Author Topic: Your city  (Read 206867 times)

Numeral

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Your city
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2008, 09:16:42 PM »
I won't do Huntington Beach, LA. But i'll do Caracas, Venezuela which is where i currently reside

spots

take the subway to the Bellas Artes Station and skate around, same for the Altamira Station, around Altamira you can find some really fun hills and other spots, skate around and ask the locals everybody is cool down here. There's fun wallride spot that i think Karma rides on one of the Consolidated videos, but i would never go downtown here by myself, it's like asking to get shot at, yeah it's that dangerous, i used to go on sundays with the locals which were really cool because there's other stuff to skate downtown, but it's too dangerous to go by myself, and most of the locals i used to skate with left the country, because the truth is this country is in shambles and everybody wants to leave regardless of what you may see on the news.
oh the downtown subway station is called Capitolio.
cops aren't that much of an issue, but your personal safety is, only around Chacao and Altamira i'd relax every other station be on your guard,

shops

no shops, you could find some shitty local boards but nothing else, at the Sambil mall which is around the Chacao subway station. most boards are 7.5 so better bring your stuff, you could maybe find griptape but nothing else.
there's a shop that sells vans shoes that's around the Sabana Grande blvd, take the subway to Sabana Grande, then walk down to the next station which is Chacaito station, it's right in the middle in the second floor of a ghetto mini mall

locals

the guys i used to skate with were pretty cool, they were always taking me to spots and stuff, the new kids i've seen skating are down to.

eats

around any of the subway stations i mentioned you can find McD's, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Wendy's, etc, there's a tgi fridays if you like that stuff around Altamira, you could find any of these except downtown. Local food is awesome too.

booze

around Altamira and Chacao. there's even one in front of a manny pad spot.

drugs

ask around, i only smoke weed and the weed ain't that good, every once in a while i get some good stuff, but it's usually shitty weed.

weather

sunny almost year round, no need for winter clothes.

women

really hot slutty chicks, and really hot chicks, it is said that Venezuela's finest product ain't oil but their women and i agree with that.

suckitornot

« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »
Anyone from albuquerque want to recommend a good skate shop?

SkatingIsALifestyle

• Rep: -9
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
West Springfield,MA

Shop:Theory Skateshop  Website:TheorySkateboarding.com

Park: Junction Website JunctionSkate.com

tanhoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
long beach? ive been here for a little while now and dig it. you can just cruise around downtown and find tons of fun spots. i think im missing some though...

ManUtd117

• Rep: 0
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:45 PM »
Hey does anyone know of skate companies in NYC?  Like ones that are located here.

luc

• Rep: -118
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2008, 01:05:36 AM »
cape girardeau, MO

DIY park closeby

great ditches with cinderblock ledges..

hour drive to STL

no shops
no good local food
no one that cares about anythign but the skatewave park

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »
Hey does anyone know of skate companies in NYC?  Like ones that are located here.

SHUT, 5boro, Bodega, Zoo York

AENYC

• Rep: 5
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SHUT, 5boro, Bodega, Zoo York

official, coda, substance...

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »
everyone should try to rep their city as hard as possible and see who comes out on top.

i think some of the canadian gangsta's could be contenders...
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Sarmiento Subs

• Rep: -36
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »
everyone should try to rep their city as hard as possible and see who comes out on top.

i think some of the canadian wigger's could be contenders...

fixed ha

somewhat joking

dyingtoliveRWTF

« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2009, 04:40:44 AM »
30 min drive from tampa

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2009, 03:34:42 AM »
if somebody could do Santiago de Chile it'd be awesome (long shot i know)

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2009, 11:48:55 PM »
long beach? ive been here for a little while now and dig it. you can just cruise around downtown and find tons of fun spots. i think im missing some though...
downtown has a lot of goodies. theres a suuper sick ditch on the beach.

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »
Is there a Minneapolis guide?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:12:57 PM by Livin The Psychedelic Lif »

laeeqhumam

• Rep: -2
    • http://blog.macmasters.net avatar image
« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2009, 01:13:29 AM »
New Delhi, India.
Best of tourism, best people, best hotels... cheapest rates!!!

Use Google to find out more.
http://blog.macmasters.net
Best regards,
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Laeeq Humam[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[email protected]
Troubleshooting Macintosh

FredGnarly?

• Rep: -3
  • what's the deal honeybunz?
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »
Anyone from Baltimore or D.C.? I'm about to go visit my brother out there soon.

