Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 765544 times)

Deepern0ah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #540 on: September 25, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »

jpmulls

• Rep: 6

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #542 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:13 PM »
These are going to look so good on Tom Knox
That's an odd thing to say. . . But I couldn't agree more.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:26:14 PM by Bubblegum Tate »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #543 on: September 27, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »

These look nice, being mid if I do cop I'll slap some actually cushioned insoles.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:34 AM »

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #545 on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #546 on: October 30, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
damn, just realized the insoles in the v2's are shittier than before... they arent that polyurethane material but rather some foam that feels really easy to pack down when i pinch it. Sucks that these cost 90 bucks yet likely need to replace the insoles. fuuuuuuuuuuck

Anyone know why they would cheap out on the insole material with the new version, other than cutting costs?

To any rep from new balance reading this; PM me and we can discuss taking this post down in exchange for a few pair of v2's. Thanks!

I believe the footbeds on the V2's were changed to what PJ actually wanted.  He likes a softer insole as opposed to the harder and denser ones we use on other shoes.  I think it's just a matter of personal preference.  It definitely wasn't a cost cutting measure.  Our insoles are some of the better ones on the market.  Hope that helps!

rothdigga

« Reply #547 on: October 30, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »
Any one try the 288? They keep catching my eye.

I'm a little jaded obviously since I work here at NB#, but ever since the 288 came out, that's all I skate.  Now granted, I'm a 45 year old dude who mostly gets down on curbs and ledges, but still, they're so perfect for skating. 

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #548 on: October 30, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »
Anyone else part of the weartest program? I ve been apart of it for a while and lately they havent sent me any shoes.

Deepern0ah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #549 on: October 30, 2017, 04:59:41 PM »
Anyone else part of the weartest program? I ve been apart of it for a while and lately they havent sent me any shoes.

I was for two different models. The first time they sent me the 637 that were a size bigger than I listed I was. I also put that I prefer to skate vulcs instead of tech cupsoles. Next they send me the 868... which I will say was a great shoe. Just not my style, as I said. I never got another pair after that. Oh well. It was cool while it lasted. Thanks NB# for the temporary opportunity to try out some new shoes. Wish I was still getting to do that but I'm sure there's a million kids out there that will put the sample shoes through a hell of a lot more than I will.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #550 on: October 31, 2017, 07:08:20 AM »
Expand Quote
damn, just realized the insoles in the v2's are shittier than before... they arent that polyurethane material but rather some foam that feels really easy to pack down when i pinch it. Sucks that these cost 90 bucks yet likely need to replace the insoles. fuuuuuuuuuuck

Anyone know why they would cheap out on the insole material with the new version, other than cutting costs?

To any rep from new balance reading this; PM me and we can discuss taking this post down in exchange for a few pair of v2's. Thanks!
[close]

I believe the footbeds on the V2's were changed to what PJ actually wanted.  He likes a softer insole as opposed to the harder and denser ones we use on other shoes.  I think it's just a matter of personal preference.  It definitely wasn't a cost cutting measure.  Our insoles are some of the better ones on the market.  Hope that helps!

I also prefer a soft insole, are there any other models that are going to use this insole? Also, on the 288, do I need to go a half size up like previous runs?

rothdigga

« Reply #551 on: October 31, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I also prefer a soft insole, are there any other models that are going to use this insole? Also, on the 288, do I need to go a half size up like previous runs?

The 288's actually use the softer insole as well.  I normally wear an 11.5 in everything and the 288's fit exactly true for me.  They're more narrow but for whatever reason, it's so perfect on my foot.  A lot of shoe stuff has to do with what works for your foot shape in my opinion and for me, the 288 is just right on the money. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #552 on: October 31, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The 288's actually use the softer insole as well.  I normally wear an 11.5 in everything and the 288's fit exactly true for me.  They're more narrow but for whatever reason, it's so perfect on my foot.  A lot of shoe stuff has to do with what works for your foot shape in my opinion and for me, the 288 is just right on the money.

Thanks for the quick reply, did you stick with the same size for the 533v1 as well?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #553 on: October 31, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »
-NB#
Burgundy
Pink
Cream-

These look more like the older version of the 344, without the pushed back seam... either way this shoe skates amazingly. Your foot sits so low in them, giving a great amount of boardfeel.  Also the suede they use is superb. I skated a pair for a month straight this summer, when most shoes last me about 2-3 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:01:39 PM by Bubblegum Tate »

rothdigga

« Reply #554 on: November 02, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the quick reply, did you stick with the same size for the 533v1 as well?

