Author Topic: does anyone keep bees?  (Read 15083 times)

shark tits

Re: does anyone keep bees?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 10:17:23 AM »
thanks a lot sodajerk! here's another vid that doesn't translate but it feels like a victory moving frames of bees from one box to another w/ their permission. seen it on youtube but stepping to the plate is something else! only got stung once and can attribute that to my mother being slow on the smoke when i cracked open the ceiling of that box. after that it was mostly smooth and exciting. hope to hang onto this hobby and meet other beezers.
my beez!!!

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »
What's the deal with working with them, do you have to gear up and smoke them every time you go near the hive?

shark tits

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
What's the deal with working with them, do you have to gear up and smoke them every time you go near the hive?
it's subjective. just met a freind's gf who did it for 8 yrs, fullblow, she'll show up at your house and vacuum your honeybees for a hefty price then go home and put them into her own hives. she didn't use any protection, i think she used smoke the whole time or more often than not but i'm not 100. i think people may play up their own 'oneness' w/ the bees but there's a youtube guy 'dirtrooster628' and i've seen vids of him never wearing a suit [he's a heavy man in mississippi, better stung than hot] and he'll yank down a branch of bees then back away from the calamity before rebounding '60-70 lbs of bees'. he's rad!
i didn't wear gloves cause i want to be connected but i'm half a pussy. it was a good start since gloves didn't make me clumsy and a little sting ain't no thing, may even treat arthritis.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
Your neighbors are going to be upset. I would be if 2000 bees just moved in next door

shark tits

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
eh, the fat guy who owns the home shrugged it off when i told him about it and smiled back at me today when i pointed at the box [pre-unload]. his junkie/dope dealer tenant might be bummed but he don't spend much time outside. anyone w/ plants would be stoked to have bees pollinating and perpetuating nature's cycles.

shark tits

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 06:51:34 PM »
Can you see her? Had a good 3 wks of spying her & no stings but lately the bees have been 'hot' for whatever reason. They're still gentle bčes but they've handed out some stings lately & I've seen em rat pack invading yellowjackets.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jwzu0t_Eho

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
Hey....I was wondering why are some bees big and fuzzy?  Some aren't.....can all bees make honey?

shark tits

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
Hey....I was wondering why are some bees big and fuzzy?  Some aren't.....can all bees make honey?
I'm glad you asked j.soy.
Bumblebees are the great big fat bees you're thinking of. They're furry & cute but they don't make honey. They are pollinators  (as are wasps) just not as proficient as apis melliflera aka euro honey bee. As such it's wicked important to save our honey bee although it's possible other insects  (& hummingbirds) may step to the plate & pollinate our food. There is no honeybee indigenous to the Americas so either Indians had less fruit or other bugs were helping them eat.

swag nollies

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
Im licking honey off a plate right now. It a payoff forsure, honey is liquid gold. Specially that natural shit.

Honey
Weed
Watermelon
Eggs
Peppers, plus a whole bunch of other shit, its my dream to grow shit in my yard. Using the ecosystem instead of rape-ing it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm glad you asked j.soy.
Bumblebees are the great big fat bees you're thinking of. They're furry & cute but they don't make honey. They are pollinators  (as are wasps) just not as proficient as apis melliflera aka euro honey bee. As such it's wicked important to save our honey bee although it's possible other insects  (& hummingbirds) may step to the plate & pollinate our food. There is no honeybee indigenous to the Americas so either Indians had less fruit or other bugs were helping them eat.

Thanks....be careful....a guy I know found out the hard way....allergic to bees....throat swelled up and everything.....I guess it's like the second time you get stung in your life shit can go bad? 

Good to know wasps are good for something.....

shark tits

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 04:03:33 PM »
Yeah, that & predation on pest insects. Mostly they're bad for business though. Here's my girls beating the heat.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KeullqJ7zz4

shark tits

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »
HangING out in the bee yard & what do I see? One girl telling her sisters about a food source through interpretive dance! It's called the waggle dance & it's accurate w/in 15 ft. Better than GPS right there. Turd-ass drones land on her/interrupt since they don't forage.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0fqYDfGzs
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:18:54 AM by I sniff my own butthole all the time »

shark tits

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
Not for sure how long to leave the 3rd floor (honey super) on but it's looking like my grrrls might make excess honey their first year. I've got really great bees!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9hRDy3F2Y

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
I'm happy for you dude, very cool. And it makes for interesting reading too, being able to interpret their dances is pretty wild.

shark tits

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
Preciate ya, botefdunn. Here's vid from today. It's my understanding that they can survive off whats stored in 2 deep floors so anything on the smaller 3rd floor is fair game. Only got 2 stings, great bees!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5_S0-L_fSg

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
Only a little related, but I really liked the bees in this book. It's science fiction

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/202148.Flyboy_Action_Figure_Comes_with_Gas_Mask

shark tits

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:41 AM »
my girls are mostly clustered for the winter [when it breaks 40 they come outside to crap and stretch] but this video is inspiring. VSH bees can smell varroa mites inside a larvae/pupae's cell, break it open and abort the infected bee and destroy the mite! revolutionary because this mite [varroa destructo] has wreaked more havoc than neonicotine pesticides, humans encroaching and all the other bullshit collectively referred to as CCD. i bought a 2nd hive and just waiting to decide if i want to buy the same italian/carnolian bees [wonderful, gentle bees that gave me 18 pound of honey the first year!] or russians, VSH or some other hardier but less friendly bee. also, i got my bees from the south and it might behoove me to get some local ladies who we know can overwinter in our climate.
keep yuz posted!
VSH-Bee-Behavior

