Author Topic: Your city  (Read 206819 times)

fuckingvegan

Your city
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:07:47 PM »

"Plus I also love their CITYSCAPE section every issue, it clearly point out what a skateboarder would need while doing roadtrips, really helpful especially visiting big cities / metropolitan area.

Too bad it's not on the website.

How about we start a SLAP version cityscape thread, everyone can contribute a bit, introduce something essential in your city, like I will wrtie some spot/shop you can not miss while visiting Taipei."

Thanks to Whatnot for this idea.

artichoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Your city
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:18:53 PM »
Burlington, VT:

Don't come here, but if you're in the area for any reason:
Shops:
Maven, cherry st:  Artsy, fashiony boutique place.  Some cool art stuff, some lame streetwear stuff.
Talent skatepark: decent shop, decent park in the rain or winter.
Spots:
Waterfront skate park-  a meetup spot where you could easily spend the whole day.  Two boxes, a pyramid, a u shaped quarterpipe, some banks and a mini.  Shitty.
Burton Bowl- at burton snowboards headquaters.  6-8 feet deep.  Hips, lines, pool coping, fun times.  There is also a smooth 3-4 foot mini next to it.
Assorted street spots, NOTHING worth mentioning or seeking out.
Bomb some of the hills in town.

Food:
New world tortilla- North Winooski.  Cheap, big burritos.
Church Street- Marketplace in the center of town.  Lots of places to eat.
The OP (other place)- north winooski.  The only bar in town worth going to.  Good crowd, cheap drinks.

Buffalo, NY

Shops:
Sunday skate/bmx: potomac ave. off of elmwood.  Probably my favorite shop.  Down to earth, good vibe, decent product selection, and the best meetup spot.

Spots:
Your best bets for spots are to meet up at sunday and tag along with some people there.  If you want to go at it alone, hop on the train and you can get off at any of the above ground spots and find ledges, stairs and gaps to skate anytime after 5ish.  The other big local spot is trackmasters.  It's a parking lot with a bunch of banks that you can grind/slide and  one that you can skate like a hip.  Take main to north street and head east a two blocks.  Across the street are some chunky cement ledges that slide pretty well but you might need some wax to grind.

There is a skatepark called xtreme wheels, but don't go.  It sucks.

Food:
Amy's place on main street in university heights is probably my favorite place to eat in town.  Cheap, greasy, delicious food.
Elmwood avenue from allen to buffalo state is full of little restaurants, coffee houses and shit like that.  Allen street has a bunch of decent bars.

Boston, MA

Shops:
True East:  Downtown crossing.  A small shop that doesn't always have the best selection, but it's in the heart of downtown and it's a great meetup spot.
Orchard:  Tremont Street in Mission Hill.  A cool shop that you can run into a lot of people sporting brown cords, half cabs and white teeshirts.

Spots:

The new england aquarium is generally hassle free.  Ledges, a manual pad and flatground.  Honestly, rather than telling you the spots I am just going to tell you to meet up with people and skate around, or just skate around with whoever you are traveling with.  Boston is super fun to just cruise around and see what you can find.  The financial district is hit or miss, but after 5 you can usually at least get a few tries in anywhere.

Food:

Qdoba- assorted locations around the city.  Great burritos.  Fresh guac daily.  Cheap.
The north end- lots of italian food here, and there are some great deals to be had.
I'm yet to find a decent bar in boston that isn't plagued with annoying kids from the 9,000 colleges there.  The Sunset cantina on comm ave is a bit pricy, but they have a great beer selection and some decent food.  If you are looking for decent, inexpensive places to drink, head away from downtown and towards brookline and allston.

SwedishFish

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
Town: Babylon, NY

Spots: Take the train to NYC. That is your spot.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:04 PM »
haa the last time I was skating in boston (first time as well) I ate it on those bricks with my 52mm's. there's really some great stuff there. at city hall I think? there was really awsome stuf, but I came along when there was this large public hip-hop concert going on.

lars

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
SLC, UTAH

SPOTS:

-SOUTH TEMPLE DOUBLE SET: 4 flat 4 downtown salt lake city
pig wood video, random lurkerz, and in zero videos.