I haven't messed with the 533V2 yet.  I know, there's a whole shelf of them on the other side of my desk that I'm typing this from right now, but I've been so locked into the 288 that I haven't worn any.  But we did update the fit on that shoe and it should fit more in line with what you normally wear.  Hope that helps a little. 

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #555 on: November 02, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I haven't messed with the 533V2 yet.  I know, there's a whole shelf of them on the other side of my desk that I'm typing this from right now, but I've been so locked into the 288 that I haven't worn any.  But we did update the fit on that shoe and it should fit more in line with what you normally wear.  Hope that helps a little.

...trying to gauge what size I should get in the 288, and I know the 533v1 ran small, so I'm hesitant to get the same size in the 288 - so just trying to find a reference point. Surprised you never tried the 533v1.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #556 on: November 02, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yep, I skated like 4-5 pairs of the 533 v2, some of them were samples. But all of them are size 9 and fits me perfect with FP game changers insoles.

In the first version of the v1, I had to size up .5 if I could since the toe area was so slim. The heel area was fine but the front part had no give.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #557 on: November 02, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
Ive been skating blazers pretty consistently the last 2 years and want to try a new cupsole. I’ve heard great things about nb but now my question is which do I pick 868 or 533? Any suggestions keeping in mind I’m coming off of blazers?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Global Moderator

« Reply #558 on: November 05, 2017, 06:02:00 AM »
Ive been skating blazers pretty consistently the last 2 years and want to try a new cupsole. I’ve heard great things about nb but now my question is which do I pick 868 or 533? Any suggestions keeping in mind I’m coming off of blazers?

I've skated both the 868 and the 533... the 533 is way more comfortable, especially the new version. The 533 also skates amazing out of the box, where the 868 needs some break in time. And due to its tech-ier design, the 868 is slightly more bulky. The 868 also has a wider outsole where the ball of your foot is, about 4 3/8s wide compared to the 533's 4 1/4, making the 868 slightly more stable. The 868 wears out slower compared to the 533, but balances out due to break in time. The 533 also stretches a bit during the life of the shoe where I find the 868 stays pretty true to form. Hope this helps.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #559 on: November 05, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've skated both the 868 and the 533... the 533 is way more comfortable, especially the new version. The 533 also skates amazing out of the box, where the 868 needs some break in time. And due to its tech-ier design, the 868 is slightly more bulky. The 868 also has a wider outsole where the ball of your foot is, about 4 3/8s wide compared to the 533's 4 1/4, making the 868 slightly more stable. The 868 wears out slower compared to the 533, but balances out due to break in time. The 533 also stretches a bit during the life of the shoe where I find the 868 stays pretty true to form. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, really interesting.

The more I think about it, the more I think Slap should have a separate section just for Shoe reviews. With a separate topic for each shoe and and 5/6 sections on each shoe (sizing, durability, grip, comfort, pictures etc.), and some moderators (Tate, heritage, Firebert, Will Easley...) that can edit or erase some bullshit reviews.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #560 on: November 05, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey GM, I've been looking into getting a pair of 868's and usually wear a 9 in Vans and SB Blazers. There's no shop near me that has these and each online retailer suggests ordering a half size up (9.5). Your description makes me thing they'll be true-to-size. If you don't mind, what size would you suggest?
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Global Moderator

« Reply #561 on: November 05, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
Hey GM, I've been looking into getting a pair of 868's and usually wear a 9 in Vans and SB Blazers. There's no shop near me that has these and each online retailer suggests ordering a half size up (9.5). Your description makes me thing they'll be true-to-size. If you don't mind, what size would you suggest?

I wear a 9.5 in the 868s and they're a bit snugger than I'd like, but the 10s feel a little too loose, so I err on the side of snug. When I wore Nikes a bunch (P-Rod 5 & 7, Project BA, the Koston 1)... All were a size 9 and fit me on the snug side. The 9.5 868s fit exactly like the size 9 Nike's I wore.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #562 on: November 05, 2017, 07:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wear a 9.5 in the 868s and they're a bit snugger than I'd like, but the 10s feel a little too loose, so I err on the side of snug. When I wore Nikes a bunch (P-Rod 5 & 7, Project BA, the Koston 1)... All were a size 9 and fit me on the snug side. The 9.5 868s fit exactly like the size 9 Nike's I wore.

