Author Topic: does anyone keep bees?  (Read 15090 times)

somethingmustbreaknow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
Re: does anyone keep bees?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
diggging it.
have gnar.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
got out in the field today, quick inspection of the 2nd floor. seen some open brood, some pollen, some capped brood and some honey. my deputy beekeeper freaked out and dropped a frame!
it was distressing, not least of all to the bees!
somehow nobody got stung even though he deserved it for that move [until later he was stung independent of that act] and we continued the inspection. next wk i'm gonna put a new floor on it and reverse the first and 2nd stories to 'trick' the bees out of swarming. soon after it's gonna be time to put honey supers on and a month later, take em away.
i might have some excess wax down the way if people are into skate candles.....
April 9, 2017
Honey!!!

Killin it man!!!
Gentleman ninja warlock

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »
I think it's time to ramp up production, the planet depends on you.

shark tits

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
i'm not sure who killed her or why but i'll know on sunday if we need to replace her or the bees already have. Queen substance will inundate the hive for 72 hours and keep the bees productive and happy but once it dissipates they'll know she's dead, throw down their tools and strike. but also riot. i'm hoping they had a new queen or this was a new queen and the old one who laid so well for me survived [she looked a lot like this though].
Dead queen bee

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 02:30:46 AM »
i'm not sure who killed her or why but i'll know on sunday if we need to replace her or the bees already have. Queen substance will inundate the hive for 72 hours and keep the bees productive and happy but once it dissipates they'll know she's dead, throw down their tools and strike. but also riot. i'm hoping they had a new queen or this was a new queen and the old one who laid so well for me survived [she looked a lot like this though].
Dead queen bee
The Queen is dead, long live the Queen!

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2017, 11:39:51 PM »
Have you ever tried eating the larvae?

"Crickets might be the most accessible, but I think one of the best places to start might be bee larvae. One of the things I find exciting about bees is in many places they are a by-product of beekeeping. Beekeepers are keeping bees all over the world, and many are removing these male bee larvae, or drone brood, as a strategy to reduce the population of this parasite called the Varroa mite, which many scientists think is one of the contributing factors to colony collapse disorder."

http://www.avclub.com/article/ever-growing-case-eating-insects-253764

shark tits

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2017, 07:13:44 AM »
Have you ever tried eating the larvae?

"Crickets might be the most accessible, but I think one of the best places to start might be bee larvae. One of the things I find exciting about bees is in many places they are a by-product of beekeeping. Beekeepers are keeping bees all over the world, and many are removing these male bee larvae, or drone brood, as a strategy to reduce the population of this parasite called the Varroa mite, which many scientists think is one of the contributing factors to colony collapse disorder."

http://www.avclub.com/article/ever-growing-case-eating-insects-253764

funny you should ask. no i haven't yet but i don't want to use chemicals on my bees to rid them of varroa mites so removing [and freezing] a frame of drone brood is going to be one of my 'treatment free' treatments.
and i've considered eating the drones behind this article or one like it. spose it comes down to how i'm feeling mid-summer when it's time to freeze the drones, i'm not aghast at the idea.
sposedta requeen today if the rain lets up. buying a 'varroa sensitive hygenic' queen who's daughters are sposedta be able to detect and remove mites from inside cells where they are feasting on larva. seems too good to be true but we'll see.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
Damn please try to make a larvae taco like this:

and post a review.

I really liked that interview, that section about "bee bread" was really interesting too.
I'm gonna order that book for my mom for Mother's Day, and read it quick before I give it to her.

shark tits

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
it looks good as hell on that dia de los muertos pano, childhood!
i'll see about eating some drone brood in mid-summer.
my deputy came by today and we installed a new Queen. either they accept her and feed her or they gather around her in a ball and suffocate her. from videos usually she comes w/ a few 'handlers' but this one is alone in her cage. i couldn't tell if the worker bees came in peace or war but i did see a proboscis going into the hole which leads me to believe a little friendly 'trophallaxis' or 'breaking bread' is going on. bees feed each other mouth to mouth or in certain cases of newborn bees, ass to mouth.
anal trophallaxis, as described by rosario dawson.
so i'll pop the top in 3 days time and see if the Queen has been liberated from her cell and accepted as the new matriarch or if the bees have turned on her in a suicidal bid to raise their own queen.. tbc....
Queen install

shark tits

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »
hey ya'll, having the time of my life at bee camp! we created a swarm, caught another, installed packages, now the newbies are learning to graft queens [we work traders learned last wk]. life is good!
everyone's geared up except me, they called me 'bee whisperer'. skating has made me tough to where a few stings ain't no thing.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Killing it as always, Shark Tits. Especially now that the sun is out! You should definitely mail some bees to your PALs so more people can get started. Although I'm sure there is a hive nearby, we're having too many bees flying in my home.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
There is at least 30 words in this post I don't understand lol.