-SALT PLACEST: perfect 8 stair with a low hand rail at a angle, and a 11 stair downtown salt lake city
thrasher KOTR, foundation that life, random lurkerz

-U of U: perfect 7,8 handrails 12 stair, butter benches, new 8, and almost anything you want is there. that the university line you to university and search around the campus.
random lurkerz, toy machine suffer the joy, zero videos

-DRACULA: huge 13 brown handrail: sandy at a church
foundation, random lurkerz, and some ads

SKATE PARKS:

-Lone peak: sandy
-Sojo: south jordan
-taylorville
-Orem
-American Fork: great looking place, "plaza"
-9 to 9: 9 east 9 south
- and a bunch of other

RESTURANTS:

-BETOS: great mexican food and burritos etc, downtown slc on the way to the U and all over utah.
-all over downtown slc are great asian resturants.

shops:

-BC surf and sport: at the fashion place mall, and  south town mall.
-Milo Sport: south jordan, orem, and highland
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:34:38 PM by lars »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »
Marietta, GA

I don't really know many hangout spots, just skate spots. Besides, why the hell would you wanna actually come here?
MELLOW MUSHROOM- The only spot with no bust- its curbs and loading docks of different sizes, and some manual pads and bumps. The highest dock is about thigh high- this is a good place for some lines.
LASSITER HIGH- A lot of stairs (from 3 to 12), a bank going downhill with the worst run up ever, and a chunky ledge.
GREEK CHURCH- All marble- has some stairs (nothing bigger than a 5) and gaps. Gotta go in the night, or you'll get busted within 5 minutes.
SPRAYBERRY HIGH- Stairs (what a suprise), from 4 to 7 steps. Also, right down the street is possibley the only Marietta spot to make it into a magazine- the bump to handicap rail Sean Stockton BS 5-0ed in an old Transworld.
FRONTSIDE SKATEPARK- This parks been closed for almost 2 years, but I decided to mention it because it was the main spot before it closed. A wave wall, euro gaps, a sick mini ramp, but most importantly, it was a good place with good people. R.i.P.

Oh, yeah, Native Sons. We don't have any, except Jon Newport, and I thought that wasn't something to be that proud of.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:06:49 PM by ATMurrell »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Sven

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:46:23 PM »
Town: Babylon, NY

Spots: Take the train to NYC. That is your spot.

Not true.

I moved to NC a year and a half ago but I called WB my home before that.

Town: Babylon/West Babylon

Shops: Chapmans: Just no. Specifically decks made by Chapman (ie Zoo Yorks and shit) GREAT prices but the decks are all shit.

Special Sauce: YES. lol My favorite shop. A little overpriced but an amazing shop, great feel, great product, just go there.

Spots: Babylon High RIP: This was THE hangout. Kids would come all over from NYC and Long Island to skate here. EVERYTHING got torn down, this is horrible, that's where I learned almost every trick I know and met almost every friend I have. RIP.

Babylon Train Station: Pretty much just a meet up/chill spot. Some curbs, manny pads but there's nothing here besides that and the 12 stair.

The gazebo: A 3 on one side, a 4 on the other. Nothing too big but nice to make ollie up, trick down type lines.

Across from the gazebo at argyle lake or whatever had a trail with some ledges that are decent height and pretty good.

Lomans: Right down the street from the high school is a lomans outdoor store or whatever, gap over a bush that's a kinda ok height.

Native sons: Gino and I share a birthplace: Carle Place, NY but the only skater I know from around Babylon is Nick Sassa and he's not even am yet.

Town: Apex, NC. Gay town but here it goes:

Shops: Vertical Urge: The people that work here are all douchebags but they have an amazing selection and great deals.

Board 2 death: EW. you can skate in there haha. there's a box and a rail and a miniramp but they have close to nothing.

Endless Grind: Never been there haha

Spots: Beaver creek commons: Hmm this is unusual, it's a shopping center type thing but it goes like a mile up the road. There's a huge number of small gaps up by the movie theater and there's a few big ones up there as well but there's nothing too great.

