you liked.

I get what you are saying, but I get also his point of view. In my opinion the guy doesn't know really where the problem comes from, and knows it's probably some kind of manufacturing issue coming from the manual cutting and routing operations at PS Stix. He must have a shit ton of emails to answer and cannot give you more details because he has no idea of what could be the actual cause of your issue.

That's probably not the best way to answer especially when he talks about the hyphen - , but to be honest, if he has to answer to this kind of emails every day, I can see where he is coming from.

It's just that I think that we should keep it cool with this kind of things, it's just skateboarding and we are lucky enough to be able to skate, and even more to have enough money to buy skateboarding related products.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:04:03 AM by Turtle Boy »

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2016, 08:14:52 AM »
If the boards are truly handcrafted, then I can see how measurement errors could happen.
Still, being lectured on sizing like that comes off as condescending.

BMCsteve

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
having had an 8.25, 8.375 and both 8.5 Quasi shapes, I can tell you that the 8.375 is a different shape than all of their other boards.  The 8.125, 8.25 and 8.5 all have a very blunt band-aid shaped nose and tail. 

The 8.375 is more pointy and tapers more from the trucks to the nose/tail and therefore feels a lot smaller than their other boards.

I gave my 8.375 away after skating it for 5 minutes for this exact reason.  There is significantly less foot placement and therefore it feels skinnier than the 8.25

Measurement wise, the 8.25 is about an 8.18 wide and the 8.375 was about 8.25 wide (both measured over the middle of the deck).   If you measure it over the truck holes, the 8.375 is skinnier than the 8.25 due to the taper

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2016, 09:39:10 AM »
having had an 8.25, 8.375 and both 8.5 Quasi shapes, I can tell you that the 8.375 is a different shape than all of their other boards.  The 8.125, 8.25 and 8.5 all have a very blunt band-aid shaped nose and tail. 

The 8.375 is more pointy and tapers more from the trucks to the nose/tail and therefore feels a lot smaller than their other boards.

I gave my 8.375 away after skating it for 5 minutes for this exact reason.  There is significantly less foot placement and therefore it feels skinnier than the 8.25

Measurement wise, the 8.25 is about an 8.18 wide and the 8.375 was about 8.25 wide (both measured over the middle of the deck).   If you measure it over the truck holes, the 8.375 is skinnier than the 8.25 due to the taper

I've ridden like 4 or 5 8.25's and I've ridden 5 8.375's and this most recent one is the one that feels small.  http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/human-one-br-8-375-white

I rode 3 of these boards- http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/blue-balls-br-8-375-blue and they all felt true to size with fat wheels bases. 

You can see both of them on the Quasi website as being listed with 14.25 wheel bases but I feel like just looking between the two boards you can tell one is wider. 

I also rode a couple of these - http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/dose-two-br-8-375-yellow another 8.375 that according to the website measures both longer and wider than the other two 8.375's making this whole "the 8.375 is a different shape that's only made one way" argument totally invalid.   

Unless it was something that happened when the Mother-Quasi switch occurred because my Gilbert Crockett Shit kicker board (8.25) was also definetly wider than my Gilbert Crockett Quilt board (8.25)

BMCsteve

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've ridden like 4 or 5 8.25's and I've ridden 5 8.375's and this most recent one is the one that feels small.  http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/human-one-br-8-375-white

I rode 3 of these boards- http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/blue-balls-br-8-375-blue and they all felt true to size with fat wheels bases. 

You can see both of them on the Quasi website as being listed with 14.25 wheel bases but I feel like just looking between the two boards you can tell one is wider. 

I also rode a couple of these - http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/dose-two-br-8-375-yellow another 8.375 that according to the website measures both longer and wider than the other two 8.375's making this whole "the 8.375 is a different shape that's only made one way" argument totally invalid.   

Unless it was something that happened when the Mother-Quasi switch occurred because my Gilbert Crockett Shit kicker board (8.25) was also definetly wider than my Gilbert Crockett Quilt board (8.25)

Interesting.  this is the one I had that felt really small http://quasiskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/run-for-your-life-br-8-greywashed-natural

You are right, the blue balls deck definitely looks like a fuller shape.

I know the mother 8.375 had a 14.5" WB and they shrank that with the Quasi run.  something is definitely off with the last run of 8.375's then

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2016, 10:26:51 AM »
That sucks Steve but it was rad you hooked someone else up with it. 

Hopefully they figure their shit out, or don't, I'll probably just go back to buying DLX boards anyways.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2016, 10:47:40 AM »
i take back everything bad i said about the 8.5" x 33" quasi deck...i skated it solid for a week on vacation and i'm in love with it.
good come sausage

BMCsteve

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
i take back everything bad i said about the 8.5" x 33" quasi deck...i skated it solid for a week on vacation and i'm in love with it.

I was back on mine yesterday after skating my 8.375 Isle for the last couple weeks.  LOVE the 8.5x33 Quasi.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:05:02 AM by BMCsteve »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Huh. This actually kind of excites me because I don't really like over 8" boards and Quasi barely makes any 8". So since I could potentially pick up an 8.125 that doesn't feel any different from other people's 8" kind of intrigues me.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
Quasi seems to be using similar PS molds to what Habitat is using. That 8.25 x 31.125 in particular, with the huge nose, is a common mold between the 2 companies. I also think the 8.125 x 32.125 is a common mold.

I was just on an 8.125 Habitat Dela that felt completely different than any previous I've had (and I've skated a lot of them) and I hated it. I only skated it for one night. It was making me really mad so I just set something else up.

Steve - the way you describe that 8.375 sounds like the exact mold Habitat used for the Al Davis pro debut board. I actually liked the shape. It was sort of pointy at the nose, pinned/thinned toward the tail. And it didn't skate like an 8.3 at all. It was definitely a bit more narrow.

BMCsteve

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2016, 01:01:02 PM »
Quasi seems to be using similar PS molds to what Habitat is using. That 8.25 x 31.125 in particular, with the huge nose, is a common mold between the 2 companies. I also think the 8.125 x 32.125 is a common mold.

I was just on an 8.125 Habitat Dela that felt completely different than any previous I've had (and I've skated a lot of them) and I hated it. I only skated it for one night. It was making me really mad so I just set something else up.

Steve - the way you describe that 8.375 sounds like the exact mold Habitat used for the Al Davis pro debut board. I actually liked the shape. It was sort of pointy at the nose, pinned/thinned toward the tail. And it didn't skate like an 8.3 at all. It was definitely a bit more narrow.

I think you're right.  I remember that board and the shape does look really similar

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2016, 12:51:02 AM »
^ I'm on the same thing and I HATE it. Same exact deck. HATE. The way those things are measured is stupid. I can't ride this shit.

I pretty much lost all my flip tricks so I just put my old Indy 139's on...
By the way, I ordered a 8.375 Polar board yesterday.

Serves you people right. What are you doing ordering decks online when you have core shops to go to? ::)

Dude you should come by my place to see the "core shops"...

zippy z

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
No homo?

Expand Quote
[close]

I pretty much lost all my flip tricks so I just put my old Indy 139's on...
By the way, I ordered a 8.375 Polar board yesterday.

Expand Quote
[close]

Dude you should come by my place to see the "core shops"...