I bet that honey is unreal good. I have a local beefarm that produces on a small scale, but the honey is fuckin top notch.

So sick what your doing man!
Gentleman ninja warlock

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »
Killing it as always, Shark Tits.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »

fullcab

• Rep: -16
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
How much you slangin a jar for?

shark tits

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
prolly $20 a pound, fullcab. here is our updated 'american gothic' w/ rusty's hoodie X bandana.

shark tits

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
i've always wanted to stick my hand into a swarm of bees and feel blessed to have been afforded the opportunity. shit was amazing! started a mini trend whereby everyone else wanted a pic w/ their hand in the amorphous ball of bee humanity.
touching a swarm
here's me dumping out a package so we could make the swarm above. then a natural swarm happened while this was going! incredible experience!
pouring out a package of bees

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »
super dank!

shark tits

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
can you spot the queen?
Vsh queen of grafton hill

shark tits

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »
honey flow is on!
i'm not gonna screw myself like i did last yr so every time i make a jar for someone i make a big one for myself.
gotta get boxes and ready to ship.
honey frames july 2017 grafton hill bees

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2017, 11:06:58 PM »
pretty dope. always hyped on new shark tits'
posts in this thread. either way i get to know
and see something about bees and honey &
it all confirms that you are well and alive tits.

shark tits

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
thanks a lot, somethingmustbreaknow!
got out there today and added a 4th floor to my 2nd hive [got em in may] and borrowed this frame offa hive one, my hive from 2016. my girl got zapped twice and i had a bee land on my ankle and stab me through the sock but mostly they seemed really relaxed considering this time last yr we were in full on nectar dearth and they were defending their stores w/ their lives.
whoever was contemplating getting bees, make it happen. it's up there w/ skating as far as great hobbies.
http://youtu.be/qGH-6Yl3QMQ
this ain't why i do it but what a great ancillary benefit!  my bees rule so fucking hard!
light and dark honeycomb

wheelies

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »
dude the shit is lookin fuckin good I'm finna grow and produce hella shit when I can get some land

shark tits

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2017, 10:53:07 PM »
autopsy and truncated explanation of varroa mites.
thanks bawtawd, you definitely should live a range life if you can settle down. then you would settle down.
removing varroa mites from frozen bees

shark tits

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
a bee tree got felled at my mom's work so i got called to do my first ever 'cutout' or 'bee transplant'.
my beekeeping gf just left me so that sucked but my mom knows bees and her coworker manned the chainsaw. grabbed thousands of bees, a lotta honey, alotta fucking shit and made it back home. i hope they get sitauted, not robbed by my 2 pre-existing hives and keep doing god's work. had a few bites of honey from the comb, bruin style. oh muh god!
Bee related
Midwife skills
From grafton to grafton hill, bees have arrived

shark tits

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »
i know it's insects not mammals but picture you saved a dog and come home a month later and your other dogs are devouring her.
i think i'm gonna write a short story about these poor bees, Alamo brave and eternal fidelity.
*taps playing
my poor feral hive getting robbed

Guy Ferrari

• Rep: 6
  • Welcome to Flavortown
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2017, 04:13:36 PM »
Just sat here and read through this whole thread. Amazing work! i just learned so much rad shit about bees that i didn't know. really awesome work you're doing. gotta replenish our ecosystem.

shark tits

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
hey gang, not much going on bee-wise in new england. before i got into bees i thought they died or hibernated all winter so this is still neat or novel to me. that white stuff is bee candy, basically sugar boiled into a rock like hard cocaine. i'll prolly put some more on them later to supplement til they can forage again in april.
really i just like to see my bees whenever i can like a rich man checks his balance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHiUqUkwNBQ&feature=youtu.be

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
Bees ain't shit but hos and tricks.

shark tits

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:35 PM »
that cold snap killed the hell outta my bees. i'm an optimist so instead of loosing 2 hives, i just came up on 200 lbs of honey. well not 'instead' but as well as. win some, loose some. hopefully i can sell a bunch of honey, buy some new NUC's [nucleus colonies] and i'll rebuild my apiary in spring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG76SKYQdsA