BERKELEY, CA

Parks:
Berkeley Skatepark on 5th and Harrison
"skate plaza" thing on Martin Luther King between Center and Allston

Spots:
UC Berkeley campus. Your allowed to skate on the campus for transportation, so just don't stay at one spot too long. Its the cops policy to give you a formal warning before giving you a ticket, so if you've never had your name written down you don't really need to worry about being fined. Its best to go when schools not in session, especially at night. Check the art musuem.

Shop: 510 at Bancroft and Telegraph.

510 is dwight and telegraph
from 510, it's every great spot in berkeley is within a 10 minute skate
the campus holds half of them, but it can be a bust
art museum's great, you can hit it weekdays after 5pm
skateplaza (peacewall) is awesome, and if you're there and feeling stairs, go a block over to berkeley high for a fine selection

HRPoodersmith

• Rep: 63
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2009, 01:25:15 AM »
Boston, MA

Shops:
True East:  Downtown crossing.  A small shop that doesn't always have the best selection, but it's in the heart of downtown and it's a great meetup spot.
Orchard:  Tremont Street in Mission Hill.  A cool shop that you can run into a lot of people sporting brown cords, half cabs and white teeshirts.
Next generation: moody st. in waltham.  Great shop, good selection

Spots:

The new england aquarium is generally hassle free.  Ledges, a manual pad and flatground.  Honestly, rather than telling you the spots I am just going to tell you to meet up with people and skate around, or just skate around with whoever you are traveling with.  Boston is super fun to just cruise around and see what you can find.  The financial district is hit or miss, but after 5 you can usually at least get a few tries in anywhere.

Food:

Qdoba- assorted locations around the city.  Great burritos.  Fresh guac daily.  Cheap.  OR anna's taqueria
Bertuccis!  best pizza around
I'm yet to find a decent bar in boston that isn't plagued with annoying kids from the 9,000 colleges there.  The Sunset cantina on comm ave is a bit pricy, but they have a great beer selection and some decent food.  If you are looking for decent, inexpensive places to drink, head away from downtown and towards brookline and allston.

You haven't found a decent bar in Boston?  You have to go to newbury st, or like you said go into Allston/brighton, with Sunset Grill, or Whitehorse tavern.  In Brookline, the Publick house has TONS of beers, great bar.  Also, harvard square has a nice array of pubs.   and if you hate college kids at the bar, Sunset cantina would not help you, seeing as it's a BU bar

Anyone know of any good spots in the boston area? bank or wallride spots? 

RightCoastBiased

• SLAP Pal
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Boston, MA

Shops:
True East:  Downtown crossing.  A small shop that doesn't always have the best selection, but it's in the heart of downtown and it's a great meetup spot.
Orchard:  Tremont Street in Mission Hill.  A cool shop that you can run into a lot of people sporting brown cords, half cabs and white teeshirts.

Spots:

The new england aquarium is generally hassle free.  Ledges, a manual pad and flatground.  Honestly, rather than telling you the spots I am just going to tell you to meet up with people and skate around, or just skate around with whoever you are traveling with.  Boston is super fun to just cruise around and see what you can find.  The financial district is hit or miss, but after 5 you can usually at least get a few tries in anywhere.

Food:

Qdoba- assorted locations around the city.  Great burritos.  Fresh guac daily.  Cheap.  OR anna's taqueria
I'm yet to find a decent bar in boston that isn't plagued with annoying kids from the 9,000 colleges there.  The Sunset cantina on comm ave is a bit pricy, but they have a great beer selection and some decent food.  If you are looking for decent, inexpensive places to drink, head away from downtown and towards brookline and allston.
[close]

You haven't found a decent bar in Boston?  You have to go to newbury st, or like you said go into Allston/brighton, with Sunset Grill, or Whitehorse tavern.  In Brookline, the Publick house has TONS of beers, great bar.  Also, harvard square has a nice array of pubs.   and if you hate college kids at the bar, Sunset cantina would not help you, seeing as it's a BU bar

There are dope ass banks at one of the hospitals. I for some reason can not remember the name of the hospital.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2009, 03:57:26 PM »
Quebec city
http://www.sbcskateboard.com/cityguides?news_id=491&uniqid=1057

and before
MONCTON

POPULATION: 64,128

MUST DO: Visit the Magnetic Hill, check out the Tidal Bore

MUST AVOID: Mosquitoes

LOCAL SLANG: Chiac is the local dialect, a mash-up of English and Acadian French

SKATEPARKS

Moncton Skatepark: Assomption Boulevard and Foundry Street. Construction on a large street-style expansion is underway. Park is lit 24/7. Watch for mosquitoes when the city mows the grass near the park.

THE GOOD EATS

Moncton Market: 120 Westmorland St. A must-visit on Saturday morning for fresh baked goods, meat, seafood and produce.