Apex High: So many stairs, such little time. Name a number between 1 and 14 and there's a stair set of that number here, but the bust factor is at maximum.

Apex elementary(downtown): PERFECT 5 and 8 for those hammers you aren't ready to take down a 20 yet.

Downtown apex aka salem st.: The Hardware gap, some other gaps at the church, not too much here.

Apex Middle: Some more stairs and a tiny loading dock.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 04:00:14 PM by Sven »

hamboner

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Pittsburgh, PA

Shops: OneUP skateshop, there are others but it's the only in city limits that actually does anything for the "scene," plus they're all stand up guys.

Spots:
MLK - school surrounded by banks, zero bust factor but the banks have curbs on the bottom. 9 stairs and rails.

Margaret Milliones - (Oakland) steep ass bank you can skate like a quarter pipe (harmony does a fs tailslide bs revert in good and evil) also 3 blocks you can skate like a gap if you can manage the curved runway. also stays somewhat dry when it rains

Downtown - Downtown pittsburgh is like 5 square miles, it's tiny, but there are a lot of fun spots if you can find them. Skateable planters on Grant street. Marble park - ledges of marble with the worst ground ever, a 6 flat 6 (?). 1st ave is probably the most fun, it's like a couple flat gaps and some bumps. just push around and you'll find something.

Atwood lot - (Oakland) meet up spot. it's just a parking lot and a manual pad but it's a good spot to meet up/ meet people. when it isn't complete shit outside, a lot of people meet up on Thursdays

Either go downtown or go to oakland, chances are you'll bump into someone or find stuff on your own.

Skateparks
Mckinley - metal, mini ramp, quarterpipes, banks, a box, a hip (kind of), some flat bars
Imperial - concrete bowls and snake runs, pretty big. they also have a plastic street course
Penn Hills - a bunch of moveable plastic ramps and some flat bars and shit. it's actually pretty fun
Boyce Park - concrete - bowls and a hubba, i haven't been there yet - Pads required?
Sheradan - haven't been

native sonsMatt Reason, Kevin Taylor, Tommy Budjanec, Henry Panza, Nick Panza, Jerry Cooper, Jesse Thomas, Brian Michaud, Dave Kaule, Austin Kanfoush

Food:
Mad Mex, India Garden, Fuel and Fuddle in Oakland - if you go after 11, food's half off and there are a lot of vegan options. The O and Antoons are good if you want cheap pizza.

Pittsburgh Deli Company in shadyside - good hang out spot for the bar crowd

plus the normal burrito chains and fast food places scattered around.

because the motherfuck I can

mikefork

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 06:31:49 PM »
haa the last time I was skating in boston (first time as well) I ate it on those bricks with my 52mm's. there's really some great stuff there. at city hall I think? there was really awsome stuf, but I came along when there was this large public hip-hop concert going on.
know that ledge that barletta backlipped and welsh back noseblunted?
they filled that in completely
some spots that i would say to go to are the medical banks and right around the corner are some brick angle irone-copped ledges with banks(hard to explain what i mean)
jfk monument in cambridge-also has a ledge there when its not filled

chinatown courts on special occasions

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=june23rd06brobk180seqhv9.gif

http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=june23rd06brokfseqrh6.gif

http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=june23rd06broindyseqkz6.gif
(images weren't working)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 06:33:40 PM by mikefork »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
The north end- lots of italian food here, and there are some great deals to be had.
I'm yet to find a decent bar in boston that isn't plagued with annoying kids from the 9,000 colleges there.  The Sunset cantina on comm ave is a bit pricy, but they have a great beer selection and some decent food.  If you are looking for decent, inexpensive places to drink, head away from downtown and towards brookline and allston. 

There is a bar somewhere in downtown Boston area called Wedgies and it is awesome. Cheap drinks amazing atmosphere.