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
How the bees doing? Did you up your hive count?
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

shark tits

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »
i'm in massachusetts so i can't get a new nuc [package of bees] til late april/early may but i ordered all my woodenware and have it in a hallway, waiting for inhabitants.
the ones i've got, about a wk ago it was in the 40s and they were out using the bathroom but the past wk has been 20s-30s so they're all clustered together for warmth. i hope they're ok, i knocked on the hive hoping they would buzz irritatedly to let me know they're there but i couldn't hear anything. i'm sure they're good, i just hope they have enough honey/low mite counts to survive until spring when i can survey whether they need mite treatments or not.
i like the idea of 'treatment free' [kind of like organic] bees but if you've gotta give them medicine to keep em alive it's better than letting them die.
lots of treatment free beekeepers think our domestication and treatments have made them weak [makes sense].
so yeah, i'll have 2 next spring and i'd love to get more if i had a friend/relative in the area who'd let me throw some bees on their yard but most people are scared.

shark tits

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
when i laced my girls w/ pollen yesterday i thought they looked weak. today, w/ warmer temps i realize that my girls are strong! thank goodness they like me or could've tore me a new asshole. i was gonna put some bee candy on them but i almost would have to suit up to deal w/ this mob. [or not, they are gentle bees]
Worcester bees

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
when i laced my girls w/ pollen yesterday i thought they looked weak. today, w/ warmer temps i realize that my girls are strong! thank goodness they like me or could've tore me a new asshole. i was gonna put some bee candy on them but i almost would have to suit up to deal w/ this mob. [or not, they are gentle bees]
Worcester bees

yay! this is nice weather

shark tits

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
happy spring soulstice!
if you see that yellow stuff, that was a pollen patty. obviously the girls been hungry cause it's no longer rectangular. this 2nd fondant aka bee candy [i like using the phrase 'bee candy'] is sposedta help them bridge across one frame to the next and not starve in the proverbial belly of a whale. this time next month i'll be kissing my bees [hopefully 2 hives] goodbye and going to nebraska to play w/ someone else's bees.
Last day of winter X bee candy

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
I would never imagine that "bee candy" was a thing. Raising bees through the winter never really occurred to me as a necessity... guess I learned something today. Nice bees! Someday I'll raise them too, hopefully.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »
happy spring soulstice!
if you see that yellow stuff, that was a pollen patty. obviously the girls been hungry cause it's no longer rectangular. this 2nd fondant aka bee candy [i like using the phrase 'bee candy'] is sposedta help them bridge across one frame to the next and not starve in the proverbial belly of a whale. this time next month i'll be kissing my bees [hopefully 2 hives] goodbye and going to nebraska to play w/ someone else's bees.
Last day of winter X bee candy

your bees dank.

shark tits

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
thanks, somethingmustbreaknow!
20matar, you don't have much of a winter, do you? that bodes well for keeping bees and not having to supplement them in times of dearth.
what doesn't bode well is brazil is where european X african bees mated and started the hybrid 'killer bees' or 'africanized'. they're hardy and prolific but they're supposedly no fun to work [except in puerto rico where genetically 'africanized' bees lack the defensiveness endemic to their genes]. nobody knows why but perhaps it has to do w/ rainfall? like in the states AHB go from texas west but haven't gained a strong foothold in the southeast.
here's some more of my ladies enjoying the weather today.
Gratuitous bee footage

shark tits

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »
kinda crazy that from last winter when i started this thread til now i've successfully overwintered my bees and i've got an intern i'm training. ideally i'd have a few to help my mom w/ this hive and install my 2nd jawn if it comes while i'm away. my other buddy is getting bees this yr so i'm building a little community, pretty hyped on that.
they're clustered towards the top of the hive amidst bee candy and pollen patties w/ mad honey stored. my freind was reticent but all those bees and no stings. total sweethearts!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2017, 10:07:43 AM »
Added bonus is you now have an all white everything bee suit in your wardrobe.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2017, 06:16:07 PM »
The mental image of bees just eating a chunk of foundant is too much for me to bear. Good thing there are pictures. Your girls are awesome!

shark tits

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
it's a cumbersome kit, soda. i'd look like a fencer trying to skate but i prolly could wear it to the bar and make out w/ girls.
thanks 20matar. look what my girls laced me w/ last yr!
the dark almost red honey is better than anything at the store but the lighter colored stuff damn near made me juice myself! wish i knew what flowers went into it cause i would for sure plant more.
only got one frame since winter is barely over but come june, i'll be able to lace everyone i fuck w/.
Last yrs honey

shark tits

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
got out in the field today, quick inspection of the 2nd floor. seen some open brood, some pollen, some capped brood and some honey. my deputy beekeeper freaked out and dropped a frame!
it was distressing, not least of all to the bees!
somehow nobody got stung even though he deserved it for that move [until later he was stung independent of that act] and we continued the inspection. next wk i'm gonna put a new floor on it and reverse the first and 2nd stories to 'trick' the bees out of swarming. soon after it's gonna be time to put honey supers on and a month later, take em away.
i might have some excess wax down the way if people are into skate candles.....
April 9, 2017
Honey!!!