Calactus Vegetarian Café: 127 Church St. A great spot, herbivore or not.

A1 Pizza: 687 Main St. Perfect for a late-night mission.

THE GOOD PUB

Navigators Pub: 191 Robinson Crt. Good place to chill after a session. Be sure to try the local Blueberry Ale.

PUBLIC TRANSIT

Typically a $15 to $20 cab ride, Greater Moncton International Airport is 10 minutes out of town.

NOTABLE LOCALS

Justin Allain, Geoff Clifford, Delaney Fearon, James Leger, Dan Malcolm, Mike Prangnell, Brooks Wirsz

RANDOM

Moncton's population is approximately 40 per cent francophone.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:00:12 PM by vince the stud »
tricks are for kids , style is forever

sNooTs

• Rep: -9
« Reply #229 on: September 04, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »
hey it would be tight if some one could do a full rundown on everything in long beach.
im moving there tommorow ;D

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2009, 11:36:35 AM »
has van been done yet?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #231 on: September 16, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
awhile back...but do it again...and don't call it 'van'....what are you from squamish or something?

Chris P. Bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • CA All Day
« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »
Town: San Clemente, CA

Skate Shops: DBC (Doheny Board Center): sickest boardshop around, they carry everything from consolidated and creature to plan b.
Blazin Boardshop: fools are never open, and the dude dont know shit about skating.
Jacks Surfshop: Mostly surfing but they have a decent size skate section with good product.

Spots: SC Park: My favorite spot in sc cause its not a bust and it has the best transition around.
Marblehead: Ten stair, and twelve stair over rail tony tave switch heels over last trick in element vid
Talega Nine: Sheckler tres it then back 180s a huge gap in superfuture promo.
Mormon 7: A little mellow seven rail
High School: mad stairs, banks, and the infamous mellow 6 rail that got taken out years ago that people still have footy on today. shit was epic
Bernice Ayer Middle school: Ledges, 3 up 3 down, and some big double sets
K Mart: manual pad to bank, ledge to manual pad, ledge through gaps and the town famous gap Gomes
Downtown: Skating around downtown you'll find some cool little spots, bombing hills, house spots   

Native sons: These are some people who lived or live here, Jub from label, Kendall Cordova, Ed Devera, Ronnie Creagor, Ryan Sheckler

Eats: Mexican food places every other block, all cheap, all bomb. Mr. Petes Burger, Love Burger, PEDROS TACOS!!

Beach: When its too hot to skate, beach it.

Bitches: So many...

Shops: Mad smoke shops, even some clinics for you patients, goodwill, thirft stores, who shops really???

FranklinSt4Ever

• Rep: 5
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »
Austin TX

Spots:

-there's really no one spot that everyone can meet up at or anything that amazing at all, but the city itself is very skate-condusive, with a downtown full of rolling hills and great bomb spots, with tons of little things along the way.  i'm told there are spots out in the suburbs but i never bother.

-the world famous Psycho Ditch, located on 45th between guadalupe and lamar (KOTR ed templeton frontside rock with a straitjacket on).  its located across from the state mental ward hence the name.  actually a very fun weekend spot, you can even BBQ there.

Shops:

-the newest and coolest shop is "No Comply", owned and operated by none other than jake nunn and elias bingham.  located in a rad part of south austin, it's a small shop but they stock good stuff.

-Find N Grind, pretty awesome little local-run shop.  they have a mini in the back, just ask and i'm sure they'll let you skate it.  the owners of this shop also run a little board company, Brown Boards.

Locals:  everyone is cool, the city itself is laid back and finding fellow schralpers is pretty easy.  you're best bet is to hit up one of the shops and you'll probably find a good crew to show you around or at least point you in the right direction.

Eats:
kinda too many to name.  the whole city is riddled with cheap mexican joints, super authentic shit.  the best as far as price and quality is Tamale House, on airport blvd.  a full taco dinner with all the fixings is $3.25 out the door.  also check out Thundercloud Subs for the best sandwiches in town, or if you've got some money to spend you can check out the Whole Food World Headquarters and load up on some healthy shit.

Booze:  if you've ever been to austin you know finding a bar aint hard.  it all depends on what you want in a bar. 

-for a dark sleazy spot to get completely hammered and probably bump into other skaters, Jackalope is the best bet.  its big and has a nice outdoor portion with a firepit. 
-pretty much just go downtown and wander around until you find something that looks bearable.  if you're feeling trendy and wanna get laid hit up Beauty Bar on 7th for all the latest in hipster girls with tiny headbands, dudes on fixies, and DJs that get paid way too much.

I just moved to austin a month ago, so this is very useful. I live on lamar so I'm going to be checking out that ditch very soon. Well, all of its useful except for the getting laid part because girls are stupid.