Gest

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:49:57 PM »
Columbia, MO

Shops:
Small Time Skates, Dreamcatcher Skate Shop (One of those "botiques"), Shadow

Spots:
Cosmopolitian Skatepark - Good flow, lots of tranny, one of the good skateparks in Missouri
MU - It's a Bust sometimes, but I've only been buzzted once. There is everything, ledges, every length of manual pads, a few double sets, stairs of every length (From 2 to 23 hahaha), banks in the most random areads, some perfect handrails, and a lot of it is downhill so it makes it a lot more fun. There are some cool spots there, like a manual pad with a 3 at the end, a water fountain that you do tricks over a ledge into, there's a lot, I could spend all day there and the only reason I would leave would be because of my legs gettin weak
Downtown - Not really a certain spot but it's fun to cruise around the hills and skate little bumps and curbs, also a lot of parking garages with little spots in them

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »
Margaret Milliones - (Oakland) steep ass bank you can skate like a quarter pipe (harmony does a fs tailslide bs revert in good and evil) also 3 blocks you can skate like a gap if you can manage the curved runway. also stays somewhat dry when it rains
Theres a gap over a rail into a sketchy ass bank, too... I haven't been there, but Henry Panza ollies over it in VIA
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 09:09:50 AM »
Spokane,Wash.

Native Sons and people you might run into at various times....Tyler Moore is from here and for awhile Malcolm Watson was living up here...Brian Andersons sister lives here and he has been known to pop up out of nowhere.

oh ive been wanting to visit spokane for a few years now.  might get there this summer, because my brother just bought a house in rossland, bc (red mountain).

and dont forget DC Corbin for native sons...

john

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
Charlotte, NC
Shops: Black Sheep- Good skater owned skateshop near downtown; huge selection of decks(including shop decks) and shoes,but a little expensive

Spots:
Red Rails- low seven stair handrail and a low six stair handrail back to back. good for lines.

Quail Hollow- smooth seven stair with a good handrail that starts on the sixth stair.

Box Spot- Parking garage with a couple boxes and a flatbar(sometimes).

Park Road Gap- Nice size gap that everybody skates

Downtown- Lots of different spots; good to skate at night

Skateparks:
Grayson- Big concrete skatepark with a huge bowl.

Shamrock- Old metal skatepark in a bad part of town

Soul Ride- Good indoor air conditioned park.

Food: Phat Burrito- right down the street from Black Sheep; really good

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:18:16 AM by abovetheclouds »

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 04:19:52 PM »
pomona california.

spots:
this is one city that has yet to have been ravaged in socal so unfortuintley theres a lot of unskated spots that ive skated that get sandblasted and i really dont want to give them out, howevee if you happene to stop buy i will be more than willing to play tour guide.

eats:
pomona has a heavy mexican population so there are tons of good mexican eats, my favorites inclue:

mexico lindo-right off garey and 11th. if you come here strictly stick to the asada.

tacos jalisco-on mission a stones throw away from downtown. this place everything on the menu is perfect, dont be afaraid to try anything unless you are afraid to have a heart attack cause this food is mad greasy.

el merindero-this is the definate nacho spot, im talking about real nachos.

shops:
pomona has a variety of shops and places to run through to look and spend money.

platform skateshop-recently opened shop trying to do thinsg right, unfortinatley the last few times ive gone back they havnt stoked what ive wanted/needed so was forced to buy stuff i really didnt want, but ill be in there in about a half hour to talk about those new carroll selects, maybe this time theyll get something right.

globe/radiofutura- globe is this kind of hip hop/grafiti place where you can find all kinds of shirts, pens, hats etc and right nextdoor is this dj shop where they got all sorts of vinyl that your average turntablist might desire.

antique row-  antique row is this block on second street that used to be refered to as the pomona mall. since then all the stores that used to be macys and nordstroms are all antique shops. and honestly youll never know what you are gunna find. the best ones are the two storie shops and  most have basements. antique row is a great way to kill two hours.

analog haven- i dunno hwo many people are into synths, moogs etc but this is the place to be. they let you test the equipment and kind of let you louge around.

la bomba-wall to wall vintage clothing. think of it as a thrift store with jacked up prices.

hang outs:

donwtown-2nds street, downtown, whatever you wanna call it this reall the only place where the hang outs are. theres a venue downtown called the glasshouse that generally has good shows(has been lacking recently but is on its way to make an up again). every second saturday is art walk where the local artist show off there goods. chat with snobs drink some wine and just enjoy your self. theres tons of gallaries etc. anywhere outside of downtown is generally dead and youll have to head into L.A. for the night life. take the 10 or 60 west for about half an hour.

hopefully this will be helpful to you if you ever enter the city. if you intend on coming out here just pm me and id be more then happy to shred/show you around.

Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

S-Town Holla!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
  • Malto!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »
Salina, Kansas aka shit town

Shop:
Focus Skate Shop/Park. Located at 831 york street, constuction on the park is due to start on Febuary 8th and should be done by the end of March.

Spots:

Memorial Hall- Golden 8 stair with some decent handrails.

Libary- Across the street from memorial, huge plaza with ledges, stairs and manny pads

Oakdale- A drop/loading dock spot

Food:

Only places worth trying is Greeks Pizza and Martenellies lil Italy.

If you wanna meet up with some skaters just go to the skatepark located on the west end of town, its just a shit modular place but for some reason we go there.
R.I.P Travis "Panama" Kresge

Cashcrate, make some easy money

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:39:10 PM »
analog haven- i dunno hwo many people are into synths, moogs etc but this is the place to be. they let you test the equipment and kind of let you louge around.
place sounds tight as hell

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Da$h
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 07:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
place sounds tight as hell

yeah i still like to lurk there like once a month. owners are really nice people. theyve got this techno beat maker thing that is really fucking intense with all the pitch control beat control and all that madeness. i respected eltrnoic music maker a lot after that store opened.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 08:38:43 PM »
Seoul, South Korea

Intro:
Seoul is an incredibly huge city of 10 million with a suburban area around 18 million or so. 
There is a small but growing skate scene supported by a couple of really good skater run shops. 
Street skating can be difficult because the city is almost always busy as hell.  That being said, there are some rad spots, some fun parks, and a lot to be discovered.  Local companies Alchemy Skateboards, Wyfluence Skateboards, StuntB Skateboards, and ARK shoes support the scene.  As skating grows the scene is becoming more recognized and this has been shown by visits from both 5boro and Satori in the recent past.

Transportation:

The most convenient and easiest way to get around the Seoul area is definitely subway.  It has 10 lines and can connect you to everywhere in the city as well as Incheon city in the West and Suwon city in the East.  Signs all have English and if you look lost with a map people will always stop to help you find your way. 

Cabs aren't expensive but traffic in Seoul is intense so avoid cabbing it during rush hour.  Starting fare is $2 and a 15-20 minute ride will only be $5 or $6.

Spots
This will come later

Seoul is so big, I can't write everything in one sitting.  This city guide will be a work in progress to be edited later. I have a photo blog of spots in the Seoul area but I need to update and make some changes to it so I'll post it later.

Some video linkage for now:

Wyfluence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z38HVOsCYSE&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMElzrxQy74&mode=related&search=

Little competition held by MDDC shop last summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6wXW_J_js8&mode=related&search=

I had no idea DGK even came here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma4GqyY1u7g&mode=related&search=

5boro in Seoul, summer 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgvm11Z0MM

lakai rider from Seoul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsNUP5
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 05:23:12 PM »
Hammond, Louisiana

We're smallish college city located roughly halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge (45 minutes either way).

Spots:
We have the only concrete skatepark in Louisiana, made by Dreamland. Pics here and here. Footy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlOdiq1gxUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdBConeERHw

Our indoor park, which is nearing a complete remodel, is basically a really huge snowman shaped bowl (5 foot shallow, 8 1/2 deep, with a mega-banked ramp incorporated into the design). There's also a door-gap and a deathbox.

The university here (Southeastern Louisiana University) has various ledges, stairs, benches, manual pads, and some unique architecture that's super fun to skate. Our downtown area (the historic section) is also full of shit... but the best time to hit it is on Saturday night or Sunday (day or night) when most of the business are shut down.

We're also 15 minutes away from a number of secret spots outside of town that you can only hit if you meet up with us. We're not stingy, but we are protective.

