Author Topic: does anyone keep bees?  (Read 15075 times)

shark tits

does anyone keep bees?
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:33:29 AM »
i think it would be a great hobby and it is encumbent upon me and anyone aware of the monsanto - nicotine poisoning that caused mass bee die offs over the last decade to replace em.
can i just get a packet of bees and throw em in a box and call it a day? like, asides harvesting the honey can i just let the bees run amok and pat myself on the back for helping nature bounce back or do they require more care? anyone in the new england area want to go in halves on a 3 pound packet of bees w/ me? i can keep them in my yard but i might be more likely to be on top of things if i had a partner in my apiary adentures. i know people that are good at bees can bring their hive to an orchard [for a fee] and let their bees pollinate the place then somehow they return to the vehicle at the end of the shift and get brought home. i'm not 100 how the whole thing works but sounds fascinating.

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: does anyone keep bees?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:36:11 AM »
Creepy...

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:15:57 AM »
A coworker of mine has a couple of hives. He brings in samples of honey every so often and its awesome. Apart from that I got nothing...
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
Definitely do it. Not sure how, beats me. But you're doing good for our dying planet, and we need more people like you.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

shark tits

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
thanks hooman. i wanna get a partner so i don't space it but i'm pretty good at my garden. my downstairs neighbor will water it too but i'm consistent enough that it's not necessary for him to do it and i'm the only one who weeds. w/ the bees though, i don't know what i'm doing so i feel like learning together would guarantee that i don't space it. i spose though just buying them and putting em out there is good for the earth. even if they don't like my yard and they tell me to screw and swarm to another area, i've added to the bee population of my area and hopefully they'll reproduce into more hives and make up for a small portion of the nicotine poisoned honeybees. my sisters and upstairs neighbor are into it but into me doing it more so than committing. i think i'll do it and hope it's so neat that i get helpers along the way.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:45:41 PM »
Never had the space, you gotta live on a farm or have some acreage. Very interesting stuff. Guess you buy the bees from another keeper, queen bee is like the golden snitch. There is no failing, what's the worst that can happen? Best case scenario is sharktits branded fresh honey, sign me up for a pre-order!

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 07:49:45 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

shark tits

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
Never had the space, you gotta live on a farm or have some acreage. Very interesting stuff. Guess you buy the bees from another keeper, queen bee is like the golden snitch. There is no failing, what's the worst that can happen? Best case scenario is sharktits branded fresh honey, sign me up for a pre-order!
yeah, i guess my worst case scenario is i buy a packet of bees and they decide they don't like me and swarm away. or died somehow? you're prolly right though, it's a winning game. best case scenario i'll send ya some honey in the fall, tracer.

coneklr

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:30:23 PM »
I'll ask my woman tomorrow, she's been keeping bees for a bit.  If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll see if she's got the answers, but to my knowledge it is very low key and costs are reasonable although there are newer boxes that remove the honey really easy without destroying the comb, but I think those are more.  I'm definitely not the expert on this haha

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 01:05:13 AM »
When I was working in Singapore I was trying to set up / convince my boss to start up some bee colonies at our farm . We didnt use much honey in our dishes but it could have been cool for some stuff , and the honey comb could have been used aswell

I went out afew times with a gang who used to re place bee hives " civilians"  didnt want around . They would replace them or start a beehive for honey with them

Anyways the farm we used was about 8 hours from where I lived , so I would have to spend 16 hours a day on my day off just to get to the bees and then care for them when Im there for afew hours

Just didnt work out . I might try something here in Sweden for the next restaurant I work at

Bees are cool

shark tits

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 05:40:59 AM »
Dad has multiple sclerosis. One of the many crazy treatments he tried when I was a kid was some kind of acupunture with bees. He'd keep a plastic bag full of bees, pick them up carefully and stab himself in certain points of the body with the little bees. My mother made dad stop after my brother found the bag and stuck his hand inside.

Bee raising always looked like a big operation to me. The place where he'd get the bees was an apiary by an airfield. So maybe if you have the right place, are not allergic or squeamish, you should totally try that, and keep us updated.
ms sucks, sorry to hear. my therapist has ms, i'm gonna tell her about BEE IY acupuncture but i doubt she'll try it. sounds neat. hope he gets better.
thanks everyone, coneklr i prolly will lean on you once i get my packet of bees.
monty, 8 hours is really long drive in a car and 16 hours is too long inside a car. i don't have a huge yard but i can stash some bees i think. hopefully they like my ma's flowers and my veggies enough to stick around and hopefully i'm balls enough to retrieve the honey. i'll definitely update everyone even if it's more questions than my little victories.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »
You should do it, a high school friend of mine, her dad kept bees and used to make all kinds of stuff out of the wax and honey. It was pretty cool. Plus, bees are good for the planet.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »
This is quite cool