FROST YOUR TIPS

• SLAP Pal
  • Alex Olson's Personal Stylist
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »
awhile back...but do it again...and don't call it 'van'....what are you from squamish or something?

anyone done couver yet?

fixed

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »
chicagos filled with 6,7,8's    ive only found a few rails and winters sucks.  But they recently put a park under the highway so thats were im going this winter

WonkaBar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Boston, MA

Shops:

Spots:

Food:

[close]

[close]

There are dope ass banks at one of the hospitals. I for some reason can not remember the name of the hospital.

Boston Medical Center. not too far of a skate from copley fountain and in my experience never a bust

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2009, 11:00:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

anyone done couver yet?

fixed

nice...just don't over do it with...'the couve'....

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »
chicagos filled with 6,7,8's    ive only found a few rails and winters sucks.  But they recently put a park under the highway so thats were im going this winter
logan park, filled with dumbfucks and shitty prefab.

X_x

« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2009, 01:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
logan park, filled with dumbfucks and shitty prefab.

I've only been to that park once, and that's because me and some friends I skate with at Wilson one time decided to make an epic trek from Wilson Skate to Logan Square. A bunch of critics standing around at Logan. Looks like a meet-up spot for some of the local fuck ups.

Anyway I'm sure its been done already since Chicago is a major city, but what the hell

Chicago, Illinois
-Population 3 Million

Shops.
Uprise skate shop- There are a few Skateshops outside of the city limits, but specifically, Uprise Skateshop is your main one. Cool dudes who encourage D.I.Y. and showed me how to put Bearings on my board when I didn't know how. They've been in business for a bit over a decade now, and if you're ever in the Chicago area these are THE people to ask about spots, or just chat random shit with.

http://upriseskateshop.com/

Chicago Skate cafe- This is a smaller place right down the street from Wilson skate park. You'll probably see the dude wearing huge Gauge earrings working over there. They are cool dudes, its a skater themed coffee shop, but as of now they aren't authorized to sell any caffeine products, due to some holdups because of the architecture of the building. Its a pretty comfortable place, so stop by and watch some skate videos, or buy something to support their shop.

Spots

Downtown Chicago is littered with or near great places to skate. Nice marble leges, and manny pads. Many 6, 7, and 8 stairs(Me and some guys found a 10 stair before). There's the East Monroe Garage gap which is known around town. The vent gap is right behind the East Monroe Gap. I can't exactly remember where it was, but I remember on the side of a building(It might have been near East Monroe) there was a NICE little marble park and I have no idea how I found it. Me and some friends go behind this school called Walt Disney(There are pictures of Disney characters drawn all over). Behind the school there's tons of flatground, ledges, manny pads. There's a little park, in Lincoln Park right in between some apartments with a bench, and some nice little ledge all around where you can get some nice rock to fakie stuff going on. I see a lot of Skaters by the Daley Center as well and in that surrounding area. Just if you skate downtown don't count on being in one spot for too long, but it should be no biggie as it shouldn't be too hard to find another interesting spot.

-Skateparks

Wilson Skatepark is the one you can find everyone at usally. Kind of in Uptown Chicago.
Grant Skate Plaza- 90% flat. There's a manny pad that Redbull built, some benches, and some other stuff that really isn't too high impact. Near Downtown Chicago.
Burnham Skatepark- 31st Lake shore drive. Right near the lake. A lot of people in Chicago don't like this park, but I like it. It doesn't flow as well as it could, but there's a pool and some other fun stuff there to do. Easy to practice in, because I've hardly ever seen it at max capacity.

I'm shit at explaining so rather than explain when I have free time I'll Skate around Chicago and take pictures of whatever I find Skatable as I go along.

Food
Chicago is World renowned for its deep-dish Pizza which gives new meaning to the word "Pizza Pie". For Chicago pizza check out Gino's East, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's. For an authentic Italian deli sandwich there's Bari's. Halsted Street Deli also makes a pretty damn good sandwich. Garrett's popcorn is worth a look. Rainbow Cone is also a must try. Goose Island Beer is also pretty good so you should check that out

Shop

Jugrnaut if you're into whatever trendy street fashion. Belmont Army is about the same. The Magnificent Mile is worth checking out. The Water Tower Mall if you're into more upscale-ish shopping(Cheapest stores in there I saw if I recall correctly was an Adidas store and there's also a Lids in there). There's a Levi's store down there and numerous clothing and shopping shops strewn about downtown and up North.

That's Chicago in a nutshell. As I said, I'll see if I can get around to going downtown, and shooting some quick pictures of some of the cooler spots around town.