Food:
Mariner's Inn: The best 1/2 burgers and baked potatos ever made. If you don't like red meat, they also have grilled tuna steaks on a seasoned grill that are fucking killer. Pretty good beer selection, darkly lit, and as casual of a place as you could want. Feel free to come here if you're covered in sweat. There's patio seating outside, and as lck would have it, some of the brick planters were made skateable when a couple of the Dreamland guys put angle iron on them (with the blessings of the owner of the restaurant). We just can't skate them when the place is busy.

La Carreta:
A family owned Mexican restaurant. It's better than any food I've had in Mexico... plus they sell 44 ounce margarita's that are super good. There's covered patio seating here too, if you want it. Make a special order of shrimp quesadillias, they'll make you punch your mom.

Kirin Sushi:
Better sushi than Iron Chef Morimoto's. I know this first hand.

Cane's:
Cane's is a southern fast-food place that does nothing but chicken fingers. You can't roll through here without experiencing these fuckers.

Booze:
Mariner's Inn (as mentioned before): Very chill place to get shnockered. The beer is cheap.

Augustine's: It's our local dive. Everyone from frek kids to truck drivers do their thing here. The place is ghetto and everyone is welcome here.

Mule's Cate Street Pub: A lot of frats hang here, but the owner of this place is friends with most of us older skaters. He's really tight with our skate shop, and will let you come in for bands free if you come in with one of us affiliated with the skate shop.

Skate shops:
The one linked in my sig is the only skateshop in town... Small Time Skates.
There is a place three blocks away from us that sells skateoards, but the douche that owns it sells everyting from paintballs to pogo sticks.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 06:38:38 PM »
Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Spots:
Everywhere. We've got Wake Forest University, Winston Salem State University, Forsyth Technical Community College, and tons of shopping centers and whatever else. You should find stuff everywhere.
A few of the more popular ones:

Silver Rails: Coming off of I-40 you'll cross a bridge into Winston-Salem. If you look to your right you should see this spot right off the bat. It starts out as a small set of stairs, and gradually ends up being a smooth seven. The rails are skatestopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmDWNsB-Ji0

Corporate Plaza: This is right beside Silver Rails. There are four nine stairs, a huge grass gap into the road, and a ledge to do stuff off of (or up), etc. Watch out for cops.

GMAC:  It is at a big building, clearly labeled "GMAC," and it's great for lines. It starts off with a two stair to do something up, then tons of rollup, followed by a granite ledge. You'll get kicked out of here.

http://www.emporis.com/files/transfer/5/2007/01/510966.jpg

BB&T: It's downtown right in front of Corporate Plaza. Theres some ledges to grind, and a ten stair in front. There is also a five stair to the side of it. You'll probably get kicked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5stzSrbIaw (:24, but the stairs there are alot bigger)

Forsyth Tech ledges: Across the street from Exodus Skate Shop, go behind the building and you should be able to find these. It's two perfect, waxed ledges in a line. Going around and connecting the two is a big 'c' ledge, and it's kind of waxed too. Watch for security guards and cops.

EDIT: Skate stopped.

Career Center: I like this spot alot. There are one or two waxed benches (depending on how you set them up) in a line, and then the smoothest eight stair ever. The ground is amazing, but the eight stair is pretty big. There are brick five stairs around the side, with round handrails with large kinks. You can ollie the rails, or maybe boardslide them. In front, there is a four, long flat, four, long flat, four, long flat, four, a six stair, and a large grass gap. There is also a loading dock that is like a kicker for doing tricks off the side. It's a school, so don't skate during school hours and you should be alright, for the most part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myEpy3R6ljE (:09)

Linens 'n Things: behind the shopping center is a small, waxed, long ways three stair to grind across, followed by an incline to grind up. It had angleing iron on it, but I heard that it's since been removed.

http://piedmontskateboarding.com/billyset1_photo1.htm

Flex Pay: It's got a small grass gap over a tall brick wall, over some parking blocks. Theres also a seven stair with a rail.

http://piedmontskateboarding.com/files/4.html

Bridge Rail: This was a low, square, six stair rail. It's been in a few videos. Remember the rail Scuba Steve noseslides in Really Sorry? That one. It's gone now, but the stairs are still there.

http://tkp.skatenc.com/albums/userpics/BridgeRail1copy.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5stzSrbIaw (:44 as it is today)

Shops:
Exodus Skate Shop: It's huge. 100+ decks on the wall, tons of shoes, probably thirty racks of clothes, sale racks, and pretty much everything. All reasonably priced. Theres also videos playing all day. Staff mostly burnouts and alot of incents and Bob Marley bullshit too. Little setup to skate behind it.