New Invention - Flow: Honey on Tap Directly From your Beehive

For the next restaurant I work for I would like to set up a bee keeping project if they do have a garden or maybe I could rent a small garden plot and keep bees on it  . Maybe even ontop of a apartment roof I live in maybe

Going to try to set up some hunting aswell where I do the hunting and harvesting and the restaurant pays for the transportation and the weeks of hanging in a meat fridge . Combined with foraging mushrooms and herbs
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:39:40 AM by Monty Burns »

coneklr

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Dad has multiple sclerosis. One of the many crazy treatments he tried when I was a kid was some kind of acupunture with bees. He'd keep a plastic bag full of bees, pick them up carefully and stab himself in certain points of the body with the little bees. My mother made dad stop after my brother found the bag and stuck his hand inside.

Bee raising always looked like a big operation to me. The place where he'd get the bees was an apiary by an airfield. So maybe if you have the right place, are not allergic or squeamish, you should totally try that, and keep us updated.
[close]
thanks everyone, coneklr i prolly will lean on you once i get my packet of bees.

Hit me up when you get them with any questions you have and I'll relay them and get you any answers I can

Eric ricks

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 03:52:08 PM »
Cool idea!

Bees are awesome! Hornets are horrible

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 04:12:44 PM »
Bees are gross, just buy honey from the store

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 04:23:01 PM »
Bees are gross, just buy honey from the store

Fresh honey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> honey in bottles from stores....
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 08:55:43 AM »
Mead is one of the easiest kinds of alcohol you can make.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

shark tits

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »
i don't drink, mead ain't gonna replace the bees monsanto killed and pollinate the plants in my neighborhood.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
The Wicker Man: The bees extended cut

Kind of an obscure topic, but I honestly, I agree it could be kind of cool... you know, if I had the time/space.

shark tits

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 10:49:20 AM »
The Wicker Man: The bees extended cut

Kind of an obscure topic, but I honestly, I agree it could be kind of cool... you know, if I had the time/space.
granted he has all the time in the world for he is immortal but candyman lived in the projects yet he had enough room to keep bees. i hear ya lookin for candyman, bitch?
Dirty Horror: "We Hear You're Looking For Candyman, Bitch!"

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »
I have about a quarter acre of blackberries and for many years now, a beekeeper friend has kept hives on my property during the summer. He keeps hives at our other friend's place, who has apple trees, my understanding is that without fruit in close proximity, the bees won't stick around. There doesn't seem to be much upkeep, he comes and visits the wooden boxes a couple times a summer, I guess he harvest's the comb, but I've never watched the process.
Anyway, just some more anecdotal encouragement, I think bees are pretty fascinating and definitely good to have around. It might be in my head, but I feel like they get used to individuals too, maybe through smell or body language. Sometimes I move in close and watch their operations, they don't seem to mind as long as I keep it slow. Good luck.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »
I wanted to get one of those urban beekeeping boxes you can put in front of your window, but my lady is not hyped on the idea of sleeping next to a bee colony.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:28:20 PM by pica »

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
and one of the most fattening.

shark tits

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
I have about a quarter acre of blackberries and for many years now, a beekeeper friend has kept hives on my property during the summer. He keeps hives at our other friend's place, who has apple trees, my understanding is that without fruit in close proximity, the bees won't stick around. There doesn't seem to be much upkeep, he comes and visits the wooden boxes a couple times a summer, I guess he harvest's the comb, but I've never watched the process.
Anyway, just some more anecdotal encouragement, I think bees are pretty fascinating and definitely good to have around. It might be in my head, but I feel like they get used to individuals too, maybe through smell or body language. Sometimes I move in close and watch their operations, they don't seem to mind as long as I keep it slow. Good luck.
that's rad and good to know about the fruit. i've got 2 mulberry trees that don't produce much berries, strawberries in june and tomatoes and hot peppers the rest of the summer. might have to step up my garden a bit but hopefully i can entice them to stay. i think you're right about the bees, i read a fiction story 'the secret life of bees' and one of the old black women who made honey said to project love to the bees and be calm and they'll be likewise.
pica, that's understandable. bees kill more people than sharks and alligators combined. i made that up but i bet it's true and you can prolly add snakes and moped crashes. bees are wicked deadly!
not necessarily honeybees but mostly criminal bees from africa.  ???

shark tits

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
i got my bees and it opened up my eyes and i am happy now that i got my bees. rain is a setback but i'll unload em from that wood box to the 'deep' or hive later today when we get a warm spell.
at long last

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 08:45:59 AM »
i got my bees and it opened up my eyes and i am happy now that i got my bees. rain is a setback but i'll unload em from that wood box to the 'deep' or hive later today when we get a warm spell.
at long last
Rad. So happy you got 'em.