Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 765814 times)

rothdigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #810 on: June 17, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »
Where the 420's though?

We're launching the 420 on July 10...I know that makes no sense in terms of the numbers, but since it wasn't going to come out on April 20, we decided on July 10...

rothdigga

« Reply #811 on: June 17, 2018, 08:15:40 PM »
Is NB done with the 598?

598's have been phased out with the 440 and 288 in the line now.  If you liked that sole, the 440 sole is pretty much the same.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #812 on: June 18, 2018, 01:56:03 AM »
What is going on in Europe? Whoever is in charge in doing a poor job.
Almost no colorways are available in shops or the web.
On top of that, in the skateboard section of the newbalance web they even mix Numeric shoes with lifestyle collection like the 331 the 424 or the 617 (that kinda look like numeric but is not numeric).
The 440 is available in some UK shops, but nowhere to be seen elsewhere even on the new balance site.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #813 on: June 18, 2018, 02:51:00 AM »
On top of that, in the skateboard section of the newbalance web they even mix Numeric shoes with lifestyle collection like the 331 the 424 or the 617 (that kinda look like numeric but is not numeric).
The 440 is available in some UK shops, but nowhere to be seen elsewhere even on the new balance site.

You mean you don't like black and white or super white?

I get that nb owes us nothing, but I don't get why they're seemingly not even trying in the UK.

thomas kook

« Reply #814 on: June 18, 2018, 03:01:22 AM »
new balance can do whatever they want as long as they never stop making the 212/213s. i seriously never want to skate another shoe

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: June 18, 2018, 03:47:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I get that nb owes us nothing, but I don't get why they're seemingly not even trying in the UK.
It's not even that I hate that colorway, but the offer is so reduced and the potential is so big that I'm kinda frustrated.

rothdigga

« Reply #816 on: June 18, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »

I wish we could just list the entire catalog and have it available in Europe/UK.  Not to pull the curtain back too far, but the problem arises with minimums on buying for each region.  But for sure, there needs to be a better assortment and we are aware of that.  I get a good amount of requests from stores that I'm friends with over there and our DM's reflect it.  Since we've only really been on the shelf for 3 years, it's still a work in progress. 
As for the 331/424/617's on the site, those are designed out of our offices but are for the Lifestyle category.  But a lot of times since they're vulc and or flat-soled cups, they get placed on the skate section also. 

birdplops

« Reply #817 on: June 18, 2018, 11:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It's not even that I hate that colorway, but the offer is so reduced and the potential is so big that I'm kinda frustrated.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkA2AcRBDDd/?hl=en&tagged=nm440

Hopefully we get more options in this much-hyped July release. If we don't get the Knox version, there's no hope!

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #818 on: June 19, 2018, 12:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wish we could just list the entire catalog and have it available in Europe/UK.  Not to pull the curtain back too far, but the problem arises with minimums on buying for each region.  But for sure, there needs to be a better assortment and we are aware of that.  I get a good amount of requests from stores that I'm friends with over there and our DM's reflect it.  Since we've only really been on the shelf for 3 years, it's still a work in progress. 
As for the 331/424/617's on the site, those are designed out of our offices but are for the Lifestyle category.  But a lot of times since they're vulc and or flat-soled cups, they get placed on the skate section also. 
Thanks for the feedback, and I understand how hard is to compete with other brands that saturates the shops with colorways and models every months, but I hope European skaters get to have some more choice. Keep up the good work!