Transportation:
Buses and cabs go all around and I think to Greensboro (the city over.) Downtown you can just walk and find stuff though; it's everywhere. You can also catch a train to Charlotte, the biggest city in North Carolina, and maybe check out the Raleigh/Durham area too.

Skateparks:
NONE.

Food:
There are places to eat everywhere. Macaroni Grill is probably my favorite; great Italian. Huge Mexican population so I assume the Mexican food is authentic too.

Booze:
Theres a little section in Winston with strip clubs and bars and stuff. My uncle was talking to this cop one time in a different city, and told the cop where he was from. As a joke, the cop asked what bar he owned, and my uncle really did own a bar; plenty of spots to drink over here.

The place is great on weekends. Few busts, spots everywhere, skaters everywhere, etc. If you are here for like a month doing nothing but skating and eating all day everyday, and you SOMEHOW get bored, take yourself to Greensboro, the big city beside Winston with even more stuff.

Greensboro

If you wind up in Greensboro, there are alot of spots, but alot of them are busts. I usually like to go hit up A&T University when I'm in town. It's got stuff to keep you occupied for years, and is always a nice session as long as you stay on your toes and duck campus police and security guards.

http://www.piedmontskateboarding.com is the scene's site here.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/North_Carolina/Winston_Salem-828509/TravelGuide-Winston_Salem.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_salem

HAHAHA, I always though NC sucked, but with you stupid fuck's towns, I feel like I'm in dreamland.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 09:16:37 AM by DrNewton »
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »
Why does everyone in NC have a skate site?

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 10:25:18 PM »
That's not my site, it's just the major one around here.

Everyone tries to stand out, so they make generic websites with awful Quicktime montages and the same gross iFrame design.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

john

• Rep: 8
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »
isn't creations in winston?
and yeah pretty much everybody has a skate site.
charlotte scene sites:
www.charlotteskate.com
www.eyeslikestatic.com
www.tweproductions.com

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Da$h
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
winston salem, cigarette capital of the world?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
winston salem, cigarette capital of the world?

thats what i was thinking.  any good spots around the tobacco company towers?

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »
Creations is in Kernersville and doesn't count. They remodeled so now it's a BMX park basically, with probably half the ramps unskateable, and they host hardcore shows. Fuck that.

Tobacco kind of went away in the 90s and Winston diversified; there are alot of corporations based here so theres alot thanks to that I guess. It is the tobacco capital still.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 10:08:07 PM »
someone do a vancouver one...i'm too lazy..my writing days are over...

koots

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
someone do a vancouver one...i'm too lazy..my writing days are over...

I only finished a third of Seoul and lazed out.....
Ok,

You must be new to the Skateboard game.  This is real industry talk.  "It's all about who you know".  And that's real.
  Beautiful

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:37 PM »
all right...i'll start...you guys chime in....

indoor stuff: antisocial mini...sweatshop, small street set up....lbc (north van) small street set up and mini....random parking garages....aren't that good...maybe UBC, chan centre...

outdoor stuff: i'm too old to figure out spots....there's some downtown but nowhere near what it was....shouldnt stop you from looking though....plaza's a good meeting spot that you'll never leave....you could fuck around at cambie...ghetto spot if there's anything there...hotspot....i like crusing around UBC...

parks: hastings for tranny...bonsor in bby is good....if your expectations are low enough.. strathcona is o.k.....same w. china creek....

shops: pretty much antisocial....there's underworld downtown...hotshop for crusties....there's vancity skateboards or something too but i've never been there....