Couldn't ask for a better answer, thanks!
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #563 on: November 05, 2017, 07:59:39 PM »
A skate version should be coming out in 2018?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbI2H7ihC4Y/
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #564 on: November 09, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Weird... most people would consider the 533's very stiff out of the box compared to your typical cupshole even. If I'd skate in them right out of the box I'd have pretty terrible board feel until about 2 weeks in. I can't imagine the 868's if what your saying is true. I've had both the original 533's and the v2 now, the v2's are not as difficult to break in but both are excellent once at their peak. Great shoes that can provide you with months of skating at your best with worrying about them blowing out. The lace protectors are great. Definitely going to stick with them for a while now and I'm anticipating some some better colorways.

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #565 on: November 09, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for replying. You're right the insoles certainly aren't any worse than the original ones. I actually gave those v1 insoles to a friend in need after the actual shoes were toast. They were pretty solid albeit a bit stiff to the point where impacts could sting a little.

After skating the V2's for a few months now I really love them. My feet have never felt so secure in a shoe before. You really have to try to roll your ankle with these. They sit so stable and prevent your ankle from folding over, yet still function really well for skating. I'm sort of afraid to skate anything else now lol. I think a lot of guys coming from vulc shoes won't stick with these long enough to see what they're really about. They have a long break in period and take a while to get used to. My pop with them is better than ever and I'm old.  ;D

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #566 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for replying. You're right the insoles certainly aren't any worse than the original ones. I actually gave those v1 insoles to a friend in need after the actual shoes were toast. They were pretty solid albeit a bit stiff to the point where impacts could sting a little.

After skating the V2's for a few months now I really love them. My feet have never felt so secure in a shoe before. You really have to try to roll your ankle with these. They sit so stable and prevent your ankle from folding over, yet still function really well for skating. I'm sort of afraid to skate anything else now lol. I think a lot of guys coming from vulc shoes won't stick with these long enough to see what they're really about. They have a long break in period and take a while to get used to. My pop with them is better than ever and I'm old.  ;D

Makes me really want to try a pair. Sole stability(difficulty in folding ankle) is my number one priority in looking for a shoe. Does it fit small/narrow though? I hear a lot of people say it runs on the smaller side and a narrower shoe is generally more prone to ankle folds. I'm also a size 13 and they don't seem to make anything bigger :/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:54:18 PM by tzhangdox »

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #567 on: November 09, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »
So my biggest deal breaker with a pair of skate shoes is when my foot can flop over the side of the sole.  I’m a big dude, but I’ve got a pretty low instep/low volume foot and when my shit twists around inside a shoe it’s maddening and I have no control.  What most people call “broken in” I call “blown out.”  Pretty much all vulc shoes are useless to me after a few hours.  I’m really drawn toward the 868 and 533v2.  All the talk about running small and taking forever to break in sounds fantastic.  The 868 almost reminds me of a modern version of Kenny anderson’s Original Adio shoe, which I liked a lot a million years ago.  Anyone skated both the 868 and 533v2 with some insights to share?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:52:45 PM by Hypnotoad »

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #568 on: November 10, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »
My go to shoe is the 533. Skated the original a bunch and two pairs of the V2 so far. I've also had two pairs of the 868 but haven't skated them as much as the 533. The 868 to me def. feels bulkier and less board feel but that may improve once I break them in. If you prefer a slimmer more streamlined shoe I'd go for the 533 but you really can't go wrong with either of them.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #569 on: November 17, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Gotta show some love to the 533 v2’s as well. Three sessions in and I already feel like they’re gonna be my go-to shoe for the next few months. Went half a size up as recommended on their site and they fit perfectly. Sole was definietly pretty stiff at first but I bent & flexed the hell out of them to speed up the break in process and theyre good to go now. Really well constructed shoe and I’m loving the internal laces & pocket on the tongue. I skated the very first 533s when they were with blackbox & I’m impressed at the fact that NB# & PJ didn’t rest on their laurels with their best selling model and continued to refine it. Hopefully we get a V2 version of that Boston blue/white/red colorway, that’s always been one of my favorite looking skate shoes