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #819 on: June 19, 2018, 06:06:46 AM »
Does NB actively hate vegans?  There are a bunch of models in the numeric/lifestyle line that are all-canvas or synthetic, then have a leather/suede "N" or some other piece of nonfunctional small leather trim.  I can understand when a mostly-canvas skate shoe puts on a suede toecap or ollie patch, but to have a nonfunctional trim piece ruin an otherwise animal-friendly shoe, it's frustrating.  I'm being facetious when I say "hate vegans", but any insight Rothdigga?  (I know there are other factors like glues, rubber etc that may make a shoe not completely vegan, but for this discussion i'm just talking about upper materials. thanks!)

rothdigga

« Reply #820 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »
Does NB actively hate vegans?  There are a bunch of models in the numeric/lifestyle line that are all-canvas or synthetic, then have a leather/suede "N" or some other piece of nonfunctional small leather trim.  I can understand when a mostly-canvas skate shoe puts on a suede toecap or ollie patch, but to have a nonfunctional trim piece ruin an otherwise animal-friendly shoe, it's frustrating.  I'm being facetious when I say "hate vegans", but any insight Rothdigga?  (I know there are other factors like glues, rubber etc that may make a shoe not completely vegan, but for this discussion i'm just talking about upper materials. thanks!)

It's not an active hate but more of a steady dislike...of course I'm kidding.  I think from the designers standpoint, it's always an aesthetic thing where they're trying to add some flavor to a canvas shoe with an accent of leather or suede.  It's not meant to ruin it for any vegans out there.  The 420 that is about to drop is 100% synthetic though, with the exception of the glue (which isn't verified vegan), it's as close as we have come.  I have sent those to Andrew Cannon and he's skated them (vegan homie of mine) and loves them.  Prior to that we didn't have much to offer besides the 212 tacos and beer one which was all canvas and rubber.  I'm sure that looking for shoes is one of the most frustrating processes for you. 

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: June 19, 2018, 04:13:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's not an active hate but more of a steady dislike...of course I'm kidding.  I think from the designers standpoint, it's always an aesthetic thing where they're trying to add some flavor to a canvas shoe with an accent of leather or suede.  It's not meant to ruin it for any vegans out there.  The 420 that is about to drop is 100% synthetic though, with the exception of the glue (which isn't verified vegan), it's as close as we have come.  I have sent those to Andrew Cannon and he's skated them (vegan homie of mine) and loves them.  Prior to that we didn't have much to offer besides the 212 tacos and beer one which was all canvas and rubber.  I'm sure that looking for shoes is one of the most frustrating processes for you.
It's true but I enjoy the challenge! haha.  Hyped to hear about the 420s, definitely looking forward to those! 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #822 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »
The 420 that is about to drop is 100% synthetic though
and that's why I'm looking forward to them.
Seriously though Rothdigga, you could have a nice niche in the market with a few more vegan-friendly models

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #823 on: June 21, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »
I'm not even vegetarian anymore and I can see this as a good angle. Yes, Sheep did it first but that was literally decades ago and vegan diets seem to be getting more and more common. Corner the market. It's literally anyone's for the taking.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #824 on: June 27, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »
Finally made the long drive to the closest dealer today to try on some nb# today.  Slipped on various cup soles, but the 12s were a tad too small and the 13s were way too big, and since the shoe industry long ago decided that 12.5 isn’t a thing I guess I’m hosed.  Shame since they felt amazing.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Rep: 34
« Reply #826 on: July 01, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
533V2's are true to size now? Or are they only slightly more TTS and I should still go up a half size?

shotformeat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #827 on: July 06, 2018, 03:33:56 AM »
Just got my third pair of 533's, second pair of v2s; the brown and gum ones and the quality and materials are amazing. Absolutely my favourite skate shoes, remind of the shoes I used to skate but slimmed down and modernised in a way that doesn't compromise on the things I actually like (a real midsole). The one problem I've had with the v2s is that the heel collar is slightly higher/stiffer than the first ones and rubs my achilles in a way I mostly avoided with the first ones, but I get that with most shoes anyway that aren't mids just because of tendonitis.

Weirdly though comparing them to the black and gold v2s from the first run I'm skating right now, the black ones are stiffer/feel harder than these do out the box, and being able to compare them side by side it definitely seems like the revlite is both harder and a bit thinner on the black pair. I'd thought it was just in my head or I'd remembered them being different, but there's a noticeable difference. Were there any issues or anything with that first run rothdigga? Or is it just the kind of thing that's unavoidable and I got unlucky with my pair? Still skating great mind, just missed that cushioned feeling form my other pairs!

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #828 on: July 08, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
I am on my first pair of 533s v2 and I had similar issues with the heel for few days. But after walking around in them for a week I went skating yesterday and it's the best shoe I have skated (ever?). Broken in from the get-go, soft, stable, everything is quite perfect. I am a cupsole guy and skated Westgate ccs and Maranas a lot. Skated the 868s as well but didn't like them. Maranas are super durable but offer way less boardfeel than the 533 v2. Had to go up half a size though, not TTS for me. Will buy again.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #829 on: July 08, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
Strange, I've heard a lot of good things about the 533s, but couldn't get into my 533 v2s that much. Once broken in they were grippy, stable and had good boardfeel and everything, but they just don't have much cushion for a cupsole, I just got done skating some dunk elites and some dunks and those had significantly more impact support and a similar amount of stability and boardfeel(if not more).

birdplops

« Reply #830 on: July 09, 2018, 04:41:01 AM »
Aftet a couple of months, I'm just about done getting through my first pair of 868s and genuinely love them.

I'm normally a 9-9.5 and have been wearing a 10. My only real complaint is about the sole being a pebble magnet, as I would have to spend a moment removing stones before stepping on board to ensure I didn't mess up my grip.

I'm still not convinced by the sizing (at least it's consistent?) but will for sure be grabbing a couple of pairs of nb in the release apparently scheduled for this week.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/lzfrQij

ungzilla

« Reply #831 on: July 10, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
i guess you can buy the 420s now if you're into that kind of thing

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/p.aspx?ID=79775&CID=322

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #832 on: July 10, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
I can't wait to get that Tom Knox 440

birdplops

« Reply #833 on: July 10, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »

Are you into them? They're not doing it for me right now, but I'll keep an open mind and will try them on if I ever see them in the wild. I'd for sure be interested to hear about how they feel.

The UK got a pile of stuff yesterday and I ended up going for some 440s, though there's no Tom Knox edition yet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlAtSPQl3B4/?utm_source=ig_web_share

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #834 on: July 11, 2018, 12:39:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Is NB done with the 598?
[close]

598's have been phased out with the 440 and 288 in the line now.  If you liked that sole, the 440 sole is pretty much the same.
Good choice. The 598's were just a little busy with all of the different paneling.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: July 11, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you into them? They're not doing it for me right now, but I'll keep an open mind and will try them on if I ever see them in the wild. I'd for sure be interested to hear about how they feel.

I picked up the 420s yesterday.  They fit much wider than I'm used to, but maybe that's because I've been skating only in vulcs for the past 10 years.  The toe box is also a bit bigger/taller than I had hoped from the photos.  But they are super comfortable and ridiculously light.  I'll update after I skate them.

ungzilla

« Reply #836 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I picked up the 420s yesterday.  They fit much wider than I'm used to, but maybe that's because I've been skating only in vulcs for the past 10 years.  The toe box is also a bit bigger/taller than I had hoped from the photos.  But they are super comfortable and ridiculously light.  I'll update after I skate them.

yea not really into the 420s, they look like they'll go floppy fast. probably nice for not skating in though.

the 440s look very good, if I buy some more NBs anytime soon, it will be those.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #837 on: July 11, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »
gonna try to get a Coffee Break out on the 440s and 420s soon comparing them to some other #NB and also some other shoes...
hardly art, hardly starving

shotformeat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #838 on: July 11, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
gonna try to get a Coffee Break out on the 440s and 420s soon comparing them to some other #NB and also some other shoes...

Looking forward to that! Yours are the best reviews going right now, we need a proper dedicated coffee break site, especially now ripped laces seems to be dead...

Pigeon

« Reply #839 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They’re alright-looking. If they’re decent for walking/other shit, I’ll only buy these, because I hate having to change shoes.